Chapter 22 – Nine years
615 0 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Shimotsuki Kuina POV)

Entering my room I started to pack everything I may need on this journey while thinking about anything I may need in the future. "I'll have to ask Dad for some berries."

"You're good, everything is paid for."

"Really? That's gre- AH!" Jumping at the voice that was right next to my ear I turned to find Emma standing in my room with a playful smile plastered on her face.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were cooking."

'How and when did she get here?' Looking at her with blatant suspicion seemed to hurt her feelings as she lowered her head and lost her smile.

"Sorry I just came by quick to tell you that you don't need to bring too much. I thought it would be ok to talk to you for a second. I'll leave." Sighing she then quickly turned to leave but as she was about to walk out I stopped her.

"No, that's not it. we can talk, I was just surprised." At my words, Emma smiled like the previous dejection was all a lie as she came skipping back to me and exclaimed.

"That's great, you're so nice, truly the quality of the strongest swordsman. Anyway as I said I came to tell you not to worry about bringing too much. We are going to be staying on the next island we stop at for about nine years and we can get everything we may need there." Looking at her in confusion I asked.

"Why nine years?"

"KYAKYAKYA, isn't it obvious? We need to train before we can separate from my parents. We are far too weak as of right now."

"They aren't coming to help you?" Shaking her head Emma started to explain.

"They have something they do already. They'll just be training us until I'm 18 and then we depart from them." Waving at me after finishing Emma then dashed out of my room before I could ask anything else. Shaking my head I thought about other islands.

'I wonder how many types of islands exist. A snow island would be fun to visit.' Shaking my head to get snow out of my mind, I decided to pack just a couple of pairs of clothes and some personal things before setting it all next to the door. Looking down at the bag I became lost in my thoughts.

'I didn't think so much would happen today, I was ready to give up on my dream and just live a quiet life.' Looking around my room memories of my past flashed through my mind. After a while of just standing in a daze, I finally snapped out of it when I once again heard someone speak into my ear

  "Dinners ready." Jumping again in shock I turned to see Monet who was holding herself back from laughing.

"You've been gone for a while so I came to get you." Looking at her in confusion I asked.

"How long has it been?" Shrugging, Monet replied.

"Who knows? Come, let's go eat." Grabbing me by the hand Monet dragged me towards the kitchen. Looking down at our hands I had a thought

'So I can touch her.' Shaking my head again I started to curse Monet for intruding into my mind but chose not to stop her from guiding me like this.

  After eating the Dinner that Emma and her Dad prepared and enduring the constant glares from Monets little sister while we were all talking I was about to head back to my room and make sure I had everything ready once more before going to sleep but Zoro stopped me while holding three real swords.

"Kuina, fight me." I was a little confused by his request and it seemed he understood that as he cleared his throat then explained.

"We've only fought with wooden swords up until now, I want to face you with real ones before our next fight for the title of world's strongest." Smiling at his words I went to grab wado ichimonji so that we could fight. Facing each other under the moonlight we both got ready to fight before we heard a voice.

"Don't you need a ref?" Looking up we found Emma looking down on us while sitting on a zabuton floating in the air. This caused us both to gawk at her before she clapped her hands snapping us out of it, then she spoke.

"Yeah I get it I look amazing now hurry up and get ready to fight." Looking at each other Zoro and I both nodded before getting ready once more, Zoro holding a sword in each hand and one in his mouth while I only used one holding it with both hands.

"Fight in 3...2...1."  As soon as she said one Zoro came running at me and slashed with both the swords in his hands towards my side. Blocking both the swords caused me to be pushed back slightly and Zoro took this opportunity to use the third sword swinging it diagonally upwards towards my head making me quickly tilt it backward barely dodging with some of my hair being cut.

Watching my hair fall I thought about how I almost gave up on my dream because of the closing gaps in strength between me and others. Then I thought back to the lack of actual training I've ever done. Getting angry at my past actions of just wallowing to myself for being a woman instead of training harder to get stronger as Zoro does, I decided to take out all my frustrations in this battle.

Starting to pick up the pace with my attacks I began to overwhelm Zoro with sheer speed and repetitive attacks until he finally slipped up with the sword in his mouth giving me the chance to knock him off his feet and into the air with the blunt end of my blade. As he fell onto the ground I changed my grip on my sword and then stabbed the tip into the ground right next to Zoro's head.

"Match Winner, Kuina." Looking down at Zoro and with a smile on my face, I told him.

"Get used to only ever being the second best." Looking back up at me with his smile Zoro rebutted.

"Wait until our next fight, you won't be smiling then."

"KYAKYAKYAKYA, if you want to stand a chance against her in the future then you better start pestering that old man to teach you santoryu style properly." Slowly floating towards us Emma then looked at me before speaking.

"We'll leave tomorrow whenever you're ready." Not waiting for me to respond Emma then floated back up and away while still sitting down on the zabuton.

"I want to know how she's doing that." Nodding to Zoros's words, I decided to ask her tomorrow.

'I'll also have to go ask Monet how she can turn into snow'. Thinking this I turned to go back to my room and sleep.

    (Emma POV)

Standing at the entrance of the village I turned to look at Kuina who was standing face to face with her father in front of the dojo as they were talking to one another before hugging for a while and then separating as she turned to walk towards us. It was too far for me to hear but Mom had a smile on her face as did Kuina so her Dad must have hoped for her to achieve her dream or something.

"Where is the ship?" Smiling, I asked her back.

"Zoro isn't going to see you off?" shaking her head she turned to look back at the dojo before speaking.

"He is currently badgering Grandad as you told him to."

"KYAKYAKYA, good, that old man is lazy and needs to do something. Anyway, the ship is on the east side of the island across the mountains." Looking at us in shock she asked.

"You made that trip in such a short time?"

"KYAKYA, you'll see, the mountains are the easiest part." To the side, Monet and Sugar shuddered slightly when they heard that and since Kuina has been trying to slyly glance at Monet she noticed it.

"Don't worry about it." Walking up to her I patted her shoulder before turning to Mom and Dad and speaking.

"Time for us to finally settle down for a while."

"YAYAYAYA, get ready, all of you. I will train you every day until you collapse." Joining in Mom added.

"Even when you're collapsed you'll still be learning general knowledge under me until you're strong enough for me to teach Observation Haki to."

"What's that?" Kuina asked. Looking at her with a wide smile on his face Dad replied.

"You'll know when the time comes." Sighing in resignation at Dad's words Kuina just hung her head in acceptance causing Monet to laugh at her.

'She finds absolutely anything that inconveniences someone funny.' Shrugging my shoulders I decided it doesn't matter as I led the expedition back to the ship. Until about halfway to the mountain because as it turns out I'm really bad at remembering directions so I gave up and let Robin be the guide for the rest of the way.

Kuinas reaction to Robin's ability and getting thrown over a mountain along with Monet and Sugar's similar reaction as last time were funny at least. Making it back to the ship I realized a problem.

"Even if it's only about a month until we reach the next island we don't have a bed for Kuina to sleep in." Chiming in while raising her arm Monet said.

"She can just joi-" Not letting her finish Sugar pinched Monet's side and glared daggers at her. Laughing Monet then rubbed Sugar's hair while looking at her face that dripped with irritation. Turning to look at Kuina I found her mumbling something with a slightly red face while staring at Monet.

'There's no way' Looking between the two of them I decided to shake that thought out of my mind and was going to suggest something before Law spoke.

"She can have my bed. I'm used to sleeping on the floor of a ship so the couch in the saloon will be more than enough for me." At this Mom asked Law.

"Are you sure that's fine Law? We can try and find another bed on the island before we leave." Shaking his head, Law responded.

"No, it's really fine. It's not like the couch is uncomfortable anyway." Smiling at how nice Law is acting I told him.

"You can choose what we eat for the next week." Scratching his chin with a small smile on his face, Law said.

"I don't mind what we eat as long as it isn't bread." Nodding my head I noted down in my mind to not use bread as the main part of any dish for the rest of this voyage.

"Thank you, Law," Kuina said while slightly bowing to him. Quickly shaking his arms, he responded.

"There's no need for thanks." After that, we all got on the ship and were about to move all of Kuinas stuff to her room before Monet asked something.

"Instead of having us four cramped in one room, why don't Emma and Robin take this one and Kuina come to our room instead?" After she said this I swear I saw Robin quickly flash her a thumbs up but I don't see why she would do that so it must just be my imagination. Ignoring it, I looked at Kuina before asking her.

"Is that ok with you?" Snapping out of a daze, Kuina quickly nodded her red face.

"Yeah, no problem." Looking at her actions I couldn't help but think.

'She fell for Monet. How in the hell did she manage that.?' Turning to look at Monet I found her staring at Kuina with a small smile on her face, eyes narrowed. Looking back at Kuina I prayed for her safety before we all started to move our things around as we set sail for the Conomi islands.

26