Chapter 1 – The Bored Scholar
36 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scholar walked the road, looking down and kicking at the dirt. Seemingly frustrated he continued to walk not looking where he was going at all. A single misstep and an fated rock sent him tumbling straight down.

"Damn it! Nothing is going right!" he stepped back and looked at the wall he crashed into. It turned out to be a Tea shop.

"I could use some tea to calm down here..." the scholar mumbled. Walking in he took a seat and looked around. It was a normal tea shop though it was surprisingly empty. It was small, probably commoner owned by the looks of it. Soon though from the door in the back opened and someone came out. She walked to the scholar's table and looked him over.

"Hey, are you the servant here?" the man asked agitated. "I need some black tea immediately. Goddamn terrible day this has been." he mumbled. the lady however didn't move and continued to stare at the man. "Hey, are you deaf? I asked for black tea? As this is a tea shop? It's simple instructions. I would like it as soon as possible if you don't mind." the scholar continued angrily. The lady looked up at the scholar straight in the eyes.

"You have the choice between two tea's, may I ask you some questions sir?" The lady said quietly, but it sounded loud because of how little noise was in the shop. "Huh? I said I wanted black tea if you didn't hear. I don't care for anything else." The scholar said becoming quite annoyed. "Sir your only option is between two tea's and for that you need to answer 5 questions." The lady was unphased by the scholars attitude. "You only have two tea's and they are no black tea here? What's the point of being a tea shop if not to soothe customers with the tea they like? huh?" The scholar was getting up, ready to leave.

"Sir, these two tea's are specialty tea's. If your not satisfied, you'll get a full refund." The lady was still unphased at the scholars attitude. The scholar calmed down a bit. "Oh? Specialty tea's? Sure then I suppose, what are the options?" The scholar calmed down from that statement. "Sir, you must answer 5 questions of mine truthfully to get your tea." The lady stoically said to him. "Sure, sure, what questions?" The scholar seemed unusually excited for the tea's.

"How is your current life?" She asked. Suddenly the scholar remembered the notepad the lady began holding. but he was sure she wasn't holding one when she came out of the back. a bit confused he answered, "Boring, I'm supposed to be a scholar but everything is so easy right now, I can't focus on anything." He nearly stood up after saying that, it seemed he didn't mean to tell her.

"How is everything easy for you?" She asked uninterrupted by the scholars shock. Again the scholar started talking but even he seemed surprised at what came out of his mouth."Scholars are looked up to for their knowledge and wisdom. I want to gain more, but I don't know what to do as everything has already been recorded, there's nothing for me to improve upon." The scholar clasped a hand over his mouth.

"Have you reached a bottleneck in your learning?" She asked him. "Yes." The scholar spoke with him mouth covered, and his hands were coming off his mouth, he seemed to be fighting something.

"The last question is two parts, Would you rather learn marvelous details or have an endlessly interested mind?" After she asked that the scholars hands fell from his face and he was in deep thought. He was silent for a moment before looking up straight into the eyes of the woman in front of him. "Details." The girl smiled, nodded, and briskly walked back through the back door, leaving the confused scholar sitting in his chair sweating.

 

 

After 30 minutes the lady returned holding a magnificent teapot and a single cup on a dark wooden tray. The scholar seemed to have calmed down and was looking at the girl suspiciously. "How did you make me talk like that?" he asked. she replied with a knowing smile, "You promised you'd answer my questions truthfully." and set the tray on the table with not another word. She delicately picked up the teapot and poured the anxious scholar a cup. He looked down at the swirling liquid with amazement. The scent flowed through the air and different shades of caramel could almost be seen. The scholar believed he was imagining it but who could tell, the girl's face showing nearly no emotion. "Enjoy your tea." was all that she said.

 

 

The scholar walked out of the tea house dazed, finally taking a seat near the garden district. What he had experienced could be relayed as a dream, if not for the new wonders he was seeing. Before today grass to him was just that grass, a common food for cattle. he plucked a leaf in awe, for now he could see that it wasn't ever that simple. He sighed. He had so much to learn.

 

 

 

A girl sitting on a simple stool, sat gazing into a cup, "For those who are stuck, a bit of Complexity helps soothe a bored mind."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes. This is gonna be a bunch of stories about wordplay.

 

3