Chapter 9: Calico Questions
2.3k 22 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I forgot to schedule this one and nearly missed posting it on the 2 week mark! Sorry about that!

It took longer than I expected to catch my breath, shuddering from all the adrenaline coursing through my system. There was an unpleasant tingling and itchy sensation from where the manikin had smacked me with the baton. Scratching it didn’t seem to make a difference. Oh well, it was tolerable for now, if only just. I could feel it slowly spreading to the rest of my body, however, and it was especially unpleasant when it reached my scalp. Maybe Alexis could look into it when she got back. 

 

I checked the timepiece on my suit, frowning as my changes apparently included a bit of shrinking and the sleeves no longer fit quite right, flopping around as I moved my arms. It was kind of nice, though. Focus, Sol, focus. I shook my head and noted that it had been a few hours since Alexis left. Hopefully she would be back soon. Failing to contain a groan, I stood back up and limped my way over to the gate. There were new impressions along the wall that weren’t there before, overgrown with more of the violet moss. Receptacles for the manikins, apparently. One slot was still occupied, the shell of the automaton laying in pieces inside. 

 

There was a loud grinding sound out of nowhere that made me jump, my tail standing on end. My eyes darted around as I tried to find the source and I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that it was the gate opening. Alexis must have cracked the system. I stroked my tail as I calmed down, marveling at how soft it was. Wait a second. I stared down at the tail in my hands, shifting slightly with movements I could feel and covered in fur that matched my ears. Huh. Fluffier than I thought it would be and rather nice to have. I became aware at that moment of an uncomfortable feeling near the base of my spine and I shifted around to see that the base of my tail was pressed on by the skintight layer I wore under the suit. I fiddled with it a bit until it was no longer pushing and felt instant relief. That was going to be fun, figuring out how to wear all my old clothes with this thing.

Yes, a real annoyance. Pay no attention to the stupid grin on my face. It means nothing, nothing I tell you. Anyway, the gate was now open and I saw no point in waiting around for more security bots to accost me, so I directed the drone to follow me as I made my way into the garden. No sense waiting for Alexis, she would just pilot the drone again whenever she was ready. 

 

The view that greeted me beyond the gates was absolutely amazing. The center of the Garden was a large fountain that spilled into canals that ran throughout, connecting into rings. There were asymmetric terraces staggered over the outside rings, covered in overgrown greenhouses filled with flora of all kinds. I could see food crops similar to Terra’s, before climatefall, as well as more strange and new plants with beautiful fruit hanging on vines and branches. Nearer to the fountain were flowers and beds of herbs, little shrubs and latticed vines. To the right and left of the fountain, relative to my position, there were tunnels formed by arched lattices and they were covered in absolutely stunning purple and blue flowers, the vines a striking cyan color. I’d never seen anything like it!

I slowly walked towards the center, admiring the lush surroundings. Everything was overgrown, but I could see the little signs of the ordered farms and the meticulous care that had been given to this place. There were some obnoxious statues of Founder near the gates, but once you entered the Garden proper there was no sign of his presence. Just living things, thriving on a world so far away from where I was born. I took a deep breath, luxuriating in the wondrous smells. Everything was so much more vibrant than I could recall. I giggled as I noticed that there were a lot of lilies near me; they were Selene’s favorite and I knew the aroma of them well, although there was another scent I could faintly pick out. It grew stronger as I walked and I started to feel…cozy and energized. Like I could sleep all day in a pleasant nap while also being able to run a marathon. 

 

The smell grew stronger as I reached the center. Around the fountain were these gray-green plants with jagged leaves and fluffy, thick stems. They smelled amazing and I was struck by the desire to roll around in them. I felt like I was wrapped in a warm blanket, my thoughts a nice steady buzz in my head. Giggling filled my ears as I sat down among the plants, rubbing them between my fingers. What a pleasant minty smell! Oh, the giggling is me! Gosh, I sound pretty good. I wonder if it is my new ears picking up on notes and tones I couldn’t hear before. Oh, I bet I could make something to test that. 

 

Giving in to the temptation, I rolled around, delighting in the soft plants and the quiet sound of water flowing in the background. I felt relaxed, more relaxed than I had been in a long time. Memories of Selene hugging me as we watched the stars from the bases on Luna filled my mind. They were always so kind to me. I didn’t deserve them, truly. Hadn’t earned someone like that in my life. I giggled again as Selene’s voice filled my mind, chiding me for being so hard on myself. That would be just like them. The thoughts were so nice, I barely noticed the itching anymore. 

 

There was a buzz of static and a low thrum as the drone started moving on its own and Alexis’ hologram fuzzed into place overlaying it. “Whew! That took far longer than I thought it would! Hope you didn’t get too lonely waiting for me, Sol.” She peered around, not spotting me amidst the garden. “Sol? Are you there? Please tell me you haven’t been hurt or something.”

“Hehehe, you won’t find me~” I couldn’t help a little bit of mischief, anything to see Alexis smile at me again. “I’m very good at sneaking and that was before I got smaller! Let’s see the pretty lady try to track me down!” I wiggled very carefully in between a few of the taller plants, where the edge of this plot met some hedges of honeysuckle, if my nose was to be believed. 

 

Alexis smiled in an exasperated grin. “I don’t know what has gotten into you, Sol, but I’ll find you. You just watch out.” She slowly made her way around the garden, glancing this way and that. I stayed hidden in my little comfy nook as she disappeared around a set of hedges and trees. She would never find me!

I stifled another round of giggling. Couldn’t give the game away, could I? This was far too fun and it was so great seeing Alexis having fun as well. I sighed wistfully. I never thought I would meet someone like her in a place like this. What a wonderful thing. 

 

I felt my eyes closing as I felt a little sleepy only to be jolted awake by the feel of someone tugging on my tail! “Aaaah!” The tugging increased, gently pulling me through the honeysuckle and out onto a soft dirt path. I fell on my back and looked up to see Alexis smiling at me. “Heya, gorgeous, you come here often?”

She laughed, a rumbly and lovely sound. “Mmm, not usually, but I might have to change that since there are apparently adorable kittens roaming around here.”

 

“Nope, just me! I was waiting for you for sooooo long, I’m so glad to see you! You missed it! I got attacked by some dumb Founders, fought ‘em off with my impressive drone control skills, and then found this very lovely spot to sit down and wait for you to return!”

Alexis looked concerned as she looked me up and down for injuries. “Attacked? By…oh the manikins. I forgot about those. I’m glad you are okay, though. You…are okay, right? Because you are acting a little strange.” She knelt down next to me as I rolled over and sat up.

“Yes yes, I’m fine. A little itchy, I think the little bots are at work again. But that’s okay, they can keep doing their thing. Look! I have a tail now! It’s so fluffy.”

She stared down at my fluffy tail, eyes growing wide. “Wow, that really is a cat tail, isn’t it? It is a bit awe inspiring that little machines could do something like that. I guess I’m not one to talk, though, am I?” 

 

I was struck by a strange impulse and I reached up to grab her face with my hands and pull her closer so I could kiss her right on the forehead. The drone body underneath the hologram was cold and refreshing on my lips. “You are a very wonderful machine lady and I’m very happy to be here with you.” I leaped onto her, hugging her very tight. “I missed you a lot.”

Alexis gave me a funny look, her eyes glittering with an expression I couldn’t place. “I really don’t know what has gotten into you, Sol, but…thank you. Thank you so much.” She hugged me back and pulled me into her arms as she picked me up and carried me back through the honeysuckle. “Something is different with you and I’m wondering if it has something to do with this garden.” She peered around and noted the plants I had been rolling around in just a little while ago. A loud groan filled my ears. “Of course, of course you are high on catnip! I can’t believe there is a bed of it right here and you just zoomed right for it.”

Catnip huh? I guess I am part cat now. Well, I’m not going to complain. I felt wonderful. I nuzzled my face into her shoulder. Which wasn’t terribly comfortable, given that it was all smooth metal, but it is the thought that counts. We really needed to get her a new body. It was criminal that she couldn’t feel cuddles!

 

Alexis’ voice interrupted my thoughts. “I have no idea how this much of the stuff is hitting your system; let’s get you back to the ship so you can get it out of your system and we can see what all has changed, you little calico gremlin.”

I perked up at that last bit, my ears wiggling excitedly. “Calico?”

She nodded. “Mhm, I recognize your fur pattern now that it is present on your tail as well as your ears. Even your hair has changed to match. Calicos are what you call cats with that type of coloration. Although it is a little strange you’d end up being a calico cat person. Calicos tend to be girls more than anything, although there is sometimes a boy calico here and there.” 

“I had no idea. Kind of a bummer that I’m not a girl. Being a girl would be pretty nice, I think. But that’s okay, I’ll be a cute catboy. It’s not as good, but I can live with that. Yeah–” I yawned, feeling incredibly sleepy. “I’ll just have to be the cutest catboy you’ve ever seen. Always wanted to be cute, really.”

The last thing I heard as I fell asleep in her arms was Alexis’ voice. “Sleep well, little kitten. You are already the cutest to me.”

 

Sol gets a taste of the good stuff and some VERY cute interactions with Alexis. Next chapter is being written right now, but is shaping up very nicely.  As a heads up, this story is currently being written for my Patreon and patrons get 2 weeks early access to new chapters. Take a look at patreon.com/vyriadurav if you would like to support my writing!

145