Volume 14, Chapter 28: Start of Summer Break
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thursday Spring Quarter 2016 Finals Week

“Want to explain why I woke up so early?" I met up with Felicity in front of the library.

"I just needed some company, Yuki. It's so lonely on finals week. None of my friends are around and Tess is busy. You're the only one I can depend on," Felicity explained, leading me up to a library study room.

"I can’t believe this," I muttered.

I yawned and considered buying breakfast from the food court located below the student lounge. Felicity opened up her books and cross-referenced notes. I saw simple math on the whiteboard along with little doodles of cash signs.

"Are you studying for an econ class?" I pointed at the board.

"Yeah, want to help me out? Here's a list of terms I need to know. Quiz me," Felicity requested, handing me a list.

I helped her study for the next two hours. My drowsiness subsided so I left to grab food midway through the impromptu study session. I considered ditching on my back but I owed Felicity so might as well suck it up.

"Thanks for all the help, Yuki. Oh, what did everyone say about my little celebration?" she questioned.

"I got some bad news for you. Kisai might be the only one who can make it," I replied.

"Maybe I should postpone and pick a different date. But if I wait too long, some people have summer classes. This is tough. Why is everyone so busy this weekend?" Felicity lamented.

This was a good time to leave. I wished Felicity luck on her final and checked the time. Around noon, huh? Still a lot of time left to do.… something. I walked down to the parking lot and saw a familiar car. Tess? The Gatekeeper exited her vehicle, carrying a box in addition to her backpack and another bag. She seemed busy so I wouldn’t bother her.

For the past few months, Tess didn’t accompany the heroes on missions. It was an adjustment, not having her expertise and skills to bail us out. Shan, Zhuyu, and the others were experienced but lacked her aura of confidence and reliability. But it definitely made things easier for her not having to monitor our every move.

I arrived home and fell asleep. When I woke up, it was already five. I didn't even use my powers this week! I couldn’t get lazy especially with Shan’s upcoming weapon retrieval.

Sunday Spring Quarter 2016 Finals Week

"Long time no see, Tomo Yuki," Ace greeted me with a smile.

"Do you have bad news for me, Ace?" I offering her the snacks Mom set out for us.

“I'm here as your ally today. I've tracked your progress as a fighter and it’s impressive. Your grimoire is a powerful tool but it’s still not enough," Ace advised.

"I don’t buy it. There’s something you’re hiding from me," I remarked.

"Just here to give you a hand, think you'll appreciate it!" Ace handed me a rolled up piece of paper.

I unfurled the paper, revealing a map, containing red X marks and coordinates.

"What is this?" I asked.

"A little nudge. I've discovered a lot of interesting areas while traveling. Think it’ll be worth your time checking them out with everyone," Ace answered and leaned back in her seat.

"Why are you so focused on us getting stronger?" I stared at her with suspicion.

"Can't help out some old friends? Even if I'm with the Traveler, I want a fair fight. It’s no fun fighting someone weak. I look forward to fighting you," Ace said, licking her lips.

"I still don’t believe you. Seems weird you came all the way just to give me this," I pointed out.

"You're free to believe whatever you want. Take it to Tess and she'll know what to do. Trust me, it is! The temporary truce makes us allies for now so no need for hostilities just yet," Ace said, popping an egg roll into her mouth.

Ace, the strongest heroes, even Kyoi admitted she would lose 99 out of 100 battles against her. Yet, she defected over to the Traveler’s side with no explanation. I read through the records but didn’t discover any relevant information on her powers.

"One more thing, Mirei's friends have been busy. They been snooping around dimensional access points. You should have a chat with Mirei," Ace suggested and stood up.

"Thanks, I guess. Sure be nice if you let me know in advance next time," I said, escorting her to the front door.

"That's no fun! Until next time, Tomo Yuki!" Ace smiled before vanishing.

I met up with the Gatekeeper in the training facility and gave her Ace’s map.

"Ace provided us with valuable information," Tess commented.

"It's not a trap?" I sat down on a bench.

"The marked locations correspond to areas of interest I’ve investigated as well. The probability of her deceiving us are low. However I will contact the Special Investigations Unit and have them verify before sending anyone out there," Tess decided, sliding the map into a protective sleeve.

"Tess, is Ace really with the Traveler or is there something more? Maybe she's going to double-cross the Traveler and us? I don't know her as well as you do so I wanted to hear your opinion," I brought up.

"I am unsure. Ace is a polarizing person, prone to doing whatever she feels like. I believe she is investigating something under the guise of working with the Traveler. But this does not mean we share the same goals or ideals. Anything else on your mind, Tomo?" Tess questioned.

"That’s about it. Oh, she also told me Mirei's associates are active. Should I talk to Mirei?" I answered.

"No. Mirei may not know anything about it. I'll have Lilith’s team investigate. You can enjoy your summer for now. Weapon retrieval will begin on Wednesday," Tess informed me.

"You’re probably going to be busy during the summer, right, Tess?" I asked.

"Correct but if time permits, I will provide assistance if needed. Tomo, you've grown into a strong hero so there’s no need to worry," Tess complimented me.

High praise from the Gatekeeper. Only three more months and it would be one year since Ichizen's death. Not exactly an event to celebrate but it was amazing how much time passed. I returned home and stared out the window lost in my own thoughts.

Wednesday Summer Quarter 2016 Week 0

I arrived at the training facility early. Ksi, Ichaival, and Jacque would join me for Shan’s weapon retrieval. Summer quarter didn’t begin until next week so Jacque was free during the day time.

I spent last Sunday at Felicity’s house and listened to her complaints about how no one liked her. She also ranted about how people were free but avoided her in spite. By that time, Felicity already drained a few beers so she felt like venting her feelings and frustrations. Not a fun way to start my summer vacation.

Downstairs, I saw Tess and Zhuyu. Was he a surprise addition to our group today? A serious expression was on the man’s face, more grave than his usual one. I watched from afar, not wanting to interrupt them, but also curious about their discussion. The zero vector user pulled out a key from his pocket. She nodded and took it from him. Whoa, what was going on? I crept closer to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Are you certain, Long? You don't have to give me this," Tess questioned, no visible emotion on her face.

"Yeah. I’ll be busy for at least a month. You can give it back once I'm ready," Zhuyu replied.

"I will respect your decision," Tess accepted and gave the man an awkward hug.

"Thanks Tess. I can't join you guys but I can still provide support. Mind setting that up for me?" Zhuyu gave a small smile.

"Of course," Tess agreed as she looked in my direction.

Zhuyu followed her eyes and noticed me. His serious expression shifted to one of slight surprise before reverting back.

"What's going on?" I walked towards them.

"Uh, I got something to take care of so I won’t be able to join you guys for awhile. Just a temporary leave of absence. Sorry I can't help you out especially when things are getting good. Tess, do you mind telling everyone else? Good luck!" Zhuyu attempted a smile but failed.

The math major ascended the stairs, swinging his lanyard around his pointer finger. He was definitely putting on a front. Weird, Zhuyu was usually the most dependable member of the heroes next to Tess. Something serious must have happened.

"Is he going to be okay?" I inquired after he left.

"Long will overcome this. I see the look on your face, Tomo, but he’ll explain once he’s ready. Long will serve as a support member starting tomorrow. I'll send instructions on how to establish the link," Tess answered before walking away.

That put a damper on things. Man, wish I showed up later now. Zhuyu didn't look too broken up so hopefully the math major would return with a vengeance.

"What's up, Yuki? Something happen?" Ichaival noticed my troubled expression when he arrived.

"Huh, oh, nothing. You ready for today?" I decided to let Tess notify them about Zhuyu’s status.

"Yeah, feeling pretty good," Ichaival answered, looking refreshed.

"That means you can take care of all the enemies, right?" I joked, placing my leg on a nearby bench and stretching it out.

"Wow, did Shigetzu tell you to say that, Yuki? I'll just do the same as usual. Maybe a little faster than before," Ichaival replied.

"Yo, I'm ready to destroy some plants again," Jacque greeted as he showed up next.

"That'd be nice if it were just plants. Shigetzu's ultimate weapon won't be as easy as mine," Ichaival predicted.

"Yeah, I’m with you on that. Probably will take a few days," I agreed.

"It would be nice not having to stretch it over more than two days. Gives us more time to recover," Jacque remarked.

Ksi finally arrived. I was surprised she wasn't the first one here since she usually showed up early. Shan, a sleepy look on his face, was the last to show up.

"We ready?" Shan yawned, looking around.

"Yeah, we talking to Lyra first?" I asked.

"That's the plan. She's the only one who has any idea about what's going on. Darryl, you better show me how good you are now. My training wasn't for nothing," Shan replied with a grin.

"What training? That was more like punishment," Ichaival disagreed.

"Nah, it's good for you," Shan refuted.

0