Chapter 84 – Eighteen (II)
281 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the novel, I invited Catherine to my birthday ball for the sole sake of bullying her, providing a convenient opportunity for Damian to stand up for her and for them to grow closer. As a main part of my strategy was simply limiting her exposure to the male leads, I dealt with this event by merely making sure her invitation got lost in the mail. On my birthday, I just wanted to cherish the moment without being reminded of my scripted fate. 

Unfortunately, that didn’t seem likely now. I hadn’t been able to relax completely since Catherine joined high society, and seeing her on my brother’s arm didn’t help. I hadn’t expected Damian to invite her as his partner, but I supposed this occasion was as good as any other for us to communicate properly. 

“Happy birthday, Lady Valentina!”

“My best wishes for your birthday, my sweet Val, and for another splendid year to come.”

Catherine beamed while Damian smirked at me. He must’ve helped with her appearance, because she looked so nice that she almost fitted in, if not for her peasant’s composure. I smiled sweetly. 

“Thank you very much, Lady Catherine, Damian. I’m glad to have you both in my life. Please enjoy yourselves tonight.”

With the standard greetings over, I turned away and sought my next target. If one brought a partner, it was etiquette to have the first dance with them, or the first available dance, like my special case today. Damian was socially required to have the first dance with Catherine, and though I could try asking him to make an exception like Father did, it would be very awkward if he were so far gone that he refused. It was depressing that it could be a real prospect. 

Nevertheless, after the first dance, one could dance with whoever one wanted, like one’s brother’s best friend, to set him up with the girl unconsciously seducing one’s brother. It didn’t take me long to find Kyle. Our eyes met, and he approached me willingly with a tight-lipped smile. 

“Good evening, Lord Kyle. Would you like to have this dance with me? We could discuss certain things.”

“Yes, I agree. We definitely need to talk.”

- - -

Catherine couldn’t stop smiling as the music began and Lord Damian took her hand. In fact, she hadn’t been able to stop smiling since he’d arrived at the Bryant mansion with an entire outfit as a gift, and more importantly, himself. She felt a constant unfamiliar warmth in her chest, and she liked it a lot. 

“I must say, Lady Catherine, you look lovely tonight.”

“Thank you! You know, that’s a compliment to you too, since you picked out everything. Thanks so much again. I’ve never seen jewels this big!”

Lord Damian chuckled and spun her. He was still the only one that could do that without making her almost fall or step on him!

“You’re very welcome. After all, such beautiful jewels deserve to belong to a charming lady like yourself! Indeed, I’m afraid the emerald necklace pales in comparison to your dazzling eyes.”

Catherine blushed and giggled. He was too kind, just like his sister. 

“But I’m not pretty at all! Really, Lord Damian, I truly appreciate you asking me to come with you, despite all my flaws.”

“There’s no need to be so modest, darling. However, do tell me, have I plagued your mind as you have haunted mine?”

Catherine’s eyes widened and her cheeks reddened. She couldn’t possibly admit that he was the face she now imagined whenever she read a romance novel, because of how absolutely perfect he was. Even to herself, she’d been denying the realization, because she didn’t want to disappoint Uncle. Still, as good as Lord Damian had been to her, the least she could offer was the truth. 

“I guess it depends. Have you thought about me much?”

“Not a day goes by that I don’t wish to see you again. Since this afternoon, when I finally had the fortune to be in your company once more, I’ve felt nothing but pure bliss.”

Catherine’s heart pounded so loudly that she almost tripped, but Lord Damian caught her. She gazed into his ardent purple eyes, then turned away, flushing. 

“A-ah, I see…”

Her mind went blank, but before she could think of a response, Lord Damian began a new topic. 

“Your dancing has improved since last time, Lady Catherine. My spell to guide wandering feet away from my shoes isn’t activating quite as often! I strengthened it just for you, you know.”

The intense quality of his voice that had been pressuring her a mere moment earlier was gone and replaced by a light playfulness. A twinkle entered his eyes, and their fervour faded into the background, yet lingered there, threatening to return at any minute. 

The confusion only made her more flustered, as her heart beat fast in anticipation of when they would stray back to the original topic. Maybe it was what he intended! Regardless, Catherine protested with burning cheeks. 

“I wasn’t that bad at dancing, was I? In any case, I got better because I had a lot of practice!”

“Oh? Do you go to balls very frequently?”

“Yes, since Father wants me to. I want to fit in with everyone!”

“You don’t need to do that, darling. You’re cute enough as you are, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.”

If it could only be so easy with Prince Oscar! Catherine didn’t like all the work trying to become similar to Lady Valentina to replace her when Lady Valentina already existed and was happy with His Highness. Yet as she currently was, Father had said it was impossible for the prince or anyone else to be interested in her. She must learn how to be a proper lady, and though she worked her hardest, she knew her reputation was still dissatisfactory to Father. 

“Lord Damian, thank you for being so nice to me.”

“It’s all your own charm, darling, and because we’re friends, aren’t we?”

“E-eh? I don’t know, but I would love to be!”

“Then do forgive my impudence, but would you care for something more?”

He whispered the words in her ears, a position their dance had somehow gotten them in, making her shiver delightfully. When he leaned back, the vigour had returned to his eyes. It took Catherine’s breath away, luring her in and tempting her further. Her legs felt weak. 

“What do you mean, Lord Damian?”

“Frankly, Lady Catherine, you’re unlike any other girl I’ve ever met, and I’ve met a fair share, so believe me when I say not a single one is as wonderful as you. From the moment I first saw you, I knew you’d be different, but I could have never imagined how adorable you are.”

He paused briefly, letting her take it in. She was grateful, because otherwise her heart might have burst with a mixture of excitement, happiness and fear. He continued once she’d regained enough of her senses to hear him. 

“I simply can’t keep you off my mind, and I fear that’s begun to even interfere with my work! As you know, I’m the best mage there is, and we wouldn’t want to damage a valuable asset for the kingdom.”

Catherine giggled. Lord Damian smiled, and it was the best thing she had ever seen. 

“I know we haven’t known each other very long, and I understand if you think I’m mad. I think that way about myself sometimes, though I assure you I don’t do this often. Still, I have to ask, and all I humbly beg of you is to consider. Darling, won’t you let me court you?”

Catherine felt that if she were a proper lady, she would have fainted gracefully into his arms. Instead, she trembled with emotions. It was the romance novel proposal she’d always wanted, and she was filled with nervous joy. Nervous, because she couldn’t possibly accept it! Father and Uncle would be upset if she did, and yet she so desperately wanted to. 

“I-I’m absolutely honoured, Lord Damian. Um, c-could I think about it?”

“Of course, darling. Take as long as you need. I’ll wait for an eternity, if I have to.”

When he spoke like that, her heart couldn’t help but melt into sweet warmness. She was making little progress with Prince Oscar, not to mention the immense guilt whenever she thought of Lady Valentina. Yet her life had always been centered around Uncle, and Uncle wanted her to marry the prince, no matter what. She thought of his disapproving expression and swallowed. 

Uncle had taught her to be a good and appreciative girl. Her priority was repaying him, and nothing else. If she courted Lord Damian and later broke it off, it might hurt him, and by extension, hurt Lady Valentina even more. 

Nevertheless, a tiny spark of hope remained. When she got home, she would ask Uncle. In the end, he would make sure everyone was happy. Yes, Uncle would know what to do. 

- - -

Damian observed the girl in front of him with mild displeasure. 

Beneath the charming smile, he was frowning, not that Catherine could notice. No one could, except his sweet Val. They’d received the same education from Mother on reading people and manipulating them, the best there was, which was why it was odd that Catherine was not yet head over heels in love with him. He supposed he wasn’t lying when he said she wasn’t like any girl he’d met. 

He was annoyed that Catherine was not yet crushed under his affection. Her expression was strangely faraway and tense, different from her usual brightness and almost similar to what he’d at times see on Valentina when they were young, usually when their parents did something particularly nice for her. 

It interested him that he should be intrigued. His feelings were typically reserved for Valentina, his parents, and occasionally Kyle. Catherine was merely a tool to provoke a reaction from his precious sister and to amuse himself with, like all his other lady friends. Yet her unsophisticated and cute manner was a breath of fresh air, something new that he liked very much, and he found her extremely entertaining. Nearly enough to distract him temporarily from the thought of his sister, a feat no one had accomplished before. 

Damian glanced at his precious sister, who was dancing with Kyle. His friend was preferable to that horrible fiance of hers, as he was too dull for his darling Val to ever find him appealing. How he longed to keep her all to himself! But before he could lose himself in a daydream, he felt his shoe spell trigger again and caught Catherine just as she was about to fall. 

The girl smiled shyly, probably more genuine than anything Val had ever shown him. His heart skipped a beat. 

“Maybe I’m still bad at dancing, but I just need more practice, right?”

“If you practice with me, I can make you the best dancer in the kingdom. I’d rather not, though, so I could be the only one you can dance with when you’ve scared off all the other gentlemen.”

In any case, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get to know Lady Catherine better.

10