Chapter 94 – Engagement (II)
317 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the novel, this was about when the original Valentina struck out seriously, albeit stupidly, for the first time. She went to a tea party Catherine held and used the opportunity to sneak in a maid, who then disguised herself as one of House Bryant’s servants. The maid poisoned the tea before serving it to Catherine, but Sophia, her friend with barely any presence, realized the matter was suspicious and told Catherine not to drink it. 

Valentina stormed out in the fashion of a true villainess, upset that her ridiculous plan didn’t work. Sophia had the tea tested and they found out it was indeed poisoned, but Catherine decided not to tell anyone, since she knew House Bryant could never win against House Avington. The affair was brushed over until later, when she told Oscar about it, and it was the final straw that made him break off the engagement. 

In this life, I knew that I unfortunately couldn’t kill Catherine directly because it would risk awakening her divine powers. However, her personal maid was already poisoning her slowly to weaken her and to render her infertile, Sophia was studying happily on the other side of the world, and unpopular as she was, Catherine wasn’t planning any gatherings. 

This event could have been prevented altogether, replaced with my engagement reception in a few days, which I had pushed forward from its original schedule in the novel of next February, to fit in with the rest of my plan. As part of said plan, and also for my own enjoyment, I decided to hold a tea party with my friends to celebrate in advance. 

“Congratulations, Lady Valentina.”

“Mother said that the declaration was the most romantic thing that had ever happened in the parliament!”

“Lady Valentina, you’re so lucky!”

I included just my usual close friends to uphold the sense of exclusivity the king’s dinner was going for. Though they were all influential, the reception was so selective that Delilah was the only one out of them who was invited, as a future duchess. Catherine was obviously not on the list, but I’d brought her to the tea party as entertainment. 

“Thank you so much for inviting me, Lady Valentina! Congratulations on your engagement!”

“Thank you, Lady Catherine. I’m indeed very glad that my relationship with His Highness is able to move forward, despite the misunderstandings we had to overcome.”

Her bright green eyes widened with guilt, but I’d long mastered the art of suppressing laughter. I was also happy to see that she seemed to have grown paler and more frail over the summer, which meant the poison was working. Soon, she’d wilt away quietly, and no one would care. Everything I had would be safe, except the nuisance with Damian, but I didn’t want to think about that. 

We sat down around the table in the beautiful greenhouse of our mansion, and tea was served. I noted with satisfaction the current arrangement of maids. Zoe was away working as my secretary instead of wasting her talents on physical chores, Tia had become an excellent servant under my command instead of supporting Catherine, and presently attended to us with proper professionalism, and Catherine’s own maid at home was poisoning her everyday. These domestic affairs may be small, but they added up. 

The conversation began and immediately flowed chaotically, because everyone wanted to talk about themselves and hear about everyone else. It was fun, the kind one could only have with dear friends. 

“So, how was everyone’s summer? I was rather busy, managing the new spices business Mother just gave me full control over. It’s the first one I’m running all by myself.”

“Congratulations! I was out riding most of the time. We just bought some splendid new horses from Alcastor, and they’re awfully fierce. I had no trouble taming them, of course.”

“It was so hot that I stayed inside most of the time, but I suppose I was productive. My new poetry anthology is almost ready to be published.”

“I, as you know, attended the demon subjugation. It was a truly exciting and educational experience, and I’m glad I’ve prevented those horrific monsters from terrifying our civilians.”

When the most important updates about ourselves had been shared, the chatter calmed a little between topics. Catherine had been sitting quietly, cut off whenever she tried to join in, so I shot a glance at Annalise and Delilah. It was time for her to pay for more than the annoyance she’d caused me. Annalise smirked. 

- - -

Catherine was happily startled when Lady Annalise spoke to her.  She’d listened with fascination to the interesting lives of the other ladies, and had longed to join in. She smiled. 

“What did you do over the summer, Lady Catherine? Compose music? Read? Play sports?”

“Ah, I was busy with lessons!”

“What kinds? Are you preparing to apply to the academy? Obtain a degree?”

“No, just etiquette and dancing and piano, and things like that. I never knew they were so difficult!”

“Hm? But surely, as you’re of noble birth, these things should come naturally to you. We never had to spend all summer studying. What else did you do?”

“U-um, I suppose I read a bit.”

Catherine wasn’t sure she liked this turn of the conversation. The other ladies chimed in. 

“Have you done the analysis of jewellry in The Affairs of Abbeyton Manor yet? Such a classic to examine.”

“I’m working on volume two! I’m having a bit of a hard time understanding the significance, to be honest.”

“Seriously? I published essays on all the necklaces one summer because I was bored. I know not everyone has the same appreciation for it, but every lady must know the symbolism of the sapphire scorpion in volume four. You must’ve done something worthwhile?”

“I-I mean…”

Catherine tried to defend herself, but she couldn’t think of anything, because she knew the ladies spoke the truth. She eventually gave up and stared into her teacup, shrinking into her seat. If she’d worked harder over the summer and all her life, perhaps she would've known how to answer. Oh no, was she being a disgrace to House Bryant, like Lady Bryant had feared she would? 

She glanced pleadingly at Lady Valentina, but she was absorbed in a private conversation with Lady Annalise, not that Catherine blamed her. She had already been kind enough to invite her that she couldn’t possibly ask for every moment of her attention, especially when she was so wanting. So, Catherine tried to learn from the ladies’ questions, doing her best to keep tears from welling up in her eyes. She was failing miserably when a slight movement suddenly caught her eye. 

Lady Delilah raised her teacup to her lips. It was not an unusual act in any way, but the elegant strength behind it summoned attention. Her beauty was different from Lady Valentina’s, but Catherine felt the same awe at her air of utter sophistication. 

“My, my, I believe we’re being too harsh on Lady Catherine. After all, we must take her upbringing into consideration. It’s not her fault she never learned to appreciate literature appropriately, no?”

Her tone was gracefully firm, mesmerizing anyone who heard it into agreeing. The ladies assented readily and moved on to the next topic, as if Lady Delilah had ordered it silently. Catherine gazed at her saviour with gratitude and admiration. Lady Annalise finished her conversation with Lady Valentina and turned her head around to rejoin the chatter.

“How was your summer, Delilah?”

“Good, thank you. I had the most provoking correspondence with talented mages about the newest developments in magic.”

Lady Valentina looked at Lady Delilah with a meaningful smile. 

“Damian mentioned that he enjoyed your letters very much and wouldn’t stop going on about how your ability to comprehend the engineering of spells is exceptional.”

“He flatters me, but my understanding is basic compared to his.”

“Nonetheless, it’s wonderful that you have such a good relationship. I’m glad you’ll be attending my engagement together.”

Lady Delilah smiled, the perfect demure lady. Catherine bit her lip, a conflicting set of emotions rising in her chest. She was glad that Lady Delilah and Lord Damian were happy. She was still confused about what she felt and how to answer Lord Damian’s request, so it was good he wasn’t limiting himself to only her. Still, she was slightly upset, even though she had no right to be, especially since Lord Damian wasn’t the only one on her mind over the past months. 

The rest of the tea party was relatively peaceful, with the other ladies enjoying themselves thoroughly and Catherine feeling wholly inadequate in every topic. The attention she received was never good, though thankfully it never lasted for long. Lady Delilah or Lady Valentina always swooped in to rescue her before she broke down completely. 

The tea party ended long after tea time, when every topic possible had been exhausted. Lady Valentina stood up. 

“Thank you all for coming to celebrate my engagement together, my precious friends. This afternoon is a memory I’ll cherish forever, and I look forward to having you at my wedding. As promised, I’ll have someone send the recipes for the cakes today as soon as possible. Have a splendid rest of your evening!”

The ladies began bidding each other farewell, and Catherine went to say goodbye to Lady Valentina, but her answer surprised her. 

“Actually, could you stay behind a bit, Lady Catherine? I’d like to have a small chat with you when everyone’s gone.”

“S-sure!”

Catherine had no idea what she wanted to talk about. Well, on further reflection, that wasn’t true. She had one very good idea involving a certain opera and a prince who was about to get engaged, as the memory was still haunting her. But there hadn’t been too much gossip about it, so Lady Valentina couldn’t know, right? And if she did, she must be very understanding, because she hadn’t seemed angry at all… Ack, the guilt she felt!

When all the other ladies had left, Lady Valentina gestured for Catherine to sit down next to her. She obeyed, and her friend began talking. 

“I have a difficult request to make, Lady Catherine.”

“I’ll do anything, Lady Valentina! You’ve done so much for me that I’d like to repay you in any way I can!”

Oh no, oh no, oh no. Catherine wished there was anything she could do for Lady Valentina that wouldn’t go against Uncle and Father. She’d do it in a heartbeat, if she could, but she was almost certain this had to do with Prince Oscar. Thus, Lady Valentina’s next words came completely unexpected. 

“Thank you, Lady Catherine. You see, I’ve known Lady Delilah practically since I was born, and I love her as much as a sister.”

“H-huh? Oh, yes, she’s very kind!”

“She is a true lady through and through, and I want nothing but happiness for her. Now, she and my brother have admired each other since they were very young, and it’s widely known that one day they will likely be married.”

Catherine took a second to process this, as she was still recovering from the relief that this wasn’t about Prince Oscar, and the ensuing guilt caused by said relief. When she grasped Lady Valentina’s meaning, her heart sank a little. 

“Oh… I didn’t know.”

“That’s perfectly all right. They’re both highly influential figures, so they’re choosing to take their time and focus on their careers at present. However, it would be ideal to avoid any misunderstandings. Due to their positions, they’re especially prone to rumours, and your attendance at my birthday together has caused quite a few, and though she doesn’t show it, they’ve caused Lady Delilah considerable distress. Please, Lady Catherine, if you think us your friends, keep away from my brother.”

Lady Valentina’s gentle tone and gaze made Catherine’s heart melt. She was so good to her friends! Lady Delilah, too, was kind and deserved the best. Catherine swallowed, her eyes wide. 

“Of course! I’m so sorry I hurt Lady Delilah! I promise to stay away from now on, so don’t worry, Lady Valentina.”

Lady Valentina smiled. 

“Thank you, Lady Catherine. It was truly a pleasure to have you with me this afternoon.”

Catherine beamed at her but understood the dismissal. She headed towards the gate, her mind racing. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing that she had to stop thinking about Lord Damian, who occupied her mind far too frequently, because it meant that she could carry out Uncle’s wishes more effectively, but that was bad, because it involved Prince Oscar. 

Ever since the opera, seeing the sweet way he’d spoken about Lady Valentina, her thoughts constantly strayed to him. She liked Lord Damian, but it wasn’t comparable to the feelings she’d built up over the years for the prince, under Uncle’s lovely descriptions of the dream she could have one day, if she were good. Those feelings were currently being repressed by the weight of her friendship with Lady Valentina and her already present guilt, but she didn’t know how long she could last before running back to that fantasy. 

“Oh, Lady Catherine?”

Lady Valentina called out to her just before she exited the gate. She turned and tilted her head. Her friend was still smiling. 

“Please stay away from my fiance as well.”

Lady Valentina swirled around and left, leaving Catherine with her mouth hanging slightly open. Catherine felt a shiver down her spine, like someone was walking over her grave, but she scolded herself for being silly. 

She’d been feeling tired lately from all the studying, that was all. Lady Valentina probably hadn’t meant anything, so there was absolutely no need to be scared of her. After all, she’d been so kind to her!

8