Chapter 38
111 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Riding inside the carriage, Mahnu didn't speak, which made Jaclyn become very nervous.

What do I do? What do I say? How will I be about to stay with her like this? Maybe I could get them to find somebody else...I mean, this lady…She’s the consort to the King…The King!

Revelation had gone through Jaclyn’s mind at being aware of who Mahnu was.

Her life had been through thick and then, but that was probably normal for a commoner…But never did she think she’d met the King, yet alone become his consort’s doctor!

Was it luck or not?

Having been to Conrella to study, she had liked it there better then Bena, especially because she knew that Bena had some problems. It was a big city that she had not seen much of and had wanted to go back again…

The problem was, a past trauma led her back to Bena and be a good doctor to those who needed her. If it wasn’t for…Well, nonetheless, she felt like she could help more people in Bena then in Conrella…

Now, she had the chance to return to Conrella, in what would be known as good circumstances…But her position was…It was the responsibility that she was afraid of! If she makes a mistake…Will they kill her!?

Sighing, Mahnu looked at Jaclyn, "Why are you so nervous? Is the King so frightening? Am I that frightening?"

"No...Your...Mahnu."

The glare Mahnu gave her, made Jaclyn drop her head and gulp. She twisted her fingers together, that were in her lap, and her eyes moved quickly from place to place.

She was so terribly nervous, and she couldn’t seem to calm down at all!

 

It wasn’t like Jaclyn couldn’t deal with situations, it was just this particular situation!

She knows how to treat someone who was poisoned, and someone that has the flu. She can sort patients out from who needs the most care, to who needs the least. She can travel with people and be a doctor for them. She can stick up for others when a doctor states one thing, but she knows that his diagnosis is wrong.

She was not a push over, yet…There was a power that would always overwhelm another’s…And that was royalty…

Strict manners are used, strict attire was probably also used.

Most, including the King’s own children, probably needed to go through a lot just to meet up for the King for business!

How was it that it would be okay not to call a consort of the King, ‘Your Highness’?

"I've rarely heard people call my name. That's why I want them to say it...It's nice."

Jaclyn looked up. Her change of talking was more opened and even sad.

Why hadn't people called her name? Jaclyn wondered.

"Because I rarely spoke to humans." Mahnu spoke honestly, still wondering if Jaclyn could be someone that could stay by her side.

Jaclyn frowned, "Humans?"

Why did it sound that she was different to Mahnu…No…That everyone was different to Mahnu!?

Perhaps…Mahnu is sick…

"People." Mahnu changed the word she had used, after clearing her throat.

Even though she had used the term 'humans', for over a thousand years, it looks like she will have to change her ways...

…This may even be the first time that she used the word ‘people’ out loud to another!

"…Why not?” Jaclyn asked, nearly having completely forgotten what they were talking about!

Mahnu looked at her. She wasn't going to give her the story of her existence...At least not yet, "It is hard to say."

 

Jaclyn still looked nervous, making Mahnu start to lose her patience. "It would be understandable if you were scared of me over two years ago but if you feel that way towards me now...It would bother me."

Two years ago, she had been still a God, able to jump onto a rooftop and left a relatively large tree from its roots! So, that was why Mahnu stated that she would understand another being scared back then…

"I'm...Not scared." Jaclyn stated in a low voice…Completely stating a lie to her inner thoughts and emotions. Nonetheless, Jaclyn wanted to look tough and did want to think tough, but…Royalty!

"Your thoughts tell me otherwise, Jaclyn." Mahnu sighed, nearly at her limit at Jaclyn thinking continuously about royalty like this!

"Pardon?" Jaclyn said, frowning. It wasn’t the first time someone caught her lying! She used to show a lot on her face, but had gotten better at not showing so much in the last couple of years…Was it…Was it written on her face that she was lying?

Grumpily, Jaclyn looked away, but Mahnu found that Jaclyn wasn’t twisting her fingers anymore.

Seeing a slight change in Jaclyn, Mahnu smiled and hoped that Jaclyn would not worry so much.

"Just be yourself, please. I'm not going to hurt you."

 

Jaclyn just looked at her and gulped.

Be herself? She had told older doctors that were men, that they had been wrong…You, you are a consort of the King! If I told you that you were wrong, how would I get punished!?

…How could I be myself!?

"If you insist you can't handle being with me. I will let you go. It is not a problem." Mahnu lost her patience. It seemed that this girl couldn’t get over ‘royalty’ and that she was just simply too scared.

Why bother to continue to befriend her and do as Richard had asked?

In Mahnu’s eyes, Jaclyn had made her decision and she was not going to fight it.

Just let the girl go…

Jaclyn on the other hand was stunned to what Mahnu had said!

How was it that she had said that, knowing that I had already thought that? Jaclyn wondered if Mahnu was really smart, as she had met quite a number of people who had ‘read her mind’ throughout her life.

"No. I wouldn't classify myself as smart." Mahnu stated sincerely. Actually, now that she had given up on keeping Jaclyn with her, it was starting to become extremely funny for Mahnu, as she had said so much to Jaclyn and yet the girl had no idea that she has answered her thoughts so many times!

A laugh nearly escaped…

"Uh?"

Mahnu could no longer hold it in and laughed. Jaclyn was quite slow but innocent. It seems she still didn't know that Mahnu could read minds…Even with the subtle hints that she had given away!

 

Mahnu then decided to change the subject, "I hear your dream was to become a doctor."

"Yes!"

Mahnu was glad Jaclyn looked excited, "Are you happy now, that you've fulfilled your dream?"

Jaclyn smiled, "Yes, helping others makes me feel good."

"Makes you feel good?" Mahnu had repeated Jaclyn's words in curiosity.

"When they had been sick, then got better. The people were genuinely thankful to me and I would be glad for both their thanks and well being."

"Do they all thank you?" Mahnu asked curiously.

Jaclyn nodded, "Yes, on most occasions."

Watching some of Jaclyn's memories, of the people that she had helped previously, and saw them thanking her, Mahnu thought of when she helped the humans in the past.

Were they thankful?

Remembering King Maximus, Mahnu sighed and believed he was thankful. Then…Richard, he was also thankful, especially when she had saved his life. He thanked her even after ten years from it happening!

But…With others…

Mahnu wanted to laugh at herself because people can’t thank her if she was not around showing her face to them!

Then…Did she regret not showing her face? Would it have…Made me feel good to get that ‘Thank you’?

Did it make me feel good to have helped them without it?

Not sure how to think further about it, Mahnu decided to think of the matter when she was alone…Which…Doesn’t seem to happen so much anymore…

She always had someone close by, and most of the time, they weren’t just guarding her. William would talk to her, Richard would talk to her, so she was rarely able to be on her own to think to herself anymore…And…

Secretly smiling, Mahnu liked it. She liked that she wasn’t alone anymore…

 

Jaclyn watched Mahnu, as she had gone silent, and wondered what she was thinking about. Had she never helped someone before?

It would be understandable if a rich, noble lady didn’t have much to do with commoners like herself…

But this…Lady…Consort…Is so mysterious...Her questions were strange, and she was different to all the other girls that Jaclyn had met at her own age.

Thinking that…Jaclyn finally found herself go back into a professional stance, as she broke the silence, "May I ask how old you are? Your...I mean, Mahnu."

Mahnu looked at her and laughed. "Let me ask you...Are you staying with us? Or are you leaving?"

Jaclyn became silent as she thought about it.

I don't really have a home or family...I know I'd be able to get to help more people if I leave. But could I leave when His Majesty had asked me personally?

"Don't worry about the King. Don't leave or stay on his behalf."

Her words worried Jaclyn, who could say ‘no’ to the King!?

"I told you to forget about the King! Make your own choice! You have my word that you are free to do so!"

Jaclyn looked away, Mahnu's raised voice did scare her and her words were weird.

Is this what the King liked about her?

…Every time she had raised her voice in front of a male…They didn’t seem to like it at all! In fact…She had seen looks of disdain…

How is it that Mahnu could do it and that I don’t dislike her for it?

Weird…

 

"It is a big decision Jaclyn. I like you because you are honest, but to stay with me, you have to be prepared to protect the biggest secret in Kralaide!"

Jaclyn looked at her, eyes wide in shock. "What do you mean, secret?"

Mahnu smiled at her, "I would tell you everything, but I want you to decide for yourself first whether you stay with us or not."

A secret? So, is it something that the King knows?

"Yes, the King knows. The leader of the Loyal Royal Knights knows, and William does too." She pointed out to William through the window. He was on horseback traveling beside them.

"Miss." He said, through the window, "It isn't life threatening. I will ensure your safety, like I do Mahnu. And if you stay, you could hear all her stories!"

"William!" Mahnu glared at him.

He laughed but didn't talk further.

"Stories? Stories about what?"

Jaclyn continued to get more and more confused, especially when Mahnu nor William didn’t answer her question.

What does stories have to do with secrets?

Was this all a game to them? Are they…Making fun of me?

 

***

 

They traveled in silence again, all the while Jaclyn looked out the window.

Another hour went by and they stopped to eat lunch. No one still had spoken, which surprised Jaclyn.

If they were so keen to have her with them, wouldn't they be pressuring her?

But it was quite the opposite, only confusing her more.

She couldn’t help but think that this was a game! They must be playing her!

"Will you tell me another story tonight, Mahnu?" William suddenly said. He looked relaxed, eating an apple and sitting on the top of the biggest rock not far from them.

Jaclyn stared at his relaxed form and wondered why she questioned if they were playing her.

He looked so…Free.

Eyeing this ‘William’ out, Jaclyn bit down on her own apple, noticing his excitement. He was…Sorta good looking…She thought.

"When will the King be with us again?" Mahnu asked, trying to be serious…Yet, Jaclyn nearly made her spit out some of her fruit.

"They should be here shortly." William answered getting up. He couldn’t believe it…Cute dimples had been staring at him!

He had nearly forgot what he had been talking to Mahnu about, nearly instead going to Cute Dimples to sit beside her instead…Then he heard Mahnu speak, finally reminding him…

"I'd rather give Richard the choice to hear it or not. Besides, now isn't the time to talk of such things."

 

William cleared his throat, and said, "…So, you won't indulge your little brother, even if His Majesty isn't here?"

He then proceeded to pout, wanting Mahnu to indulge him, her little brother!

"Brother? So, you're siblings?" Jaclyn asked.

"Not by blood." Said Mahnu frankly, but nonetheless, William put his face close to Mahnu's, and said, "She agreed to be my older sister, so yes! We are siblings!"

Mahnu sighed and pushed him away, where upon he just winked happily to Jaclyn.

Blinking to the wink, Jaclyn dropped her apple…

Snapping herself back to normal, Jaclyn tried not to even look at the man that winked at her…

Picking up her apple, she frowned, then found another apple fall into her lap.

Seeing William wink at her again, Jaclyn looked at Mahnu, to see her smiling helplessly at William.

Jaclyn watched as the two acted and thought that they do seemed to be close…Probably too close!

Isn’t this lady a consort of the King!?

3