Chapter 96 – Engagement (IV)
388 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prince’s valet led me through halls I had barely known existed, seemingly circling the castle. Occasionally, I caught glimpses of a pair dressed similarly to us but going in another direction. The valet was politely restrained in conversation, but offered an explanation.

“His Highness apologizes for the inconvenience, Your Ladyship, but the arrangements are necessary to ensure your privacy.”

“Oh? How thoughtful of him.”

I smiled, wondering what situation would require such solitude, with good expectations but slight suspicions. In any case, Mikhail followed right behind me, quiet but watchful. I knew he wouldn’t fail to keep me safe and take any secret of mine to the grave. I was also confident enough in my relationship with my fiance and his intelligence in planning to somewhat trust that he wasn’t having me assassinated on our engagement night. Overall, this was a risk worth taking. 

Finally, we found ourselves at a side door of the castle. A carriage was waiting, and Oscar stood beside it. I could’ve sworn he smiled when he saw me, but it was gone in an instant, though the romance of escaping into the night made up for that. I decided to tease him. 

“This is hardly appropriate, Your Highness, to take me out here alone.”

“I apologize, but I would much rather spend the night with just you than with all those guests, Valentina. I daresay you feel the same.”

Despite his composed expression, his words were lovely to hear, the result of a decade’s work and commitment. His mention of ‘the night’ sent a pleasant shiver down my spine, and I was open to the possibility, admittedly having considered it before. It would cause quite a story, of course, but it would guarantee a marriage, and my reputation and influence with the media would pull through to spin it as a story of passionate young love instead of an unwanted scandal. 

“Indeed, I do. Thank you, Oscar.”

He offered me a hand and escorted me into the carriage, then got in himself. It started, and we sat facing each other. I studied him, wanting to keep this perfect image in my mind forever. The golden eyes, seemingly softened in the dimly lit carriage, the sculpted features I’d watch mature to possess the beauty they now did, and the soft black hair I’d always wanted to run my hands through. 

On the fourth finger of his left hand was the ring I’d crafted from jewels stolen from the rightful heroine, a shackle binding him to me. On my hand was the promise of his crown and power, to be shared with me and only me, his queen. They fitted us impeccably, like we were made for each other, the male lead and the villainess. It was not a vow of affection, the true love he could’ve had with Catherine, but I did believe we could be happy together one day.

“We’re here, Your Highness, Your Ladyship.”

The carriage had stopped outside the most popular opera house of the capitol, a spot extremely favoured by couples for its romantic atmosphere and social opportunities. We’d been here many times before, but unlike all our previous dates, this was organized by him, for once. It was the bare minimum, but I was nonetheless pleased. 

The usual entourage of attendants hurried out to greet us. Most of them seemed bewildered at this sudden visit, but the leading usher had likely been informed and welcomed us politely.

“Good evening, Your Highness and Your Ladyship. Everything is ready, if you’ll just come this way.”

They led us into the main opera hall, a grand chamber filled with people. As always, we went up to the royal box, where the best seats were. At the front of the box, the lavish chairs that normally sat there had been replaced with a plush couch. I made no comment on the change and sat down, followed by Oscar, who sat so close that it pushed the boundaries of social etiquette.

We’d arrived late to the start of the performance, but our entrance had not gone unnoticed by the other patrons. After all, in these places, it was not uncommon for aristocratic audiences to focus more on gossiping with friends and observing couples than the show itself. A round of murmur immediately arose, and a few even got up, presumably headed our way to ask why we weren’t at our engagement dinner. 

“Don’t worry,” said Oscar. “I’ve told them to not let anyone in.”

“That’s very considerate of you.”

“It’s nothing compared to everything you’ve done.”

I acknowledged the truth of that statement with a smile, but turned briefly to make sure that Mikhail stood right behind us. 

The opera was a popular one and my favourite. It started out as the story of a young couple in love and the witch that supposedly tormented them, but in the second act, the tale switched to the witch’s perspective. All three of them had complicated emotions expertly expressed in songs, but despite the epic effect, they all died tragically in the end, a fitting and strong conclusion. Thus, it was a devastatingly beautiful reminder to me that I must be willing to do whatever it takes to avoid my destined doom. 

“Odd, I don’t recall this song.”

I’d seen it enough times to realize that currently the story and music were not moving in the familiar direction, though it did fit the style of the rest of the opera. I shot a glance towards my fiance. 

“It’s an unpublished alternate ending I found in the royal library. This is the first time it’s been performed.”

“How sweet.”

I smiled, resisting the sudden urge to burst out laughing. He had been worth the effort, after all. I leaned in, watching the magic unfold and delighting in the unique joy of enjoying a piece of art for the first time. The marvellous thrill of knowing that my fiance arranged this made it even better. 

I understood why this ending was unpublished. Only the girl died, and the witch destroyed the kingdom in her pursuit of the boy, before finally cursing him to love her. They had a ‘happy’ ending while the world burned down around them. It was bittersweet but somewhat lacking in magnitude, compared to the original, as one felt it wasn’t fair nor tragic enough to fit the tone of the rest of the show. The author had been selfish, and in liking it, so was I, but it was all right. A villainess ought to be selfish, no?

“Did you like it?”

The usual performance was three hours, and this had felt like a serene eternity, except I didn’t want it to end. 

“Yes.”

I didn’t know what came over me or him or if it had been his intention all this time. I didn’t even know who started it, but we both leaned in, and the next moment my lips were on his. Perhaps it was mere hormones, perhaps it was the rush of adrenaline after an artistic masterpiece, or perhaps it was me wanting to see how far I could push things against fate tonight. As I tangled my hands in his hair, I realized I didn’t care. My heart was beating too fast for thoughts. 

I thought I was the one pushing against him, but somehow he ended up leaning over me, with me lying flat on the couch. His hands ran over my back, making my skin tingle uncontrollably. I grabbed a fistful of his shirt to pull him closer, kissing him fervently and never wanting to let go. His lips left my mouth to trail down my throat, and I arched my back as he sucked on my neck, sending shivers down my spine. Then he kissed his way up my jawline, claiming my lips a few more times, before gently biting my ear. It wrecked me. 

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted this,” I breathed, letting the confession spill out. I could feel the warmth of his body pressed against mine, and I’d never seen his golden eyes so ardent and true. 

“We could go to the hotel down the street,” he whispered. “I booked the night.”

I laughed, giddy, and kissed him again. The rational and sophisticated lady in me wanted to have a proper wedding night, and my dignity insisted on at least taking his suggestion, but really, my body was burning so fiercely that I wouldn’t have minded if he took me right there-

“That is enough, I believe.”

Out of pure reflex and rage, I almost ordered Mikhail to execute whoever just spoke. Then I recognized the voice of the queen, also my future mother-in-law, and decided that would probably be a bad idea. 

I sat up reluctantly, taking deep breaths to relieve my anger at the interruption and to make my cheeks less flushed, and so did Oscar. I stood and turned with my usual grace, smoothed out my rumpled dress, and curtsied. My voice was only a bit breathless. 

“Good evening, Your Majesty.”

“Good evening, Lady Valentina. You left the dinner so suddenly I was worried that something was wrong, and I do believe it’s rather late for you to be out. How rude of my son to not have thought of that.”

Besides me, I felt my fiance stiffen back into his cold composure. Queen Josephine had a perfectly emotionless smile that I returned courteously. In the periphery, I observed that the other aristocratic patrons of the opera were watching the scene closely and gossiping fiercely. They’d likely witnessed the whole thing, but I could deal with that later. The queen continued in her seemingly pleasant tone. 

“I understand your desire for a moment alone, yes, but I’m afraid I really do have to step in. We don’t want a scandal, do we?”

“I don’t grasp your meaning, Your Majesty. I’ve seen nothing scandalous tonight.”

Tomorrow, the media would tell the story of how much the prince and his fiancee adored each other, and make it out to be an innocently intense tale. In both my past world and this one, people believed whatever the media told them, so I’d gained control over all the major media outlets early on. The queen knew this, and it was amusing to see her lips tighten. I was no longer the little girl who could only touch her underlings, and it was time she learned that she shouldn’t and couldn’t stand in my way. 

“Be careful, Lady Valentina. That is my advice to you, and I bid you goodnight. Come, Oscar.”

Oscar kissed my hand out of etiquette, his expression impassive, and left. I watched them go, my thoughts racing too fast for me to sort them out properly.

All I knew was that this was the confirmation I’d always wanted. I was smiling with the happiness only he could give me, because for once, I truly saw hope. With his love, I would completely take everything the original female lead had. I would go against the purpose of the novel’s very existence, a simple romance that I was finally succeeding in replacing.

I would have his crown, and I would have him.

10