Chapter 34 – Registering as an Awakened
4.8k 9 167
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Son, it’s good that you are alright. Did you miss your mother?”

“M-Mom? When did you return? I thought your trip would last a few days more.”

“Just a bit earlier. I rushed to finish my trip so I could return earlier. Were you taking a bath?”

“Yeah, well, I trained a bit after waking up, so I decided to take a bath to wash off my sweat.”

“It looks like you are working hard, huh.” My mother smiled softly. “It’s great. Don’t waste this opportunity now that you Awakened.”

“I know, mom,” I said with a serious expression.

My mother, Helen Walker, has always supported my attempts to Awaken. Even when it seemed that it was hopeless, she never stopped supporting me.

I’m grateful for that. That is the reason why even though my mother is always busy and she can hardly spend time with us, my relationship with her is very close.

Actually, perhaps the reason she has always supported my dreams is that she feels apologetic for being unable to spend time with us.

In fact, right now, she was looking at me with an apologetic expression.

“… Son, I’m sorry. Even though you had an accident and something so important such as your Awakening happened, I was unable to accompany you.”

I smiled wryly and shook my head.

“Don’t worry about that mom. I know how hard you work for Ley and me. I would be a jerk if I’m angry with you after knowing it.”

“Jane is right, Helen.” Mrs. Kim intervened. “Don’t blame yourself too much. I’m sure Ley also understands.”

My mother nodded bitterly.

“Sorry… And thank you, Kalie. I don’t know what I would do if you were not there to watch over my children. You have been like a second mother for them.”

“Please, you are exaggerating.” Mrs. Kim hurriedly said.

“I’m not. I’m always relieved when my children are with you. I know that nothing wrong will happen to them with you nearby.”

Mrs. Kim nodded. However, an almost unnoticeable trace of guilt appeared on her face.

After all, just yesterday, she had ‘eaten’ one of the children of her best friend.

When Mrs. Kim noticed that I was staring at her, she forced out a smile. She then waited until my mother was not paying attention to wink at me and make a zipping gesture on her lips.

I smiled wryly and nodded, indicating to her that I would not tell anyone about what happened last night.

After talking with my mother for a few more minutes, I went to change my clothes before returning to the living room to eat breakfast.

Ley and Jessica had already woken up by then and were seated at the table together with my mother and Scarlet, our Somali cat (Scarlet was lying on the table with a bored face). Soon, Mrs. Kim brought the breakfast.

After breakfast, I decided to go to the Awakening Association to report my awakening, together with my sister and mother.

The Awakening Association is the organization that regulates the Awakened. It’s a government organization, and every person must register on it after Awakening, otherwise, they will become rogue Awakened, and be treated like criminals.

Also, the Awakened Association assigns the Tiers of the Awakened. When an Awakened increases on tier, he must go to the association to register it. Otherwise, it will be a crime as well.

The process of registering as an Awakened was very simple. I just measured my mana and showed them my skills.

I decided to report two skills. One of them was Lightning Seed, and the other was Physical Strengthening (Lightning Body Refinement Technique).

My mother, my sister, and the staff of the association were very surprised after seeing my two skills. After all, skills were very uncommon, and having two skills just after awakening was even more uncommon.

My mother and sister knew about Lightning Seed, but I had not told them about the Lightning Body Refinement Technique. After all, this technique was very different from this world’s skills. In fact, I only reported that my body had been strengthened, but I didn’t tell them about the process.

Due to that, my second skill was registered as [Physical Strengthening], one of the most common skills. But I was alright with that. I prefer that to revealing the strangeness of my situation.

As soon as we left the association, my mother looked at me with a soft gaze.

“I did not know you awakened two skills, Jane. That is excellent. I’m very proud of you.”

“Yeah, brother. Very few people awaken two abilities. Moreover, both skills are pretty great. That is at the level of a genius!”

I smiled bashfully at my mother and sister’s praise. However, I knew in my mind that I was not a genius.

This was just the result of the demon’s teachings.

“By the way, have you decided what school to join?” My mother suddenly asked.

I hesitated for a moment before answering.

“Sanctuary’s First.”

My mother was startled, but she quickly nodded.

“Sanctuary’s First, huh… You just Awakened so it will be a bit hard. But I can move some strings to help you. Mm, Sanctuary’s First is good. There is no better school than that.”

Sanctuary was the name of the city where we lived, the capital of the First District, and the most important city in the World’s United Government. And Sanctuary’s First Awakened College was publicly known as the best college in the city.

Entering Sanctuary’s First was very hard, and only geniuses among geniuses were qualified to enter it. With my current strength, entering Sanctuary’s First was borderline impossible.

Of course, it was also possible to enter it if you have the right connections, and I’m sure my mother can get me a place in Sanctuary’s First without a problem.

However, I want to enter Sanctuary’s First with my own strength. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I want to try.

I did not tell my mother or sister about it, though. I didn’t want to worry them.

I will just train secretly with the demon's help for the next month. Then, I will surprise them.

I want to make them feel proud of me.

167