Chapter 24: Lin For New Beginning
187 9 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Murong Zi stared at the handsome man in front of her, the beating of her heart pounded rapidly. She could even feel the thumping throughout her entire being. He was the fire to a winter storm and the ray of sunlight in a dark room.

Dressed in blue with his hair tied up in a tall ponytail, she stared into his mesmerizing eyes. She could feel a tingling numbing sensation in her limbs. Her head felt fuzzy and hot. He was too handsome for this world.

“Murong gu-niang,” said Yuelong, standing up. “How did you find me here?”

To Yuelong, Murong Zi may be one of the rarest beauties in the world, if they were to be together, they would be the perfect couple. But how could she steal his heart when it was already stolen by someone else?

“Fan gong-zi…” Murong Zi started, her cheeks blushing. “We were just traveling back to Lishui Sect. And…”

She looked at the ground. “I didn’t know you were here.”

“We?” Questioned Yuelong.

Behind Murong Zi, a dozen people followed behind. They all wore black robes with different coloured linings, symbolizing their ranks in Lishui Sect. Murong Zi herself wore black with purple linings, which showed her direct relationship with the Leader, Murong Teng. The purple lining matched perfectly with the wisteria designs of her robes. 

A Lishui disciple came jogging up behind Murong Zi. Like Yuelong, his facial features were also very defined. Except his eyes, they looked big and round like a cute puppy. The linings on his robes were dark blue, one rank lower than Murong Zi, and it was what most of the Lishui disciples wore.

Shi-jie! Shi-jie!” the boy called out. Holding something in his hands, he came up from behind, smiling at Murong Zi. But the moment he saw Yuelong, it was like if someone had splashed his face with dark vinegar, it had instantly turned into a dark frown.

“Oh, it's you.” the boy said bluntly.

“Sifei! Where are your manners!” Murong Zi criticized. 

“But shi-jie, this guy—”

“Sifei!”

“It quite alright, Murong gu-niang,” said Yuelong, perfectly understanding the reasoning behind Sifei’s anger. 

After leaving the banquet in a fit of anger, and openly rejecting his marriage with Murong Zi, Yuelong felt very guilty towards her, but he didn’t regret his decision. He had to reject it, he didn’t want to put Murong Zi in the same situation of marrying someone you don’t love, he couldn’t betray his own conscience. 

“See, shi-jie? The guy is fine with it,” Sifei held. 

Murong Zi sighed. “I apologize for my shi-di’s rude manners.” She bowed.

Shi-jie!”

“It’s really quite alright,” assured Yuelong. “And besides, I should be the one apologizing.”

“I’m surprised you even know that you should be the one apologizing,” spat Sifei. 

Yuelong looked at him with a calm expression. He could see that Sifei was already worked up. But Yuelong didn’t feel even an ounce of anger. Especially after seeing his big round eyes, it was like having an argument with a small puppy, Yuelong simply couldn’t bring the anger out of him, even if he wanted it.

“Sifei! Do you want to spend time kneeling in repentance?”

Sifei looked at Murong Zi with shock. He stomped on the floor. Like a small child, he said, “Shi-jie, you would do that to me?”

Yuelong laughed on the inside. This boy was too adorable. According to the laws of reincarnation, where a person has lived multiple past lifetimes, one of Sifei’s past lifetimes was definitely an adorable little puppy. Or else it wouldn’t explain the cute attitude that Sifei had.

“That’s right, where is Leader Murong?” asked Yuelong, hoping to bring the attention off of Sifei.

“My father has left earlier than us, so we will be leaving soon.” Murong Zi replied. “Why are you here, Fan gong-zi?”

Yuelong could tell that Sifei wanted to say something but stopped after he looked at Murong Zi. Yuelong smiled to himself. “I just needed some time alone to think about my decisions.”

Ge!”

The trio turned around to look at the cottage door. 

“Ge?” Murong Zi murmured.

Xiao-Kai came out from the house. Murong Zi and Sifei looked at the boy in confusion.

“This is…?”

Before they jumped to any conclusions, Yuelong explained, “This is Xiao-Kai, my di-di.”

“I didn’t know you had a brother,” asked Sifei, examining the boy.

“No, I don’t, I found him in the forest and I’m going to take care of him.” Yuelong clarified. 

Xiao-Kai came down beside Yuelong. He looked at Yuelong and asked, “Ge, who are these people?”

“This is Murong Zi and Sifei from Lishui Sect.” Yuelong introduced.

Murong curtsied, “I am Murong Zi.”

Sifei put up his hands in front of him, “Zhao Sifei, at your service.”

Judging from their expressions, Yuelong guessed that the two Lishui disciples liked Xiao-Kai.

“His full name isn’t Xiao-Kai, is it?” questioned Murong Zi.

“No, I don’t think so. It’s just that he was abandoned when he was young and people usually calls him Xiao-Kai.”

“No that won’t do, we have to come up with a name for him,” requested Sifei. “At least a surname for him.”

“Hmm…” Pondered Yuelong. “What do you guys think is a good name?”

Xiao-Kai watched the three people standing there, deep in thought. Yuelong crossed his arms in front of his chest, awaiting Murong Zi and Sifei’s response. He didn’t know the importance of having a surname in the world and thus thought it was unnecessary for this.

“You said that you found Xiao-Kai in a forest right?” asked Murong Zi.

“Yes, that’s right.”

“How about Lin Kai then? After all, it can symbolize his new start with you after you took him in.” Suggested Sifei.

“Lin Kai…” Yuelong looked at the teen. “I think it will be a suitable name for him.”

“I still like Xiao-Kai better,” the teen responded. The name Lin Kai felt far and distant from him, it didn’t sound like himself.

The three adults laughed. 

Xiao-kai looked at the adults in confusion. Do I have something on my face? My clothes? The teen looked down at his clothes and felt around his face.

“What?” murmured Xiao-Kai.

“It’s nothing, don’t worry about it,” comforted Sifei, putting one arm around the teen. Sifei had completely forgotten his grudge against Yuelong and handed the teen something from his hand. He walked a couple steps away from Murong and Yuelong and started showering Xiao-Kai with advice and questions.

“It’s getting late, I probably should get going. It’s a long journey before I reach home,” said Murong Zi, fumbling her dress with her fingers.

“I am deeply sorry about what happened at the banquet,” Yuelong apologized. “I will visit Leader Murong personally to apologize for my rash actions.”

Murong Zi nodded in response. She felt that she still had a bit of hope with Yuelong. He was her first crush, and she would never let go of it. Murong Zi bowed and took her leave, leading the group of Lishui disciples up north. 

With his cheeks slightly bulging from the sweets that Sifei gave him, Xiao-Kai waved goodbye at the group of people. Sifei had a big grin on his face and waved back at Xiao-Kai. The two were almost the ideal friends. Both of them were like cute puppies, one easily was angered as fast as they forgot about it, while the other was shy to outsiders and extremely kind on the inside.

The next couple of days, Yuelong and Xiao-Kai continued their cultivation and daily life. Yuelong was contemplating when to visit Murong Teng to apologize for his actions at the banquet. It was definitely a move that hurt the connections of Qianyang and Lishui, and Yuelong felt selfish that he had done it, but nevertheless, he didn’t regret it. 

If Murong Zi can run into me without purposely searching for me, then what are the chances that I will run into Qianyang disciples? I can’t stay in one place for too long…

“Xiao-Kai, pack your things,” said Yuelong. 

“Where are we going?”

“You like Sifei, right?”

The teen nodded his head.

“We’ll be visiting him.”

As Yuelong was packing his things, he remembered the cloud shaped badge that he found after Xiao-Kai annihilated the demonic beast. He took it out from underneath his pillow and examined it under the candlelight. Completely unaware that his every move was being monitored by someone outside.

10