Chapter 7: Black market dealings
1.6k 10 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I boot up my old laptop and type: “Black market Tokyo” into google, but I pause before hitting enter... Wouldn’t they arrest me if they look at my search history? Besides, a black market is supposed to be secretive right? No way there would be any information on the internet…

But I’m out of options, I don’t have many acquaintances and none that are well informed about the world of Machia… Fuck it, the Japanese government wouldn’t spy on their own citizens right… right?

I hit enter and immediately get a bunch of movie and manga recommendations that have the words ‘black market’ in their title. I click to the second search page and finally find an interesting news-headline: ‘Black market dealings in Tokyo tolerated by the government?’. After clicking the link, I’m now nervously reading through the article, it almost feels as if I’m doing something illegal.

The article talks about a certain black market located in the backstreets of Fukagawa. Apparently it’s controlled by a Platinum [I] Machia and so the government ignores it.

Guess I’m heading to Fukagawa then… Before I head out though, I quickly put on a black hoodie and some sunglasses. I don’t want to be recognized after all.

Three busses later I finally arrive at Fukagawa, I’m nervous, very nervous actually… who wouldn’t be? I brought a card containing my entire fortune and I have no way to defend myself… Worrying won’t help me here, let’s just quickly buy a cartridge and get out.

I enter the backstreets of Fukagawa and I’m immediately greeted by two tough looking guys in black suits asking me for my chip-mark.

I show them the chip implant on my chest and get let in. Looks like the black market is indeed less secretive than I originally thought.

The black market itself looks pretty amazing though, you can see a bunch of holograms and neon signs advertising all different sorts of thing, mostly drugs though… On the ground there are also a bunch of peddlers displaying their wares on carpets and blankets. The streets are pretty cramped and hard to walk through because of them.

I spot a neon sign in the distance advertising: “quality cartridges”. I gather my courage and head inside. I’m greeted by a grumpy looking old guy sitting behind the register. The shelves on the wall are filled with all kinds of cartridges, even some purple ones!

“Can I help you with something young’un?”

“Ye…“ - I stop myself and deepen my voice, I don’t want to be recognized - “Yeah, I was looking for cheap cartridges. Could you tell me the price of the cheapest cartridge in your shop.”

*SIGH* “Should’ve just gon to one of those street peddlers kid. Do you even know who owns this shop?... Well, a customer is a customer I guess. Our cheapest cartridge would be an unknown yellow one. We sell them at the minimum black-market price and our quality is guaranteed. You can buy one for just 140 U-coins."

Shit, I only have 120 U-coins… no, I can’t give up here. I’ll sell my left testicle if I have to! I won’t be content with mediocracy anymore. This will be the starting point for me to turn it all around!

C-Can you maybe give me a discount mister?

*SIGH* “What’s your budget?”

120…

“Sorry, kid not gonna happen.”

W-Wait, I can sell my-

“Before you finish that sentence kid, we don’t dabble in the human-body-parts-sector here.”

Dammit… T-Then how about you see this as an investment?

The old man looks like he’s considering my offer and is stroking his beard.

“An investment eh? What can you offer us? You only have 120 U-coins to your name, I don’t see how you can make it worthwhile for us, even If we give you the cartridge for free…”

I’m a student at the Machia university of Tokyo, if you give me this cartridge for only 120 U-coins, I promise I’ll pay you back double after I become a professional Machia!

“And what if you don’t become one? Besides, this isn’t the place for a student such as yourself, you better leave kid.”

Y-You can have my left testicle if I don’t become a professional Machia and pay you back!

“Why would I even want that ?! leave now, or I won’t be as nice the next time I ask you!”

I now feel a suppressive aura coming from the old man, looks like he’s serious this time.

Fuck! Why does no one believe in me?! *SIGH* Let’s just head to the next cartridge shop…

“WAIT!”

I turn around and see a beautiful, mature lady with big boobs and silky black hair walk down the stairs, she’s wearing a sexy short red dress. The old guy also looks shocked:

“M-Madam, what are you doing here? Don’t worry, I’ll take care of this situation immediately.”

“Oh shut up geezer, I came here for that boy over there. He said some rather interesting things…”

This lady has the air of someone in a high position, even that old guy is suddenly being polite.

M-Me?”

“Yeah, I’m interested in your investment offer, but I do want to make a few slight changes. Instead of your testicle, I want you to become a slave for my company if you don’t succeed. I also don’t want you to pay me back double, but you’ll have to do me a favor once you become a professional Machia and there’s also a time limit of 2 years. How does that sound boy?”

55