Chapter Four
534 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the house was all sorts of trinkets and dried plants, one of them reminding Amari of a certain plant humans used to get high.

"Miranda, can you begin? I don't plan to stay here all day." Evie smiled and spoke gently, yet Miranda shivered as if she were in a frozen wasteland devoid of clothes.

"R-right away!" Miranda grabbed the briefcase and set it on the cluttered table and opened it. Along with a small box was stacks of cash sitting besides it.

Having done rings before, Miranda lifted the ring and a sphere of light formed in her hands. Amari's eyes grew wide as she gazed at the ball with excitement.

"Don't be so happy, witches also have combat spells that make it harder to kill them." Alvin looked at the light and rolled his eyes recalling past memories.

Miranda gulped when she heard Alvin talking about killing witches. If it were someone else, she might have shrugged it off, but Alvin and Evie had a track record of killing witches!

"Alvin, what else do we have to do today?" Amari tore her eyes from the magical scene and asked Alvin a question that had been nagging at her.

"We need to get you your papers, birth certificates and such. I miss the old times where there wasn't such a strict system for identities."

Evie walked around the room, unnerving Miranda to no end. Miranda felt like a predator was eyeing her, waiting for her to flinch so it could attack.

Miranda kept the light going for a few more seconds before turning to Amari. "I need some of your blood to complete the spell."

Seeing Evie nod, Amari stretched out a delicate hand and watched as Miranda retrieved a small knife and pressed the point into Amari's finger.

While the sensation was painful, Amari expected it to hurt more. A drop of blood welled up from the tiny puncture wound and floated over to the ring under Miranda's control.

The blood merged with the ring and the ring slowly descended until it touched the table. Amari found the scene cool, but she was more focused on her already healed finger.

"Are you ready to go sweetie?" Evie gave the newly made ring to Amari and rubbed her soft silky hair with a gentle expression.

"Yeah. I can stand outside in the sun now right?" Amari looked at the black gem embedded in the ring and slipped it on her tiny finger.

Even though the ring was too big, the ring shrunk itself until it became the perfect fit for Amari.

"I like it." Amari turned it this way and that, not bothering to hide her fascination with the ring, curious as to how it worked.

Of course, someone would want to figure out the inner workings of the ring if it prevented them from becoming a pile of ash in the sun.

"Let's go." Evie led Alvin and Amari out of the house, not even bothering to tell the witch goodbye. The car started up and drove off.

Miranda looked at the stacks of money in the briefcase and sighed. Vampires were more often than not extremely rich due to their long lives.

Of course, if a noble vampire wanted wealth, they just had to offer immortality to any rich human who'd all jump willingly at the offer.

...

"The world is a chaotic place Amari, so we'll make sure to teach you how to defend yourself soon okay?" Evie fiddled with her phone while speaking.

"I still need to learn how to fight even though I'm so strong? Can't I just use brute strength?" Amari clenched her dainty fists, feeling raw strength coursing through her body.

"Well, you could, but noble vampires can be defeated and killed Amari. Let's not talk about other noble vampires, even human hunters can get lucky and catch you by surprise."

"Of course, noble vampires are similarly as strong as we are, so breaking your neck to disable you, or straight away severing your head would kill you."

"Decapitation? We can survive a broken neck but not our head coming off?" Amari found it quite cool inwardly. Imagining breaking another person's neck to render them unconscious like a certain show did was amazing in her eyes.

"You seem quite excited. Don't worry, our territory is devoid of other noble vampires, and the normal vampires don't really pose a threat to you." Alvin turned off the car, and only then did Amari realize they had already reached.

The buildings were neat and tidy, and because the sun had yet to rise, people hadn't really started to move about yet. Smelling the fragrance of blood and hearing the sound of blood flowing would have sent a regular vampire who had just been turned into a frenzy, yet Amari was fine due to her being a noble.

"We have a person who does our papers for us when we ask him to. Don't do anything that'd alarm people dear." Evie got out and walked around at a normal speed and opened Amari's door.

Amari nodded and followed Alvin and Evie into the well maintained building. Inside was quite pleasing to the eye, having couches and chairs placed in a specific sequence.

Riding the elevator to the seventh floor, the trio got out and walked to an office with a sign hanging on the door reading 'Do Not Disturb'.

Amari could hear breathing on the other side of the door, indicating that someone was indeed inside despite it being so early in the morning.

Alvin knocked on the door, waited for a moment. The footsteps and breathing changed slightly and a man in a suit opened the door with an annoyed expression that quickly shifted to a fawning one.

"Alvin, Evie, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Justin smiled and invited them in, taking a few curious looks at Amari whom he hadn't seen before.

"We need papers for our daughter. We'll send you fifty thousand in advance. How soon can you get it done?" Alvin sat in a chair and spoke authoritatively.

"I'll need two days at the least. Rest assured, it's quality is going to be satisfactory." Justin looked at the beautiful family, his eyes lingering on Evie a bit longer before drifting to Amari.

"Hello, my name is Justin, it's nice to meet you." Holding out his hand for a handshake, Amari stretched her small hand and shook his larger one without much thought.

Justin felt as if he had just grasped a cold piece of ice instead of a flesh and blood hand. He retracted his hand quickly with a small smile and took a look at the information Alvin emailed to him.

"This should be enough, I'll have it sent to you in two days." Alvin nodded at Justin and left with Evie and Amari. Justin sat on his chair and let out a sigh of relief.

Whenever he faced Alvin or Evie, he always felt like a beast was about to devour him whole, and even when he shook Amari's hand, it felt soft and smooth, but his back was immediately drenched in sweat.

He had shaken Alvin's and Evie's hand before and remembered they also felt cold. With a shake of his head, and a shudder he didn't dare to continue that line of thought.

23