48 – Unyielding Emperor
2.4k 16 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a success.

Fortunately, the combination of my name and actions were enough to tip the scale towards trust in the eyes of the minority group.

And so there was only one piece left to ensure my plan's success.

A conference. One with all the remaining people instead of just group representatives.

That was outstanding enough considering recent events, but what was more noteworthy was that the minority faction were sitting with the Carpe Diem/Umi Tsubame alliance team... As well as the Triads.

Like this, the scene was set. All that was left now was to prepare the stage for the play. And the one responsible for that...

Kazuki stood up and looked around. He was the person who arranged the conference, the guy who went around and gathered everyone together. And so he was the first to speak, explaining the current situation, what we needed to do in order to clear the stage... that sort of thing.

But that was old news. And as a result, people got impatient.

Oh Rahee, who had been listening with an indifferent face, opened her mouth when Kazuki finished talking and said, "Make your point already."

Kazuki didn't answer her. Instead, he turned towards me.

At the same time, everyone's eyes fell on me.

I stood up.

Rahee stared at me with an amused smile, anticipation in her eyes.

I met her gaze and then looked at the other people sitting nearby.

While all the Banquet participants were present, we were still organized by power. And the most powerful ones were the High Rankers, sitting around in a circle.

High Rankers with confidence and boredom on their faces. And not only that, when they saw me, a familiar expression appeared.

Arrogance. That I wasn't anyone worth looking at.

It pissed me off, but I simply continued looking around, gauging them.

Eventually, Rahee broke the silence and said, "Hm. I thought you were going to stay put, but I guess you couldn't endure any longer, could you, Haramark's Hero?" She paused and then smiled. "Oh wait. Your name was... Seol, wasn't it? Seol Jihu?"

Did I impress her enough last time? Rahee didn't have to say that, but she chimed in and helped prepare the stage further.

From her actions, Rahee already established a reputation as being harsh and hard to impress. But she acknowledged me and implicitly praised me. Not only that, but she brought up my infamous title as well.

The results of her words were immediate.

A small commotion broke out, murmurs filling the air. Things like, 'It's him?' and 'Carpe Diem?' As well as, 'The guy Ian Denzel left the Royal Family for?'

Since I had everyone's attention, I cut to the chase.

There were 110 people remaining. 32 from the minority side, 78 from the majority.

Before now, the minority side refused to participate in conquering the Plaza of Sacrifice, but now they wanted to.

So the plan was simple.

For each door in the Plaza of Sacrifice, we would split up in seven teams of about 15 to 16, with the minority members distributed as evenly as possible among the teams.

In that way, we'd have the manpower to fight the monsters, and there was a bit of accountability on both sides.

As for deciding who to send to the Plaza of Dissonant Wish, they would be chosen by the representatives of the seven teams, with four from the majority and two from the minority. These people would go in, get their wish, and come back out to increase the overall fighting power. And to ensure everyone was kept in check, each member had to not be related to each other in any way.

The four from the majority side would check each other. The two from the minority could report on the majority. And the four could ensure the minority members didn't just run away through the exit.

Logical. Reasonable. And a win-win situation.

Everyone planned to clear Stage 2 and leave. So this made it easier to do that.

But.

"What a joke." Snake Eyes... No. Her name was Audrey Basler. The sadistic archer from the first stage. She stood up and looked at me, shaking her head. "I can't bear to listen to this farce any longer."

"Farce?"

Audrey smiled and shrugged her shoulders. "Yep! A farce... I really don't get why those guys are participating right now."

I slowly turned towards her and said, "And why's that? In order to clear the Plaza of Sacrifice, there needs to be cooperation. If everyone agrees, then we all win."

Audrey hummed and placed a finger on her chin. "Is that really true? I dunno... I think there's another way." After that, she glanced at the minority group and smiled.

"...And what's that?"

Audrey cackled. "Who knows? You might find out... tomorrow morning."

The air shifted.

Up to this point, it was reasonable. Rational. Everyone was going along... But Audrey just had to go say that.

She had to have known. The fear and the despair of the minority group who were forced to go along with things and didn't know what would happen next.

But she didn't care.

Seeing that... I sighed.

"What? Is the little prince charming mad?" Audrey stared at me, cackling.

"You crazy bitch."

"Huh?" Audrey dug her ear and said, "What was that?"

I shook my head and said, "I was being considerate since you played along in the first stage. But it seems there's a bitch here who doesn't know how to read the room and shut her mouth."

She blinked and then narrowed her eyes. "Ooh~ Getting feisty?

I narrowed my eyes back at her. "Sit down."

Audrey held up her hands. "Ooh. Scary, scary. You gonna hit me?"

I quietly walked over to her.

"Oh my~! What is little old me going to do?" She laughed and then gave me a mocking smile.

I grabbed her head and smashed it into the table.

"Kuh!" Audrey staggered, reeling from the blow.

But I didn't let her move, firmly pressing her head against the table.

A few of her comrades stepped forward. But before they could, Audrey shook her head and waved them down.

Silence filled the air.

And then laughter. "He. Hehe. Hehehe! You finally showed your true colors. Fine." Audrey looked up at me from beneath my hand and said, "I'll bark like you want me to. I don't see why not-"

"Then bark."

"What?"

I grinned and said, "Bark, you crazy bitch."

Her eyes widened.

I laughed and said, "Since we're at it, might as well stick up your leg and piss too like a proper bitch."

Audrey Basler's face contorted. "Hiyaa..." She sighed and then said, "You have quite the taste. You must really think you're something special because I kept calling you Prince. But." She looked at me and grinned, a dangerous glint in your eyes. "You sure you can handle me?"

"...Heh. Seems like this bitch needs some discipline." I let her go and tossed my sword aside.

"Oh?" She stood up and cracked her knuckles. "You think I'm scared of you? Funny."

"I think you're a bitch who needs to be neutered."

"Tough talk, pretty boy. But-" She blurred, dashing to the side for an ambush. But then-

*Thwack*

Her head was smacked to the side.

But that wasn't all.

"Wai-"

Another dull blow from her stomach.

She spun to the ground and then cursed. Reaching to her thigh, she pulled out a dagger and charged-

And I grabbed her hand, holding her in place.

"What-?"

I wrenched the knife away and then stepped forward, punching her face.

She spun from the force of the blow and then landed on the ground.

I quietly stepped forward. "Sacrifice, sacrifice, sacrifice... People like you can only think of numbers. Interests. Benefits." I stomped on her nose, causing blood to scatter.

"Say we all fight." I kicked the side of her head, breaking her jaw. After that, I knelt down and picked her up, looking her in the eye.

"Less than half can leave." I tossed her back onto the ground and then stood up, stomping on her arm and pulverizing her bones.

She screamed.

I knelt down beside her and said, "The other people will have to fight again. Then what?" 

Audrey flinched. "I-"

I punched her lips, sending white teeth flying.

Audrey screamed again.

I grabbed her hair and held up her head, glaring into her eyes. "I'll find out in the morning?" I tightened my grip and then smashed her head into the ground. "The fuck is that bullshit?"

Pained sobs. Audrey started whimpering.

Her comrades, thinking she was playing around until that point, finally stepped forward. "Oi! That's enough-"

"Mhm. That's enough out of you, too." Hao Win stepped forward and said, "Don't you think interfering in a one on one fight is cheating?" Behind him, the members of the Triad had gathered.

But-

"It's fine, Bro." I looked at him and dusted off my hands. "Seems like people these days won't learn without getting sense beaten into them."

Hao Win's eyes widened and then he laughed. "Of course Bro. My bad." He held up his hands and stepped back, motioning his men to do the same.

Audrey's comrades drew their weapons and stepped forward. "You-"

"*Kneel*."

Crushing mana.

Without an exception, they all collapsed on the ground, the tiles shattering beneath them as they did.

Silence.

I slowly walked forward and then eyed all of them. "You said that's enough, huh? Right, right. It's probably enough when you guys get it done to you, huh?"

"You... fucker...!"

I laughed. "Fucker... That sounds about right. Because I'm about to fuck you all up."

I kicked the first person I saw, breaking his ribs. Next, his legs.

Slow and meticulous dismemberment. Pulverizing limbs, shredding muscles, shattering bones.

And then all of Audrey's companions were on the ground, whimpering in pain and a puddle of blood. Some even started convulsing, their bodies shorting out from the sheer pain and hovering a breath away from death.

Of course, they wouldn't die. Not while I was here.

After giving those bastards a cursory look and manually circulating their blood to make sure they wouldn't drop dead in the next five minutes, I walked back over to Audrey. Looking down at her, I smiled and said, "Get up."

"Heek." She squealed and tried to crawl away.

I kicked her over, causing her to fall flat. After that, I smiled and said, "Get up. You're still alive, aren't you? That means you can still fight."

She rolled over and slowly crawled towards me. "Sph... spware me..." Because of her broken teeth, a faint whistle came with her words. "I'm sowwy... I'm sowwy... spware me..."

Her eyes were dyed from bluish-red bruises. Her entire body reeked of blood.

I kicked her hands away and then said, "Get up."

She flinched, tears of blood falling from her eyes. "Ow... Ow do ash you shay... sho... pweash..."

I stood quiet.

"Barw... Ow barw... Arf! Arf, arf! Arf, arf, arf!"

Pitiful and desperate barking.

Seeing that, I shook my head. After that, I kneeled down to look at her and held out my hand, lifting her chin.

She stared back at me, her eyes trembling with fear. At the same time, color emerged around her. Black threads... Karmic bonds of ill-intent that wrapped around her neck and my left arm like a leash.

Right. Because I had no intention of letting this go.

Seeing that, I sighed and shook my head. 

She froze.

I gestured towards her comrades and said, "Look. Because you didn't listen when I asked nicely, all of this happened." I turned her head to let her see her comrades, dismembered and slowly bleeding out.

Her eyes shook and she even started to gag at the horrific sight.

I turned her back to look at me. "I didn't tell you to die." I shook my head and said, "In fact, I wanted you to live. I wanted all of us to live. It was a cooperation where no one would lose."

She trembled, her entire body shaking in fear as she looked at me.

"Come on. You knew it too." I stared at her and smiled. "It was the best outcome... but you had to be a bit too selfish. And now look at you."

I let go of her head, letting her collapse to the ground.

After that, I turned back to look at the majority faction. "We'll consider Audrey Basler and her five teammates as part of the minority faction when we're forming the teams- Ah." I paused and then turned back around. "Right... that's not possible if you guys die on me, huh?"

I walked back to Audrey and picked her up.

She trembled, desperately wanting to leave, but her body refused to budge.

I smiled and gently patted her shoulder. "Don't worry. I'm not a sadist." Saying that, warm light spread out from my hands. The 'Cure Critical Wounds' that Yuhui cast on me before.

In an instant, Audrey's body was back to normal, her wounds wiped away like a bad dream. Even her teeth were restored, filling up the gaps from my punches... No, more than that, all of the wounds she had ever received were erased, turning her body back to the best shape of her life.

After that, I let her go.

She stumbled back and touched her face. Next, she tentatively rolled her shoulders and then looked at her hands. The hands that should have been covered in scars from her time in Paradise but were perfectly smooth. After seeing that, the fear in her eyes grew even more intense and she started trembling.

I ignored her and then waved my hand towards her teammates. More light flashed, causing their wounds to vanish as well.

But the blood and viscera didn't, showing that what happened was real.

That done, I turned back to Audrey. "You don't have any complaints about the change in plans, do you?"

"N-No Master Seol!" She quickly kowtowed, smacking her head on the ground. "This bitch doesn't dare! Arf! Arf, Arf!"

"Now, now." I picked her up and stood her straight. "Since you've learned your lesson, there's no need to act like that. Right?"

Audrey trembled, a thin yellow liquid dripping down her legs. Still, she didn't notice and quickly nodded. "Y-Yes! Anything you say, Master Seol!"

"Mm... I think it's fine." I smiled and said, "After all of that, you can just call me Jihu."

"Understood, Jihu!"

I glanced back at the others, realizing it was still quiet. "As I was saying... If anyone has a better idea, I'm open to discussion."

Suddenly, a muffled cackle rang out. Rahee shook her head and then walked over with light steps. After that, she stared at me, looking at me up to down.

I raised an eyebrow. "Do you have a complaint?"

"No, no. It's not about that. Hmm...." She shrugged and then said, "I want to be in the first team that enters the Plaza of the Dissonant Wish. Is that okay?"

She glanced at Audrey's shaking form and said, "I'm sure you've heard of the saying that the first button has to be fastened right. In exchange for going in first, I'll make sure to bring them all out."

"Mm..." I looked at her and said, "We can decide during the team conference."

Oh Rahee smiled and nodded. But then she shifted her gaze to Audrey. "Should I take her?"

"No." I walked over to Audrey and slung an arm around her shoulders. "I think we're good friends now after all of that. Right, Miss Basler?"

She trembled, as if facing the worst nightmare of her life, but quickly nodded. "T-That's right!"

"Good." I beckoned to Chohong and said, "This is my dear friend, Chohong. Since I'll be a bit busy with other things, she'll keep you company."

Chohong walked over, dragging her blood-stained mace on the grass field.

I looked up at her and said, "You don't mind, do you, Chohong?"

"No worries, Oppa." She looked at Audrey and said, "I just gotta take care of her until the end of the Banquet, right?"

"Mmhm." I looked at Audrey and said, "If you need anything, don't be afraid to ask Chohong, alright? Don't worry, she'll take good care of you."

Chohong grinned.

Audrey shuddered.

I looked at the High Rankers. Those bastards that had been looking down on me so arrogantly. Facing them, I smiled and said, "Any other objections?"

Silence.

I laughed.

xxx

The conference went on without a hitch after that.

But that was an obvious result. I had shown my powers, my reputation, and my stance.

Not only that, but I had the backing of the Triads and was close enough to the leader to call him my 'Bro.'

Suffice to say, even if anyone was dissatisfied with the plan, they weren't going to speak up about it now.

The 78 members of the majority were split into seven teams according to the main organizations, with the 32 members of the minority were distributed into each team as evenly as possible... Ah, I guess it was 73 and 37 now. Either way, the division was basically the same.

When that was done, the team for Plaza of Dissonant Wish were assigned. From our group, Hugo got chosen. Rahee was the leader of the group, like she wanted, and then the rest were just random people not worth bothering about.

There was a slight concern from people about losing battle power... But since I was going to be serious for once, that wasn't an issue.

Now that I had stepped forward, there was no point in holding back. And like Coach said... If a time came where I had to show everything, I shouldn't hold back.

I stared at the group waiting to enter the Plaza of Dissonant Wish.

Hugo gave me a thumbs up, while Rahee nodded her head. That situation was squared away.

Then...

I turned around and looked at the people standing behind me. The ones who I decided to lead.

Over a hundred people stared back at me. Some in expectation. Some in awe and respect. Some still in doubt.

Well, that last group would change their minds soon enough.

I turned towards the Plaza of Sacrifice and then nodded. "Let's go."

xxx

The plan was simple. Since the teams were assigned now, we would have a proper formation and tactics.

Each one entered in order and marked the door they were in charge of. In that way, we could prevent being overwhelmed when the monsters emerged.

I quietly placed my hand on my sword and stared at the door in front of me.

Shadowy figures were moving around in the distance. Still too far away to make out... and maybe because I had taken the initiative, they had also been obscured so that I couldn't make them out without forcibly breaking things, protected by Divine Energy.

But that was fine. Since there wasn't a backlash, it seemed like this was the right move. Or rather, the gods were allowing it.

I glanced behind me to check on my party.

Initially, Chohong and the others insisted on joining my group, but I waved them off.

Despite things going well so far, it was good to have contingency plans.

Yuhui could save a group from wiping. Chohong was an unstoppable tank from her new equipment. Kazuki was an ace Archer that had excellent judgment. And Maria was essentially a High Ranker with the new gear I gave her.

Putting them together with me was just overkill, so I had them join other parties.

So instead of them...

"...Are you sure this will be alright, Benefactor?" Vlad, the towering man with long dark hair.

Lara Wolff shifted in place, staring at the monsters hiding behind the door. "Not that I doubt you, Mister Jihu, but... Will it be fine with just you?"

I glanced back.

Vlad. Lara. Oana. Sophie. The four members from the minority group. In addition to them, there were eight other people that I didn't know. All level fours, without a single High Ranker.

It was a situation that nobody would want to take up. After all, we were all practically strangers and on paper lacked the power to deal with dangerous situations.

But...

"Don't worry about it." I smirked and swung my sword over my right shoulder. "I'm more than enough."

Laughter echoed from the group to our right. The one led by my good pal, Hao.

Did he hear what I said?

Hao turned towards the people in my group and stuck up his thumb. "Don't worry! Bro here might not be a High Ranker... but that's only because-"

"Oi!" I cut him off and then glared at him. "Don't go spilling my secrets!"

Hao chuckled and said, "Fine, fine. But try to leave some for the rest of us, alright?" He cracked his neck and then placed his hand on a heavy curved sword sheathed at his waist. "We gotta show off a bit too."

I shook my head and then focused on the monsters.

As if they were tired of waiting, the shadows quickly spilled out, surrounding us. And as they did, their features became visible.

Some archers fired arrows to try and get preemptive strikes. But it was useless, all of them striking against an invisible barrier.

Of course. This was supposed to be a 'fair' fight. Us getting in the first strike would go against that.

As a result, we all had to wait and watch as the doors opened and the monsters approached.

An organized march. Towering figures with monstrous muscles. Colorful war paint covered their green skin. Paired with the tusk-like fangs protruding from their mouths, our opponents cut a fearsome image.

But...

"Eh?" Hao's surprise voice echoed.

I blinked, just as surprised.

"Orcs?" Hao's voice echoed again, quickly followed by a laugh. He turned towards me and said, "Bro! Talk about coincidences!"

I glanced at him and chuckled. "Tell me about it..." It seemed like all that time grinding out the very hard mission in the Tutorial was about to pay off. "You remember the drill, right?"

"Don't worry. After that day, it'd be hard not too."

Off to the left, I noticed Kazuki staring at me. He frowned and said, "What are you talking about?"

I shrugged. "We fought these guys in the Neutral Zone. Of course, those were probably a lot weaker, but-"

The barrier faded.

"-They're the same. Just a bit harder."

I lowered my sword and glanced back at my party. "Stay safe. I'll handle the rough parts. You guys just focus on staying alive."

Vlad cracked his knuckles and nodded.

Lara bit her lips and then nodded as well. "We're counting on you, Mister Jihu!"

"Heh." I faced forward and stared at the first of our opponents. "I won't let you guys down."

An orc that towered over the others by at least a full head and with even larger muscles, making him look like a knock-off Hulk. Only, this guy was fully armed with a heavy bastard sword that looked like a normal blade in one hand and with a full tower shield covering his body in the other. The Orc Champion, supposedly the Elite guard of an Orc Lord that was said to be on the level of a Unique Ranker.

Was it because they were confident in that orc? The only other monsters with that orc were some short orcs with spears and barely any armor. Newbies.

But I couldn't underestimate it.

Was it because the makers of this place took into account my skill level?

Even with my training, the orc in front of me was glowing an ominous deep crimson, bordering on black.

But.

I tightened my grip on my sword and focused.

"...You're wrong if you think I'm going down that easy."

Kazuki's voice filled the air. "Get ready! Kill your enemies as fast as possible and then help the other teams!"

Silence. Everyone preparing for the incoming fight.

And then the barrier dropped.

The Orc Champion stepped forward, raising his sword. At the same time, he opened his mouth and let out an ear-splitting roar, one that echoed from behind.

KUOOOOOOOOOO!

If it was an ordinary roar, that was fine. But I could sense it. Mana infused the sound, a sonic attack meant to not only dampen moral but stun the enemy.

"LIKE I'D LET YOU!"

I roared back and nullified the sound and mana waves, sending the arena back into silence.

The Orc Champion scowled and then glared at me.

I glared back.

And then...

"GUOOOO!" The Orc Champion roared again, a normal battle cry and rushed at me. At the same time, the sounds of arrows flying through the air echoed in the arena.

But I didn't have time to pay attention to that.

A single instant.

Within that span, the Orc Champion arrived in front of me, sword lashing out with a blinding slash.

"Mister Jihu!" Lara's voice called out.

I ignored it, focusing on the enemy before me.

I could sense it even without the ominous dark red light around him. The Orc Champion's physical strength surpassed mine. It wasn't a matter of quality, but quantity. Sheer physics working against me.

Still-

The bastard sword flew towards my neck.

The split moment before it cut me, I stepped forward, shoulder checking the orc.

It staggered, momentarily breaking its posture.

I took the chance and swung my sword at its exposed chest, but the orc quickly pounced back, clearing the distance.

Arrows flew towards it, Lara trying to support me. But the orc raised its massive shield, blocking them all.

I glanced at Lara and said, "Don't worry. I've got this."

The bob-cut female archer stared at me and then nodded.

The Orc Champion glared.

Did it sense the threat I posed? This time instead of a haphazard slash, it carefully stepped forward and raised its shield, looking like a true warrior.

I could end it. Intuitively, I knew that magic would cut him down. Not only that, but Energy Domination could easily lock him in place while I attacked.

And as if to confirm my thoughts, the moment I considered shifting tactics, the light around the Orc Champion vanished. If I chose to attack from a distance, it would be an easy win.

But I didn't want that.

My heart pounded in my chest as I tightened the grip around my sword. With it, the dark crimson light flared back around the Orc Champion. Immediate Danger that was almost a Fated Demise.

But at the same time, I could sense it. The 'realm' that Maldong talked about. That 'enlightenment' that would lead to my unique path.

As if reacting to the threat, my body and my intuition was responding. My senses expanded, my focus sharpened. And something from deep inside of me was being drawn out.

The Orc Champion narrowed its eyes. Did it sense my determination? Or did it realize that it had to end things before I changed my mind? Either way, in the next moment, the Orc Champion roared. Its eyes turned red and it charged at me, a bolt of green lightning. At the same time, black light wreathed it. 

An attack that I couldn't avoid. A skill that an Orc Champion shouldn't have.

Awakening Skill: Berserk.

Faced with my Fated Demise, time seemed to slow down. At the same time, countless threads spilled out in front of me.

No. Not just threads. Particles, vibrating waves, mana, energy... The world and nature itself, with my own existence acting as one. No, unifying the disparate parts into a single whole-

Ah.

So that's how...

xxx

"Jihu!" Kazuki cursed and reloaded his crossbow.

The Orc Shaman was down. But the Orc Champion his group chose to fight was stronger than expected. Though the madness enhancement should have worn off with the death of the shaman, the Orc Champion suddenly regained its intelligence and made up for the lack in strength with technique and wit.

Meaning that Kazuki didn't have the time to spare for Jihu. "Dammit!" The Japanese Archer clicked his tongue and shot a flurry of arrows at the Orc Champion.

But they missed.

The Orc Champion dodged them all and turned towards Kazuki, sneering.

Kazuki smiled back.

The Orc Champion looked confused for a split second. And then a blur charged in from the side.   

Chohong. She charged, swinging her mace at the orc. As the black mace moved, mana swirled around its head. And when it did, the ground around the Orc Champion cracked, gravity suddenly increasing. 

The Orc Champion growled and swung its axe at Chohong's exposed left side. As it did, the a smirk appeared on its face. 

But Chohong smirked too.

The axe reached Chohong's side. But when it did, light splashed from the titanium chain diamond bracelet on Chohong's left wrist.

The Orc Champion's axe bounced off an impenetrable white barrier and sent the Orc Champion staggering back.

And then Chohong's mace connected.

Blood sprayed, but the Orc Champion managed to back off in time, avoiding a fatal blow.

But all of that didn't matter. What did was that while Chohong distracted the Orc Champion, Kazuki was free to act.

During the time Chohong fought the Orc Champion, the Japanese Archer shifted his attention to the orc fighting Jihu. And as he watched the fight, Kazuki clicked his tongue.

They miscalculated. Did the Banquet account for Jihu's ridiculous nature? The monster Jihu was fighting wasn't an Orc Champion. It looked like one, but from that skill, that speed... It was an Orc Lord instead. Something that could be on par with a Unique Ranker.

Kazuki didn't hesitate and sent supporting fire. But the Orc Lord blurred, dodging each arrow. At the same time, it charged towards Jihu, bastard sword swung in a blinding slash, one that even Kazuki could barely see.

A blinding attack. One that couldn't be dodged. An unexpected trump card that the Orc Lord pulled out... Awakening Skill: Berserk. A sudden and explosive increase in speed and strength.

Was Jihu caught off guard? Or could he not react to it? The young man was standing there, not moving.

"JIHU! FALL BACK!"

Even so, Kazuki called out. As if praying for a miracle, he screamed.

But the blade struck. The giant weapon cleaved into Jihu's body, sending blood scattering-

Wait. There wasn't any blood.

Just as Kazuki blinked as if to check his eyes, Jihu reappeared behind the Orc Lord, his blade raised.

'Spatial leap? No, Ethereal Shift?'

Kazuki couldn't believe it. Moving like that... it was no longer a matter of speed. Rather than closing distance, it was moving through space itself. An instantaneous movement.

But the Orc Lord wasn't weak. It instinctively reacted to Jihu's movement and lifted up its shield to block.

The sound of crashing steel echoed and the Orc Lord pushed back with its shield to send Jihu flying. 

At least, it intended to. 

But the shield swept through empty air. Jihu was already gone. Not only that, he had reappeared at the Orc Lord's exposed left side. Reappeared, and swung his sword.

The Orc Lord hurriedly pulled his sword in to parry. But there was no contact. The Orc Lord's sword cut down to knock Jihu's sword aside, but it cut through it, like his blade was a hologram. And at the same time, Jihu's sword bit into the Orc Lord's left side... causing a deep gash to appear on the orc's right side. As if Jihu had attacked there instead.

"What in the world...?" Kazuki muttered.

He wasn't alone. The chaotic battlefield froze, all eyes turned onto Jihu.

But he didn't notice. Stepping back, he paused for a brief moment and tilted his head, as if assessing the situation. And then he dashed forward again, slashing at the Orc Lord.

The orc roared and swung his sword at Jihu. Once more, it used the Awakening Skill and boosted its speed and strength, turning into a green blur. And once more, the giant bastard sword cut into Jihu's body, ripping him apart.

...Or so it appeared.

Once again, the sword passed through Jihu's body. But this time, he didn't disappear. Like a ghost, he stepped forward, leaving an afterimage of him behind, and then slashed his sword through the Orc's chest.

The glowing emerald blade made a clean line through the air. As such, it should have been a pristine cut. The Orc Lord falling neatly into halves.

But instead of a thin line, the orc's body was gouged as if a dragon clawed it, leaving behind three gaping wounds and tearing out half of its head.

The Orc Lord didn't even have time to process it. What was left of its head was still blinking as it fell to the ground in a puddle of flesh and blood.

And then Jihu straightened, his hazy form turning back solid.

After flicking his blade, he spun around to look at the Orc Champion fighting Chohong.

The Orc Champion turned to stare, its eyes wide.

Jihu swung his sword again.

It was an attack that shouldn't connect. But...

*schink*

A neat sound. Blade cutting through flesh.

Like that, the Orc Champion collapsed, falling to the ground in pieces.

Goosebumps ran down Kazuki's back, and he remembered what he saw with Jang Maldong back at the mountain.

A sudden evolution in skill. A monstrous talent... Suddenly, he realized why even the old master was shaken.

Still, this was good. No, this was better than good.

Untouchable, inviolable, and standing with an imperial air... Just like an Emperor.

Clenching his hand into a fist, Kazuki pumped it into the air and shouted. "Jihu!" He shouted again and said, "Carpe Diem's Seol Jihu has defeated the Orc leaders!"

xxx

[The ability, 'All as One (Low)' has been created.]

I staggered, feeling completely exhausted. At the same time, I had a sense of accomplishment.

'I saw it.'

The realm that existed beyond everything else. One that belonged to me alone, the enlightenment as a result of my abilities.

But the battle wasn't over yet.

Casting a quick look around the arena, while I took out the commanders, the Orc Warriors hadn't lost their morale just yet. They had sensed my strength, so they didn't lose morale at seeing their leader lose. Instead, they became desperate. I could see them starting to rush towards the other participants.

Before then...

I held up my left arm.

Hao's laughter echoed in the arena. "Bro, you crazy bast-"

"Lightning."

I swung it down, like an executioner signaling the end.

Blinding light flashed through the arena. And when it died down, all that remained of the orcs were ashes.

A crack.

I felt something in me break at the attack. Was it because my 'enlightenment' went beyond what my body could handle? Or was it because it was shifting to accommodate the change?

I didn't know, but I suddenly felt drained. Even so, I forced myself to stand tall and remain calm, moving my body by manipulating it with my abilities.

My job wasn't over just yet.

xxx

Since the battle ended quickly, there weren't any casualties. However, that wasn't to say that there weren't any injuries. Because of the desperate attacks near the end, more than a few people were injured.

Fortunately, it was within the margin of error, and there were plenty of priests free to heal them all.

While that was being done, I walked over to Plaza of the Dissonant Wish.

The portal was still active, meaning that they hadn't returned yet.

I made a show of reaching into my bag and then pulled out a lawn chair. I unfolded it and then sat down on it, waiting.

As I did, I heard footsteps coming from behind.

"As expected. You really are suited to be an Emperor rather than a Leader, Jihu." Kazuki walked over, a wide smile on his face.

I turned towards him and then moved to stand up. But before I could, Kazuki waved me down.

"It's fine. After all you did, it's better to take a breather. Not to mention it helps with your image."

"...Thanks." I nodded.

Kazuki turned to stare at the Plaza of Dissonant Wishes and said, "I didn't expect it though. I knew that you were incredible, but to this extent... Are you really only a level two?"

"You know. At this point, I'm not too sure anymore."

I honestly didn't remember. But...

"Does it matter though?"

Kazuki shrugged. "I suppose it doesn't. Someone as crazy as you breaks the normal conventions anyway."

"Mm... How are the others?"

"Maria and Priestess Sunshine are treating the injured. Of course, with that stunt you pulled, there aren't that many. As for Chohong and that Audrey Basler... The former is taking a break while the latter seems to be waiting for you to call on her."

"Huh. Guess I made an impression on Miss Snake Eyes."

Kazuki chuckled.

At that time, people began to walk out of the Plaza of the Dissonant Wish.

Kazuki glanced at them and said, "It seems like they're back."

I nodded. "Yeah. And they look pretty upset."

Hugo's face was grim. Rahee looked pissed off. And the others... Well, they were also pretty annoyed.

I stood up and walked over, meeting them. "I take it the situation didn't go as planned?"

The four in the back didn't respond. Were they intimidated by my presence? Or did they hear what I did?

Rahee didn't care though and immediately spat out her vexations. "No. It went well. But the damned rewards..."

"Weren't what you wished for. Right?" I smiled.

Rahee blinked. "Huh?"

Hugo's eyes widened and then he said, "Bro... Don't tell me you have an idea to get better rewards?"

I glanced at him and shook my head. "No. The stage is set and the rewards are also set. You can't change what you got... And the system isn't going to give you what you want. After all, that's why they called it the Plaza of Dissonant Wish. But..." I looked to Rahee and then the others. "Who's to say you have to hold onto what you received? It's not like there's a curse binding it to you or anything. Right?"

Silence. And then the group quickly started unwrapping their treasures.

Of course.

After all. If the gods wouldn't give you what you wanted, why not trade it for something you did?

xxx

I was tired and drained. Maybe due to that, the next few days went by in a blur.

After my guidance on how everyone could just trade their Dissonant Wishes to get the one they wanted, the tense atmosphere finally broke down into a festive one.

Although never what the user wished for, the reward was always powerful and valuable. As a result, everyone was bound to find something they really wanted among the other participants.

The clearing speed increased after that without hassle.

One day. Two. Three... Before long, a whole week had passed and the second stage was cleared.

Only then did I head off to make my wish.

...In all honesty, I didn't need anything. Even while examining all the items that people got, they were still subpar to what I could make.

But I was curious. After all, due to my skills, anything I got could be used as material.

And the most useful thing right now...

The Dissonant Wish worked by giving you what you didn't wish for in the worse way possible.

So I wished for something extremely destructive. An item with the ability to destroy as much as my atomic bomb spell. And what I got...

"An elixeer, huh?"

I stared at the glittering bottle in surprise.

It was similar to the divine elixirs, but instead of increasing stats, it seemed to be a powerful restorative.

I tucked it away in my bag and then looked around.

The crowd of people had grown thin, most already leaving through the portal. Whether they would immediately head back to Paradise or to Stage 3 though was up to luck.

Or that was what the description said. But as I expected, when I entered the portal...

"I knew it."

...I ended up somewhere else.

94