46 – The Sage in the… tree?
2.7k 5 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We've been traveling for 3 days straight. Honestly, Nier never ceases to amaze me with her speed and stamina. We followed Rena's nose, although at some times… it wasn't such a good idea. We almost fell off a cliff. And another time we ran into big lizards which I had to flick away. Eventually we reached a thick fog area.

"Rena, are you sure we're going the right way?"

"Yup! I'm positive. The scent became really strong. We're definitely getting close."

We hid the carriage and walked through the fog for a while, following Rena's nose.

As I started to wonder how long we’d been walking, the view in the fog began to change.

What was supposed to be a vast meadow suddenly had tree’s in it. Not only trees, either. There were mushrooms with shapes not well… mushroom-ish. Also there were flowers that emitted dim light and rocks with features that looked like human faces.

As we continued, the fog gradually lifted before disappearing completely.

"We're here."

"Umm… Rena… this is a tree. If you want to take a bathroom break you could…"

"Don't say embarrassing stuff like that!! I'm not a dog! And I'm not joking. The scent really is coming from this tree."

Well… it is an unusually big tree. Actually, it's freaking huge. 

"Sweetie, there seems to be something over there."

Mommy Shera pointed towards a hole in the front of the tree with vines hanging down forming a sort of curtain.

Continuing to follow Rena's nose, we pass through the vines and enter the passageway behind. Inside was basically a wooden cave followed by a bunch of maze-like passageways. Seriously, we would totally get lost in here. How can such a space even exist in a tree. I sure hope Rena can also find the way out, though.

After a while we finally reached a large door. An actual door. I open the door and enter inside.

At first glance, it looks like a courtyard. Stump-like chairs were arranged on the ground where grass and flowers grew, and there was also a wooden podium.

"Girls… what do… eeeh!!? What happened!?"

My shock couldn't be greater. I turn my head around to talk to my girls and Rena, Nier and Shera… they all vanished. As if they disappeared into thin air. Only Lina was left behind.

"Ayaka… it's not possible. I didn't take my eyes off our surroundings. In the blink of an eye…"

"Just where did everyone go? We gotta find them. I will not lose my family. I can still sense their auras so they're around here somewhere."

"Umm… Ayaka. We have another issue. The door is gone."

"What!?"

It's true. The door we came in also disappeared. 

"As if a tree can stop me!"

Lina draws a magic circle and takes out the unique katana that mommy Shera forged for her before facing the wall and stepping forward.

“Fuhaa!” (Lina)

Her sword flashes and in the space of one beath four trails of light can be seen.

Lina stares at the wall in front of her. However…

"I cut but… it instantly regenerated."

"Stand back Lina. Let me have a go at it."

I took a step forward and wrapped my hand with mana. Light was gushing from me. This is the same move I used against the big kitty in the minotaur labyrinth.

"Divine Sword!"

This time a large crack was formed in the tree. The other side of the cut was pure white. There had been a long flight of stairs leading up but now there was nothing. As far as the eye could see was nothing but pure white.

“Magic space?” 

“Looks like it. Someone really wants to keep us in here."

That doesn’t mean you can’t try to get out though. I look at the white space with my eyes and tried bending the magic to my will.

As soon as I did, a crack appeared in the pure white space. A tearing sound could be heard and suddenly a red spear appeared and thrust out.

Lina, who was the closest to it, jumped back, but couldn't react fast enough.

“….What the?” 

Lina stared at the tip of the red spear that was almost touching his nose. I stopped it's advance by grabbing it, but I really had to use a great amount of force to stop it.

"To think such a trap would be placed in here. I probably could manage to break this place by force but… I'm not confident that I can protect you. Or that the other girls will be safe if I push further."

The spear withdrew and the crack I made filled up again. This is quite the predicament.

"Ayaka… what are we going to do?"

"I think we might get an answer to that soon. I feel another energy. And it's quite powerful. And it's headed towards this room. So let's see who is coming to greet us, for now."

The tree shook for a moment. After that a deep voice resounded in the room.

"Who dares disturb me? Naughty children tried to defile my home, so I sent them away. You… you have a weird power floating around you and you look crazy enough to challenge a God. Hahaha!! But it's futile. There's nothing you can do as long as you are in my space. Such a mortal is a rarity and…"

"Excuse me, mister voice, but I'm kind of on a tight schedule. Can you please bring my girls back? We just want to meet the Great Sage and ask a few questions. If we came to the wrong place, we'll leave right now."

"Err… you shouldn't interrupt me in the middle of my speech. The Great Sage you say? You arrived at the right place. Are you thirsty for knowledge? Here, we teach you about the various spirits and their history. Of course, I can teach you magic history, potion magic and we can revise demonology together."

"That sounds like a school. Not interested. Can you bring my girls back for starters?"

"An airhead cow, an immature dog and a rather weird horse have no place here. Little girl, they will only hinder you in your path to knowledge."

"I'm afraid I'll have to hurt you if you don't do what I say."

The voice became thicker.

"Hou!? Are you one of those that put brawn above brain? If you want them back, you'll have to earn them."

"Hmm… hey, if you're the Great Sage, then that means you can answer any question, right? If I ask you something you can't answer, will you hear me out and do what I say?"

"Amusing. There is no way an inferior brain can come up with a question that I can't answer. Very well. If by any chance you manage to make me struggle, I will be willing to listen to you."

Fufufu. That's what I was waiting for.

"Ayaka, you have… a wicked smile on you. Are you planning something…?"

"Don't worry, Lina. I know exactly what to do."

This guy… is going to taste the power of… loli logic!!

70