Chapter 41: A checkered past
944 11 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sit back down on the couch, Juniper is so close that I can feel her breath on my neck.

“It’s not really an interesting story though…”

“No, I want to hear it Juniper.”

“O-Okay… When I was still a little girl, me and my family still lived in Russia. My dad owned a small convenience store, my older brother helped him with the finances and me and mom would take care of the house. We lived relatively frugal, we didn’t have a lot, but it was enough for us…”

She’s retelling her memories with a nostalgic smile, which slowly turns into a melancholic frown:

“But that didn’t last forever… When I just turned 16, my dad, one day… one day he couldn’t afford the protection fee for his convenience store anymore, he asked for a postponement, but they didn’t agree… *SNIFF* They thought it was a better idea to make an example out of him… They shot my dad, 8 times… And do you want to know what’s really stupid? *SNIFF* He couldn’t afford the protection fee that month because he wanted to buy a cake for my birthday… A birthday cake…”

I knew she must have had a difficult childhood, with the immigration and such, but I didn’t expect she already suffered so much in her home country. In comparison, I only have good memories of my time back home…

I can only hold her close to me right now… But to my surprise her story didn’t end there.

“The police didn’t investigate the case at all, since my dad wasn’t a bureaucrat or a Machia, much to the infuriation of my brother…”

That sure is relatable, the government only interferes when the public makes a big fuss or when they are pressured by a strong guild… The people became numb to murder, public order was only upheld by the fear of powerful Machia and a common enemy: the fiends that spewed out from the towers. The judicial system is a joke, corrupt enough to probably even free Hitler if he gave them enough U-Coins… Well, that did make killing Thompson easier for me though….

“Even though my mother used all her strength to stop my brother, he couldn’t contain his anger anymore and decided to take revenge on the gang that was extorting our neighborhood… *SNIFF* Six days later we received his decapitated head in the mail... He… He was only 18… My mom was scared that they would come after us, so she sold the store to our neighbors and we fled the country.”

She starts sobbing after telling her story, but she does look more relieved, I’m not quite sure what to say right now, so I just hold her… We stay like that for half an hour or so.

“I-I’m sorry that you had to see me like that Reo, but I’m glad I could finally tell someone about my story…”

“Don’t be sorry, that took a lot of courage. I know what it’s like to lose family, it’s something that you’ll always carry with you… I… I can’t take back what I did though, I’m sorry if it resurfaced any bad memories…”

“It’s okay, I know you didn’t make the decision lightly, my mom never blamed my brother for wanting revenge, she said that she understood his emotions. I’ve also been thinking more about it lately… I was a bit naïve. For example, I’m also unsure if could stop myself from killing a person if I was protecting someone I really care about.”

She lovingly stared at me when she said those last couple of words… D-Does she mean me?

“I would love to meet your mom sometime, she seems like a strong woman.”

“Yeah, I would like that too…”

Now that the mood was a little lighter, I noticed that I was still hugging Juniper.

“O-Oh, sorry, I’ll let go now ha-ha.”

“D-Don’t…”

She grabs my arms and puts them back around her.

I can see where this is going… While I’m excited for it, something doesn’t feel quite right, is it really okay to do this? My feelings are a mess right now…

“Look Juniper, I really like you, but I’m not sure that now is the best time.”

She playfully punches me on the chest.

“Oh come on, you’re overthinking it. Since when is it so wrong for two consenting adults to comfort each other? It’s rude to let the lady make the first move you know~”

She’s right, since when have I been so serious about this stuff? Let’s just have some fun.

“He-He, you asked for it.”

“Hiiii!”

I immediately picked her up and carried her to her room, after which I threw her on the bed.

“I’ve been waiting for this ever since I groped those beautiful breasts of yours.”

“I… I also wanted us to continue that. But you kept me waiting for so long… Mwhaahh, I won’t let you sleep tonight!”

After hearing those words, I couldn’t contain myself anymore and dove in. Thank you for the meal!

… No detailed sex scene unfortunately, I don’t really write smut... Use your imagination 😉

God, Juniper’s bed somehow slept 10x better than my own, or well, it could be because of the beauty who slept next to me. Surprisingly, she was still a virgin, looks like all that teasing was just an act. Suffice to say, she didn’t keep up for the entire night, but I still enjoyed it.

She really looks like a goddess when she’s sleeping, so peaceful. I decided to quietly make my way to the kitchen, I don’t want to wake her up, and I don’t want Sara to see me coming out of Juniper’s room.

Suddenly Juniper pokes her head out from her room in a panic, she darts her eyes around, but looks relieved when she finally finds me sitting at the dinner table. How cute, did she think I might have left her in the morning or something, did she forget I live in the same dorm?

After a longer time than usual, Juniper finally exits her room, looks like she put a lot of effort into her clothing and make-up.

“You look beautiful Juniper.”

“Really? Hehe…”

41