Chapter 41 – In the shadows
501 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Nami POV)

'All of those books I read made this place seem a lot more dangerous than it's been.' Casually I steered the ship, not going near any whirlpools and correctly guessing all the changes in the weather.

"Monet, can you help with the snow?"  After I asked this she stood up, watched Kuina train for a little longer, and then approached me.

"What snow?" Just as she had finished her question white flakes started to fall from the sky before a blizzard quickly engulfed the ship.  We didn't have to get snowed on for long before a dome formed around the ship that no snow seemed to be able to enter.

"The snowstorm will disappear soon.”

Monet didn't say anything in response,  just smiled at me then turned to face Kuina who hadn't faltered in her practice.

"All of you are so love-struck."

My words made Monet turn back to me, a wide smile now on her lips. "SUSUSU, you're just too young to understand."

That dig at me made my cheek twitch so I pointed at the crows’ nest. "What about Sugar, she's old enough and has no interest in anyone."

Monet looked away from me and to the front of the ship where Nojiko sat, cleaning her gun.  "I think she'll come to have them in time, I made a mistake a while back and she's been mad at me since, I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the way she used to cling to me, hopefully, your sister can now be the one she clings to, she is smart enough to realize how amazing Sugar is so I’ll help her in her pursuit." 

I wasn't expecting such a heartfelt response from Monet of all people, I wanted to thank her for being willing to help Sis but she spoke first.

"SUSUSU, give it time, you'll be the only single one eventually." 

As I was about to refute her she deformed from where she stood, reforming behind Kuina with her hand exploring her body, shocking her enough to stop her practice.

'That's more like the Monet I know, it's also good she left because I have no idea how to argue about being the only single one and come out on top.' Not wanting to watch their interactions I began to maneuver the ship through more whirlpools that appeared, but just as I was turning the wheel a sea king jumped out of one of the whirlpools and launched an attack at us.

Instantly I turned my arm into mercury and formed a half-dome around the ship, a loud banging was heard as the sea king tried to break it to no avail.

"Make a hole for me." 

Just as I heard Nojiko, I created a hole in the half dome where the head of the beast should be. The sound of a gun was heard from behind me as a bullet flew over my head and through the hole, a few seconds later waves began to violently rock the ship. Reforming my arm back to normal we could now see the seaking floating on top of the now still water, part of its head missing.

"I'll bring it in." Walking past both Nojiko and me, Kuina dived headfirst into the water where she began cutting the beast into small pieces. 

Once again I changed my arm, gliding in across the top of the water until it reached her, to which she sat the chunks on top before I pulled them aboard to the meat corner.

"Why are we bringing so much in? Our chef hasn't left her room for weeks...Speaking of, I wonder what they're eating beside each other." 

While I began to grab more chunks I pulled out the eternal pose Emma had given me. "It won't be too long before we reach our destination, they'll have to stop soon, she'll cook then." 

"How much longer till we reach it? Also, what's the name of the place?" Monet's further questions made me do a double-take at her before I realized why she wouldn't know.

"I forgot, you and Kuina were preoccupied when Emma talked about it. She called it Sakura kingdom but the pose has the name Drum island along with all the maps I have that mention it." 

Monet's eyes were locked on Kuina as she licked her lips so I was going to give up on going on but after I stopped she turned to look at me.  "I'm still listening, just feasting my eyes on a wet Kuina that wasn't caused by me."

"How much of your brain is filled with lewd thoughts?" My question seemed to make her fall into deep thought as she looked at the floor before looking back at Kuina.

"Most of it." 

Her blunt response made me sigh before I continued. "The king of the Island is hoarding all of the doctors, not letting them operate on the citizens. Emma wants to use that kingdom as a test for the future so that she can have some experience in overthrowing a government along with reinstating a new one. Also, there is supposed to be a doctor there who should be able to help Law further his skills."

"I would question how she knows so much when we were all taught everything we know by the same people but…" Trailing off at the end of her sentence she sighed as she shook her head. 

"She'll tell us one day, I'm just surprised she hasn't already." 

"I don't care how she knows so much, she gave me a chance to follow my dream, that's all that matters to me." 

Climbing back onto the ship with her clothes drenched and mostly see-through Kuina added on. "I agree with Nami, It doesn't matter how she knows so much, she not only reignited my dream but also gave me a path to pursue it, I'll follow her regardless of ever knowing."

Shaking her head, Monet wrapped her arms around Kuinas waist, resting her chin on her shoulder. 

"I'm just curious, I know you all are as well."

'She's not wrong, thinking about it, Emma gifted me some maps not long after I told Sis and Mom my dream, they definitely wouldn't have had enough time to tell her that or reason to.' 

"So how much longer till we're there." 

"Less than a week, you should like it there since it's a snow island."

"SUSUSUSU" While she laughed Monet melted her body over Kuina's, once she covered her body Kuinas face went beat red as she quickly shut her mouth tight, a moan escaping before she could.

'Is she doing something like that in front of all of us?'

For a few more minutes she stayed like that as Kuina tried to hide her face and keep her voice muffled, once she formed back into her normal self she placed her chin back on Kuinas shoulder, Kuina's clothes now dry as if she never jumped into the water.

"Was there a need to make that so sexual?" 

My question caused Monet to look at me with a devious smile. "Of course, my brain is filled with lewd thoughts after all." 

Not wanting to continue that conversation I found an out. "I'm going to update my map, it should be smooth sailing for the next few days." 

"How can you tell?"

It was my turn to grin. "Just like how your head is filled with lewdness, mine is filled with meteorology."
Turning around I quickly left the deck as to not be subjected to the couple who was flirting behind me.

(Sugar POV)

Sitting up I stretched my arms above my head before wiping my eyes. "I'll have to ensure the crows’ nest on the next ship is big enough for a bed, it's nice being this high." 

Slowly I stood up and looked around. "Nighttime already?" 

'Oh well, it's not like I'm able to have a sleep schedule on this ship.' As I held onto the railings of the crows’ nest I hoisted myself over, before hitting the ground I kicked the air to soften my landing.

"I guess I should start." With this in mind, I began to stretch my body, ensuring all my limbs were as nimble as possible, just as I was about to begin my exercise I noticed something on the horizon.

"Is that a ship?" The closer the object got the more I felt my lips rise.

"Good, I needed more money for the soundproofing, thank you for graciously offering to pay for it, random pirates." As the ship came near us I could see people on the deck, all carrying weapons while watching our ship.

"That should be close enough, gotta make this fast so I don't get left behind." Standing on the edge of our ship I transformed my body and leaped across our ships, landing on theirs and before anyone could react I breathed fire from my nose, all of the pirates on the deck burned to a crisp instantly.

'They're pretty weak, I wonder what gave them the idea to attack us?' I didn't have time to think for long as a person with extremely long arms came walking out onto the deck. 

Just as he was about to yell he noticed me, then the state of his crew. "Wha-."

I didn't give him enough time to question the scene in front of him as I pierced him in the chest. Pulling my head back I transformed back to my normal self then walked past the long-armed person as he fell to the ground, bleeding from multiple holes.

"Hopefully you have enough money, I really want to be able to sleep in my bed." After I searched the ship and gathered all of the berries and other valuables, I placed it all on the deck.

"I wish I could search more but time is running low." Looking in the direction my ship was sailing, I sighed as I moved everything onto some clean sheet I found, transforming again I carried the sheet with my mouth before leaping back onto my ship.

'Let's see what we have.' Transforming back I untied the sheet and began to count my haul.

"SHUSHUSHUSHU! YES!" I was so excited while jumping up and down as I imagined being able to peacefully sleep in my bed again, that I failed to notice the figure in the shadows of the ship who held a rifle as they watched me celebrate.

The next morning when everyone was up Emma and Robin finally came out of their room for breakfast.

"Oh, you got some new meat. I'll make breakfast tacos then." 

Before Emma could wash her hands I stopped her. "I coincidentally stumbled upon some treasure last night, we're buying material to soundproof the walls on the next island." 

It seemed like she was about to say something stupid so before she could I cut her off. "Yes, it's that bad, I've been sleeping in the crows’ nest for weeks now just so that I could have some peace and quiet." 

"Sorry about that, I try to muffle my voice but Robin doesn-" Before she could finish an arm grew from her and covered her mouth. 

This just made her shrug as she began to wash her hands before starting to cook.

"We won't be doing anything until we reach the island so you can sleep in your room again." After Robin said that I could feel a smile creep onto my face. 

'Finally, one of them can't feel their lower half again.' Now in a good mood, I walked to the table, sat down, and waited for breakfast to be finished while I fantasized about sleeping in my bed tonight.

25