Chapter 68 – To Kill Him
2.9k 6 119
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as we felt the murderous gaze on us, we tensed up.

I instinctively circulated my mana and grabbed my spear as I fixed my eyes on the leader of the robbers. And Karime, Jessica, and Andrew stood up and took a battle stance.

But to my surprise, the robber did not attack us. He just glared at us for several seconds before walking away.

I let out a relieved sigh and stopped circulating my mana, but my expression remained tense.

‘As expected, he is here too.’

Just his aura filled with killing intent and his murderous eyes were enough to make clear that he was here for revenge. Most likely, the reason he did not attack us just now was that there were three powerful Awakened from the government here, but as long as he finds an appropriate opportunity, he will definitively try to kill us.

‘This is not good. I need to think on something…’

“Jane, is he the one that was robbing the bank?” Mary asked at that moment.

I hesitated briefly before nodding. There is no way we can hide it now.

Mary looked in the direction of the leader of the robbers before looking at me with a playful smile.

“He seems very angry. It looks like it's not just about seeing him robbing a bank.”

Our expressions stiffened, and I could not help but look at Mary with a wary gaze.

But Mary just chuckled. “Don’t worry, don’t worry. I don’t plan to pry too much. A lot of things happen inside dungeons, and many of them can't be known to others. People in our line of work must know how to keep our curiosity at bay, otherwise, we will meet trouble sooner or later.”

“… Thank you for the advice.”

“Come on, don’t be so stiff with me.” Mary grinned and pulled me towards her, hugging my neck seductively. “I told you that I like you, didn’t I? Don’t worry about that guy. If he tries something funny, this big sis will protect you.”

I smiled wryly with an embarrassed expression and tried to escape from Mary’s hug, but she pulled me closer until our lips were about to touch.

But just then, someone snorted.

“Brother-in-law.”

Jessica and Karime’s cold gazes pierced my back.

“Cough…”

I hurriedly moved away, finally escaping from Mary’s grasp. At the same time, I coughed softly to hide my embarrassment.

“So cute.” Mary giggled, making my face turn a deeper shade of red.

It’s my first dealing with someone as bold as Mary. Due to it, I’m defenseless against her teasing.

Even if I know she is doing it only for fun, I can’t help but be swept by her pace.

Noticing that the atmosphere was a bit awkward, Andrew hurriedly changed the topic.

“Jane, what are we going to do about that man? I don’t feel safe knowing that he can attack us at any time.

“Why don’t we tell the Awakened of the government about it?” Karime suggested with a whisper that only we could hear. “The Awakened called Jhon told us that someone asked him to look out for us. He could help us.”

I had already considered that option before, but I immediately discarded it.

“No. The fewer people know about it, the better. Our backgrounds are delicate. If someone learns about everything that happened here, they could use it against us.”

“But brother-in-law, we acted in self-defense.”

“But we can’t prove it. And even if we could prove it, a scandal at this time could affect our admission to the academy. Even worse, it can affect the standing of our parents.”

Jessica and Karime looked at each other with worried expressions.

“Then, are we going to do nothing?” Andrew asked.

“That is the best solution.” I sighed with a bitter smile. “I don’t like it either, but the best we can do now is to keep ourselves safe. Once we leave the dungeon, we will have many means to take care of him.”

Our families are relatively influential, so as long as the situation is not too grave, they can help us to take care of it.

My three friends thought for a moment before nodding reluctantly.

Just at that moment, the voice of the demon sounded in my mind.

[Boy, I have a proposal for you.]

‘A proposal? What is it about?’ I asked confused.

[Find a way to kill the leader of the robbers before the dungeon collapses.]

I furrowed my brows.

What is it about, demon?

[We came to this dungeon to train, but due to you meeting your friends, your training has not been as satisfactory as I expected. That man is an opportunity to make up for it. He is strong, but if you play your cards right, you should have an opportunity to take care of him. If you manage to take care of him, then we can consider this training successful.]

I frowned and started to think. I considered carefully the demon’s proposal, but to be honest, I was not that convinced.

I mean, I’m just a Tier 2 Awakened, while that man is a Tier 5 Awakened. That is three whole levels above me.

Even if I go all out, I can at most show the strength of a Tier 4 Awakened. I’m not confident about defeating him.

[I never told you that you must fight him fairly. You can make use of any trick you can think of to kill him, I won’t mind it. Mmm… How about it, if you manage to kill him, I will give you a reward.]

‘A reward?’ I was curious. ‘What kind of reward?’

[A kind of skill.] The demon’s voice was calm. [Plus. I promise you that if you fail, I will guarantee your safety. However, you will have to do something for me.]

This...

Hey, when did the demon become so generous?

Could it be a trap? Perhaps he hopes that I fail and then he will make me do something dangerous?

[Don’t overthink it. If you fail, you will dislike what I'm going to ask you to do, but it's not something that you will hate. Just a small punishment. Then, will you do it?]

I put on a hesitant expression. Should I?

To be honest, it's a good proposal.

Quickly, my eyes became determined.

If the demon’s words are right, then this is a deal with high reward and low risk; and the demon should not have a reason to lie to me.

Plus, this was a good opportunity to test the limits of my abilities.

Thus, after thinking for several seconds, I made up my mind.

“I’m in.”

The demon grinned.

[Good. Then, you should start thinking about how you are going to kill him.]

119