Chapter 45: Gauss cannon
808 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex told me to point both my palms forward while leaving a couple of centimeters between my forearms, sort of like the Kamehameha pose, before activating the magic within the red cartridge.

I did as I was told and after mentally activating the cartridge, my forearms suddenly started discharging electricity into a sort of cylinder-like structure between them, made up entirely out of lightning. As if this wasn’t amazing enough, a purplish arrowhead, about the size of a thumb, suddenly appeared at the beginning of said lightning-tube.

Everything stayed like that for maybe 2 seconds, before it suddenly shot the projectile forwards at an incredibly high speed. The projectile went straight through the target dummy and got stuck in the wall behind it, before evaporating altogether.

“Wait, Isn’t this basically a gun?”

*SIGH* “You really don’t know anything, how can you even compare such a primitive technology to magic? As you hopefully already know, a gun can’t even leave a dent on one of those fiends from the towers, let alone on a Machia who trained with a physical cultivation cartridge. But this lightning magic uses a special metal projectile, it will leave behind a hole this big.” – She holds her fingers apart at about the length of a toothpick – “Into any low-ranking fiend you shoot it at.”

Well, it did seem pretty powerful when I fired it… But when I analyzed the cartridge it just said something about infusing regular metal with mana, maybe that’s how it can leave such an impact behind, the projectile probably also evaporates because of the concentrated mana inside... I could perhaps use this for future programmed cartridges…

“Hey Alex, random question, what type of cartridge do you think I should buy for a mock battle with someone far above my level? I already have enough firepower, should I invest in defense or something?”

“Hmmm…. Though question… It would probably depend on your talent. But if you’re thinking about something more universal and cheap, a good movement-type magic would be key. Sure you could invest in a defensive magic, but if you’re fighting someone more powerful, he could probably attack you more times than you are able to defend. Meanwhile a movement technique could also help you pressure or surprise an opponent in addition to dodging his attacks. It would require better timing and skills on your end though…”

She’s right, I was also planning to program a better movement technique, ‘Shadow Steps’ is just too mana-consuming for me right now.

“Wow, you’re almost as smart as you’re pretty.”

“Oh please, like sucking up to me would work… I don’t mind advising you from time to time though.”

It most definitely worked, I could see her perfect cheeks blush red before she could turn away from me.

“Then I might take you up on that offer.”

“Well, I probably have a lot more to offer than you think~”

And she’s back to teasing me again, she recovers quite quickly, that’s probably why it’s so fun to talk to her…

“Anyways, thanks for preparing this for me, especially the ‘accidental’ extra cartridge you prepared. I’ll definitely come visit again to see how you’re doing.”

“You better! I haven’t fully repaid you yet for saving me back then… Look forwards to your reward handsome~”

She really is a bit foxy.

After putting my notebook into the dimensional tattoo, I wave Alex, who already started cleaning up, goodbye and head back upstairs.

“Done already brat? Don’t be so arrogant, you should cherish this opportunity more, go back and write some notes or something.”

“Already did old man, don’t worry about it. Although I would love to also try out some red cartridges~”

“You’re puppy-dog eyes ain’t gonna work on me kid…….. *SIGH* Take this.”

Right as I was about to leave, the old man throws me a cartridge, an orange one.

“Oh, what’s this?”

“I accidentally ordered too many of these cartridges, it just contains a cheap eye-of-truth magic though. I remembered you didn’t have one yet… You also could of course sell it, your choice kid…”

I shoot him an exaggerated endearing look, sort of like: ‘Aaaawww, how sweet.’

“D-Don’t look too deep into it brat, just take it as a ‘thank you’ for introducing such a useful assistant. That Alex turned out to be pretty capable after all.”

“Thanks Viktor, I’ll definitely use it!”

“Whatever, suit yourself I guess.”

Old-man-tsundere for the win! This magic lets me check other cartridges without inserting them into my chip-implant right? It might even be able to analyze equipment? It’ll definitely come in handy.

I’m dead-tired from trying all those different cartridges, but now I at least have a good idea about what I should program next. I also learned that it would definitely be better for me to keep the ‘water cutter’ cartridge a secret for now, since water-magic is usually defensive.

I finally reached the door of our dorm, I can finally relax! Or better yet, ‘relax’ some more with Juniper!

I was about to open the door with my key-card until I accidentally eavesdropped:

“Just let me try and cook for him once!”

“No! He prefers my cooking! If you’re just doing it to gather more points, it wouldn’t make a difference who cooks for him!”

“And why do you want to feed him so badly all of the sudden?!”

35