One last thing before we go home…
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After staying and surveying the skyline for some time, the couple eventually headed back to the hotel, where they watched several movies before falling asleep. Sunday left the trio, getting up to have a quick breakfast before packing their things to go home. They were out of the hotel doors and in the car by eleven.

Pulling out of the parking lot, Kagome turned to the inuyōkai driving. "Should we stop and grab something for lunch?" She asked thoughtfully, wondering if it would be best to purchase something now since they would still be on the road when dinner came around. "Maybe we can stop at a park or the beach to eat on the way home?" Suggested the teen waiting to see if the demon would say yay or nay to the spontaneous idea.

To her utter surprise, Sesshōmaru agreed quite easily as he weaved in and out of the local traffic. "That sounds fine," He remarked, not bothering to shift his gaze from the bustling street.

'Excellent! Now, where should we stop?' She pondered, trying to remember if there were any convenience stores near the exit of town. Didn't she see a 7-Eleven when they arrived in the city? "I thought I saw a 7-Eleven when we came into Mito," Kagome mentioned while watching the storefronts fly by.

"There is. We can stop on our way out." He acknowledged, his golden eyes flicking to her distracted form then back to the road as he carried on. "With luck, it won't be as crowded as the ones in the city, so we will be in and out saving on traveling time."

"Great," chirped Kagome happily and continued to survey the passing scenery.

When they made it to the convenience store, the couple stood in front of the cooler gazing through their options. "So, what do you want?" asked the curious female, scanning the racks for something for herself.

Picking a package off one of the shelves, Sesshōmaru waved it gently in her direction. "I'll have the Seafood Futomaki-zushi." He set it in the basket and waited for her to choose something.

"Ooh, that looks good." Kagome eyed the colorful sushi rolls in consideration then moved to the case again. "Hm…I think I'll get the Seaweed and Bonito Flakes Bento and an Onigiri. Kai Kai can share it with me." She deposited the bento, and the fish-filled rice ball next to the sushi rolls then strolled over to the drinks.

A beverage in hand, the yōkai turned to the tiny woman. "What would you like to drink?" He asked before placing his choice into the carrier.

"Banana Soy milk for Malakai and a Royal Milk Tea for me, please." She requested with a smile.

Nodding affirmatively, Sesshōmaru grabbed the preferred drinks and set them amongst the other items as the couple made their way to the checkout.

Walking down one of the aisles, Kagome spied the yōkai tossing a package into the carrier. "What do you have there?" inquired the teen, curiously stepping closer.

"Hojicha Crunchy Chocolate." He said with a shrug of his broad shoulders.

Hojicha Crunchy Chocolate? Her brows disappeared into her dark bangs. This was beyond strange. Sesshōmaru confessed to hating chocolate, so why would he want to buy any. "You don't even like chocolate." She pointed out, confusion clear in her tone.

"I don't," He admitted before continuing softly. "but you do."

The chocolates were for her. For someone with a cold demeanor and a colder reputation, he sure was a romantic at heart. "Aww. You can be so sweet," She cooed at him as they approached the counter.

"Hn." Sesshōmaru sniffed, emitting that sound of evident annoyance before quipping dryly. "Do not let this go to your head, and if you tell others, I will vehemently deny it."

She tsked loudly, snarking sarcastically with a roll of her bright eyes. "You wouldn't want anyone thinking you were thawing."

"Exactly." He retorted flashing her a cheeky grin then turning his attention to the cashier.

Kagome bounced Malakai on her hip and whispered to him. "Look Kai Kai, daddy thinks he's funny." The toddler glanced at his father than to his mother giggling with a nod.

Sesshōmaru grabbed the bags from the employee and turned to the laughing duo scoffing as he started for the door. "I've been told I have a wonderful sense of humor."

A snort escaped as she quickly followed the man out of the store. "By who. I'm the only person you actually talk to." Cracked the teen switching the young child to the other hip.

"I talk to plenty of people." Declared the yōkai as he unlocked the car.

Opening the back door, Kagome placed Malakai into the car seat, buckling him up as she glanced at the man on the other side. "No, you snark at people, and most are too afraid to even approach."

He didn't comment further as they moved from the back to the front. It wasn't until they were pulling out of the parking space that he continued soberly. "I talk to Inuyasha."

What the hell was he yammering about? The thing he and Inuyasha did was most definitely not talking. Most of the time, they couldn't even be in the same room for longer than a few minutes. "Arguing does not count as talking to someone." Remarked the woman, her brows disappearing from view.

Like the proud yōkai that he is, Sesshōmaru sniffed haughtily. "In our language, it does."

Kagome wasn't sure if he were serious or not but couldn't stop the sarcasm that rolled off her tongue. "Testosterone filled asshole does not count as a language either." She commented dryly.

"Hn," Was all he said before returning his attention to the road.

Instead of the sound irritating her this time, it made her rather tickled that all he could get out was that damn noise. Hiding her pleased smile by turning her focus back to the side window, Kagome noticed that they missed the exit to Tokyo.

The satisfied grin curled under as her forehead crinkled in confusion. "This isn't the way we came." She noted aloud and twisted back to eye the silent yōkai.

"It is not." He agreed, keeping his eyes on the road as he carried on. " We are going to hit Hasaki Beach to have some lunch."

Hasaki Beach was a couple of hours from Mito and way off course from their journey home. Plus, it would take a few hours to get Tokyo from there. They would be spending most of the day away. Didn't he have things he needed to do instead of hanging out with them? "That's almost a two-hour drive just to the beach, and that doesn't include the two hours from Hasaki to home. Are you sure you want to go out of the way? We don't want to keep you busy should you have something that you need to do."

His clawed hand left the steering wheel and waved off her questions. "It is fine." Sesshōmaru commented softly.

She could not stop the self-doubt that started to creep in. "As long as you're sure," whispered Kagome uncertainly, still not sure if the yōkai was saying that just to make her feel better and he was missing out on something. Or if he wasn't busy and genuinely wanted to hang out with them more than they had both intended.

"I am." Assured the Inu before quickly changing the subject. "Now, what episode of that podcast did we leave off on?"

The mention of the show had Kagome smiling, pleased that he had enjoyed the Myths and Legends podcast after all. "We were starting episode four when we pulled into the hotel." She said, connecting her phone to the car, and starting up the episode.

"Ah yes, Mount Osore - Sai no Kawara." He hummed in approval while turning up the volume slightly, so they could hear it over the babbling of their toddler and the animated series playing in the background.

When the trio finally pulled into the beach parking lot, Kagome flicked her curious gaze to the occupied inuyōkai and asked him a question. "Do you have a blanket by chance?" They needed to sit on something, or there was a chance that sand would find its way in places that it should not go.

"In the trunk is one I believe," He said, stuffing his keys in his pants pocket, and motioning with his head at the back. "You gather the pup, and I will get the bags and the blanket."

"Will do." The teen agreed before exiting the car and making her way to the backseat to release the kid.

Joyously squealing when his mother hauled him from the vehicle, Malakai clapped excitedly then started to survey his surroundings with wide inquisitive eyes.

Gently swaying side to side, Kagome spied the silver-headed yōkai grabbing a large grey woven blanket and slamming the trunk shut. He then motioned with his bag filled hand in the direction of the beach then started to walk away from the car. She quickly followed the man jogging slightly to catch up as they made their way down a worn beaten path.

Drawing closer to the shore, Kagome was glad that they had dressed for the cooler temperatures near the water. Strolling along the coastline, the couple noticed very few people while they found a spot to spread the blanket to sit down and eat.

Taking in a lungful of the briny air, she set the wiggling toddler on his feet and watched as he started to toddle towards the water, causing his father to reach out and redirect his movements.

Laughing amusingly at the duo, Kagome sat on the coverlet and began to sift through the bags. "Kai Kai, look what Mommy has." She called to the active hanyō, gently waving the onigiri in the cool air to entice him in. Eyes brightening at the sight of food, he scrambled towards the blanket as she unwrapped the rice ball. Malakai hungrily snatched the onigiri and instantly started to munch on it while plopping next to his father.

Smiling with a mouthful of food, the hungry child grabbed the colored milk box with his free hand sipping on the beverage between bites.

Kagome passed Sesshōmaru his Seafood Futomaki-zushi then went to open her own meal. The rice and okaka tasted good, and the fried chicken, white fish, and chikuwa still had a slight crisp despite cooling. Overall it was a great meal from a 7-eleven, and Kagome would get again. "This is quite good." She said, pointing at the dish with her chopsticks.

Sesshōmaru eyed the sushi roll between his chopsticks then shrugged. "For convenience food, it is adequate."

"Well, you do have high standards." Teased the teen before taking a swig of her milk tea.

A smirk of amusement marred his sharp features as he responded to her light banter. "That I do."

The small family sat there for some time eating while watching the salty water lapped at the sandy shore. Malakai finished with the rice ball and was now sitting in the sand rooting around the coarse grains.

Suddenly he stood up and toddled to his mother with a toothy grin. "What did you find, Love?" Kagome asked, outstretching her hand, so he could drop it within her palm. A shell landed against her tan skin, causing her to smile brightly at the small child. "Is that a shell?" She eagerly questioned.

"Swell." He repeated bouncing on the balls of his feet, clearly excited with his find.

"Is it for me?" She asked, fingers curling carefully around the spiky shell.

His dimples deepened, and a chubby hand lightly reached out to touch the rounded spines peeking between her digits. "Mama." The small yōkai crowed gently.

Ruffling his dark curls, Kagome cooed at the cheerful toddler. "Can you find one for daddy too?" She spied the gleaming row of baby teeth flash her way before he rhythmically swayed his raven locks back and forth.

"Hai." Malakai agreed and sped off towards the direction of the water.

"Pup come away from there!" Sesshōmaru's sharp tone cut over the breaking waves, suddenly stopping the young yōkai. The toddler stomped his little feet but didn't complain as his shoulders slumped, and he twisted around to come back to his previous spot. His lip protruded while he plopped down and began to dig quietly in the sand.

A few minutes of burrowing in the damp grains, Malakai squealed and shot up scurrying to his father. "Dada. Look." He cried excitably, exposing his treasure to the waiting male.

"What does he have?" inquired the curious teen, not being able to see through the happy child.

Sesshōmaru carefully plucked the item from his son and held it up to show her. "It would appear to be sea glass." The light green pebble sparked in the dazzling rays as the yōkai rotated it.

Satisfied that his father liked the pretty babble, Malakai turned to his mother bouncing from side to side. "Mama." He said before twisting back to the senior demon to speak. "Dada." Glancing between the couple, he motioned with his little hand. "Come." He ordered both parents patiently waiting for them to comply.

"Please." Growled the older man promptly correcting the rude behavior and ignoring the demand.

Stilling, Malakai bared his neck and softly responded to the command. "Pwease." Whispered the remorseful toddler, his bright eyes bouncing from mother to father.

Nodding in approval, Sesshōmaru got to his feet, reaching out to help Kagome as he spoke. "What did you want to show us, Pup?"

"Walk." The young yōkai revealed, pointing down the empty beach and smiling widely.

Peering at the happy child with raised brows, the teen mom confirmed what he wanted them to do. "You want to go for a walk?"

His little head bobbled with excitement. "Uh-huh," eagerly responded the tot as he started to fidget in place.

Sesshōmaru snorted at the pup's impatience then smirked at Kagome, inclining his head in the direction their son had pointed. "Okay, baby." She said, ruffling his black crown before watching the little yōkai toddle ahead as they slowly followed.

While trekking along the shoreline, Malakai would periodically stop to pick up a babble and jam it into his hoodie pouch. Kagome laughed at the action glancing at the bigger Inu who was chuckling as well. His eyes flicked to her face and flashed her that heart-melting smile. The thumping of her heart doubled, and she felt the rush of blood bloom on the apples of her cheeks. His smile widened before moving back to their son. She jumped in surprise when his larger hand unexpectedly wove his fingers loosely between hers. Kagome's eyes dropped to their linked hands, noting the flush of color slowly trailed down her décolletage. 'One day at a time.' She silently reminded herself before flicking her gaze back to the excitable child and tightening her grasp on his hand.

By the time the tiny family decided to leave, a considerable collection of shells and sea glass were added to a jar that the older demon had in his trunk. On top of that, they had one exhausted inuyōkai pup who adamantly refused to sleep on the way home. Naturally, it had taken them another two hours to get to Tokyo but only a few minutes to unload the bags.

Sesshōmaru set the luggage on bench then turned his attention to the quiet teen and overtired toddler.

"Would you like to stay for supper?" Kagome politely asked while switching the fussy child to the other hip. She didn't want to hog all his Sunday, but it seemed too impolite not ask. It most definitely had nothing to do with her having a great time this weekend and not wanting their time to end.

A sigh escaped the large yōkai before he spoke, his tone laced with regret. "I would, but I must make an appearance at the homestead." Sesshōmaru sneered at the word homestead, his prominent features twisting in displeasure as he continued. "My father deems it necessary to have Sunday dinners."

"Oh. I see." She couldn't help the evident disappointment that started to well up and wasn't sure if she should be bothered by the fact or not. "Maybe next time?" Kagome tentatively offered.

Seamlessly stepping closer, Sesshōmaru reached up to carefully tuck some loose strands behind her ear, his fierce gaze and tone softened. "Of course." He observed her face flood with color once more than hastily hid it amongst Malakai's silky curls. The older yōkai triumphantly smirked at the sight of the blush but didn't pursue it further as he shifted his focus to his son. Reaching out, he gently caressed the child's back in soothing circles before letting him know he was leaving. "Pup, I must go."

"No. Stay!" demanded the tired yōkai, his little lip wobbled, and he tilted his head to the side, begging the senior demon. "Pwease."

Kagome's inquisitive eyes flicked to Sesshōmaru and could see that the inuyōkai was conflicted as to what to do or say. They were also headed towards tantrum territory and would be best if she intervened to help avoid a blowout. "Kai Kai." She delicately called to the child drawing his watery attention. "Dada has to go right now," whispered the teen mom, trying to reason with the upset and overtired tot. She prayed it would work, and he would let his father go in peace.

"No!" cried the young Inu hysterically, tears running down his plump face. "Stay!" He fiercely demanded again, this time reaching out for his father.

The weeping seemed to get worse, and the worried woman was having a hard time maintaining a secure hold on him. Kagome tried once more to persuade the emotional toddler. "Dada can't stay tonight, love. Next time he will, though," She tossed out a comprise to see if that would appease the brewing storm.

"No!" Malakai stubbornly cried, refusing to see any reason, and dodging the hand that tried to stroke his soft locks. Shoving it away, he turned his attention back to his father and pleaded. "Dada. Stay. Us."

A frown marred the larger yōkai's notable features while his light brows dipped low, and his words trailed off. "Pup..." He glanced thoughtfully at the door then to the pup as if he were debating with something.

The sobbing tot continued to paw towards the man as his doe eyes filled with more tears. "Stay," Implored the crying boy. "Dada. Pwease."

Kagome watched as an undefined emotion flitted through the older demon's golden eyes, and he moved away from the duo. Sesshōmaru pensively glanced at the door one last time before toeing out of his shoes and shrugging off his coat. He draped the jacket on a wooden hook then quickly came back to the pair extending his hands out for the weeping yōkai. "Come here, little one." cooed the larger demon. His son jumped into his arms and nuzzled the crook of his neck, still lightly whimpering. A soothing growl echoed off the walls as the older male gently rubbed the toddler's back, trying to stem the tears.

Staring at the demon in shock, Kagome couldn't believe he wasn't leaving. "Sesshōmaru…" said the teen in disbelief. "what are you doing?" She naturally asked the obvious and watched as his golden eyes drift to her while he continued to sooth the overtired child.

"Staying." He whispered as if missing mandatory dinner was nothing of consequence.

Wouldn't he get in trouble for bailing? Didn't he already have a shaky relationship with his father? She didn't want to cause him problems at home. "What about your family dinner?" inquired the teen, her hands wringing together nervously.

He shrugged, moving closer to her anxious form. "They will survive without me." He promptly declared before looking slightly nervous himself. It appeared as if he were contemplating something once again. Sesshōmaru's golden eyes bounced from the woman in front of him to the sniffling child in his arms. He scratched at the back of his neck with a free hand, then apprehensively cleared his throat until finally striking up the courage to voice what was on his mind. "My pack is far more important." He admitted refusing to break eye contact with the wide-eyed woman nibbling on her bottom lip.

'His pack.' She mused silently, her heart rate thumping wildly. Releasing her reddened lip, she couldn't stop the words that rushed forth. "We're your pack?" the innocent question coming out more like a cautious whisper. How was that possible? Wasn't his pack with his father and family? Did that mean he was splitting from them? If so, then how would that affect things at home because from what she knew there could only be one alpha. So many questions swirled around in that brain of hers and caused the anxious feeling to intensify.

His clawed hand came up and tenderly stroked her cheek. "Yes. Does that bother you?" He asked, eyeing her curiously.

It should, but the truth of the matter was it didn't, and his gentle touch alone was soothing the uneasy feeling caused by her troubling thoughts. She eagerly leaned into his palm and answered candidly. "No."

"Good." He said pleasure coloring his tone. Leaning in, Sesshōmaru lightly grazed her lips before pulling away. "Now let go find your mother to let her know that I will be staying." The yōkai announced flashing that heart tripping grin while turning away to start for the kitchen.

At the sight of that damn smile, Kagome had to will her racing heart to intentionally slow and force down the rosy blush that wanted to bloom across her cheeks. Touching her tingling lips, the teen silently kept reminding herself of what they had promised one another as she followed the demon farther into the house. 'One day at a time.' thought Kagome even when she realized, that she without a doubt was screwed.

 

1