Chapter 8 ** Receiving And Releasing **
120 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nathan sighed in his heart, at the Princess’s trembling mouth. Knowing that this little girl was scared…

Having parted ways last night, he had stayed by her door, lingering silently while thinking, and he had heard enough from the nanny to realize that something was definitely not right.

Knowing how she had acted and what had happened last night in her room, Nathan felt himself soften to this girl.

Instead of being angry and wanting an explanation, he felt like he needed to save her.

Already, he had told the servants, that the nanny was not to go up to the Princess’s room from now on, and that they were to pass on that message.

He really wanted to know how much guts this nanny had! Will she still go against the words from servants and make things hard for his guest once again?

But, as he looked at this little girl, he wanted to instead make her smile and forget about what had happened.

Pulling on her hand, he brought her to the head chair at the table, that she had sat at last time, and pushed the chair in himself, when she went to sit down.

Dupli looked at him, then away, quietly saying, “Thank you.”

Walking to his chair, he sat beside her and said happily, “Your welcome.”

 

Breakfast went by, but Dupli did not eat much.

Twice, she politely left, to blow her nose and wash her hands.

Feeling like she was already making mistakes so early in the morning, Dupli wanted to rest, but Nathan took her away before anyone could say anything.

Their surprised faces didn’t last particularly long, instead, they looked like they were expecting something to happen in due time.

Already seeing their son so doting upon the Princess, they were very happy and continued on with their day.

 

Nathan took Dupli out on horseback, holding her with him, as she hadn’t known how to ride a horse.

He knew of a place that had kittens, and he wanted to see how she would like to hold one.

They didn’t say much on the trip and Dupli stayed silent, even when she was back upon the ground again.

The wind that had hit her face, as she had ridden the horse, and it had given her a good feeling, she felt that she wanted to do it again already!

Even having these thoughts though, she was not going to ever admit to them or say them out loud. She had learnt her lesson, she was never to forget that she was a maid, a shadow…

Patting the horse, silently thanking it for the ride, it gently nudged her, making her smile.

“Here.” Nathan said, putting an apple into her hand. “Let him eat it.”

Dupli took a deep breath and held out her hand and watched as the horse stole the apple from her.

As the horse left some yucky, strange substance on her hands, Dupli made a strange face.

Having this happen, she much preferred to just pat the horse instead…

Looking at Nathan, she put her hands out like she wanted to get rid of them.

Nathan laughed and went a few steps away and grabbed a towel. “Here.”

 

Dupli wiped her hands, still having a strange look upon her face, and Nathan let out another laugh.

So adorable!

After Dupli finish wiping her hands, Nathan put the towel away and grabbed her hand again, pulling her further around the side of the house they were at.

When they got there, there were two children holding little baby kittens, that hadn’t even opened their eyes yet.

Dupli looked closer, then closer again, and started to smile once again.

Pointing, she looked at Nathan and he nodded at her, smiling back.

Not delaying, Dupli picked up a meowing kitten and held it to her chest.

Patting the little thing very lightly, Dupli’s eyes became stars once again.

“Do you want it?” He asked, watching her. She really held so much of his attention for some reason, he never cared much for the opposite sex at all, so why did she stand out?

Dupli suddenly lost her smile, if she were to try and bring this kitten back…“No.”

Losing her enthusiasm, she returned the crying kitten and just looked at them.

They were just in a box, with one towel on the bottom…Dupli suddenly wondered what would happen to them…

Were they cold?

But really, even if this small box were cold for them, if she were to take one, it could only die…It was still better that they stay here, in this box…

 

“Princess, next time I see you smiling, I’m not going to say a word…I’m sorry.” Nathan said. He had really thought this trip was going to be great, but he had wrecked it.

If his guess was right and she wasn’t the real Princess, how could she keep a kitten?

He felt like a big idiot!

Having got swept away and wanting to make her smile, he had completely forgotten reason!

Dupli turned away and walked into a grassy opened area. The view was quite nice, seeing small little houses every now and again, but mostly the land held animals and fences.

Looking up, she saw birds flying around and wished that she could become one of them.

…If she was a bird, where would she fly too? Would she fly all over the place? Would she fly to someone’s house and become their pet?

Strangely, even being a pet and having an owner, seemed so much better then her life as of present. She was already caged, she was already a pet…But, if she was a bird…Would she be treated better?

Nathan, walking up to her, seeing the longing in her face and wondered if she wanted a pet bird instead. But, after a while, the longing seemed to find him thinking that perhaps she wanted to be the bird…Making him sad. Normally children wanted to be birds, so that they could fly, but her longing may mean that she wanted to fly away…Far away.

…Nathan felt like things had changed since yesterday and they weren’t small changes, this girl…

The little girl beside him, even made him sad, and he had no idea why.

It was like she was taking on the world, that she was hurting so much that it was starting to flow out…

What else was he to do?

Taking her into his arms, he hugged her.

“Please…”

He interrupted her, “Just let someone hug you when you’re sad. Just like this.”

 

Dupli put her head onto his chest and felt warm inside. It was way too much of a good feeling, that it spilled out all the tears that had wanted to come out for hours, days, weeks…Years.

She held tightly onto his clothes and quietly stood there.

Receiving a hug, after all this time, was like she had received all her birthday presents and Christmas presents all in one.

How had she known in the first place, that hugs were good? How did he know that she needed one?

Slightly trembling now, as more tears escaped her eyes, Dupli tried to stop.

But, it was the first hug received after so much pain…

All of what she remembers, raced up and she felt it all over again. The water…Becoming a duplicate, being bullied, hit, whipped, nearly killed…

For at least an hour, Dupli was unable to move, as her sorrows seeped out of her slowly and made Nathans shirt wet.

Nathan, not knowing how deeply this child was hurt, didn’t know how to calm her down.

He was sure that she wasn’t trying to look like a girl trying to get something out of him, just because she had cried. No, this girl, had tried hard not to cry, and now she just burst!

Whatever she was going through…He wanted it to stop! Having her fall apart like this, this innocent little girl, he nearly cried himself. Her desolate, lonely figure that was inside his arms, felt like it was breaking apart, that she would become nothing…As time went by, he felt like she may disappear if he wasn’t careful, that she could be as fleeting as the wind…

 

Dupli hadn’t cried like that at all…From what she could remember. The most she had cried, was for a little while before she fell asleep at the hidden palace, but they had been standing there for ages and Dupli finally was able to think about Nathan and feel bad for her actions.

Bowing her head in embarrassment, she wanted to make amends, as she couldn’t bare the idea of this person, who was the first to hug her, would hate her for crying as she just had, “I’m sorry. I should have rested after breakfast, and not…”

“No, you needed it. Whatever you say, what you needed most, at that moment, was a hug.” Nathan stepped back a step and sighed, “Let’s ride back.”

Before Dupli could say anything, he picked her up and he nearly went into another shock because of her weight.

Determined, he walked towards his horse and put her on there and then got up behind her.

Making her fall against him, he said, “If you want to sleep, then sleep.”

Dupli didn’t sleep, instead she watched the scenery go by, feeling quite deflated.

Not once had she done this before and she had no idea on how to continue. Why had she cried so desperately, to a man she hardly knew? Why did it spill out with no control? Did she feel better? Did it fix her situation?

Being confused, she just stayed silent, pursing her lips and her eyes still red from crying…

Slowing down, Nathan wanted Dupli to be ready, for when they returned back, and hoped that she would be back to who she was yesterday. It was a lot easier yesterday…

She had changed drastically overnight, and he hoped that he had got rid of the worry now. The nanny should not be involved anymore, and then she will smile once again.

…Only time would tell.

 

***

 

Having cried and before that, slept on the bare floor the night before, Dupli became nearly soulless. She felt utterly exhausted and started to feel the chill from the wind. Her arms felt heavy and limp, and her eyes started to flutter close.

Nathan, having taken her off the horse, he saw that she became quite unresponsive and just decided he’d carry her back to her room instead.

After she her feet were off the ground, she seemed to completely nod off straight away. Her tiny, light body, looked weak to Nathan, and the fact that she clenched his shirt into her hands, made her look like a frightened animal.

What was this girl’s burdens?

Nathan went past two servants and his mother, not stopping for a moment, even when his mother was anxious about a Princess being carried like she had fainted!

Placing her down on the bed, Nathan tucked her in and left the room quietly.

Walking down to his mother, he said, “Don’t let anyone disturb her.”

“What’s wrong with the Princess, my dear?” Sandra asked.

Nathan sighed, “She probably has a cold, get some cold medicine ready too.”

When he walked away after that, his mother was hoping that nothing too drastic had happened. After all, the girl’s father was the King of Eden!

Shaking her head and sighing, she got out some cold medicine and started to get it ready.

 

Without anyone knowing, the nanny marched towards the Princess’s room and quietly closed the door after herself.

Sneering to the person in the bed, she looked around and found a towel.

Picking it up, she went to the basin and wet it.

This girl shouldn’t be used! She was going to ruin the Princess!

Having seen her coming back in a man’s arms, with her own eyes, the nanny must discipline her!

But, before she could even start, she was suddenly taken through wind and landed outside, quite a few metres away from the room upstairs.

Having fallen to such a degree, she hadn’t landed good and the nanny tried to cry in pain to her old knees and ankles. But the air in her lungs had evaded her and she even had trouble breathing for a while, making her unable to call for help.

What had just happened?

The nanny tried to breath properly and was able to sit up, she touched her knees and ankle, and was sure that the fall had done something to her…This was not good!

She had to discipline that girl…But now that she was hurt, she most likely might to be stuck in bed for the duration of the rest of the stay here!

Yet, how could she explain how she had gotten hurt!? She was certain that she had just been on the second floor and had literally been taken from there…

Looking to see that she was on hay, she felt lucky that she hadn’t landed on the hard ground instead…But, what exactly just happened? How would she explain this later!?

The pain stopped her thoughts and she was finally able to call for help…

 

Whereas, inside of the room on the second floor, Sebastian looked upon the deeply, sleeping girl and sighed. Picking up the wet towel, that was dropped by the nanny, he put it on the girl’s forehead and gently smiled at her.

“The last time you were sick, you didn’t want me to heal you. But after two days, I realized why! You wanted me to wait on you all the time!”

Moving a strain of her hair, Sebastian chuckled.

She was such a weak little one at the moment.

Knowing that she should get over her cold shortly, he instead moved her arm and looked behind it…Seeing the mole…

Gently putting her arm back, he sat down on the bed and smiled.

It has to be true now, the Princess is Davina. Then he must forget about the maid…

Yet…The bracelet wasn’t on her wrist…

Sebastian turned to see the jewellery box and figured that she had put it in there for safe keeping. Since that was a practical answer, he didn’t think beyond that of the loss of the bracelet upon her hand…

 

Having noticed the Princess’s absence from the capital, Sebastian had rushed here, to Lord Wiltsing’s residence, and even realized what was going on.

It looks like they were looking for suitors for the Princess, and one of the boys here probably was a candidate.

Wanting to immediately tell her that she can’t accept another, Sebastian wondered if he should take the Royal Consort’s invitation and go to see her. He didn’t think something like this would happen so quickly, so it hadn’t really clicked until now. But, since it has, he had to make certain that the only husband his beloved will have, would of course be him!

Perhaps that was the reason for him to be summoned to see the Royal Consort in the first place, so that she could see his potential.

Regretting his total negligence to something that is most likely important, Sebastian decided to see the Royal Consort when he was to return to the capital.

Yet, she doesn’t remember him…

Pretty sure that the Princess will be here for a short time, as she shouldn’t travel, because she was sick. Sebastian came up with an idea.

He will use this time for her to get to know him once again.

 

Picking up her hand, Sebastian lightly touched it, “So troublesome.”

He doted so much upon the girl, that he didn’t even know if she’d still prefer to not be healed this time.

Her cold wasn’t that bad, so she would be ok…

She was the leader…Always. He followed just about anything that she wanted, she led him to where she wanted to go. He was always just happy to have her by his side…So, wherever she wanted to go was where he wanted to go too!

He grew his hair, because she told him too, he taught her inner force and how to do Martial Arts, because she told him too…

She didn’t change, each time, she always liked to make the rules up and only she could change them!

Smiling at memories, Sebastian lightly touched her cheek. “Always so troublesome.”

Hearing someone coming towards this area, Sebastian got up and flew out the window, disappearing like he had never been there…

 

An older maid came in, she was Sandra’s personal maid, and she put the cold medicine on the bedside table.

“Princess?”

Dupli didn’t hear her at all…

Her dreams became filled with yet another thing she thought to be real…

“Frogs jump!”

“Yes…They…Jump…” Dupli found this voice familiar…And sounding quite funny.

“Make them walk!”

“…We can’t force a frog to walk, Davina.”

She felt herself pout, “We can make chimes move and make music, why can’t we make a frog walk!?”

A strange cough was sounded, “…Well, there are just some things in the world that you can’t force.”

Silence filled her dream.

“Davina, sweetheart, don’t you think…A frog would look silly if it walked instead of jumped?”

“Mmm.”

“Then…Will you let the frog go?”

Dupli saw a frog in her closed hands, “…If inner force can’t be used, can I teach, teach it to walk instead?”

A handsome chuckle sounded, and Dupli found herself floating…

 

***

 

“Princess?” The older maid had taken a seat and had been quiet for half an hour. When she saw the Princess start to move slowly and then turn her head, she got up and walked towards the bed.

Dupli looked at the person and tried to remember where she was.

“Take this medicine, Princess. It is for your cold.” The maid said, showing the small bowl on the bedside table.

Dupli nodded and took the medicine.

 

For the next day, Dupli stayed in bed, she slept quite often and when she was awake, a maid would then leave to let Nathan know.

Once, upon wakening, she had thought she’d seen that man from the capital, but she put it as a dream. Actually, even though she was sick, she felt like she was in a continuous dream…The bed was so comfortable that she never wanted to get out of it, and food was delivered straight to her bed!

It became a burden to leave the bed to do her deeds, because all she wanted to do was lay on the comfy bed. The blankets smelt nice and were so warm!

The food was healthy and made her feel slightly better…It was…Like a dream!

Nathan would come to see her, with a different book each time in his hands.

The first time, he had the book that she had started to read the day before. He had tried to understand which genre she would like to read but failed in wanting to go into a specific conversation when Dupli had just said that she liked them all…

For a time, he had been silent and then had said that he’ll bring a different book next time for her to read.

Dupli could only smile back and wonder if she said the right thing. She had hardly seen the Princess reading, but, she wasn’t by the Princess’s side at all times and perhaps she did read when she wasn’t around.

After a short talk, the medicine came, and Dupli would then take it and lay back down again.

Nathan left and had gone to the library in search of another book, taking great care into choosing…

 

Waking the next time, having not read anything yet. Dupli felt more energetic and after having a meal, she started to read the book Nathan had brought the last time.

Not long after, he visited her again, with the second book.

Dupli really wanted to cheer, even though she was in bed, she felt very special!

Taking the book, Dupli thanked him.

Nathan could only try and speak of what she would like to do when she was well again. He came up with several suggestions, but she seemed to have dulled back down and easily lost her smile. Even though he saw curiosity in her eyes, he felt like there was something strong from letting her show it. She was so hard to figure out, that he had spent at least an hour so far, thinking about why she was like this. Someone that seemed to want to be that innocent, little girl but couldn’t be. He worried, as the distant, cold look really didn’t seem to match who she was, and since it was like that…What has she gone through to become this way?

It was such a mystery to Nathan, that as the days were passing, the time spent thinking about this little girl, seemed to grow…

 

Having a conversation that lasted an hour, it was only then that Nathan left Dupli’s room. This short stay, didn’t satisfy his want to be by her side, but he didn’t think there was anything he could do about it. She was hardly responding to anything he was saying, and it was becoming a little uncomfortable, giving him no other option but to leave her be.

Dupli hadn’t been ready to go back to sleep again, and she got up and went to the window, that was now closed.

It was already the third day she had been there, and it was already getting dark…Soon it will be the fourth…

A bad feeling rose inside her, thinking of what might happen upon her return back to the capital and shivers went through her.

“Cold?”

Looking up, she saw Sebastian climb in through the window, just in front of her, making her take a step back.

Climbing the rest of the way through, he picked up a blanket and put it around her. “You are getting better, don’t get sicker by not staying warm.”

Dupli didn’t know what to say…

“You…Don’t remember me?”

Dupli knew vaguely of the dreams and voice, but…

…The real Princess wouldn’t know!

“No!”

“Then, shall I remind you?” Sebastian asked.

“No! Don’t bring up the past!” Dupli said. She wasn’t used to speaking like this, but not only was it familiar, but she had to make it clear, that he can’t bring up the past…If he was, wouldn’t he realize that the Princess wasn’t her? Wouldn’t that only cause more trouble?

 

Sighing in his heart, Sebastian could only nod. Perhaps later she will bring it up herself, when she remembers.

“Very well. How about we start again then?”

Looking at the man in her temporary bedroom, Dupli really couldn’t help but feel familiar. She wasn’t scared, she wasn’t shy, just…She was supposedly the Princess…

“Do you like me?” Dupli asked, it was a hard question, but…

“…No one else.” Sebastian said. It didn’t take any effort at all to show how sincere he was about his beloved.

Dupli sat down on the bed behind her.

Again…The Princess had so much…

“Why?” Dupli really didn’t understand. The Princess was a nasty girl, a bully that literally hurts people…

Sebastian had seen her this insecure before, and he was happy to oblige her, “Well, because your smile lights my world. Your stubbornness and determination puts colours into my world and your sweet temperament makes my world full and content…”

Dupli interrupted him, not sure if she could hear anymore, “And if I change?”

“What do you mean change?” He asked.

Dupli looked up and stared at him, “If I change my personality…Would you still…Like me then?”

Sebastian took two steps towards her and took her hand, kissing it, “No one else…”

“…I want to be alone.”

Gently putting down her hand again, Sebastian could only sigh to the small amount of progress he’s made. “I will return tomorrow.”

Before she could tell him not too, he jumped out the window and disappeared.

Closing her eyes, she slouched and put a hand to her head.

She wasn’t sure of the feeling that overwhelmed her…But all she knew, was that it wasn’t nice…It was heartbreakingly bad…

It was…Betrayal…

 

***

 

Dupli’s heart seemed to have frozen over that night.

Whatever Nathan wanted to do, never happened…Her smile had completely disappeared.

For the rest of Dupli’s stay, she tried to stay in her room, only venturing out for food and two walks around the estate.

Nathan had accompanied her, but whatever he said, Dupli had not given him anything to continue with.

Actually, Dupli’s mind was considering options.

After that…Night…She decided she wasn’t going to return. Picturing the potential future of the Princess being with that man, seemed to hurt her beyond believe and she didn’t want to see it…At all!

Nothing else seemed to matter anymore. She only dressed and spoke of a Princess, but the maid Dupli, was really shining through the cracks.

Her face was cold, her actions detached, and she had hardly spoke a word.

Now all she thought, what was the best way to not return to the capital.

She had learnt a lot and now even read a few more books, so she was more and more determined, as the time to leave got closer and closer.

Sebastian had visited her every night, sharing with her some poems and even continue to read from where she was up in the book that she was reading. He would take her into his arms and place her on his lap, making her long even more for something she couldn’t have.

Another night, he had gone into Martial Arts and inner force, making a slight change of interest in Dupli, as she listened to him. On the last night…He told her he was going to ask for her hand in marriage, before anyone else tries to take her away.

Trying to act as though she was really happy, she told him to go and do it now.

Knowing that she was only going to come back to the capital the next day anyway, Sebastian squeezed her hand and nodded happily, before he left.

She knew it, as she watched his disappearance, she knew she wouldn’t see him for a while, if ever again. She still wasn’t sure how she was going to achieve her most dominating thoughts at present, but she had to make them a reality!

She was leaving! The maid, the shadow, the pitiful bullied girl who hardly ate and hardly smiled…She was leaving all this behind!

1