Chapter 27 – Like a cat
606 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    (Pietas R. Geina POV)

    Getting out of bed I cleaned myself off with a damp rag and then left the exhausted and sleepy Gauge behind as I went towards the kitchen to prepare everyone breakfast. Walking into the kitchen though I was first surprised at the scent coming from it before seeing the person cooking making me question my senses.

"What are you just standing there and staring for?" Snapping out of my daze I asked.

"It's possible for you to get up this early?" This made Emma click her tongue in irritation before explaining.

"I wanted to sleep more but I figured once Robin woke up and saw me asleep next to her she would be overcome with embarrassment from last night so I woke up early and left to save her from that." Looking at her with shock again I asked.

"What did you two do last night?"

"KYAKYAKYA, nothing like what you and Dad were doing, she was just embarrassed to learn that I wasn't always asleep when she started to dote on me." Sighing in relief for a second I then started to laugh also.

"JAJAJAJA, I didn't think Robin would be that bold, even if you are asleep." Pursing her lips for a second she then said.

"It would be nice if she was bolder, I might like to tease her but I prefer to be the one getting teased." This made me once again stare at her in shock causing her to laugh at me before adding.

"I also decided to get up early because I figured both you and Dad would be out of commission this morning."

"JAJA, your father may train his stamina a lot but that's only to try and keep up with me. I'm still in tip-top shape." Flexing my arms caused Emma to laugh.

"KYAKYA, if you're in such good condition then come and help me cook, it's not often we cook together." Smiling at Emma's request, I went to wash my hands before helping her prepare breakfast for everyone, as we kept telling lewd jokes to one another and laughing. After a little while of this back and forth Emma seemed to remember something as she said.

"Monet should have some jokes of her own in a few weeks once she finishes all those "books" I got her."

"What are they about?" Wearing an innocent smile as if we weren't making jokes that would cause Gauge and Robin to turn tail and skip breakfast if they heard them, Emma said.

"Just some things that any girl in that time of her life might find...Interesting. Especially with Monet's unique personality." Thinking about it for a second I started to laugh as I both pitied and was slightly jealous of what will probably happen to Kuina in the future.

"Don't worry, I figured whatever Dad got you wouldn't be enough without him even telling me what it was, so I made something although it isn't very well drawn."  Saying this Emma quickly dashed out of the kitchen before coming back less than a minute later with a blank covered book in hand.

"I wanted Robin to "accidentally" read it first so I could see her reaction but thinking more about it, it would work better if she ''accidentally" found one with two women instead." Handing me a book I opened it to find a drawing of a man and woman in a strange position. Flipping through the pages a grin formed on my face that got wider the more positions I saw.

    Closing the book I put it in the apron pocket before giving Emma a tight hug. "This is the best gift I have ever gotten, I love it."

Hugging me back we both then quickly separated when we smelt eggs starting to burn. "KYAKYA, maybe I should have waited until after we finished cooking to give that to you."

During breakfast, Robin kept glancing at Emma and quickly looking away when Emma looked back and I wasn't too surprised with what I had been told but to my surprise, a similar scene was happening with Law and the new girl Reiju.

'Everyone on this ship seems to like someone else on it. I wonder if Sugar will end up with Nojiko or Nami in the future.' Turning to look at Sugar I found her having an empty gaze while staring at a furiously blushing Kuina and smiling Monet who was sitting on Kuina's lap while feeding her breakfast.

'She'll probably like Nojiko with that whole sister complex of hers. And based on what I've been told of Nojiko's past and how she treats Nami it won't be surprising if she ends up liking Sugar ' Watching the three a little more I decided on something.

"Sugar, when you're done eating can you go and prepare about 15 million berries worth of treasure for me?" Absentmindedly nodding her head, Sugar got up from the table and left the room.

"She hasn't even eaten anything yet."

"SUSUSUSU, that's ok she'll indulge in grapes later to sulk. It was a fair contest so there's nothing I can do to help her." Monet said while continuing to feed Kuina without pause.

"What do you mean contest?" Emma asked. Her question made Kuina go even redder as Monet finished feeding her then sat down the fork she was using. Booping her on the nose with a teasing smile she then turned to Emma and explained.

"Sugar and Kuina were arguing about if my-." Not letting her finish her words Kuina covered her mouth but Monet just shrugged and then leaned her head onto Kuina's shoulders cozying herself until she closed her eyes and stayed in that position.

Not knowing how to handle this Kuina quickly took her hand off Monet's mouth but Monet still didn't leave her position. "Y...you ca...can get up now."

Kuina said while her entire body was beet red in embarrassment. Opening her eyes Monet's lips formed a devious smile as she started to rub her head on Kuina's neck.

"Nope, you're so nice and warm right now it would be a shame to miss it." Ignoring Kuina's feeble protest, Monet continued to do whatever she wanted which appeared to be acting like a cat.

'Still, I wonder how that all started. I'll have to ask Monet later. I'll also have to ask to see those books, she ramped up her teasing after one night of reading them.' As I was having this thought Robin and Law stood up abruptly at nearly the same time before looking in each other's eyes then speaking at the same time.

"I have to go read up on those medical books."

"I need to start my training for the day." Not giving anyone any time to respond, both of them bolted out of the room.

"KYAKYAKYAKYAKYA." holding her stomach Emma's entire upper body was bent over the table as she couldn't control her laughter. Hearing someone else laugh as well I looked over at Reiju and found she was in a similar state as Emma.

'At least Law and Robin can get solace in the fact they're not alone...weird how Kuina whose seemingly the most embarrassed didn't leave though.' Looking back at Kuina I decided to look under the table and found Kuina rubbing her legs together.

'As I thought. JAJA, it seems that their "taste" matches up perfectly. There's no way Monet hasn't noticed with where she's sitting.' Looking at Monet she looked back at me and then winked before closing her eyes again and going back to being a cat.

Laughing to myself some more I then got up and decided it was finally time to bring Gauge his food. "I'll help you."

After Emma said that a plate of food floated over to me. Looking at it and her in confusion I asked. "When did you prepare this?"

Shrugging, she said. "After I was able to catch my breath, I figured even if he's still in bed he needs to eat eventually."

Smiling at her consideration I rubbed her hair and then took the plate and the book from earlier to Gauge. After a few hours, I came out of the room with a refreshed smile on my face as I headed towards the deck of the ship where I saw Emma, Sugar, and Reiju lifting dumbbells.

Noticing me Sugar quickly sat down the weights and picked up a small chest then walked towards me. "Here you go. I think this should be about 15 million but please make sure."

Taking the chest from her I opened it and after examining the contents I closed It with a wide smile on my face as I pat Sugar's head and said.

"Good job, it's about 15,600,000 worth of berries. You are getting better and better at correct estimates, at this rate you'll be able to correctly calculate the entirety of Shandora." Falling into a daze Sugar probably started thinking about all that gold so I pat her head again before asking Emma.

"Can you show me the way to Bell-mére's house? I have something I want her to do."

"What do you need from her?" Emma asked in response while putting up her weights and Wiping her face off.

"Remember what I've been working on? If she's as good as you say then she should be able to help me." Scratching her neck while wearing a strained smile Emma said.

"I don't know if she's good or not, I just know she likes to do it."

"If you know about it then I'm sure it has to be at least up to the level I want." Smiling at me while staring at the chest Emma asked.

"Will that be enough?" Nodding, I answered.

"And then some, at least for the next three years." After thinking about it Emma went inside the ship and came back a few minutes later with some books and maps.

"I got these as well for the two members of our crew that are yet to join, I'll just say it's a thank you gift or something."

"I understand the maps are for Nami but what would Nojiko need the books for?"

"I'm sure Bell-mére will teach her how to use guns and that's great because I planned on her being our marksman so I got her some books that might help her better understand wind direction, bullet fall off, and some other things in that field."

Thinking about how far Emma had planned for all this I couldn't help the prideful smile that had formed on my face as she guided me towards Bell-mére's house.

'She can plan but she clearly can't navigate. I'll start that as her next lesson.' Thinking about how basic of a level I needed to start her off with we finally got to our destination after a little over an hour.

'This will be a challenge for the both of us. Good thing I have that book Emma gave me to help me through this tough trial.' Thinking about what positions to force Gauge's body into later I walked up to the door and the chest in my arms floated In the air for a second so I could knock before it fell back down into my arms.

(Bell-mére POV)

'Why haven't I had any more customers' laying the top half of my body on the kitchen table I started to complain.

"Our tangerines are the best ones on this island yet no one wants to buy them." Banging my hands on the table In defiance I shot up to my feet before sitting back down and sighing.

'The money I got from Robin's purchase won't last much longer.' Turning to look at Nojiko I found her in a state of focus quietly sewing something. Looking closer and realizing what it was I smiled.

'I'm sure Nami will like the shirt.' I was about to give her some advice but there was a sudden knock at the door.

'I didn't sense anyone, I wonder what Robin or Emma want?' With this in mind I opened the door expecting to see one of the two girls but the second I made eye contact with the woman who knocked all of my senses shot to alert as I got ready to fight.

Looking confused for a second the woman then started to laugh. "JAJAJAJAJA."

Her actions confused me but I didn't lower my guard as I intently glared at her, waiting for her to attack. Peeking her head around the woman's waist I saw Emma.

"Oh hi Bell-mére', why do you look like you're ready to fight to the death?" Not letting me fully understand what was happening the woman stopped laughing and spoke.

"That's my fault. I was too busy thinking about your father so my gaze was probably a little intense."

'Is Emma's Father a warlord or something? Why did she have such a dangerous gaze while thinking about him?'

"KYAKYAKYA, I feel sorry for Dad but all of us want you to have another child so he'll just have to deal with it." After hearing their conversation I dropped my guard and sighed in relief.

'That explains how Emma and Robin are so strong for their age. She seems stronger than even the admirals, how haven't I heard of her before?'

"Sorry to bother you like this, my name's Geina, and as you've probably guessed I'm Emma's Mom. I was hoping I could hire you for something?" Her question raised my money sensor so after introducing myself I invited both of them inside and guided them towards the table before pouring them and Nojiko some fresh tangerine juice.

"What would you like to hire me for? Besides growing tangerines, I can only be considered a somewhat decent seamstress." Perking up at my words Nojiko exclaimed!

"You're an amazing seamstress!" Her praise of my work made a wide smile appear on my face and I decided to make her favorite food for dinner tonight.

"Then that's perfect because I was hoping you could make these for me." Saying this she sat down on the chest she was holding and took out a sketchbook from inside her shirt then handed it to me.

'The way those pockets are is convenient, I'll have to add some to my clothes like that.' With that thought in mind, I opened the sketchbook and flipped through the pages staring at each design in amazement.

'There are elements taken in from different cultures all over the world and each one is so detailed.' Looking back up at Geina I asked something that I just thought about.

"How did you know I could sew?" Turning her head she looked at Emma who then looked at Nojiko who looked at the floor before looking up at me nervously.

"I've been telling people around the village that you were good at sewing in case any of them might want to hire you." Nojiko's words sent a pang of guilt through my heart as I stood up and went over to her to bring her into a hug.

'This child shouldn't have to worry about such things. I'm such a failure as a parent.' Looking down at her I said.

"Don't think such mature thoughts, you just enjoy your childhood and let me worry about all of the adult things." Looking back at me in concern Nojiko replied.

"But you're not very mature yourself." I wanted to refute her words but really couldn't and as I was lost for what to say to that I heard laughter.

"KYAKYAKYAKYA."

"JAJAJAJAJA." Turning to look at the two guests I was confused for a second before Geina opened the chest she had sat down and my eyes almost fell out.

"I'll have everyone come by for measurements once you have all the material, We'll be on the island for about the next decade. This should be enough to cover the next couple of years for our clothes at least."

'I must have misheard her.'

"You said the next couple of years? That seems to be enough for a lot longer than that." Shaking her head at my words Geina then started to explain.

"This includes the cost of materials, cost of the  seamstress work, the cost to be measured, the cost for miscellaneous items like the knapsack Emma wants, and your taking it on as a special request so it will cost more."

Altering my gaze between the chest, Geina, and Nojiko I sighed. 'I'll take as much as I can for you girls but I can't scam these people by taking all of it for only a couple of years' worth of clothes.'

"Even with al-." Before I could explain how much it would cost Emma cut me off.

"Whatever's leftover after a couple of years is just leftover, you can just keep it. Honestly, this small amount of money is almost nothing to us so it doesn't even matter if you were to steal it and then skip town." After saying this she smiled widely before continuing.

"But if you did that then you would miss out on the next time we came to buy your services again in a couple of years for our next set of clothes." Not giving me time to point out the flaws in that reasoning to pay me so much, Emma walked next to me and Nojiko before handing her some books and maps.

"These are for you and Nami." Holding them all in confusion Nojiko asked?

"Why?" Patting Nojiko's head Emma said.

"Think of it as a thank you gift for introducing us to a seamstress." Her words made Nojiko look at me smugly causing me to laugh and also pat her head. After thanking Emma and Geina Nojiko went to Nami's room to give her her gift.

'Emma did recommend to Nojiko to search in the bookstore for Nami and she was indeed there so I wonder if she had a reason to give Nami maps.' Thinking this I asked Emma.

"Why maps." Shrugging her shoulder She replied.

"Just had a feeling Nami would like them and I always base my decisions on my feelings." Her straightforward answer caused me to smile and just as I remembered to deny that much compensation Emma spoke again.

"Again sorry for the intrusion, everyone will stop by to get measured eventually so I'll see you again when I do." After she said that she quickly pulled Geina by the hand out of my house not giving me the chance to give them an actual price.

"I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll make sure to make their clothes to the best of my ability to earn this money." With that thought in mind, I walked up to the chest before closing it and putting it somewhere safe.

'Meeting Robin and Emma was the second luckiest thing to happen to me.' Thinking this, I got ready to go to town and get everything I need to make Nojiko's favorite food for dinner.

'I can also buy some sweets now. I'm sure they'll both love chocolate-dipped tangerines with sea salt.' Licking my lips I made my way out the door.

24