109 – Dreams and Nightmares – I
850 4 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had a lot to say to Blackie, but I held my tongue and focused on the current situation.

It was unexpected. Well, not completely. The fox children had said they snuck off after a group of Sky Fairies, so I expected to run into some. And since the tensions were high between the Federation and the Paradisians, I expected some conflict. But...

xxx

[Seriel Tempus Aetrium]

The commander-in-chief of the Sky Fairies. Promoted due to various events after meeting you. Currently in charge of the Sky Fairies deployed to commune with the great spirit resting within the Pagoda of Dreams. Has been looking forward to meeting you again for quite some time, especially after hearing tales about your exploits.

xxx

I calmly stuck my hand into my pockets and said, "I guess it's good to see that you're well, Miss Pries-a-lot."

The Sky Fairy, 'Seriel', giggled and said, "Well, it is hard to say that I am well... but it is a relief that a miracle worker like yourself is here."

A sudden sharp killing intent. Flone quickly moving to my side and grabbing my right arm, glaring at Seriel. "I still remember you. And no."

Another rush of movement. Seonhwa moving to my left side and pointing her spear at Seriel without saying a word.

Seriel flinched and then quickly adopted a neutral expression. "My apologies. I had no intention of crossing any bounds."

Flone kept glaring at Seriel before shifting her gaze to the other Sky Fairies. "...It had better stay that way. Your faces... I've memorized them all."

I sighed and ruffled Flone's hair with my left hand. "You're scaring the kids, Flonnie."

Since Flone rushed to my side, she left Haeya and Haeryeo behind. And since Seonhwa rushed to my other side, it meant the kids were left alone.

Well, kind of. Flone remembered to leave her spirit guardian sword things with them, so they were safe. But they did seem a bit worried.

"...You can't have any more, okay, Jihu?" Flone tugged my arm and looked at Seonhwa. "Especially since you're already starting to neglect people."

"I know, I know." After saying that, I glanced at Seonhwa.

She glanced back at me with a mixed expression, but stayed focused on Seriel, not saying a word.

Relationships were difficult.

I resisted the urge to sigh again and then gently pried Flone away. After that, I beckoned for the fox children to come over before looking back at Seriel. "How about we relax a bit and chat? It seems like a lot of things are happening, so it's better if we sort things out to not have misunderstandings. Plus, these kids have been through a pretty stressful time, so..."

"Ah." Seriel nodded. "Of course. Follow me."

xxx

Seriel led us to a makeshift camp area where the Sky Fairies had propped up tents. They also insisted on performing a ritual on us to cleanse the dangerous curse or whatever that had been killing people in this area, but considering me, that was a non-issue.

A bit of some energy manipulation, snapping weird ominous black threads, and shooing away a strange energy and that was all sorted out.

Led to a lot of weird looks from the Sky Fairies and a lot of hostility from Flone, but things were settled.

After setting up the fox children with their own little tent, along with some various toys I whipped up with my powers to keep them entertained, it was time for a serious discussion.

Seriel's tent, the biggest in the area. There, at a small folding table, me, Flone, and Seonhwa were seated across from Seriel.

The Sky Fairy poured us some tea with an apologetic smile and said, "Please forgive the lackluster hospitality. We did not anticipate hosting guests."

Flone grabbed her cup first and huffed. "...It will do."

Seonhwa grabbed hers as well and then quietly sipped.

A tense atmosphere. Flone was still having none of it and Seonhwa... seemed to have a lot on her mind. That, plus she was playing the part of the aloof Sacred Empress, so she didn't say anything.

I took my cup of tea and said, "There's no need in the first place. But thank you." I took a sip and said, "Now. Would you mind telling me what's going on?"

As I said that, I used my eyes to keep track of Flone and Seonhwa's moods.

xxx

[Flone Seol]

Your first wife is being extremely vigilant. Her intuition is telling her that something about you has changed that will make more women prone to try and enter your life. Because she cares for the friends she's made and the ones you have already chosen, she wants to make sure they aren't hurt by you callously adding more women.

[Yoo Seonhwa]

Barely maintaining her composure by focusing on the situation at hand. Her heart is a mess from your recent actions and her self-guilt. It's recommended you give her proper reassurance before something irreversible occurs.

xxx

...There's a landmine there with how Flone was being labeled, but I could address that later.

Seonhwa... Argh. I still needed to figure out how to sort that issue up. And with that warning...

...We'll have a talk after this. The place isn't right for that conversation, but the moment we finish grabbing Flone's things, I'd definitely get that settled.

But for now...

"Yes." Seriel nodded and said, "Although I cannot go into too much detail, I believe you will be able to piece together the situation."

Flone narrowed her eyes and said, "Asking for help but refusing to give all the information? How shameless."

Seriel let out an awkward smile and said, "Yes. It is a bit... but there is no other option. Moreover..." She sighed and said, "It is embarrassing to admit, but... my clan members are a bit eccentric and untrusting. I barely managed to obtain this position through various means, so if I speak too much-"

"Then you'll lose your position." I sipped on my tea and said, "Especially since you guys can tell if others are lying. Right?"

Seriel laughed and idly swirled her own cup of tea. "That is correct. Although..." She stared at me with her glittering pink eyes and said, "...You continue to seem to be the exception."

"Well, understanding how a power fundamentally works will allow you to prevent it."

[*snort*]

What's so funny?

[We'll see if you can still say that after you use the Divine Stigmata you damned hypocrite.]

Hmph. And we'll see if you can keep talking smack after I punch your face in when I go through that trial.

[Who says it'll be me there?]

What?

Seriel spoke up, breaking me out of my thoughts, and said, "And that is precisely why we request your aid, Godslayer Seol Jihu. As a human so attuned with nature as to be able to wrest control of the spirits away as well as a mage of unfathomable depths... Please lend us your aid."

I tapped my fingers on the table, seemingly staring at Seriel. But in truth...

xxx

[Flone Seol]

Dislikes the arrogant butterfly woman who's ignoring her and Seonhwa while focusing on you, but enduring it for your sake.

[Yoo Seonhwa]

Quietly enduring the situation out of deference to you.

xxx

"...Fine. We're going to the Pagoda of Dreams anyway, so I'll see what I can do about this great spirit or whatever."

Seriel's eyes widened, and then she nodded with a satisfied smile. "So it's true that you possess an ability similar to the Third Eye..."

"Not sure what you're talking about, but for now rest up and then send the kids home." I pointed at Flone and Seonhwa and said, "We'll go sort out the place while we handle our own affairs and send you a message later." I frowned and said, "I need to visit a certain someone in the Federation anyway..."

[Heh. I'll be waiting then. Though you might want to use the Divine Stigmata first. That guy's getting a bit impatient.]

...I have so many questions.

[Sucks not being able to get them with your 'insight', huh? Loser.]

KYS.

[Tried. Can't.]

...Hah.

xxx

"You'll promise to come visit, Oppa? Unnis?" Haeya looked up at us with watery eyes and said, "Really?"

Flone crouched down to pat her head and said, "Promise. But you need to listen to your big sister and be good, okay?" She glanced over at Haeryeo and said, "And you be more careful. A big sister needs to take care of her younger siblings."

Haeryeo nodded, looking a bit guilty.

Haeya looked over at me and said, "Oppa?"

I smiled and said, "Don't worry. I'll come visit with some gifts next time."

"...Okay."

After that, some Sky Fairies came to lead the fox children away. Seriel gave me one last look and said, "Are you certain that-"

Flone clicked her tongue and said, "Just clear off already."

Seriel smiled. "Very well. Then... best of wishes."

And like that, we were finally alone again in the forest.

Flone let out a deep sigh and said, "Hussies. We need to get Jinhee here to fend them off. Don't you think, Seonhwa?"

Seonhwa blinked and said, "What?"

"Jinhee? Fending off women aiming for Jihu?"

Seonhwa blinked again and then nodded. "Right. That's..." She stifled a yawn and said, "That would be good."

I frowned and said, "Are you tired?"

Seonhwa shook her head. "I'm fine, Jihu." She smiled and said, "Let's just get going."

"...If you say so."

I decided to let her be for now. Prying at this time wouldn't be good. Instead...

"Let's hurry up then and get out of here."

xxx

Running through the forest. Flone on my right and Seonhwa on my left.

Monsters popped up occasionally, but they were easily cut down between the three of us.

And then we arrived.

"So this is the Pagoda of Dreams, huh?" I muttered and stared at the strange stone structure in front of me.

It was kind of like a gateway. Two vertical stone rocks with a horizontal one laid across their tops. It was also wreathed with gold and blue light.

Flone walked up beside me and pulled out her silver necklace from her shirt, looking up at the gateway. "...This should be it? The tomes said that Grandpa stored it away in another realm, but-"

The sound of a body collapsing to the ground.

Seonhwa.

My eyes widened and I turned around to see her collapsed on the ground, sweat pouring down her face.

Without hesitating, I crossed the distance and picked her up, taking a closer look.

She was cold. Her veil was matted with sweat... and not only that, but her features were blurring. Whatever item she was using to conceal her identity was failing, revealing her real face.

But before I could focus on what was exactly happening, Flone called out.

"JIHU!"

A wave of blinding blue light. The exact shade as the light of Destiny Severance.

I turned back around to look at Flone, seeing her run towards me.

And then-

xxx

"Jihu?"

Seonhwa's voice.

I blinked and then realized that I was sitting across from Seonhwa at a cafe. Not just a cafe, but what looked to be a university cafe. And one in America, judging from the American football memorabilia I could see in the distance, as well as the diverse students milling about.

"You said... you wanted to talk to me about something?"

Seonhwa stared at me, her eyes filled with doubt and hesitation. A bit of fear as well.

Deja vu. It was similar to something I had done before except the setting was different and the Seonhwa sitting across from me looked a bit younger. Just out of her teens instead of in her mid-twenties like now.

Odd. Not just the situation, but the area.

It was close. If it was anyone else, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But this place...

"Yeah. I'm breaking up with you."

?!?!?!

I didn't say that.

And the moment I realized I didn't say that, my perspective changed.

One second, I was seated across from Seonhwa, and the next, I was suddenly standing off to the side, staring at her and... me?

"...What the hell is going on here?"

Seonhwa glanced at me and paled. "W-Wait. Jihu-"

The 'me' sitting across from Seonhwa suddenly looked over and snorted. Pointing at me, he said, "I knew it. Replacing me with someone else the moment you went overseas..." He stood up and said, "Even after I spent all of that money to send you here. Even after I bought that ticket to visit you and did all the paperwork... What a joke."

...Ah. I get it now.

The Pagoda of Dreams, the curse that affected people who fell asleep...

Seonhwa teared up, looking between me and the other 'Jihu.' "I-I can explain. P-Please-"

"Yeah, I hate these developments so no."

Before Seonhwa could say anything else, I swung my arm and ripped the dream apart.

For a split second, I saw Flone again in that forest clearing. But before I could do anything, blue light flashed again and she was gone.

Another dream. But this time...

"I knew it." Seonhwa sitting in a dorm room, clenching her cell phone with trembling hands. "...It's all my fault."

I stared at her for a bit and then sighed. "Dammit. Karma really is a bitch, isn't she?"

30