Keeping Secrets Maybe Hazardous To Your Relationship
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co.


 

About a month later, the couple was still trying to figure out a balance with their undefined relationship, friends, and parenthood. Only three people knew about what was going on between them; Her mother, brother, and Sango. All three were surprisingly supportive of the decision to take it one day at a time and let things happen.

As the weeks progressed, Kagome had to admit it was difficult to keep their repairing relationship a secret from her other friends, especially Inuyasha. It wasn't like she wanted to, but what was she supposed to tell them when they weren't dating in the traditional sense. She was positive her friends had noticed her spending the majority of time with the inuyōkai and that something was going on between them. Not that her friends mentioned anything. Kagome was unsure if that was for her sake or so their hanyō friend didn't find out. Thankfully for all of them, Inuyasha was ignorant of what was happening, although he was beginning to act stranger than usual. The yōkai was sticking closer, never leaving her alone, and finding ways to touch her. The teen had to admit that it was baffling and a tad bit uncomfortable.

Sesshōmaru had told her the reason for Inuyasha's strange behavior was because he felt threatened by the older inuyōkai. This threatening feeling was causing the half-demon's instincts to kick in and become more territorial. It was also the reason he was trying to claim her as his own.

The thought of Inuyasha wanting her in a less than platonic way was simply ridiculous. She and hanyō had known each other since grade school, and he had never shown any kind of interest.

When the teen had told the yokai her thoughts on the matter, he had responded with that she was oblivious to the actions of the half-demon. She had denied the claim and informed him that Inu was just trying to protect her because they were friends. The Inuyōkai vehemently disagreed, and for the first time in a long while, the couple had ended up in a fight. One of many because of her hanyou friend.

Now at home, Kagome was chopping up some vegetables as her mind wandered to the big argument with Sesshōmaru just today.

It had been shortly after lunch that had found Kagome and Sesshōmaru in a vacant classroom. It appeared to have been unused in quite some time since it was cluttered with storage and dust. Kagome sat on a large desktop while the tall inuyōkai paced in front of her. "Now do you see what I mean, Woman!" He paused to glare in her direction, raking some fingers through his silver mane. "The hanyō's behavior is getting bolder and needs to be nipped before it ends badly," insisted Sesshōmaru resuming his pacing.

She knew he was talking about the incident at lunch, where Inuyasha had hauled her into his lap. Her half-demon friend was only messing around, but Sesshōmaru clearly perceive it differently. "Maru, Inu was just goofing. It had nothing to do with what you are thinking." Inuyasha had to be messing with her because they were just friends and nothing more.

Slowly stepping closer, he growled at her naïve words. "Your friendship with the whelp is blinding you! What he did at lunch was to tell all the males in the room that you were his, and you did not pull away to dissuade him from his claim."

She did not pull away? Hell if she didn't. She had valiantly tried, but her hanyō friend had locked his grip tightly around her waist. There had been no way to move. "I tried getting away, but he would not let me go." Replied Kagome hopping nimbly off the desk and cautiously approached the agitated demon.

Sesshōmaru snorted in disbelief and dryly quipped. "You appeared to be rather cozy in his lap."

Cozy? Gods, she had been far from comfortable more like uneasy and a tad bit embarrassed. "I was far from cozy, dammit!" She cried, extending her hands high in the air then dropped them to her hips.

"That is not how it appeared," proclaimed the yōkai while taking a few steps so that he was only a few paces from her.

Now glaring up at the man, her nostrils flared as she yelled in frustration. "I don't care how it appeared. I did not want to be in his lap!"

"Then why have you not told him about us. It would cease his claims." Sesshōmaru implored, carefully scanning her features.

Why hadn't she wanted to tell the half-demon? The truth of the matter was she didn't want to deal with Inuyasha because he would no doubt freak out. When she said nothing, his angry tone turned icy. "I see."

What did he see? He didn't even wait for her to respond to his question. "You see what?" asked Kagome with raised brows.

"Your silence speaks volumes." Sesshōmaru said, tone colder as his body stiffened.

Okay, she obviously missed something. "What the hell does that mean?" screeched the teen, finding herself growing frustrated with the male. What was it that he thought he saw?

"You are conflicted on who to choose."

"What?!" Where the hell did he get that from? She did not want her hanyō friend even if he were the last male on earth. "I don't want Inuyasha." Kagome spat out, horrified at the suggestion.

Sesshōmaru's sharp features pinched together and shook his head as if he did not believe her words. "Yet you do not discourage his advances."

"I definitely don't encourage any advances he might have." The teen retorted huffing in vexation.

"No," he agreed, "but you do not deter them either."

"Ugh!" She exclaimed, tossing up her hands once more. She and Inuyasha were just friends. Nothing more and nothing less. "What do you want me to say, Sesshōmaru?!"

"Nothing. You clearly do not understand!" the yōkai bellowed, seeming to lose his cool.

Again, what was she missing? "Understand what?!" Kagome pleaded with the angry male.

"You are basically telling me that the half-breed's claim is held in higher regard than my own!" He yelled once more, frustrated that she still didn't comprehend what she had been doing.

Wait! That was not what she had intended at all. "What?! No, that's not what I meant!"

"You continue to prove otherwise." He countered back forcefully. Before she could refute his accusations, the yōkai stormed out of the room, leaving a confused and distress Kagome gaping at the door.

A hand on her shoulder jolted her out of her thoughts, and she looked over at the older woman standing off to the side.

Worry was evident in her mother's gaze as she softly spoke, "Kagome dear, are you okay?"

Setting down the knife, Kagome sadly shook her head. "No." Her eyes dropped to the cutting board and frowned. "Sesshōmaru and I had a fight." She admitted forlornly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" asked the older woman gently.

Picking back up the knife, the cheerless teen resumed cutting up the vegetables. "Not really," sadly muttered Kagome while rapidly blinking to stem the tears that wanted to come. What was there to talk about? The guy she was sort of seeing was angry because he thought she was choosing his brother. It was one big miscommunication. She wished he would have given her a chance to explain. The need to repair the rift was evident if only she knew how to go about doing it. Should she drop him a text or give him a call? Should she leave it be for the night and try later when everything had cooled? Kagome gnawed on her lips lost in her troubled thoughts.

Patting the shoulder lightly and not pressing the matter further, her mother tried to reassure the teen encouragingly. "I'm sure you two will work it out."

Snapping out of her thoughts, she shook her head sadly. "I wish it were that simple." Mumbled the young woman, voice wavering with her unsteady emotions as she continued to flutter her lashes.

Yuna squeezed the shoulder in hand and whispered wisely, "It's always simple, love. We just tend to make it much more complicated."

"I guess." She whispered, looking up when the doorbell echoed loudly, interrupting the conversation between mother and daughter.

Her mother made her way to the bubbling pot as she spoke. "Why don't you go get that, sweetheart?" The woman waved a wooden spoon towards the door.

"Sure." She said, putting down the knife and missing the knowing smile her mother had sent her way while heading out of the kitchen.

Kagome hurried down the hall as the doorbell rang again. 'Who could this be?' she thought while finally coming to the door; it wasn't like they were expecting anyone, not that she knew anyway. Unless Sōta forgot his key but that is unlikely since they had just left only a couple of minutes ago. She pulled it open and peered up at the yōkai standing nervously outside the house.

Both teens stared at one another in silence for some time before the inuyōkai broke the stillness. "Hey." He said, his golden gaze regarding her carefully.

"Hey." Whispered Kagome, manicured hands twisting together as she watched him anxiously. What was he doing here? Did he decide he didn't want to be with her after all? It was hard to tell with the poker face of his.

Swallowing roughly, Sesshōmaru dragged some fingers through his silky strands then motioned with his chin. "Can I come in and talk?"

The teen mom couldn't prevent the anxious feeling at the sound of his words and tentatively agreed with his request. "Yeah." She uttered before stepping aside to let him in. He slipped off his jacket and shoes as she carried on while closing the door behind them. "Why don't go into the family room?"

Sesshōmaru nodded quietly, then followed Kagome down the hall to the family room. Looking around, he inquired about their son. "Where is Malakai?"

"He is with my brother. They ran to the market for mama." Revealed Kagome stepping into the room and heading for the couch. "They should be back soon." She said, sitting down on one end while the older yōkai sat a cushion away.

"I see." He remarked before silence enveloped them.

With the stillness came the questions from before and had Kagome worrying once more. Not being able to take it any longer, she finally spoke up. "You wanted to talk?"

"Yes." Sesshōmaru confirmed as he hesitantly reached over to tuck some hair behind her ear. "I should not have left the way I did."

Welcome relief washed over her when she realized that he wasn't there to end things. "You were angry." Kagome offered, hoping to get him to see she wasn't upset any longer.

"I was and frustrated." He admitted with a sigh, scooting closer and seizing hold of one of her hands. His thumb running over the soft skin as he continued. "Still, I should have stayed and listened to what you had to say."

Maybe so, but they both had been angry, frustrated, and a little confused. There was a chance that nothing would have been solved even if he had stayed. She shrugged and promptly changed the subject by acknowledging her faults. "If I had known I was disrespecting your claim by not setting Inuyasha straight, then I would have been more direct with him. I just don't want to hurt his feelings. He's my friend."

Snorting at the word friend since they both knew Inuyasha had been anything but as of late, Sesshōmaru squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Either way, someone is going to get hurt."

She knew that but wished there was a more painless way of crushing her lifelong friend's ego without seeming like some heartless bitch. "I know." Exhaled Kagome a frown appearing at the thought.

The yōkai released her hand, seamlessly moving to drape his arm over her shoulders, kissing her temple as he gathered her to his side. "This is getting in the way of us." His balmy breath tickled the hairs on her head while he leaned back to make eye contact with her. "We will need to let everyone know we are together."

Her teeth sank into her bottom lip, staring up at him in contemplation. Were they together? They had never discussed it after deciding to take it one day at a time. "Are we...together that is?" She hesitantly asked, eyes dropping to her lap.

His other hand reached out to snag hers once again and softly stroked the center. "I would like us to be." He uttered softly, still caressing the pliable flesh of her palm.

Did she want that as well? To be together as a couple and not so undefined. Kagome recognized that a month ago, she had been reluctant to carry out any substantial commitment towards this man, but now she desired that for their healing relationship. It was a second chance for both of them. "So would I." She whispered, glancing up to stare longingly into his glittering pools of gold.

"Good." He replied, flashing her that heart faltering smile.

That damn smirk had Kagome fighting the rapid racing of her heart and the flush of color to her cheeks. She tried distracting herself by focusing on something else. "When should we tell my friends?"

"Tomorrow." Stated Sesshōmaru, his gaze scanning her stunned features to see how she would react to the news.

Swallowing nervously, she squeaked out a response. "So soon?" They had just decided to tell everyone; why the rush? Shouldn't they give it a little time to sink in and prepare for whatever might happen?

The inuyōkai let go of her hand, reaching up to gently cup her heated cheek. "We cannot let Inuyasha believe that he has a legitimate claim. It is too cruel to allow it to continue." He answered honestly, lightly brushing his thumb along her cheekbone.

Awe. He was trying to salvage his brother's feelings. She was uncertain if that was what he was doing or not, but it was incredibly sweet, nonetheless. Kagome nuzzled the warm palm and sighed deeply. "I know." She said sincerely, eyes closing at the comforting touch.

"Gome," muttered the demon watching the tiny female open her eyes and stare up at him questioningly. The thumb on her cheek continued to caress as his bright gaze softened, and he whispered tenderly. "I am sorry."

It made her all warm inside, hearing the proud yōkai apologize knowing that he would only ever do it just for her and never for anyone else. "Me too," confessed the teen leaning comfortably into his beefy palm some more.

Sesshōmaru drew closer so that his forehead rested against hers, his hot breath skimming her moistened lips as he asked a question. "Are we okay?"

A large smile made her almond eyes crinkle at the corners as she shook her head the best that she could. "Yeah, we're good."

A relieved sigh escaped while he pulled away only to swoop in to capture her eager lips. His hand wove into her dark locks at the same time as she crawled stealthily into his lap to get better access and deepen the passionate kiss.

When their lungs demanded oxygen, the couple separated both panting heavily from the lack of air. Kagome gently rested against Sesshōmaru as he lightly rubbed her back. The only sound in the room was of their heavy breathing.

Several minutes passed before Kagome lifted off his chest, sitting back on his upper thighs to look at him. "Do you want to stay for supper?" She asked with a smile fingering his tie playfully. "Malakai was asking about you."

Sesshōmaru leaned in closer, his silver brows rising high in question as his lips ghost her own. "Was he?" He whispered tenderly.

"Uh-huh." She muttered, her gaze flicking between his golden gaze to his hot mouth.

"I would like that." The yōkai breathed before closing the distance and catching her swollen lips yet again.

It wasn't long before Malakai came bouncing into the room, happy to see his father and not realizing he had interrupted something. They ended up eating with her family then Sesshōmaru helped Kagome bath their son. Afterward, the couple settled in on the couch to watch a movie. It was something that they had done since the weekend in Mito. Malakai made it halfway through the film before dozing off on his father's lap. Kagome was curled up against his side, an arm wrapped around her shoulders while the other was held firmly around the sleeping toddler.

When the credits scrolled across the screen, the duo carried their child up to his room, tucking him in before heading to the front door to bid their goodbyes.

"I will be here in the morning to pick you up?" he said, slipping on his shoes.

Gently opening the door to allow in the light June breeze, Kagome turned to lean against the jamb as she watched him toss on his jacket. "Is it okay if we give Sango a ride?" She thoughtfully asked, her fingers rubbing small circles on the smooth wood.

Sesshōmaru extracted his keys from his pocket and shook his silver mane about. "That is not a problem." He stated, walking towards her and the open doorway.

Thank the Gods. Sango wasn't too keen on traveling by bus as of now. There was something about some creepy old guy ogling her then trying to cop a feel. The experience had shaken Sango up and left her too nervous to ride the bus alone. She was presently ridesharing with those that had cars or walking with someone to school. "Good. I will text Sango and let her know."

He stopped in front of her brushing her bangs from her almond eyes. "You will also need to let everyone know that you will need to speak with them tomorrow. It would be best to do it in a group, maybe out in the courtyard near the left wall." Suggested the yōkai watching the petite woman roll her eyes dramatically.

It sounded as if the inuyōkai was trying to avoid a fuss, not that it would stop one should a certain half-demon lose his shit. "If you're thinking that will stop a scene, it won't," Kagome remarked pointedly.

They both knew what or whom she undoubtedly meant by that. It always seemed to come back to the hanyō. Clucking his nimble tongue, he tacitly agreed with her statement. "It might not stop one, but not that many people go that far. If there should be an altercation, no one will get hurt."

"Why does it seem like your anticipating one?" asked the teen, brows disappearing into her bangs.

Snorting, Sesshōmaru tossed his light locks over a shoulder and quipped dryly. "When anything involves Inuyasha, then it should be expected that an altercation of sorts will happen."

It was as if the demon had read her mind minutes before, though he sounded certain that there would be a fight. "That is definitely not comforting in the least," Kagome commented wryly.

"It wasn't supposed to be comforting just the facts." He said sarcasm heavy on his tongue.

"Well, the facts suck." Sniffed the teen haughtily fingers reaching out to toy with his tie.

A grin surface as the yōkai retorted. "No, Inuyasha does." He laughed, finding amusement at what he said.

Smothering the snicker at her friend's expense, Kagome pretended she didn't hear him. "Okay, I'll group chat the others and tell them to meet me in the courtyard near the left wall." She commented before tossing out another question. "What do I tell them?" Her friends were not stupid and would want to know why she wanted to meet them. Questions were bound to be asked in abundance.

Stilling her hand, Sesshōmaru carefully pulled it away to hold it gently. "Just tell them you need to meet to discuss something. There is no need to elaborate," he advised bringing her hand up to kiss her knuckles tenderly while whispering reassuringly into the soft skin. "Everything will be fine."

Kagome knew he was trying to stem the worry that churned in her belly, but it did little to do so. She couldn't lessen the feeling of dread. "If you say so." Muttered the woman summoning a brittle smile.

Sighing, he tried once more to reassure her. "I do." Pulling her close, Sesshōmaru kissing her lightly. "Now relax." Said the yōkai when he released her lips and stepped back. His fingertips grazed her cheek while bidding her goodbye. "I will see you tomorrow. Oyasumi to ii yume."

Waving to the demon, she whispered into the darkened night. "Oyasumi." Her stomach twisted when she closed the door, locking it before heading for the stairs to text Sango then the group chat.

Stripping out of her clothes and getting into pajamas, Kagome flopped back on the bed, snatching her phone from the bedside table to send a quick text to Sango.

Seconds later, the phone in hand buzzed to life. She answered it with a lack of a traditional greeting. "You could have just shot me a text."

Scoffing could be heard over the line before her best friend responded. "I could have, but I didn't. I'll be at your house in the morning. Normal time?"

"Get here a little early. I need to do a group chat and ask everyone to meet in the courtyard near the left wall. I have something that I need to tell them." Kagome promptly informed her friend as she stared at the ceiling.

"Finally!" Sango yelled, clearly excited at the news. "I'm not sure how much longer I could have handled Miroku bugging me about it. He wouldn't shut up." The brunette said, groaning in irritation.

"Miroku knows?" asked the teen, not sure if she should be happy or horrified at the prospect of the young monk figuring it out.

Sango's snort echoed through the phone as she fondly answered. "He suspects it and even said that if you were, he'd be cool with it. I didn't confirm nor deny, though." Her beloved friend sounded rather smug about the last part.

It didn't surprise Kagome that Miroku would be supportive of their relationship even though he is best friends with Inuyasha. She realized that if the monk was in their corner, then he could at least try to talk some reason into the hanyō should they need so. "Thanks." She said, chuckling in amusement.

"No problem." replied the brunette before casually throwing out a proposition. "If you want, I'll group chat everyone for you. It might be easier, and you won't be bombarded with questions."

That was awfully sweet of her, but she didn't have to do that. "You don't have to." declined the other teen.

Sango scoffed, and Kagome could practically see her best friend's dark eyes rolling while she spoke. "I don't, but I want to. Plus, it will drive Miroku to utter distraction, since he knows I know and won't tell him."

A maniacal laugh echoed over the line, and the teen mom shook her dark head giggling between words. "You are too cruel to that man."

"I'm not that cruel. I did agree to go on a date with him." Revealed Sango with an air of haughtiness.

"What!" Screamed Kagome into the receiver. "You did not tell me that. When?" She eagerly asked her best friend sitting up in the bed.

"It happened after clubs today. I figured if you could give Sesshōmaru a chance, then maybe I should take my own advice." Sango admitted clucking her tongue as she carried on. "The pervert has one chance, and he better make it a good one."

At her friend's demanding words, Kagome found herself giggling once more. "Oh, I'm sure he will."

"Yeah, right." The brunette snorted loudly. "He will probably take me to Hooters."

It was a place that Miroku would be drawn to, so it was a reasonable assumption. "Well, that is a fair guess. Just tell him it can't be anything sexual in nature." She graciously offered, trying to help her bestie out.

A hum of approval echoed in her ear. "That might work," Sango said more to herself.

"Hopefully." Kagome yawned as she cheekily retorted. "We are talking about Miroku, after all." You never knew what you were going to get when the monk was involved.

"So true." Said Sango sighing deeply. "Well, I'll let you go so I can send a group chat and message Miroku about some ground rules." She threw out bidding Kagome goodnight. "See you in the morning. Goodnight."

Kagome yawned again as she crawled underneath the covers. "Night." She said before ending the call and setting her phone on the side table. Snuggling into the blanket, Kagome forced herself to ignore the gnawing worry while praying to whatever Kami that was listening that all would go well tomorrow.

 

 

*Oyasumi to ii yume - Good night and Good Dreams

Another chapter is done, and I'm while I'm not in love it with it will have to do.

Finally, Kagome and Sesshomaru have decided to tell everyone that they are seeing one another. How do you think her friends will take it, especially Inuyasha? It is clear that he is interested in poor Kagome. Unfortunately, it is unrequited. He is also pissing off Sesshomaru, which cannot be a good idea. It does not look good for our mouth hanyo.

What did you think of this new chapter? I won't know unless you leave a review.

 

1