Chapter 8 – The Elders
301 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To Celestials, rules are rules. It was not like on Earth, where judges could feel pity when trial of an old woman who had to steal some bananas because of hunger—and finally gave her a lighter sentence. Or like a drug lord such as Pablo Escobar who repeatedly escaped prison because of the power of His money and popularity.

Mortals couldn't bribe Celestials with gold and gems. Or tempt them with any worldly treasure. Because we were born without feelings let alone greed like the mortals. We had a sense of responsibility that felt compelled to harness the power of the galaxy to protect the Milky Way. The reason why we were not bored for being immortal was because of our high curiosity.

Even after billions of years—we hadn't really explored the universe far enough.

Celestials are reluctant to get involved in drama or get caught up in the mortals' pleas for mercy. When the mortals made a mistake—we simply ignored them. Or in some cases— destroy them. When the Elders agreed and gave permission, the execution would take place.

It was a very common thing, we did it so often that it felt like catching the flu over and over again. I should be the same. I had only known the planet Staraid for one day. I was supposed to simply join with other Celestials and move to another planet and save all the data about this beautiful planet into my memory.

Unfortunately it was not easy. Because I was born with my memories as a human and I have feelings. Moreover, the Celestials in the form of angels said they would be annihilated just for talking to me. I will live forever and I didn't think I could bear the burden of guilt for the next tens of thousands of years.

"We're going to the main shrine to discuss this with the elders," the Celestial informed.

He lifted my body, making it float with his galactic power. Maybe he had heard about me from Uhme. He knew I was a newborn who obviously didn't know how to fly. The wings on his back were just decorations. He didn't flap it at all. I doubt if he even could move it.

"There's been a misunderstanding," I said flatly, but I made sure he could hear me.

He turned his head, I didn't know what his face looked like because he was wearing a silver mask. But he seemed interested in what I was about to say.

"They don't know I'm a Celestial," I said again.

"I saw you in the line of athletes and talking to them," the Celestial refuted.

"That's my own acts, I'm a Newborn and don't really understand the rules of this planet. I accidentally saw that Garuru and wanted to investigate it," I lied again a little.

"Technically, they're not talking to a Celestial," I added.

The winged celestial was clearly still doubting my testimony.

"The elders will decide,"

I looked down and saw the wolf-like monster bound to the lava chains and flying with us. Even though we're used to destroying civilization—usually it's not spontaneous. It took some time to determine who Will be the executors and how to execute them. We had to make sure that the balance doesn't break in the galaxy if our target was destroyed.

So even if the Staraid mortals were found guilty—we wouldn't necessarily let Garuru run amok on the planet. Celestials control the galactic monsters on special planets and they would be utilized according to the situation.

"We're here," he said as the gate opened.

The original mortal body would not be able to survive here. Besides taking advantage of the steepness of the hill, the Celestials also modified the weather. I could see a swirl of cloudy clouds above the main shrine which was similar to the atmosphere of the sky before a storm. The cloud spread snow that felt sharp against the skin.

The inside of the temple was very quiet and spacious. It was as if the door had been made especially for the giants. I knew that the door leaf itself was very heavy and wouldn't budge even if it was hit by a nuclear explosion. It was a little fraction of the Celestials power that appeared in the eyes of the mortals. It shows the gap in skill level between us and them.

There were no statues or ornaments of any kind other than very old intricate carvings on door handles or window frames. There was no other lighting other than the slightly dim starlight of the planet Staraid. It was indeed much older than the sun and will grow to become a giant red star in less than a billion years.

The spacious room was very empty and cold. The winged Celestial came at me after having previously tied the wolf monster to one of the temple pillars.

"They'll be here in a minute," he said.

I waited, I thought he'd let me sit down or something. But he didn't. It's a little awkward. Should I ask His name?

"You chose that form?"

"What?"

"Mortal Staraid, do you want to use it forever?"

"No, there was a situation where I had to transform into a Staraid person. I just tried to blend in," I explained.

"Usually you wouldn't transform into a being similar to the majority of the inhabitants of the planet you're currently on. Uhme was the Celestial who first guided you right? She was wearing the looks of the amphibians on planet Draugluin. If she was on that planet—she would have transformed into something else." The winged Celestial explained.

His hair was long with a golden silver color. His posture and tone of voice indicated that he was a man.

Celestials were born without gender, we ourselves decide whether we want to be male or female. There was never an androgynous or transgender character between us. Because for us there was no gray. There was only black or white.

Uhme, choosed to be a woman. The angelic celestial was a man. While I—obviously also a man.

"This isn't the first form I've chosen," I said.

"After all, we're always reincarnating or changing forms. How do you guys recognize fellow Celestials?" I asked because there was no clear data about it in my memory.

"Aramir!" I heard someone calling.

The vast empty room was now glowing. Atomic particles such as shining dust appear like holograms then solidify and display a solid form that can be touched.

I counted there are five Celestials including Uhme around us right now.

"Aranath, welcome," the winged Celestial who turned out to be called Aramir bowed.

I was a little nervous, but didn't want to show it other than standing still and staring at them one by one. That celestial named Aranath, his form wasn't humanoid at all. He was like a dragon, with webbed wings and jet black scales and rows of sinister teeth. Such a body would be uncomfortable to move around. But they were Celestials, they could change form whenever they want.

Only, there was one form that the Celestials chose as their official incarnation.

"Sit down, Newborn," Aranath spoke to me as I watched his fingers swing slightly and elaborately carved gilded benches made of the floor I stood on. Besides Aranath, the Celestials also sat down.

In addition to Uhme in the form of a merman woman, I also saw a male Celestial who reminded me of Dr.Manhattan from the classic movie The Watchmen. His head was hairless and his body almost transparent with a golden yellow glow flashing from him. Another Celestial takes the form of a female humanoid with four arms—like Goddess Kali. Another in the form of a dwarf with pointy ears that reminds me of the goblins in the Harry Potter universe.

"Newborn, which form did you show me first?" Uhme reprimanded me.

"What?"

"We want to see it, you said you liked the form," Uhme said again.

I nodded and transformed into my original body before I died blowing myself up on Earth. I present myself as a black-eyed Southeast Asian man, with the hair slightly longer than before I entered the military. I had an exotic brown skin and an Asian posture. It's just, I was taller than the average guy around me back then and some people say I'm quite handsome.

"This is what I told you earlier, he said he was being creative," Uhme whispered to her partner.

"I've never seen a physical character like this in the records recorded at Trevals," the Dr. Manhattan-like Celestial commented.

"Creative, huh? It's not the first time. But usually only old Celestials like to do it. Combining a humanoid character with an animal or something. But, let it be. It's up to you. Then, what's your name?" Aranath asked.

"Names? Uhme said I haven't been given a name, he said it was you who—"

"Not infrequently, newborn Celestials choose their own names. but if you're confused I can help you," The dragon spoke to me.

"No, I think I've chosen my name,"

I decided to preserve the memories of Earth little by little. Maybe one day I could search for the sun—visit my solar system and scavenge what's left of Earth. But for now onwards I will live as a Celestial with my human identity.

"Reo Angkasa, that's my name. You can call me Reo,"

3