Chapter 95 – Engagement (III)
257 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I considered wearing a white dress to my engagement, in case it was the closest I ever got to a wedding, but I decided that I would save it for the actual wedding, because surely it would happen. Thus, I wore a majestic dress of brilliant gold and red, the colours of our two houses, and the most magnificent jewellry I had.

The dinner reception hosted by the king was exclusive to emphasize the importance of the affair. Only a handful of the most powerful people were invited, and we were using the royal dining room instead of the banquet hall. This was a celebration for the future of this kingdom, because I was going to be queen. 

“Welcome, Grand Duke, Grand Duchess, and Lady Valentina. Congratulations on your engagement.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty, for your kind regards and for holding this dinner.”

“You’re very welcome, my dear girl. After all, you’ll be my daughter-in-law soon.”

He smiled, but the true feelings underneath the genial gaze were just as unreadable as his son’s thoughts. We finished exchanging greetings and went to meet the other guests. 

“Congratulations, Lady Valentina. I wish you all the best in your engagement.”

“Thank you very much, Lady Delilah. I’m glad that you’re here with me today.”

“My darling Val, I can’t believe you’re getting engaged already! Are you sure it’s not too soon?”

“Yes, Damian. I’m not a child anymore, though you’ll always be my dearest brother.”

Damian opened his mouth to say something, but Delilah pulled him away and quickly occupied him with conversation. Though it wasn’t detectable to anyone who didn’t know her well, I could see that she was smiling with pure bliss. Damian was nevertheless the picture perfect playboy, charming as ever, but with no pretense of real attachment in his composure. 

I’d done the best for Delilah with removing Catherine, so it was all up to her now. I wasn’t optimistic, so I felt a pang of sympathy for my friend, though hopefully the tactic would stall things enough for me to get rid of Catherine completely. I didn’t like the glimpse of desperation in Delilah’s eyes, betraying her usual elegance. Was that unrequited misery how the original Valentina felt?

“Good evening, Lady Valentina.”

“Good evening, Your Highness.”

At least now, I had something better to aim for. My past life’s trauma had given me ambition, so I could focus on the crown instead of the prince. However, I did enjoy seeing Oscar and knowing that he probably liked me more than he did in the novel. Regardless, it was a pleasant surprise when he quietly spoke his next words. 

“After this, I would like to spend time with you alone.”

I glanced around to ensure that no one could hear, and murmured back to him. 

“I’ll look forward to it.”

He was the male lead and definitely a gentleman, so I wasn’t sure what kind of ‘time’ he had planned, but I was happy that he wanted to spend it with me. 

“Dinner will now begin!”

We streamed into the dining room. The king sat at the head of the table, with me to his left and Oscar to his right, so we faced each other. The queen sat next to her son with her mask of pretentious grace, across from my father’s intimidating countenance. The atmosphere was tense at this end of the table. 

As everyone took their seat, King Henry lifted his glass, which was already filled with wine.

“We gather here today to celebrate the engagement of my son, Prince Oscar, my heir and the next king of Orilon, to Lady Valentina, the future Grand Duchess of Avington and God’s saint. They have been betrothed since they were both children, for nine years now, during which they’ve grown and matured together. This is certainly a union that will bring happiness and prosperity, and I’m confident in the prospects of this kingdom, in such hands that have already proven themselves to be brilliant and continue to do so everyday.”

He raised his glass, regal as I would one day be.

“To Prince Oscar and Lady Valentina. May their future be bright and fruitful!”

There was a round of applause, and we all drank. My father was next, grim as was his persona, but proud. 

“From a tender age, my daughter has been talented in many aspects. She’s the jewel of this generation, and I could not have been more proud to see her shine and succeed. It came as no shock to me that she was chosen by God, as she is the greatest blessing to ever grace this humble earth. Prince Oscar has always been a courteous young man, and he has proven himself to the extent that my daughter believes him worthy of her. I, too, admit that he has capabilities, which have earned my respect.”

Appropriately and truly, a tear welled up in my eye. My dad from my old life never got to see me married, but Father would, and I would want him there. 

“To Prince Oscar and Lady Valentina. May they both be strong and thrive.”

The response was appropriately earnest, while maintaining poise. With that, the dinner began. The food was delightful, as always, and the conversation pleasant. I spoke carefully but intelligently with the king, Father and Oscar ate in piercing silence, and Mother and Queen Josephine exchanged a pretty battle of words. 

“I heard your newest venture is going well, Lady Valentina?”

“Yes, Your Majesty. The coal business is quite blooming, and I think our exports will exceed our imports this year.”

The king assented approvingly, but the situation down the table was not so kind.

“I’m sure you gave your daughter an excellent education in finance, Grand Duchess, given your background.”

“Indeed, Your Majesty. There is nothing like real life practice, after all. I’ve always thought it far more useful compared to mere economic theory.”

“Perhaps, but I’ve habitually believed that honesty and integrity are the most important things in both trade and ruling.”

“Yet a comfortable lifestyle is necessary for sustaining dignity, don’t you agree? Though of course, I understand that not everyone possesses the talent needed for gathering such resources.”

“A true well-bred lady relies not on the materials around her, but the sophistication she was born and raised with.”

“You certainly set an intriguing example, Your Majesty.”

Father laughed and Mother smiled sweetly. The queen’s lip twitched, but her smile did not waver. Oscar paid no attention to either side except when beckoned by his mother to look up and display his handsome face, or when called upon by his father to contribute his opinions on present affairs. 

After dessert was the part I’d been looking forward to the most. When King Henry saw that people were finishing with their food, he gestured to a servant and gathered the attention of the room. 

“To bind this engagement, let the rings our two houses have prepared be exchanged.”

A procession of servants emerged from both sides of the room. Zoe led the one from our side, wearing a fine black dress and carrying a black velvet cushion. Similarly, the prince’s valet came from the other side. They went around the table so all the guests could observe and marvell at the rings, before finally arriving back at the head of the table, on opposite sides. 

The ring we’d crafted for the prince was made with diamonds from the mine I’d discovered, the first thing I’d taken away from the female lead. It was beautifully designed, appropriately large, and coldly elegant. As he slipped it onto his finger, I was satisfied to see that it suited him just right. 

I let out a small gasp when I saw the ring that was to be mine, even though I’d seen drawings and descriptions before. As tradition, it was the engagement ring that once belonged to the first queen of Orilon, and the most beautiful accessory I’d ever seen. A large golden jewel sat in the middle, encircled by a ring of dazzling emeralds. The novel had written it with the female lead in mind, but only I could wear it with proper grandeur. I put it on graciously, claiming it as mine, this precious promise of the crown. I smiled. It fit perfectly. 

“Now, shall we head to a drawing room?”

Led by the king, we all got up and went into a drawing room nearby with games, instruments, and comfortable seating. The end of the meal was by no means the end of the evening. The guests would likely socialize late into the night and sleep in the castle, as it was such an important affair and there were many things that needed to be said, etiquette to be obeyed, and business to be arranged. Thus, it did not go unnoticed when the prince soon strode out. 

“I wonder…”

Mother’s musing was not independent of action. She glided to the group of gentlemen whose company Oscar had recently escaped and returned with a curiously triumphant glint in her eyes. 

“Why, they say His Highness wanted to get some air.”

“Oh? Perhaps I should join him. Yet I fear it may be difficult, with those ladies over there approaching.”

“Don’t worry, darling, I’ll handle them. Take advantage of the atmosphere and enjoy yourself.”

I exchanged a smirk with Mother and nodded. Carefully and politely dodging anyone looking for conversation, I made it out of the room and found the prince’s valet by the door. 

“Please come with me, Your Ladyship. His Highness is waiting for you.”

I smiled, delighted and far too excited that for once, my fiance was taking the initiative. I hadn’t expected the moment alone to be so soon, but I was looking forward to whatever he had planned. I wouldn’t allow myself to get my hopes up just yet, to imagine that he cared for me like he’d cared for Catherine in the novel, but maybe, just maybe…

9