02. The Allfather
460 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Allfather


The world was silent. 

Color without tone, without stain. 

Is this, The Beginning or this is The End.

Time becomes meaningless as nothing changes.

Is this a creation or is this a destruction

A space fills with anything and nothing.

An anomaly.

and then light.

Nox Black gasp, trying to take as much air as possible. His body ached as every muscle in his body screamed in pain. He feels sick as if someone just flips his entire stomach. His head hurt like someone just hit him with a baseball bat. 

His body lay on the ground, his face looking up at the clear sky. He could feel the coldness of the snow with his body.

“... Snow?”

He pushed himself into a sitting position and look around.

“What just happen?” he murmurs.

He tried to remember the course of events until he came to this state.

Right, let's gather what we know,’ he thought 

“Okay,” he began, “So, I was in my home doing some reset when I get a call from the Clock Tower. They want me to do something about their rogue agent. The pay is nice so I take it. I then go to the airport, meet Sam, then go to Japan. Meet the nice lady. Have some briefing with the Head of Onmyō. Then go to the suspect place. As usual, it becomes a boss fight. And then ... here.”

He looked around to try to find out where he was.

“Where is here?”

He was in the middle of a forest, a pine forest, covered in a few centimeters of snow. His bag lying beside him. He checked his body and found that his body was fine, just a little sore and feeling a little cold.

“No external injuries.”

He takes his bag and starts checking.

“Let's see my phone, my note, a chain accessory, a few talismans, my athame, two vials of mercury, two empty vials, my tarot cards, my spare suit, my gloves, first aid, and some potion.”

He took his phone and then turned it on.

“No signal, figure.”

Nox sighs, “Seriously what just happening.” still trying to understand what just happened back in the warehouse. 

Sir. Gawen Hawkins was known for his expertise in Thaumaturgy and Summoning spirit, he was a leading figure in this subject. According to the investigation, before going rogue his colleagues claim that Hawkins was into something. But what? In the warehouse, he was doing something. While I can’t get the detail of the magic circle, I know it was something that had been used as an anchor in summoning spirit or divine being. But the line is wrong, some new elements contradict each other. Frankly, I'm amazed it doesn't collapse right away under its weight. It less looks like a summoning circle and more like … like … don’t tell me … “

His thoughts stopped when he heard a roar from the sky. He looked up and saw something he couldn't believe.

“A dragon,” he said in disbelief.

That's impossible, the last known Dragon died about five hundred years ago. An old dragon from a bygone era. But this one … it doesn’t look old.

The dragon was about 15 meters long from nose to tail, with a wingspan of about 12 meters from tip to tip. It has a slender body, with blackish silver scales. He flew gracefully as if he was the owner of this place.

And then something clicks in his head.

“... ha ha ha,” he laughs.

He doesn’t try to summon something. No, he tries to make a gate. An otherworld gate.’ he thought as he laughs louder.

Unfortunately, the dragon is now aware of his existence and he does not like his existence. So he roared and immediately swooped down.

“GRAAAAAAA”

Nox snape out of his thoughts and started preparing to fight.

I've always wanted a part of a dragon.

[Mass gravitas reductio.]

(Weight Reduction, Mass Decrease)

When it is near the dragon immediately spitfires. Setting fire to the forest where he was standing.

Nox easily dodged it and see the immediate destruction.

Hmm, normal fire without unusual properties.’

The dragon who saw his attack failed to hit its target roared in anger and then tried to do it again.

“GRAAAAAAAA”

“Why are you so angry?”

With a flick of his finger, explosions appeared around the dragon. The dragon emerged from the smoke unharmed and furious, he roared at his assailant. 

“As expected from a dragon, you are tough.”

As the dragon came closer with his eyes full of fury and with an open jaw full of sharp teeth. Nox prepares his next spells.

[Gravitatem, terci contexit!]

(Gravity, unite threefold!)

The dragon suddenly fell from the sky due to the triple gravity he received. There was a loud boom sound as the dragon touched the ground accompanied by a roar filled with pain and anger.

Nox walked closer so that he could inspect the dragon. The closer he got to the dragon, the more obvious his features became. Its scales were full of wounds, be it from the claws or fangs of another dragon or the marks of swords and arrows.

The dragon growled trying to stand up without success and could only move its head slightly. He manages to aim his head at his attacker and then spit out his dragon flame. 

Nox who realizes what he was doing invokes another spell.

[Moenia, quinquepartita expansio!]

(Rampart, fivefold expansion!)

Five-layer shields made of magic circles appear in front of him. Protecting him from the dragon fire.

“Right, that’s enough.”

[Volvito!]

(Grovel!)

Another invisible force pushes the dragon to the ground, pinning it down.

The dragon can only growl at its attacker.

“Grrrrrrrr.”

Several ideas popped into Nox's head about what he could do with dragon organs or even live dragons, but those were all gone when he and the dragon looked each other in the eye.

“I see,” he said. 

“You are a proud creature, always on top, always a predator. Making you my familiar will bring a lot of trouble. Therefore, I will kill you and make sure your organs are put to the best possible use.”

The fire cracked around them. The dragon and Nox stared at each other for a moment until the dragon growled realizing what was going to happen to him and accept it.

“Grrrrrr”

“I’m glad you understand.”

Nox starts chanting the spell.

[Illustre carmen.]

(Illustrious spell.)

[Ad viginti transcribito.] 

(Transcribe up until number twenty.)

[Invocato Augoeides!]

(Invoke Augoeides!)

The dragon’s body was dismembered with what could be described as an invisible sword. blood flowed from his body dripping onto the ground. 

With a flick of his finger, Nox dispelled his gravity magic. He looked around, seeing the destruction caused by the dragon flames. Some trees were on fire, the snow melted showing the grass and bushes burned by the fire from the dragon. And with the next snap of his finger, he extinguished the flames around him.

Nox took a deep breath to calm himself. Then looked at the dragon's body pieces. he had only taken one step when something unexpected happened.

“What?!” is the only thing he can say when he sees the events happening before his eyes.

The dragon's body shattered into dust and left only a few parts of its body such as claws, teeth, some scales, a bit of blood, and a crystal. He also saw some reminiscing blood splatter begin to evaporate. Not wanting his new exotic material to evaporate he immediately took the vial from his bag and immediately took the dragon's blood that had not evaporated, in the end, he was only able to collect one vial.

He sighs, “huh, at least I still get some. After all, dragon blood is precious.”

He checked other items such as claws, teeth, and some scales. Seeing that it would not crumble to dust, he breathed a sigh of relief. The last thing he check was the crystal. His eyes widened when he realized what he was holding.

“... Magic Crystal. I’m holding A Dragon Magic Crystal!!”

At this point he lost it, he burst out laughing. Something he hasn’t done in years. Not after what happened many years ago.

“Haha, I never thought, how could this usual job turn into a mountain of gold! Oh, I have to thank you, Sir. Hawkins for doing it and to you old men for giving me this job.” he said happily.

“Oh, gods know how much I wanted to see real dragons in person ever since I found out that dragons exist. Only to be disappointed after learning that the last dragon died five hundred years ago because of your greed.”

“I thank any god or gods or divine beings out there for answering my prayers. I promise to fulfill any of your requests as long as they do not conflict with the oath I have taken, not to harm mankind.”

Suddenly a crow sounded loudly from beside me. He looked up and saw two crows perched on a branch near me. Their black fur made them visible among the leaves covered in snow. The two crows cawing again.

“Em, Hello?” He said to the crows as he felt something unusual about the two crows

“Ahems.” A coughed voice came from behind him.

He turned around and saw an old man with a long beard and one of his eyes covered with an eye patch. Wearing a robe and a broad gray hat, and holding a staff about two meters high. He looked like Gandalf if Gandalf was a little younger and wore a blindfold.

They both fell silent as he watched the old man he did the same, trying to figure out who he was.  But Nox knew that the old man is powerful and so become dangerous. 

The old man isn’t human. No man can have that kinda aura.’ he thought.

“How long have you been there?” Nox asked.

“Since you ranting about job and gods,” he answered, clearly amused by his act.

“I see,” I see. ‘ah so embarrassing

They are both silents again.

“Tell me, young man,” the old man begins, “which Familia are you come from?”

“ … What?” He said as he doesn’t understand the question.

“Which Familia are you come from?”

“... What do you mean by ‘Familia’? Are you asking me about my affiliation?” he asked back because he was not familiar with that term.

The old man makes a quizzical face, “No, I mean Familia? Which gods that give you Falna?”

“Again, another unfamiliar term. I don’t know what you talking about. Are you talking about my belief?” 

There was silence once more.

“Then how did you take down the dragon earlier?”

“Emm, I use my magic.”

“and how you can use your magic?”

“Study and practice.”

“Without the aid of Falna?”

“Again, I don’t even know what ‘Falna’ is!”

another silence was broken by a caw from one of the crows.

“Who are you mysterious mage?” the old man asked.

Should I lie? No, I don’t think this ‘old man’ will take kindly.’ Nox thought.

“I am Nox Black, A Magician. Who are you, Old man?”

“My name is Odin.”

Nox paused, his eyes narrowed “You name yourself a god?” 

“I am a god.” 

another silent.

“You don’t believe me don’t you?”

“... I have met someone who claims to have attained divinity, and he was a mad man.”

“Yet I’m the real one.”

“... Proof it”

The old man stares at Nox’s eyes and seemingly talks to himself, “I guess it's okay for a moment.”

Suddenly the old man's attitude changed. Nox reflexively took a step back and positioned himself ready for anything. His aura changes to become older, more ancient. Eather leaked from his body. There was a sudden increase in mana as if they were standing in the middle of the ley line. It all happened for just a few seconds but for someone as sensitive to mana as Nox, it felt like much longer than just a few seconds.

"Right," Nox gulped, "I think that's enough."

“Good, it would be more troublesome if it took longer.”

Nox rubs his temples feeling a headache coming. “I have so many questions.”

"Me too. But this is not a good place to do it. Come on, I'll show you my place." he said as he turned and started walking away.

Nox then started walking after the Norse god

The old man, Odin, put his empty glass on the table.

“Well,” he began, “it's a long story, but I would say it's one of the most interesting stories I’ve heard in a long time,” he said as he took notes in his book which was taken in the middle of my story. 

“Yes, I agree.” I massaged my head, feeling a headache coming.

“A Magician came from a world beyond ours. Interesting.” Odin’s face lit up with glee

“... I'm surprised that you just believed me like that.”

“I’m god. No mortal can lie before gods.” as he takes a sip of his tea.

“And why is that?” my head tilts slightly.

“That's because of our relationship with the soul, managing the soul is one of our duty.”

“Ah, that makes sense. You are Odin after all, managing soul is kinda your thing.”

“... Now I’m curious, you are supposed to be coming from another world. But somehow you talk like you know me?” he pauses, “How is that possible?”

“Ah,” I said. 

Now that’s the question, isn’t it? How can other world gods have the same name and title as the gods from my world?’ I thought.

“Well, that's because in my world there is a god name Odin as well.”

“You mean there is my counterpart in your world?”

“I believe so. I mean, I never meet him before so …”

And isn’t that fascinating? the fact that this world god comes from Norse Pantheon. If I can return home this will be an incredible discovery.  A new wave of Magical discovery and maybe a chance for me to attain the Akashic Records. Yes, oh, the thought of ...

“So what is he like?”   

“... Sorry?” his question interrupts my thoughts.

“The other Odin, what is he like in your world?” I can feel the curiosity in his eyes.

“Let's see,” I paused for a moment as I tried to decide what to say.

As Odin take another sip as I began to talk

“In Norse mythology, you are known as King of the Æsir alongside Goddess Frigg as your wife.”

Odin chokes at this but I keep going.

“You also mostly associate with wisdom, healing, death, royalty, the gallows, knowledge, war, battle, victory, sorcery, poetry, frenzy, and the runic alphabet. You also know by hundreds of names such as Aldafaðr, Aldagautr, Alföðr, Algingautr, Angan Friggjar…”

“Okay stop!” He said as he wipe his mouth.

“I don’t want you to say more of my embarrassing titles!” he said rather stern.

“Okay, I will not say more of your embarrassing titles … Faðmbyggvir Friggjar.”

“Gyaaaa …” He said, as his ears become slightly red, and start to act like an innocent high school kid, embarrassed to be caught making out with his girlfriend.

The sight that Nox see was quite shocking. I mean sure, sometimes the god’s name/title is kinda over the top like it was written by someone who still has chuunibyo. But it is still god’s name. A name has power and a gods/goddess name is a powerful one. Although watching his behavior was fun, Nox's mind was focused on other things. 

The fact that he did not deny it means that this ‘Odin’ is at least has some connection with ‘Odin’ in my original world. Maybe the gods came from the same origin and then experienced an alteration when entering a certain world? Hmm, food for thought.

“Ok back on topic. I've told my story. Now it's my turn to ask, right?” I said

Odin stop being childish and back to being serious.

“Yes, I believe you have the right to do that,” he said with a nod.

“So, first question. Where are we?”

“We are in the place called the Dragon Valley. A place located in the northernmost part of the continent.”

“Ah, so this is not Asgard?”

“No, we are in the Lower World, Genkai. My domain, Asgard, was in the Upper World, Tenkai,” he explain.

“Okay, so why are you here in the Lower World, Instead of Asgard?”

“Hmm, for fun,” he said with his sparkling eye.

I blink once, twice. “What do you mean ‘for fun’?”

“Right, I will give you a short summary of this world,” he said as if he got a sudden revelation.

“Ahems. In the beginning,” he started with a deep voice like a narrator. 

“When the mortal world is still young, monsters roam freely on the surface of the world. Even with Human tenacity, Elf magic, Pallum skills, Dwarf weapons, and the strength of Demi-Human. They don’t stand a chance. It was the Age of Chaos. So the gods create a new race to help mortals fight. That was how the race knows as Spirit was born. They are essentially our children, helping mortal again monster even bless some individual to gain power beyond what mortal can achieve. And so Heroes are born and the Age of Hero begins. With this new power, they begin to push back Monster to a place where all Monster came from. The Dungeon. They managed to corner the monsters back to where they came from. But the price they have to pay is very high. Too many died and they couldn't hold them forever. Something must be done. And so, a small group of gods led by Ouranos, Me, and a few others devises a plan. The plan was to go to the Lower World and bless the mortal. A Falna. Under the pretext of having fun, many gods will join us and mortals will have a chance to fight back. And so begin the Age of gods. The ends.”

I stay silent and just stare at him. “That is surprisingly insightful, although I have a few questions.”

“Then ask away child,” he said in an overly dramatic pose.

“Did you need to do that? With all the light and the music? Like seriously where do you get that gramophone.”

“Of course, it is important,” Odin said in his most deadpan voice.

“You enjoying this aren’t you?”

“Very” as he giggled like a child.

I sigh, “Haah, whatever, anyways the last part is kinda concerning. For your information, in my world whenever gods play with humans it usually never ends well. Especially for the humans”

“Yes, almost everyone including many gods only knows that we came here just for fun. That we are just very bored. So don't tell anyone about our little plan. And I admit for some of us, the definition of having fun is somewhat ... questionable.”

“And you also mentioned Ouranos. As in Ouranos the god of the sky from the Greek Pantheon? The same place where the Olympians came from?”

“Oh, you know about them as well.”

I blink a few times as I try to understand what he just say. I looked at the clock, then at him.

“... You don't mind if we talk until midnight. This conversation suddenly became very interesting.”

“Yes, I can do that. Though there is something I want to tell you before we continue,” he said seriously which caught me off guard.

“... okay, what is it?”

“I want to give you an offer.”

“An offer?” I tilt my head slightly.

“Yes an offer, you can decline it if you want. You don't have to answer now and if you don't want to that's fine. We will continue our discussion regardless of your choice.”

I nod, as I understand that he doesn’t want to give any pressure.

“Okay, what is it?”

“I want to give you my Falna.”

 

11