03. The Allfather (02)
384 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Allfather (2)


The god, Odin, looked into Nox's eyes and spoke his words.

“I want to give you my Falna.”

The gravity of his words made the whole room fell silent as we both stared at each other for a few moments. The two crows that keep making cawing sounds for the entire time we talk become silent, even the fire from the fireplace stops making creaking sounds. 

Nox closed his eyes to calm himself as he understood what Odin was trying to say. This is not just as simple as giving a gift to others. No, this is a bargain between a god and a man. 

“Why?” Nox asks as he knows that there is something more as it usually does in the case of a magical contract. So there is something that this god wants from Nox.

He raised his arm and showed Nox his two fingers, “there are two reasons.” he said.

“The first one is that I'm interested in you.”

“What do you …”

Odin raised his hand telling Nox to stop and let him finish what he wanted to say. Nox closes his mouth and gives him a nod, telling Odin that he understands.

“As I said, I am interested in you. Specifically in you and your world.” Odin paused to see if Nox was still following him. Nox gives him a nod to continue.

“The first thing you should know about Falna is that it is not just a power boost. Even if many people and most gods treated Falna just like that. Falna itself was a window to the soul. It lets us, gods, see what kind of person you are. As the soul was the representative of your life. By giving you my Falna I will be able to see what kinda person you are and to a certain extent, and to see your world. It’s not a perfect one but at least I get the idea of what your world looks like.” he paused, to let Nox digest what he had just said before he continued. 

“The second one is that I want you to become my eyes and my ears,” Odin stated.

"You want me to become your agent?" Nox’s stated as his eyes become a little wider. He never thought his next job will come from a god, From Odin himself. 

“Yes, sort of. I already told you about our plan to help mortals by descending to the Lower World and bestowing blessings on them, right?” Odin begins. “And to make the plan work, we needed the approval of every god and goddess, so we disguised it as a way to have fun. We also made a rule to seal our power, known as Arcanum, and those who violate it must return to the Upper World and never return to the Lower World.” he paused again for a second as he try to form his next words and then continue.

“Unfortunately, when we descended we got ... mixed results. Some gods want to help mortals, others just want to have fun, but some of us just want chaos.” he paused again so that Nox can absorb this new information.

“Yes, I can see that happening,” Nox said with a nod. 

“Right, at first this plan seemed to work. Ouranos used his Arcanum to seal the Dungeon. We built the Tower of Babel to seal the entrance. And the city of Adventure, known as Orario, was born around it as the first line of defense in case something happened. Those whom we blessed, we call it Adventure, managed to push the monster deep into the Dungeon. Things were looking great, with Zeus and Hera Familia hosting many high-level Adventures to become the strongest Familia known in history. But that changed when the two got the so-called Three Great Quest. They are tasked with killing three monsters namely Leviathan, Behemoth, and The One-Eye Black Dragon. They managed to kill the first two but the third killed a lot of them.” he pauses, and when he continues there is a wave of anger and disgust in his voice. 

“With their disappearance comes a power vacuum and that's where a group of gods knows as Evilus comes with their objections to create chaos and to recreate the world where Monsters roam freely on the surface." he stops to take a deep breath and to calm himself. “For now, their group had been destroyed and only a few remained. But their existence has still posed some threats. and that’s where you came in.”

“And what exactly do you want me to do?” Nox asked though he can guess what Odin wants. 

Odin smirks, “I want you to go to Orario and become my informant and find any information about Evilus, stop and destroy them if you can.”

“and you think I can do that?” as Nox raised one of his eyebrows.

Odin just laughs, “Hah, you can take down a dragon without Falna by yourself, without even breaking a sweat too.”

“I can still get overwhelmed,” Nox argue.

“If that happens I will ask Thor and his Familia to help you. Besides other gods in the city will help you as well.” Odin counter back.

“And who are these other gods?” 

“Well, there is Ganesha. He's in charge of the city's security. He will help you when it comes to public safety. There was also the current top Familia. Freyja and Loki, though we need to convince those two women to help us.” Odin said as he mumbling something.

“I see … Wait, those two women?” Nox was surprised that the change between his original world and this world was in that part.

“Yeah well, back in Asgard Freyja always act like a queen. And Loki, well she always doing whatever she wants. They also only care for their ‘toys’,” Odin pauses, then smirk as he reminisces. “So yeah a lot of convincing to make them move.”

“I see,” Nox said though half of his mind is thinking something else. ‘Loki is a woman’. “... Wait, then why not just ask them? surely they can do that right?” he asked because he feel there is something more that makes him do this instead of doing just that.

“No, the political situation in Orario has just recovered and is not yet stable. Ganesha’s force is spread too thin, to do anything drastic. And while currently, the most powerful Familia is Freyja and Loki they are not as strong as Zeus and Hera Familia back when they were still the top dog. There is also the fact that both of them don't have a good relationship with each other.” he said gravely. “there also a chance other Familia will use this as a way to climb the ladder of power.”

“... I'm surprised the city hasn't fallen into anarchy yet.” It was Nox’s honest opinion, if what he said was true then the situation was quite grim. He knows that politics often brings problems rather than solves problems, but this is more problematic than the politics of his homeworld. “So what will I get?” Nox finally ask.

“First you will get my Falna that for sure. You will also get help from Ouranos as he was the leader of the Guild, the organization that manages the Dungeon. He will give you full support if it is for the safety of the city and the Dungeon, so you don’t need to worry for your everyday life so long you in Orario.”

“... and what if I don’t want to do this?”

The atmosphere becomes tense as they both become silent.

“Nothing,” Odin said with a calm voice.

“Nothing?” Nox repeats as he expecting more

“Yes nothing,” he chuckled. “we still can continue our discussion if you want.” 

“ … You not gonna … I don’t no … do something?” 

“Pfff, why should I do that? Technically you are an Outsider. You have any right to decline my demand. Besides you are my guest, I’m not gonna do anything to my guest.”

“I still could jeopardize your plan.”

He smirks, “from what I see you won’t do it.”

“Is that so?” Nox said still not convinced.

“Yes. Although I will still offer you my Falna.”

“Because you want to see my memory?” Nox eyes narrow.

“No, for a payment.” 

“What payment?” Nox looked up at Odin quizzically.

“for the knowledge.”

“Knowledge? you mean my story?”

“Yes, that and our next discussion.”

“... why?”

“Because I know the importance of knowledge. If I want to know something, I will go to someone who knows. If they ask for something in return, then I will give them what they want. Even if they don’t ask, I still will give them something. That's what I did in Tenkai and what I will continue to do here.”

Nox looked into his eye and realized he believed what he was saying. This is what defines him. Odin, the god of wanderers. A god who would sacrifice one of his eyes for knowledge. The tense atmosphere began to dissipate and returned to a more comfortable one.

“Also Falna will make you less stand out. You should know that in this world the only way to obtain magic is through Falna or else you are born as an Elf. Because you are not one of them, you are an anomaly. The other gods will not leave you alone when they find out about your existence. And believe me, you don’t want that to happen. You can still decline it and I will give you something else.” Odin stated.

“I … Thank you …” Nox said slowly as this usually doesn't happen to him when negotiating between magic users. They always wanted something in return, at least an equivalent exchange. He takes another breath to calm himself. “I will need time to think about this,” he stated.

“Yes, I understand. Now, let’s change the topic, shall we?”

Nox gave him a little smile, “Yes, let just do that.”

“Now if I remember correctly we going to talk about the Olympians, right?”

“Yes, though maybe we should talk about the Æsir. Like, why you call Loki a woman?”

Odin makes a confused look, “What do you …” he stop as the realization came to him. His eye widens and a smirk forms on his face, “So, how is she in your world?” he asks.

Nox’s smile grew wider, ‘oh, this going to be interesting,’ he thought. 

“Well, for starter Loki is a He.”

The sunrise from the east, ending the night by bringing light to this world. The gleam of the newly formed white snow in the morning sun with the chirping of birds graced the scene. It's a beautiful sight that many people will love to see …

“GRAAAAA,” a roar of monster can be heard in the distance.

… well, as long as they can tolerate some monsters and dragons.

Although Odin was still asleep in his room, Nox had been awake around an hour before sunrise. The two of them were still a little tired after spending the whole night discussing and comparing the nature of the two worlds. 

Nox managed to find many interesting things when comparing the gods from his world with this world. From their nature, their place in 'Tenkai', or the fact that some of these gods having a gender bender compare to his world.

He was sitting in a chair on the veranda. Though he looked like he was enjoying the view his head was full of thoughts about his next plan, weigh the options he has.

His goal right now is to learn as much and as possible about this world. For his goal to attain the Akashi Record, this world may offer some answers that he needs. For this, three places can be chosen. Orario, Altena, and The Empire. Each of these places is a superpower on its own and has its problems.

Orario was the center of the world, home of many gods. The Dungeon City. And because of this, if there is a World End Scenario this place is as lucky as Golden Gate Bridge in every disaster/monster movie. It also doesn’t help that the political situation in the city is probably still unstable.

Altena was a country of magic. They may have the answer that he looking for. The problem is that the way of thinking of their people about magic is rather … old-fashioned. There is also a chance that they see him as a heretical rather than an innovator. He met a fanatic once, an experience he doesn't want to experience again.

Then there is The Empire. Another superpower in this world. While they maybe can provide him with all he needs, their militaristic and expansive policies were not something he liked. The worst-case scenario was that he would get drafted and send it into another war.

He sighed, creating a white cloud that came out of his mouth as a result of the cold air. 

The first option is to just accept the offer from Odin. In this strange new world, having some backup can help. Normally Nox wouldn't be able to trust other people easily, let alone entities from another world. But, after a night of talking with Odin, he knew that this god loved the inhabitants of this world. So to some extent, he believed in Odin.

The second option is to just go alone. Odin himself said that he was an outsider, he was under no obligation to get involved in the affairs of this world. Then he needs to choose from the three destinations. If he chooses Orario, might as well choose the first option. Considering he would probably be dragged into a power struggle in this city, might as well jump in with preparation rather than just charging in blindly. 

If he chose the other two options, he would need to find a way to hide his identity for as long as possible. In his world doing such a thing was easy, because there was a whole world built on the concept of secrecy. But here, he is alone. There was no connection he could rely on in this world.

Some might think his presence here was his destiny, to become a kind of hero, the protagonist of this story. But that’s just a show of hubris. The reason why he ends up here is because of an accident and because he was careless. He was just an ordinary teenager who knew about magic and knew about the shadow world. He knows if you stare into the abyss, the abyss will stare back at you, and in the world of shadows, its claws will be drag you down. 

He sighs tiredly and closes his eyes. He kept weighing his options trying to think of the best way or at least the thing that would bring him as little trouble.

The young boy remembers the first time he sees magic. He is four years old and what he saw amazed him. It was just some floating crystals. Their various colors glow, producing light of various colors that fill the room. It was a simple trick but for him it was beautiful. 

He wants to do it so he begs his father to teach him. His father clearly look amused, said that it would be very difficult. But he doesn't care, he wants to learn, he wants to do it. So the father teaches, and the boy learns. It was hard and painful, but the boy doesn’t care. He was very happy to learn. He was happy.

Nox jolted awake, his eyes widened as he scanned his surroundings. 

“Groak.” a croaking sound came from his right.

He looked to the side and see a raven perched on the armrest of the chair beside him.

“Groak.” he makes another sound.

“Emm, helo?” Nox says not sure what the raven wants. He slowly reached to the raven trying to pet it and strangely he allowed it even liked it.

Nox chuckled and said, “you are a strange one, you know that?” and the only thing he got is a purring sound like a cat.

The cabin door opened and revealed Odin. He looked to the side and found that Nox was sitting in one of the chairs on the veranda petting a raven.

“I thought you were gone,” Odin said. For a moment there was a worried expression on his face, but it disappeared as quickly as it came. “this place is more dangerous when at night.”

Nox smiles at him reassuringly, “I wasn't that rude leaving without telling or thanking the owner of the house.”

“That means you will join for breakfast” Odin stated.

“Yes, but I want to talk about your request.” Nox said.

Odin stays for a moment and stares at Nox’s eyes. “go on,” he said.

“Before I can answer your request you should know that I am still looking my way to return home. If while I take your request I find my way home will you allow me to go home?”

“yes, I have told you that you have any right to decline my demand. I will not force you to do something that you don’t want.”

“Then Odin, the Allfather. I, Nox Black, accepted your request. To be your envoy, to be your agent. Know that I am just a human with my limitation but as long as I am able, I will carry out my duties until I am no longer needed.” Nox said as he kneeling on one leg

“Nox Black. I, Odin, accepted your oath.” Odin said with a dignified voice. After a few seconds, Odin asked, “did you need to do this?”

Nox looks up so he can see Odin’s face from his kneeling position. “maybe. Bet you like it.” he said cheekily.

Odin groan and cover his face with his hands, “a little bit,” he said in low voice. “You will never do it again especially in front of other people, got it?” he said with a firm voice.

“Of course, My Lord.” Nox said with an exaggerated move just to make fun of him.

Odin groans tiredly, “Stop it!” he said as he walks into the cabin.

Nox chuckled as he follow him, “okay, fine. So, what’s next?” he asked.

“I’m going to give you my Falna,” Odin said.

“and how you gonna do it?” Nox asked, feeling very excited because he wants to know how it works. From how Odin describes it, Falna doesn’t look like any magical contract that has some effect similar in his world.   

“First, take off your shirt and sit there,” Odin said as he pointed towards the chair. “all you need to do is drip a drop of my blood down to your back.”

“Your blood? Do you mean an Ichor?” Nox surprise, such an item was just a rumor in his world. Even if such an item exists, it was not a real ‘Inchor’ rather it was just a name of a potion. 

“Yes, now do what I say,” Odin said, while he search for a knife.

Nox does what he says. He took off his shirt, then sat in a position hugging the back of the chair which made him show his back.

Odin returned with a knife and a piece of paper and sit behind him.

“Will it hurt?” Nox asked.

“No,” answer Odin as he cut the tip of his index finger then dripped his blood on Nox's back. 

Nox's back started to glow blue. A tattoo in the form of three interlocking triangles, Valknuts, surrounded by runes began to form on his back.

“Ohh…” Odin said.

“Oh? Is something wrong?” Nox asked.

“No, it’s nothing,” Odin said but his face is smiling. He stuck the sheet of paper to his back until the light disappeared before taking it back. “It’s done,” he said.

When Nox was putting his clothes back on, Odin was still reading the sheet of paper that had just been pasted on Nox's back.

Odin gave the piece of paper to Nox so he could read it, “Okay, it's official, welcome to the Odin Familia.” he said.

Nox took the paper and began to read its contents. his eyes widened and he only said one word, “What…?”

 

10