Studying and some truths…
22 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co.


If Kagome had thought the incident with Inuyasha had made a lick of difference to the situation between the duo, she was sorely wrong. Still, the hanyō refused to speak with the teen and was now glaring whenever they were in the same space. It was utterly ridiculous, but what could she do, especially with finals just around the corner. Her mind needed to be focused on passing the upcoming tests, then it was worrying over something out of her hands.

Tonight, she pushed away from the thought of her troubling friendship, hoping to get some studying done. Kagome sitting cross-legged on Sango's bed, flicked through the textbook in hand, trying her best to retain all of the information. She didn't want to be an utter embarrassment to herself or her family.

Suddenly, the academic text dropped to the soft blanket when Sango fiercely shouted, jumping over the pile of books to grab the other teen's wrist. "Hey!" The brunette exclaimed, wrenching her friend's hand closer, eagerly studying the new jewelry. "When did you get that?" She inquisitively asked, staring at it some more before letting go.

Kagome raised it, so she could see the moonstone shift prettily. "About a week ago. Sesshōmaru gave it to me." Happiness radiated off the young mother as she remembered the special moment.

At the sight of her best friend glowing profusely with joy, Sango's lips curled upward and eyed the delicate ring once more. "It's very pretty," she admitted aloud.

"It is." Kagome agreed while another smile bloomed on her heart-shaped face.

Clearing her throat to capture the dreamy looking teen's attention, the brunette's curious gaze promptly shifted from the sparkling adornment. "Not that I don't agree with your boyfriend giving you jewelry because that is awesome." Dark brows rising high in question as she continued thoughtfully, "I can't help but notice you have it on the ring finger of your left hand. Was there a specific reason for that?"

"Yeah," Kagome said, suddenly nervous to see how her friend would react to the news of their engagement. "He asked me to be his mate." Teeth digging into her bottom lip as she impatiently waited for her best friend to respond.

"Wow." Sango lightly breathed forehead furrowing and concern coloring her tone. "You just reconnected and haven't been going out for that long. Don't you think you might be rushing this?"

Understanding the mild alarm, the young mother knew that to the outside world that it might seem like they were rushing. She had spoken extensively with her dear mother about the same thing. "I know it seems like we are, but we're not. We've decided to take it slow and not mate until I'm out of school."

"What do his parents think?" asked the curious teen picking up a pen and twisting it between nimble fingers as she silently observed her friend.

The eagle-eyed stare made Kagome squirm before lightly shrugging. "They don't know about our relationship or future mating. Sesshōmaru doesn't want them to. He says it is none of their business and that they would only interfere." She honestly admitted biting back a sigh when the brunette's features twisted into one of disproval.

"Doesn't that bother you?" Sango demanded, a hand moving to her hip. "He is hiding your relationship!"

"It is not hiding since everyone at school, and my home knows." The other woman said with another shrug. Even if it had bothered her, she realized that Sesshōmaru had his reasons for not involving his family. After all, he knew them best. Plus, maybe it was better not to have too many people butting into their business. It was bad enough his brother knew, and he was being the world's largest pain in the ass.

Sango's stiff form relaxed some, but the frown remained as she carried on with her inquiry. "Aren't you guys afraid that Inuyasha will say something to them?"

Kagome recalled the conversation she had with Sesshōmaru at the gaming center and how she had the same worries. "According to Sesshōmaru, he hasn't mentioned a single word to their parents about us. He had thought Inuyasha would have run to their father by now, but he hasn't."

"Weird." Mused the brunette tossing the pen on the bed.

"I know. It's definitely not like Inuyasha."

"No, it's not. I wonder why he hasn't?" Sango agreed, cocking her head in contemplation.

The teen mom wasn't positive on the half-demon's motives though her boyfriend's theory seemed to be the most reasonable. She let her friend know Sesshōmaru's thoughts on the matter. "Sesshōmaru believes that Inuyasha is too afraid of how their father is going to react when he finds out about his awful behavior."

A snort resounded from Sango while she ran a hand through her chocolate mane and agreed wholeheartedly. "Yeah, he has been a massive asshole."

"That is an understatement of the year." Snarked Kagome drily, thinking of the distasteful behavior of their hanyō friend.

Knowing the whole Inuyasha issue was a touchy subject, the taller teen shifted the focus to something else. "Is your mother okay with this?" asked Sango, brows rising high in question while the petite woman bobbed her raven head to and fro.

If it hadn't been for her mother adoring Sesshōmaru, Kagome was sure she wouldn't have been so agreeable. Thank the gods that the elder Higurashi was thrilled that the striking yōkai would be joining their family. "Yes, and she thinks it's sensible to wait until my graduation," she said with a gentle smile and continued to divulge the plans her and Sesshōmaru had come up with for the months ahead. "Plus, Sesshōmaru will be a year into university by then and living outside of the family homestead, so we'll have a place of our own by the time that we mate."

Sango seemed surprised and impressed by the well thought out proposal. "Wow. You've thought this through then." Whatever reservations the teen might have had about her friend and her speeding relationship damped some. Still, she couldn't shake them completely away but would sit in the weeds and wait to see if anything happened. If her bestie needed her, she would put her slaying ancestry into action and kick the yōkai's ass.

"I have." agreed Kagome, a dazed look coming over her exotic features as she thought of the tall and dominating inuyōkai who wiggled back into her heart and life. "I love him," she candidly confessed. "and he loves me. We want this to work."

Sango leaned over the pile of books and reached for her hand, squeezing it. "I'm happy for you." She said before letting go and sitting back against the pillows.

"Thanks," retorted Kagome with a teary smile. "Will you not mention it to the others? We just want to wait to let everyone know. Plus, with the whole Inuyasha situation, I don't think it would go over too well right now." She added, knowing it was a lot to ask but didn't want to deal with another of Inuyasha's outbursts. It would just taint the happiness of the special moment, and that was the last thing that she wanted.

Her friend gently smiled before she spoke. "Of course." Changing the subject once again, Sango sat up with a determined glint in her brown eyes. "Okay, let's get some studying done."

"Ugh…" Kagome dramatically groaned before glaring at the book in front of her. "Do we have too?"

An amused snort escaped the brown-haired woman while ignoring the exaggerated cries. "You know we do. Now, what subject were you having trouble with?"

Grumbling under her breath, Kagome grudgingly picked up the workbook and waved it in the air. "Math and It is the bane of my existence."

"You say that with every subject." Quipped Sango drily and quickly snagged the book from her hold.

Hands still wiggling about as the teen wailed theatrically. "That's because it's true."

"Well, it's a good thing you have me as your best friend." The other woman remarked as she flipped through the textbook before tossing it lightly back onto her lap. "Come on and show me what you're not understanding, and I'll see if I can help."

Sighing, Kagome picked it up and slowly turned to the pages. "Many have tried." She retorted solemnly.

"Yeah, but none were me, so quit your whining and show me," Sango demanded, knowing that her friend was trying to stall as long as possible.

"You're going to regret this." Snarked the young mother, finally flipping to the page she had been working on.

"We'll see." Remarked the brunette, who then motioned at the open book demanding once more. "Now show me."

"Fine." She huffed and started to explain what she wasn't getting.

By the time that she and Sango were done studying, it was dark out, and she was worn out both mentally and physically. Stumbling into the house, she gently kicked off her shoes and set her bookbag on the bench then headed into the house to find Sesshōmaru and Malakai.

An enormous smile bloomed when she stepped nimbly into the family room and spotted her boyfriend nestled on the plush couch, reading one of his textbooks. "Hey." She softly said, causing him to glance up from the hardcover as she came closer to sit next to him. "Is mama back yet?"

The book snapped shut while Sesshōmaru shook his head and turned his full attention to Kagome. "No, but we were fine."

Even though this wasn't the first time he had gone solo, she still wondered if it had gone smoothly. Toddlers could be quite unpredictable. "You didn't have any problems?"

"None at all. He is fed, washed, and in bed." He said, pitching the book on the coffee table. He then leaned back against the plump cushions, gracefully sliding an arm behind his girlfriend.

"Were you able to get something to eat?" Kagome asked legs curling underneath her as she snuggled into his hold.

Sesshōmaru leaned in and kiss her temple before speaking. "Yes. Your mother left everything for us." He flipped the question back at her. "Have you eaten?"

Yes, delicious food had been consumed. Grammy Kaede wouldn't have had it any other way. The elder woman naturally thought Kagome was far too thin and made certain she had her fill whenever the teen was around. "Yeah, I ate. Sango's grandmother made sure of it."

"Good. How was studying?" The yōkai asked, drawing her small body closer and lightly kissing her dark locks yet again.

Her plump cheeks puffed before fiercely blowing out a deep sigh and dainty nose scrunched up. "It was uninteresting and not fun. I'd rather have stayed home with you two." Kagome replied, fiddling with his loosened tie.

"I've seen your prior tests, and you need to study." He jested, earning him a light whack on the chest with the palm of her small hand.

"Hey! Are you calling me stupid!" She cried while throwing her leg over his lap and glaring at him in mock hurt.

"No, that is Inuyasha." Sesshōmaru quipped, chuckling at his retort before grabbing onto her hips and pulling her to him. His golden eyes twinkled as he spoke in a hushed tone. "You are just easily distracted."

"I am not!" squealed Kagome slapping his broad chest once more.

The glint in his gaze lingered when his silver brows disappeared into his bangs, and his lips twitched in amusement. "Remember a few nights ago when we were working on our history project."

"Yeah. What about it?" She asked, cocking her head to the side and peering over at him with fluttering eyes.

The yōkai chuckled at the innocent expression, not fooled one bit by the deliberate act. "Do you remember why we did not finish it that night?" He pushed, aware that she knew exactly what he was referring to.

Oh, and she did all right. Color slowly rose amongst the vastness of her creamy chest and neck, reaching the apples of her cheeks. Kagome angled her rosy face so that her dark bangs blocked his view and mumbled lowly. "We didn't finish because we ended up doing something else."

"You mean you attacked my person and wooed me with your womanly wiles." Sesshōmaru scoffed, causing Kagome's head to fly up and cry in outrage. "I did no such thing!"

"What do you call crawling onto my lap and peppering me with kisses?" He said, smiling as her face flushed a brighter red. The amused yōkai was clearly enjoying watching his girlfriend squirm.

"Having fun…" remarked the flushed teen with a shoulder shrug.

Laughing heartily, Sesshōmaru's body shook as he agreed. "It was indeed fun."

A sly smile crept upon her features, and she pointed out that he had not been complaining that night. By the way he had responded, the large yōkai had enjoyed every bit of their make-out session. "See you like my kisses." She said, now reaching out to play with his tie yet again.

His golden eyes twinkled mischievously at the same time as he inched closer. "That I do. Now let me show you how much." He swooped in quickly, causing the small female to squeal happily while he started to kiss her senseless.


Wow. I was not planning to take this long to update but life has a crazy way of interrupting things. With having to stay in the house- though that is not a problem for the big old introvert here- the new puppy - who has gotten so big and chews on everything. It's like having a toddler back in the house.- My ma breaking her bloody hip- that one was a trip and hopefully, we will not have to do that again.- My teenager breaking on and off with her bf - I have forgotten how extreme teenagers can be. Seriously, it is like the end of the world then it's like nothing freaking happened. After all of that, I just couldn't concentrate on writing. It seems to have calmed down and I was able to get back into the groove of things.

The chapter is short but I ended up liking how it turned out. The next chapter is the start of summer break for the duo. I am so excited to begin fleshing out that chapter.

I hope everyone is staying safe.

 

1