Chapter 21: Mana-conversion
1.3k 13 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After analyzing the cartridge for a couple of hours and writing some stuff down, I discovered a few things about mana-cultivation.

The code it uses is definitely more high level than the fireball one. It has three modifiers instead of two and uses some more abstract concepts.

From what I gathered, it seems like mana-cultivation can be divided in three distinct actions.

You first have to detect some kind of energy source, then you have to collect it and then you convert it into mana.

Sara’s cartridge converts from atmospheric radiation and heat, no wonder it’s pretty slow, those aren’t very rich energy sources.

Looks like she absorbs the radiation and heat through her skin, that would explain why she cultivates naked… Thank god she has to be naked… NO! Don’t get distracted!

The question that now remains is: from which energy source should I convert?

The obvious choice would be electricity… But I don’t know how much I would need and if it’s even safe for me to just jam my fingers into the socket… It might also draw suspicion if our dorm suddenly draws enough electricity to power an entire neighboorhood, not to mention our electricity bill…

Energy from the sun could perhaps work, plants use sunlight all the time right? It would cut my cultivation-time in two though since I can’t practice at night…

Let’s sleep on it for a while.

After a good night’s rest, I thought up a brilliant solution if I do say so myself. Food! My body already converts it into energy, it has been doing so for 21 years! It should be fairly efficient, plus the cafeteria food in our campus is pretty cheap as well. I might even lose some weight, killing two birds with one stone, well not like I had much fat to begin with, but still.

*KNOCK* *KNOCK*

“Food is ready Reo!”

To my surprise, I heard Sara’s voice calling to me instead of Juniper’s.

“Coming!”

After getting dressed I head to the dinner table where Juniper’s already seated.

I sit down and Sara immediately puts a plate with some toast in front of me.

“Well, what do you think?”

“What do I think of what?”

“Of my cooking skills of course, here take a bite... D-Don’t get me wrong, Juniper told me she did this with you yesterday and gained some points.”

Sara’s holding a dry piece of toast in front of my mouth.

“You call this cooking? Didn’t you just use the toaste-“

Before I could finish my sentence she jams the piece of toast into my throat.

“And? D E L I C I O U S   R I G H T?”

I’m afraid if I say anything besides ‘yes’, she’ll skewer me on an icicle like a shish-kebab.

While trying to avoid this faith, with my mouth still full of toast:

“Mofcwourse, vmewy dewisious *AHEM* t-thanks Sara.”

*PA-DING*

Looks like even forced camaraderie counts.

“Te-he, ow stop it Reo, don’t try and flatter me like that.”

Juniper is watching us in horror as she tries to consume the almost burnt piece of dry toast in front of her.

“A-Anyways, thanks for the cartridge Sara.”

“No problem, you also held up your end of the bargain. I’m sorry you had to witness such an unsightly scene at the end though.”

 “No I don’t mind, no family is perfect… Also, I have a tip for you, it’s about your mana-cultivation method.”

We both remember the naked yoga scene and begin to blush.

“D-Don’t mention that again pervert! In fact, just erase it from your memory! Jeez, just as was beginning to see you in a different light… pervert.”

Juniper looks confused, still munching on her piece of toast like a cute hamster.

“No look, I just wanted to tell you that you might achieve a better cultivation result if you train in a hot room… Maybe try turning on the heater?”

“And how would you know that pervert?”

“J-Just trust me okay? It can’t hurt to try right?”

“F-Fine…”

There was an awkward silence…

“I-I’m going to hang out with friends now. Don’t try anything funny with Juniper while I’m gone.”

“Oh please, I would still try and flirt with her even if you were present.”

 “W-Whatever! I don’t care anymore!”

She slams the door on her way out.

*BA-BWUHH*

*SIGH* “How does she even have friends to hang out with in the first place?”

“She’s not hanging out with friends.”

Juniper suddenly starts talking:

“She’s probably going to the library to study.”

“Oh? And how would you know that Juniper?”

“W-Well I also happen to frequent that library…”

I look at her with suspicion.

“O-Okay fine! I’m also a loner… Happy now?”

She’s pouting, how adorable.

48