44 – Final Banquet Preparations
3.4k 27 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scheherazade was the same as the first time I saw it. Uniform rows of earthy stone buildings, clean and well-maintained avenues... Compared to the ramshackle and shady Haramark, it was practically Eden. But even so...

"This place is a bit shabby, isn't it?" Flone frowned as she glanced around.

I chuckled and said, "I suppose to someone like you it would be. Unfortunately, this is the best we've got these days, Flone."

"Hm..." Her frown deepened, but then she shook her head. "Well, I get to spend a day with my best friend, so it's fine."

"Thanks for understanding." I smiled and said, "But let's see..." I took a look around and thought about what to do.

We were here for shopping, so it would be best to find a clothes shop... But like Flone said, it was still a bit shabby.

There were a lot of higher tier items around. Shops selling enchanted items and things like that. But at the same time...

"...Looks like the good stuff is hidden away, huh?"

"Jihu?"

I shook my head and started walking. Turning towards Flone, I smiled and said, "Why don't we just window shop for a while to see if there's something you like?"

Flone kept pace with me and nodded, but she said, "Something I like? But what about you?"

"Well, we're here to get things for you, Flone. It'd be a distraction looking for me... Besides, dress patterns are the important thing here. We're checking the current trends, remember?"

"Oh! Right..." Flone nodded in understanding and said, "You can just copy it and make it better later!"

"...That makes me sound like a criminal, but you're not wrong..." I let out a wry smile and then led her down the street.

There were a lot of people around, but that was to be expected from a city like Scheherazade. However, the atmosphere also seemed a bit livelier than usual. And the reason for that...

"Seems like people here are getting ready for it too, huh?"

There were a lot of Earthlings around looking for weapons and equipment.

Flone frowned and said, "I still think I should go with you, Jihu. If that Banquet thing is as dangerous as the others make it out to be..."

I smiled and ruffled her hair. "It'll be fine, Flone. In the worst case scenario, I'll just pull out my full power."

"Eh?" Flone let out a cute expression and said, "You still haven't showed your full power?"

"Of course not!" I held out my arm and flexed. "I haven't even used a percent of my full abilities."

"Wow!" Flone's blue eyes glittered. "Just as expected from my Jihu!"

"...Your Jihu?"

"Heehee." Flone smiled and then tugged me towards a clothing shop. "Here! I want take a look at the dresses over here."

"Yes, yes..." I smiled as well and walked over.

Was it because of the Banquet coming up? There weren't any people at the clothing store at all other than the clerk... No. There was one other person.

A beautiful woman with long black hair and snowy white skin. Even though we were in Paradise, she wore fashionable Earth clothing that made her stand out, a high-spec outfit that must have been worth thousands. Even so, she seemed a bit bored as she idly looked through the clothing selection, but when she saw Flone and I walk in, she looked intrigued. "What's this?" She let out a beautiful smile and turned towards us. "To think that there were people here so carefree as to go on a date during this time."

Flone narrowed her eyes. Did she sense ill-intent? Or was it her natural protectiveness?

Either way, it was a godsend for the moment considering who that woman was.

I smiled and pulled Flone close to me. "I can't help it. Even with everything going on, it'd be a shame to waste a moment with someone as wonderful as her, you know?"

Flone's eyes widened and she blushed. "J-"

Before she could say anything, I turned her around and leaned forward, close to her face.

Flone's blush turned even deeper, especially when I brushed a strand of her silver hair behind her ear.

A typical scene fitting of lovers. But-

"Play along and call me 'dear.' She's dangerous."

Flone tensed. But it seemed like she understood since she stepped back and said, "D-Dear... Not in public."

I laughed and said, "Sorry, sorry." At the same time, I shifted my gaze over to the woman. No, to Yun Seohui.

There was no mistaking it. Her looks, her appearance... it was different, but too similar to Seora to be anyone but that infamous First Lady.

She seemed amused. And she also didn't seem to know who I was yet.

While her gaze was sharp and analyzing, it was the look of someone staring at a puzzle instead of at a useful pawn, like she would be if she realized who I was.

"U-Um..." The shopkeeper called out to Yun Seohui and said, "F-First Lady. Should I...?" He turned to look at me and Flone, hesitant.

Seohui waved her hand and said, "It's fine. No need to concern yourself over a pair of lovebirds. Although..." She glanced at me and Flone, her eyes bright. "You two don't seem to be an ordinary couple... Could I have your names?"

A carefully crafted and polite act.

I smiled back at her and then stepped away from Flone, holding out my hand. "I'm Vain."

"Vain?" Seohui laughed. "Quite the name you have there."

I laughed as well and said, "Well, I tend to meet up to that expectation every now and then... Ah, and this is Sylvia." I pulled Flone over and said, "I couldn't live without her, you know?"

Flone blushed. "D-Dear..."

Seohui smiled. "Wonderful. And my apologies for being rude. I am... Hm. Well, since we ran into each other like this, I guess you can call me Yuni."

"Yuni." I nodded, smiling along. "Sorry to take up your time."

"No, no." 'Yuni' shook her head and said, "I was about to leave." She glanced at the shopkeeper and said, "Send the order to the usual place."

"Y-Yes F- Yuni!"

It seemed like the shopkeeper was quick on the uptake.

Either way, Seohui gave me a bright wave and then walked out.

When she did, the shopkeeper sighed and turned towards us. "My apologies, dear customer. How may I help you two?"

Flone seemed lost in thought at the interaction still, so I took the lead and said, "We're planning to get some new clothes for this beautiful lady."

I pulled Flone forward and said, "I was wondering if we could take a look at some of your designs?"

"Of course, sir. Right this way."

xxx

Yun Seohui hummed to herself as she walked out of the shop.

It was a whim. There hadn't been anything that she needed, but she was curious.

The law of causality. It was something that she believed wholeheartedly in. There was no effect without a cause, and no cause went without an effect.

And on that day, she suddenly had an urge to go take a walk. A whimsy fancy.

But still...

"To think I'd see something so interesting."

Seohui smiled as she recalled the pair she met. "Vain and Sylvia, was it...?"

A seemingly loveydovey couple out for a date.

Seemingly.

But there was more to the two than what met the eye.

She was sure of it. While she couldn't tell the depths of the man, the woman was at least a level five. Both of them were people who were strong enough to make a name for themselves.

And yet Seohui didn't recognize them.

Those names were a lie. Seohui had seen and memorized the names and faces of every person that would be of that level, as well as a few others. And while the man seemed somewhat familiar, the young woman was definitely not.

"Hm... I shouldn't have come across them without a reason."

Nothing was pointless. If Seohui ran across the two, she was sure that she would see them again. And considering that it was done while she was out on a whim...

"...I'll need to look into this."

She wasn't certain, but recently various laws of causality from the people around her were being thrown out of order. Her cute and meek younger sister had become more gutsy, that foxy Kim Hannah had been making ploys as if she wanted to quit the company despite working so hard...

It was odd. Something wasn't right, and she wasn't sure what the source of it was.

But...

At that time, a man in a suit walked over. One of her men. Still, when he saw her expression, he froze. "F-First Lady?"

"Hm?" She tilted her head. "What is it?"

"I-I don't mean to be rude... but did something good happen?"

"Something good? What are you... Ah."

Seohui realized it then.

She was smiling. Not a forced expression or a mask like she usually put on, but her body's natural reaction.

Realizing that, her smile widened. "How curious." She touched her lips and then laughed.

It was a beautiful sound. At least, it should have been.

But the man watching her could only stand there, stiff in terror.

"Vain..."

She had already forgotten all about the woman, only focusing on the young man. "I wonder who you truly are...?"

xxx

"...hu! Jihu!"

I blinked and then realized that I was lost in thought.

We were back in Haramark already. After running into Yun Seohui in Scheherazade, I didn't want to risk it and cut things short, warping us back into my room.

To make up for cutting things short, I cooked some food for Flone, a home-cooked ramen bowl with fresh ingredients made from scratch, and planned to share a cozy dinner together.

But, it seemed like I had spaced out. I sighed and said, "Sorry, Flone. Just a lot on my mind."

"That woman from earlier?"

I nodded. "That's right."

Yun Seohui. From what I could remember about her, she was responsible for a lot going wrong near the end, both in Seol's time and the previous Seol's time. Even so, it wasn't like she was inherently bad.

Seol had seen it too. There were countless possibilities spreading out for Seohui.

And that was the same for me.

I didn't think too much on it while in front of her lest I risk tipping my hand... After all, she was someone who reigned over Sinyoung from her manipulative abilities. I couldn't remember her status, and I didn't dare to peek at it while I was still unprepared, but I was sure that she could figure out a lot of stuff from the barest clues.

Still, now that we were far away from her, I couldn't help but recall what I saw around her.

Golden threads, azure light... but most importantly, faint crimson threads.

Was it because of my actions? I had pretty much done the same thing as Seol, but I must have changed things slightly... Or maybe this was the pushback from using my Transcendent Insight.

I frowned and took a sip from my ramen bowl. After that, I said, "It's troublesome. That woman... is definitely going to cause issues later."

Flone narrowed her eyes. "...Should I get rid of her then?"

I bopped her head.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Killing is bad, even if you might be able to get away with it. ...Though with her, even you might have trouble."

Seohui didn't know who I was, but even then she seemed to have picked something up. From that, I could sense that her instincts were on point... And my own instincts were warning me that messing with her too early would immediately launch something I wasn't prepared for.

"Hmph." Flone pouted and ate some noodles. "I could take her."

"You could. But I've got plans for her... and she's one of my friend's sister. It's rude to just off someone like that, you know?"

"...If you say so." Flone sighed. "Still... to think that our trip was ruined like that. She ruined the mood..."

I let out a wry smile. "It seems to happen whenever we want to hang out, huh?"

Flone pouted. "Stupid world. It's like it doesn't want me to spend any time with you! It's not fair!"

"I know, I know." I patted Flone's head and said, "But we're spending time together now. And don't worry, there'll be much more of that in the future. We just have to settle some things first."

"...That's true." Flone nodded. "I've waited over a thousand years just to meet someone like you. I guess I can wait a bit longer."

...The mood was starting to get dangerous, so I quickly changed the subject. "Anyway... You adapted really well, Flone."

"Oh!" Flone smiled and said, "Of course! I'm really good at acting, you know? In the past, I even put on a few shows with my friends for Grandpa's acquaintances!"

"Grandpa?"

Flone nodded. "That's right. My Grandpa was a really important person in the Empire, you know?"

I paused, memories starting to come back. "That's right... The Rothschear family were pretty important figures."

Flone puffed out her chest and said, "That's right! I'm basically a real princess too, you know?"

"Well, you're already a real Saintess, so that's impressive enough, I'd think."

Flone stuck out her tongue. But then her expression dimmed. "...I wonder what happened to him though."

"Hm?"

Flone sighed. "Grandpa... Back then, the Emperor was a bad guy who tried to force a lot of people to do what he wanted. One day, Grandpa got summoned for a meeting in the Emperor's Villa and then..." She shook her head. "He never came back. And after that... Well, a lot of things happened. And the only thing left behind..." She brushed the necklace that she always wore. The one that archer tried to steal back in the tomb so long ago.

"Sorry."

Flone shook her head. "It's fine. I'm still a bit sad about what happened... but that's all in the past. After all." She smiled and said, "You gave me a new life. It wouldn't be fair if I spent it dwelling on what happened, would it?"

"...You're strong, Flone."

"Not as strong as you, Jihu. But thanks!"

I laughed and then said, "Well... I did promise to spend the day with you. Since we can't go shopping, how about we just chat? Ah, and I'll make good food of course."

"Ooh!" Flone's eyes lit up. "Great! Then... Could you tell me about your world? What's it like there? And what about your family? What do you like to do? Dislike?"

"Easy there, Flone!" I laughed and said, "We've got all night, remember? But alright. Let's see... First of all..."

xxx

"Fast asleep, huh?" I stared at Flone's slumbering form and shook my head. "I told you to not push yourself to stay up, dummy." I tucked her in and then glanced outside.

Flone had a lot of questions for me, so we ended up spending the entire night chatting.

I didn't mind. It was fun just chatting about random things, and it was also nice to have a friend to just hang out with. A pleasant distraction from the usual gloom and doom of Paradise.

But unlike me, Flone needed to sleep. The Saintess and former vengeful spirit seemed to have forgotten all about her fleshy body's needs since she was knocked out cold.

I was perfectly fine. Mostly due to my abnormal stats.

But anyway... "I should check in with the others."

There were only a few days left before the Banquet's entrances started to spawn. The plan was pretty much settled, but it would be good to confirm things with everyone.

I checked on Flone one last time and then left my room and headed towards the main lobby. The moment I did, I saw Maldong and Kazuki sitting there, grim expressions on both of their faces.

"What's up?"

Maldong flinched and then glared at me. "Warn someone before turning up like that! You've already done a number on this old man's heart. Are you trying to put me in an early grave, Jihu?"

I coughed. "Sorry about that. I meant to tell you guys I got back, but I was distracted."

Maldong sighed. "...It's fine." He shifted his gaze back to Kazuki and said, "We were just talking about our preparations for the Banquet." He frowned and said, "...It seems like a problem came up."

"A problem?" I shifted my gaze to Kazuki.

He sighed and bowed his head. "My apologies, Benefactor Jihu."

I sat down with the two and said, "What's the problem? Does it have to do with my bro Hao? Should I go chat with him?"

Kazuki chuckled. "Nothing of the sort. Mister Hao Win has been extremely accommodating, especially after he learned you were participating. Rather... How should I put this...?"

Maldong sighed and said, "That guy's boss pulled some strings and now we're out a priest."

I blinked. "...Is that such a big deal? I can heal, you know?"

Maldong wrinkled his nose and said, "Of course I know! I'm not going senile, unlike what two idiots think. But it'll still be a problem."

Kazuki nodded. "Yes. Benefactor Jihu's-"

"It's Jihu, Kaz."

Kazuki paused and then smiled. "My apologies. But as Master Maldong said, this is still a problem. I would never doubt your healing abilities... but even so, I believe that your talent would be better utilized elsewhere."

Maldong nodded. "What Kazuki said. You might be able to heal, but in a place like the Banquet, your ability to adapt and improvise will be more important. If you're distracted by having to tend to wounds all the time..."

"Then things could get dicey. Got it."

While I had a feeling that I could still handle it... considering I'd already run into an unexpected event yesterday, I wasn't willing to chance it. Even so...

"...But is it that much of a problem to find a priest?"

Kazuki sighed. "It shouldn't be. But no matter who I reach out to, they're suddenly busy or with another team." He frowned and said, "I have something I'd like to try out, but I'm reluctant to go through with it."

Maldong frowned as well. "Yes... This is a problem. If Tsuji Yuki is serious about keeping you out, it'll be hard to find a priest willing to join us."

"A priest, huh?" I rubbed my chin. "Well, if it's just a priest we're missing... Maria did a good job last time, and I do owe her a bit still..."

I paid her back already for the Ceremony, but since this was an opportunity, I might as well include her. Plus, it'd be a good chance for her to level up, and having a strong healer was always a good thing.

"Hm?" Kazuki looked at me and said, "Maria? As in Maria Yeriel?"

Maldong blinked as well and then he chuckled. "Of course. You already know three of them. I should have expected you to know her as well."

"...Three of them?"

Maldong ignored me and rubbed his beard. "But... Hm. If it's her, I suppose it should be fine."

Kazuki let out a sigh of relief and then gave me an awkward smile. "Sorry to rely on you again, Jihu."

I waved my hand. "It's fine. Things like this happen, so when they do, it's best to just lean on your friends."

Kazuki's smile brightened. "Thank you. It is an honor to be included as your friend. Though, I have yet to pay you back for your aid..."

"Oi. Enough of that." I waved my hand and said, "Friends just help each other out. There's no need for payment or repayment. And if you're that worried about it... Well, just have my back when we get in the Banquet, alright?"

"Of course."

I smiled and then stood up. "Well... I should get going then if I want to catch Maria."

Kazuki stood up as well and then took a crystal ball out from his pocket. Handing it to me, he said, "Tell me how it goes with Maria, Jihu."

I grabbed it and nodded. "I'll let you know ASAP... But what are you going to do, Kaz?"

He shook his head and said, "It would be rude to let my benefactor- No, my dear comrade do all the work." He frowned and said, "It will be awkward... but there is one person I can ask still. And the more priest we can find, the better."

Maldong nodded. "That's true." He stood up as well and said, "Then... I'll leave you two to sort that out. In the meanwhile... I should go whip those two lazy bastards into shape while I can."

...Well. RIP Hugo and Chohong...

xxx

I immediately headed to the Temple of Luxuria and visited Maria.

As expected, the blonde priestess was still in because it was morning.

She also looked hungover and grouchy.

"Who the fuck- Ah?" She blinked when she registered my face and then quickly slammed the door shut.

I sighed and said, "There's no need to pretty up, Maria."

"I can't show my ugly side to my cool Oppa! Just wait a bit, kay?"

My eye twitched at being called Oppa again.

...Seriously. What was with all these girls calling me that? At this rate, people would think I had a weird fetish or something...

"Done!" Maria opened the door again. Her disheveled self was nowhere to be seen. Her blonde hair had been neatly combed and her white priest robes were pristine.

I walked inside the room and said, "You've got a talent for dressing up, I see. You sure your first class wasn't a magician?"

Maria laughed and said, "Oppa's so funny." She shut the door behind her and then smiled. "So... Did you need something? Or was this just a friendly visit?"

I shook my head and said, "As much as I would like to just chat, time is money. And I know how much you value both, so I'll cut to the chase." I stared straight at Maria and said, "Come with me to the Banquet."

Maria blinked. "The Banquet?"

I nodded and explained the situation to her. But as I did, Maria's face grew dim, and she started to frown. By the end of my explanation, she was clearly leaning against joining.

Of course, I knew how she operated... And I *did* owe her a lot for helping me with Seora. So...

I reached into the bag I usually kept around my waist and said, "Now this isn't going to be me asking you for a favor. I already owe you too much to be asking you for more, even as a friend. Instead... Here."

I focused and crafted it. A pristine crystal rosary made from pure healing magic and with a faint trace of the divine energy I had stored up. Not only that, but I carefully stabilized it to be able to handle up to... Well, I actually wasn't sure how much, but it was a lot.

Maria froze, her blue eyes locked on the rosary.

I shifted it into my left hand and then reached into my bag again. This time, I pulled out a sapphire necklace on a gold chain. Since Maria wasn't a fighter, it would be dangerous for her if she got injured, so I made an artifact to protect her in that scenario.

A cure-all to prevent poisons, toxins, and enchantments by regulating mana flow within the body and drawing in ambient mana to constantly maintain homeostasis, using similar logic to how Ian had kept our mental states steady in the Forest of Denial. Kinetic energy deflection using borrowed logic from the boost spell in the earrings I had.

I handed both to Maria and said, "For you."

She took them with robotic gestures, carefully staring at both.

I pointed to the rosary and said, "I'm not an expert in priest equipment, but that should be better than anything on the market. As for the necklace." I pointed to it and said, "It'll constantly protect you from most status ailments and automatically stop physical attacks from hitting you. Kind of like your barrier spell."

Maria blinked and then stared at me. As if suddenly realizing the value of the items in her hands, she started to shake and carefully cradled them. After that, she shook her head and said, "Oppa- No. Jihu. Are you insane?" She clutched the items close to her chest and then narrowed her eyes. "These things... You can't even put a price on them! I've seen a lot of strong artifacts, but these... Where the hell did you even get them?"

"Trade secret. Ah, and don't worry. You can keep them even if you don't want to go. I already owe you a lot, so think of this as just paying you back."

Maria shook her head and said, "You crazy son of a bitch."

"Oi. Don't insult my mother like that."

"I will! Didn't she teach you common sense?!" Maria's eyes grew wild and then she started pacing. "What the hell?!" She stopped and then put on the necklace. After that, she held out the rosary and channeled some mana into it. "...Yeah! These things are fucking priceless! And you say I can just have them even if I don't come?" She glared at me and said, "Who the hell do you think I am? Some heartless bitch?! Of course I'll come!"

I blinked, caught off guard by her reaction. "Um..."

Maria tucked the rosary away into her robes and then crossed her arms. "You're an idiot. A big idiot. The biggest idiot. Even dumbasses who fall for those click scams on videos aren't as big of an idiot as you are."

A flash of golden light. Not only that, but faint crimson threads started to flicker around Maria.

I froze, quickly backpedaling. "H-Hold on Maria."

This was bad. I miscalculated. No way, right? Seol didn't... At the end, he didn't end up with Maria. So there's no way that-

"Aaaargh!" Maria pulled her hair and said, "Oppa's an idiot. If I don't come with you, who knows what other girls will make you do?! An upright guy like you is only going to get eaten up! And what am I going to do when that happens? Who's going to give me my cash?!"

"...Glad to see you have your priorities straight."

Maria sighed and rubbed her temple. "I've got a headache, so get the fuck out of here already. Dammit... What'd I do in my past life to get wrapped up with a guy like you? Giving me all of these things and making me feel guilty about it... Fuck."

"...I'll be on my way then. I'll let you know when we leave."

"Yeah, yeah. Just get out of my sight for now. I don't want to see you until it's time to go."

I smiled at her words, amused at how similar they were to when I asked her to heal Seora, and then nodded. "See you later, Maria."

"Don't get scammed, Oppa. I'll beat you up."

I laughed and then left. After walking out of the temple, I took the crystal I got from Kazuki and called him up.

"Jihu?"

As soon as he picked up, I smiled and stuck up my thumb. "Mission-"

"I recruited someone."

"...Accomplished? Eh?"

"Huh?"

xxx

"...So that's how it is, huh?"

After confirming with Kazuki that the priest problem was resolved, I headed off to gather information about the Banquet.

I could remember a few things from my memories, mostly major points like Seol stepping up to being a leader after some big event and him ending with unlocking parts of his Nine Eyes, but other than that I was drawing a blank.

So to fill in those blanks, I decided to go take a trip and scan the records in the Royal Library.

But surprisingly, I wasn't alone.

"Eh?" A familiar suave middle-aged man waved at me. "Jihu! It's been a while, Friend!"

My pal, Ian. And next to him...

"Taking ample precautions this time, I see." An elderly man with a full head of white hair. Despite his apparent age, a powerful magical aura surrounded him. Not only that, but the previous frail and elderly demeanor he had was gone, replaced with confidence and vigor. Arbor Muto.

The two of them were propped up at a table in the corner of the library, a stack of parchments on either side of them.

I tilted my head and said, "Glad to see you too, Ian, Mister Muto. But..." I glanced at the parchments and saw a series of complex magical circle sketches. "It seems like the two of you are busy."

Ian rubbed the back of his neck and said, "Sorry, Jihu. I wanted to come along and help out with the Banquet, but after talking with Muto here and hearing from Kazuki how effective your rudium was, my mind started racing with ideas."

Muto nodded. "That's right." He chuckled and said, "To think that I would meet with such talents in my twilight age... Soon, my dream won't just be a fantasy."

Ian jabbed Muto and said, "Oi, pal. Don't knock yourself down just yet. There's plenty of years left in you... Especially if you decide to go my route, eh?"

"Hmph. As if I would be that shameless, Mister 'Like'm Tiddies'."

"Hey now, you asked me what you could call me, not my name. Should've been more careful, Muto."

"Tch." Muto scoffed and turned his attention back to the diagrams.

Ian laughed and then turned to me. "Anyway... What brings you here, Jihu? Hiding away from your wifey? Or did your women problems finally catch up with you."

"You're really funny, Ian. But no." I walked over to the records and started running my hands along them, using Nine Eyes and its general observation in conjunction with my Transcendent Insight to pull out information. "I'm just preparing for the Banquet."

"Ah." Ian nodded. "A wise decision. Even with someone like you... No, especially with someone like you, it'll prove dangerous."

"And that's why I'm here." I pulled out some relevant books and walked over to a table, setting up for the night. As I did though, I glanced at the older men and said, "Did you guys need any help while I'm here though?"

Muto shook his head. "You've already opened the long locked door for us, Jihu." His eyes flickered with ambition and said, "Now... Now all we need to do is advance."

Ian's eyes flickered with ambition as well. He nodded and said, "That's right. Transmutation, synthesis, magical engineering and alchemy..." He pointed at me and said, "Just you wait, Friend! This old dog's learning a few tricks that will blow you away!"

I smirked. "Looking forward to it. Now... We should get back to work."

After that, silence fell over the library, interrupted only by the sounds of scribbling pens and turning pages.

During that time, I started compiling information about the Banquet, using a combination of the records, Nine Eyes, and my insight skill.

There was a brief history about how the Banquet was discovered. Something about phantom ships showing up in bodies of waters all around Paradise in the seven kingdoms. After about two months when they first appeared, strange 'entrances' would show up all over Paradise.

Key features of said entrances were the following:

1. They came in all sorts of colors and forms, ranging from mirrors to lakes, to even random doorways.

2. Once ten people passed through, the entrances would stop admitting more people.

3. Once created, the entrances would always reappear in the same spot. Though new entrances would show up as well every time.

4. People who entered were transported to an unknown place that was different every time.

And that 'unknown place' was what became known as the Banquet... though no one knew why it was called that.

What was important was that the Banquet was divided into three stages.

Stage 1 and Stage 2 were what the participants had to go through after they entered the banquet. Historically, the goals were just to safely arrive at a designated location. However, only from Stage 2 would there be rewards.

In Stage 2, participants could get an item called the 'Dissonant Wish.' That seemed to be the main goal of most entrants going to the Banquet.

As for Stage 3, it was cloaked in mystery in terms of the content due to survivors being bound by an oath, but it would result in earning the 'Harmonious Wish'.

And as the names implied, the rewards would grant the receiver's wish.

And as expected from such valuable rewards, human greed came out accordingly.

As the Banquets continued, the mortality rate increased until the latest one had a complete wipe without a single survivor.

That was the information I gleaned from the records. However, I had more.

After reading it, my insight skill pulled out some more information. Mostly about the nature of the Banquet.

"That's right. This place is..."

I wasn't sure if it would turn out the same way or if they had changed their minds. But the point of the Banquet should be to...

xxx

Two days before the Banquet began.

While a detailed strategy couldn't be formed until we were actually in the Banquet, it was important to get acquainted with everyone before then. After all, it'd be bad if we made a mistake because we weren't familiar with each other.

To that end, Umi Tsubame and Carpe Diem held a briefing in our headquarter to introduce everyone.

On my side were me, Maldong, Hugo, Chohong, and Maria.

On Umi Tsubame's side, there was Kazuki, a wild guy about a half a head shorter than me with red hair that looked like flames, and then a mysterious priest in a full gray robe that covered their whole body.

Or rather, 'her' whole body.

While the priest Kazuki recruited was trying her best to conceal her identity, it didn't matter to someone like me.

After all, as much as she tried to hide it, there was no way I was going to mistake that heavy gaze from Yuhui as anyone else's.

When we were all gathered together, the red-haired man stood up and said, "Yosh!"

It was a high-spirited exclamation, one that suited his vibrant outfit of a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, sandals, and sunglasses.

He turned to me and said, "Hello, hello!" He quickly closed the gap and held out his hand. "You're the one, aren't you? Kazuki's Benefactor and Haramark's Hero that's been the talk of Paradise, right? The Ace that blew up the Parasite's fortress and secured Arden Valley? I'm Sakamoto Jun!"

Kazuki frowned and said, "Jun. Don't be disrespectful."

Jun laughed and rubbed his neck. "Sorry, Aniki. But I can't help it, you know? Hearing about such a legend from Korea..." His eyes flickered with a strange glint.

Ah. No, I recognized that glint.

'A Koreaboo, huh...?'

A guy crazy about all things Korea.

I shook my head and said, "It's fine, Kaz." I held out my hand to Jun and said, "And it's good to meet you, Jun. Please, take care of me."

Jun grinned and grabbed my hand in a firm handshake. "Don't worry about that, Hyung! I've got a feeling we'll get along just fine!"

After that, Jun went around to introduce himself to the others.

Hugo treated him warmly and the two seemed to be good acquaintances. Made sense considering their personalities jived well.

As for Chohong and Maria though...

"I almost forgot about my Chung-dan Cho-dan Hong-dan noonim! How've you been?"

Chohong's hand twitched, moving towards her mace for a bit before she stopped and said, "Shut up."

"Oh! And it's been a while, Maria-chan~!"

Maria's eye twitched and she glared at Jun. "Don't fucking talk to me."

"Tch." Jun frowned and crossed his arms. "That's harsh... Is it because you're trying to impress Hyung? You're not mad because I tried to be friendly, are you?"

Chohong rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She glanced over at Yuhui and said, "Anyway, who's that?"

Jun shrugged. "Dunno."

Chohong narrowed her eyes. "What do you mean you don't know? Didn't you guys invite her?"

"We did, but..." Jun turned towards Kazuki.

Kazuki, quiet since after scolding Jun, finally spoke up again and said, "There's a private circumstance keeping her identity secret."

"You've gotta be shitting me." Chohong crossed her arms and said, "This isn't a fieldtrip we're going on. If we're going in this together, she needs to at least show her face."

Kazuki narrowed his eyes. At the same time, Maldong frowned.

Sensing the atmosphere grow tense, I decided to speak up. "Relax, Chocho. She's trustworthy."

Chohong flinched and then glared at me. "Don't call me that! And what do you mean that she's trustworthy, Oppa?"

Yuhui's gaze suddenly grew sharp, turning towards me. Well, I couldn't actually see her face, but I could sense the sharp gaze beneath that hood.

Jun frowned, glancing at me and Chohong while muttering, "Chocho...?"

Kazuki stared at me, surprised. And then he sighed. "Of course. Something like this wouldn't be enough to fool your eyes."

Chohong frowned.

"Mm." I glanced at Chohong and said, "Don't worry about it. I can vouch for her. After all, she's my- Mm... Actually, better to keep that a secret for now. Right?" I winked at Yuhui.

She didn't say anything. Or was it that she couldn't in that outfit? Even so, she jumped up and stomped the ground, clearly angry at me.

Chohong blinked and then her eyes lit up in realization. "Ah. Another one of your girls, huh, Oppa?"

"Oi." I frowned and said, "I don't have any girls."

Yuhui tensed and then lowered her head. It wasn't audible, but I was sure there'd be a loud sigh at that time.

Hugo coughed and said, "Dense bastard."

Kazuki stared at Yuhui's reaction with a blank look and then sighed. "My benefactor truly is something else..."

"Fine." Chohong sighed and said, "I won't make a fuss about her if Oppa's vouching for her. But we need a name at least if we can't see her face."

Kazuki frowned, looking at Yuhui.

Maldong sighed. "Chohong-"

"Sunshine."

Maldong froze and stared at me with wide eyes. "P-Pardon?"

I shrugged and said, "We need a name for her, right? So we can just call her Sunshine. I'm sure she doesn't mind. Do you, my Sunshine?"

Kazuki blinked, mouthing my words.

Yuhui held up her sleeve to her mouth and trembled, quietly laughing.

As for Chohong...

"This motherfucker."

...She cursed me out and let out a deep sigh.

xxx

Two days before the Banquet, as well as the day of our departure.

The plan was simple. My buddy Hao Win and his group apparently secured a new entrance and were keeping it a secret. Said entrance was somewhere in 'Salt Desert', which we would be heading to in a carriage. Of course, since it took two days time with the path were taking, we were heading early.

Although it was a coop mission between Carpe Diem, Umi Tsubame and the Triads, we wouldn't meet each other until Stage 2.

In other words, it'd be mostly us until after we cleared Stage 1.

Though... I had a feeling things wouldn't be so simple.

It was early morning, the sun barely peeking over the horizon. Standing outside of our headquarters, I double-checked my belongings.

My bracer that Flone and Ian made for me was on my left arm, and set to automatically summon my armor in combat. The Festina Earring was still working, and the boost spells hadn't degraded. My mana sword was attached to the left side of my waist. And then I had my usual bag of holding on my right side. Besides all of that, I was just wearing a plain black tunic, pants, and boots.

...Though said bag was really just an ornament to disguise my ability to pull things out of literal air.

The door opened and then someone walked out. Flone. She stared at me and frowned before saying, "Are you sure I can't come with you, Jihu?"

I stared back at her.

Ominous black light. The moment that she made the request, it wreathed her body like her resentment had in the past.

I shook my head. "No. It's too dangerous... And more importantly, I need you to help Ian with his project."

Flone frowned. "Why?"

I adjusted my sword and said, "I'm not sure how long we'll be out, but I know that Ian's going to be testing his experiment soon. And he'll need someone strong to go with him to make sure he's safe. He can probably find someone with Teresa's help... but I'd feel better if you did it. You're the only one I trust out of us to take care of dangers, after all. Well, other than me."

Flone rolled her eyes. "No wonder you called yourself Vain."

"Hey. I'm just well aware of my capabilities."

Flone frowned and then let out a sigh. "Fine."

The moment she said that, the light faded, and she returned to normal, leaving only the usual gold and red threads.

"But." Flone looked at me and said, "You have to do something for me before you leave."

"Alright. What do you-"

Before I could finish asking, Flone dashed up to me and gave me a peck on my cheek.

I froze.

Flone giggled and then ran off. "Bye, Jihu! Good luck!"

I numbly touched my cheek, watching Flone's figure vanish. After that, I sighed.

And then I was joined by another person sighing. Chohong. She walked out with her new mace and some sparkling chainmail. Staring at where Flone left, she said, "Do you two really have to flirt every time?"

Hugo walked out as well and nodded. "Right! I get that you're awesome, Bro, but could you not rub it into us single folks each time?"

I sighed. "You act like I have a choice in the matter."

"...Right." Chohong muttered and said, "You're a bastard who's a natural lady killer. Of course you can't stop it."

I pretended to be dense and said, "Hm?"

Hugo sighed. "Whatever. Can we just get going to the rendezvous point?"

"Alright." I nodded and then led the way. "Let's go."

We made our way through Haramark towards the place that we agreed to meet Kazuki and the others. But as we did, I noticed that there were more eyes on us than usual.

Chohong clicked her tongue and muttered, "Greedy bastards."

Hugo frowned but didn't say anything else.

Chohong moved to my side and said, "Just ignore them, Jihu. It's not worth it."

Since she properly used my name, it seemed that the situation looked bad. But...

I swept my gaze around the area.

There were shady people all around, hundreds staring at us with clear desire and malice.

But they were colorless.

Meaning they didn't pose a threat. Even so...

"Thanks, Chohong. But I'm sure you know this saying, right?"

"Hm?" She paused. "What saying?"

I came to a stop and smiled. "Kill the chicken to scare the monkey."

At the same time, I placed my hand on my sword and let loose my killing intent.

...Before it was indiscriminate. [Impending Demise] leaked out to everyone around except for people that I purposefully excluded. And even then, since it triggered with my emotions, it was hard to control.

But now that [Energy Manipulation] had evolved into [Energy Domination]...

An invisible ripple. Almost immediately, the people staring at us started to scramble, running away in the opposite direction. The tense silence was suddenly shattered by a chaotic retreat from people trying to get away as fast as they could.

"Heh." I shook my head and kept walking.

"Whoa, whoa." Hugo muttered and followed after me. "Bro. You're too cool."

Chohong sighed. "Show off."

When we arrived at the rendezvous point with the carriages, the others were already there.

Since there were a lot of annoying people buzzing around, we didn't waste time. Kazuki, Maria, and Hugo went into one carriage while me, Chohong, and Jun went into the other with Yuhui- I mean, 'Sunshine.'

"Alright!" After we were settled inside, Jun turned around and said, "Mister Coachman! Let's go!"

And then we were off with Jun sitting on one side of the carriage... and me surrounded by Yuhui and Chohong on the other.

'Seems like it's going to be a long ride...'

I resisted the urge to sigh.

And then a low roar echoed from behind us. Not a monster or an animal, but the sound of dozens of other carriages setting off as well.

I stared out the window at the people following us and narrowed my eyes. "How annoying."

Jun laughed. "It really is, Hyung. But don't worry. Those people aren't idiots."

Chohong clicked her tongue and said, "Could have fooled me."

Yuhui nodded.

I turned away from the window and said, "I'm not worried about them being idiots. I'm worried about them being too greedy. Even a smart person acts stupid when they want too much."

And even cowards could become brave apparently. From the sheer number in pursuit, it seemed like quite a few overcame the threat of imminent demise and chose to follow anyway.

Should I call that admirable, or stupid?

"Mm..." Jun nodded and said, "True. It seems like Hyung has some experience with these sorts of thing then?"

"Experience enough."

Yuhui turned to look at me, lowering her head in thought.

Chohong frowned and then nodded. "Oh right. I forgot about that expedition. I guess Oppa really saw the ugly side of people then..."

"I wasn't referring to that, Chocho, but I guess that's true too."

Chohong huffed. "Will it kill you to just call me Chohong? Dammit. That name already got put on my alias, you know?!"

"Yeah. And Oppa got put on mine so go fuck yourself."

Chohong narrowed her eyes and then suddenly shifted expressions, turning sly. "Oh? Sorry, Oppa. But I don't know how to do that. Why don't you show me?"

Yuhui tensed, rigidly turning to face Chohong.

Of course, Chohong didn't notice.

Jun was quiet, but his face looked like he was enjoying the drama.

I sighed and said, "Chocho. You really shouldn't try to flirt with me."

Chohong clung to me and said, "And why not? Nervous, Op~pa?"

Oh, so she wanted to play it like that, huh?

I suddenly turned towards her and picked her up, placing her on my lap.

Jun coughed, his eyes wide.

Chohong froze. "W-Wha-?"

I hugged Chohong around her waist and said, "What's wrong, Chocho? Didn't you want me to show you?" I grabbed her right hand and started sliding it down her thigh. "Here."

"H-Hold on. W-Wait." Chohong started to panic and turned a beet red color. "O-Op... I mean, Jihu. That's-"

I felt a build up of mana on my left side as well as a murderous intent.

I laughed and then placed Chohong back on her seat. "Alright, alright. That's enough messing around."

Chohong glared at me, her face a bright red. "Aaargh! You...! Dammit!"

"What? Need a cold shower?"

"Go fuck yourself!"

I laughed again. "See, you're still not good at flirting, Chocho. You should have said that you'd fuck me up. Though, considering how red you are, I guess you'd probably faint first."

Chohong huffed and leaned her head against the carriage. Closing her eyes, she muttered, "Whatever, Bastard. I'm going to sleep."

Jun stared at me and Chohong and shook his head. "I see what Aniki meant now. Hyung is amazing."

Before I could respond, Yuhui huffed and then pointedly leaned against me, using my arm as a pillow.

"Oh." I played dumb and said, "I didn't know you were tired, Sunshine. Here." I shifted her to my lap and said, "This'll be better."

Yuhui froze, and then she let out a content sigh.

...And those crimson threads around her starting winding around my wrist.

Dammit.

Jun stared at me with wide eyes and then slowly nodded. "As expected. Hyung is super amazing."

96