Chapter 46
133 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marcus may have not known that he had taken a step back and suddenly looked stunned, but Mahnu saw it…

Before she lost her chance to speak more to the Marcus that was now listening to her words, she spoke once more, "That's right. You could go that far...But you still love your King and Kralaide! I understand why you are angry! So, if it makes you feel better, use your hate and anger...But only on me! Don't hurt anyone else...”

“…Why don’t we go back...Together...After you have calmed down." Mahnu had no other way, this was it…If he didn’t agree with her and still killed her, then at least she had tried. But…Honestly, she did mean what she said. Marcus was emotional and she knew that he was loyal…She also hoped that it wasn’t too late to turn things around to have Marcus as a hero instead of someone who had done a criminal act.

She didn’t want that! She was also sure that Richard also didn’t want that!

"Haha! Tricks! You want to run as soon as I turn my back!" Marcus stated, but he took another step back without even knowing. Seeing her feet tied and even a red mark around where the rope had moved, an ache settled inside of him and suddenly, he remembered that this person had saved humanity. If it wasn’t for her…

Mahnu coughed again, she tried very hard to ignore the hunger, thirst and pain flowing through her, "If I wanted to run or wanted you killed. I would have snitched your thoughts!"

Seeing that Marcus was starting to think more clearly, Mahnu sighed in relief, she had been honest with her words and hoped that they went through to him.

Even if he didn’t like her, but could go back to Richard’s side, she will then endeavor to do as he asked. If they could not live together like a family, like friends, she was not going to be the one to destroy it!

 

Marcus had been silent for awhile now and Mahnu didn't want to interrupt him. He had thought of what she said to a degree and he somewhat believed her. But why? He looked at her and wondered why she would still want him to return with her when he had hurt her.

His thoughts all changed before Mahnu could stop it. It was such a quick change that Mahnu was startled and didn’t know how to act. His sadness and regret took over and he couldn't even hear her call out his name.

The reason why I had lived, was for the King and Kralaide. I had abandoned my post, I defied the last orders given to me, I ran away, kidnapped His Majesty's woman...Touched her skin, made her bleed and tied her up! There was no chance...I can't go back...

My reason for living...Is gone...

As Marcus’s heart shattered, so did Mahnu’s. She felt is agony as it raced through her, as it raced through him, as he realized that he had done wrong and did not think he could get out of it…

His pain was nearly unbearable as she cringed and tried to get out of the rope, to save him from his thoughts. But what could she do? Douse cold water over him? Kick him? But none of this could be done while she was tied up!

 

Mahnu shouted and shouted, with her voice now so husky that it could hardly be heard, it had no effect!

In sorrow, Mahnu could see his next course of actions…

She couldn't hear her own weeping and wondered why her eyes, that were watching Marcus, were getting blurry. There was just no way...No way she could let him do that! Why was he so closed off now? His mind had even become blank!

He put food and water by her, covered her up with his outer clothing, then cut the rope with his dagger.

Mahnu raced to take the dagger from him but Marcus held it too high. "I will do it myself."

Wiping her eyes, she could still see only blurry objects as she heard is sorrowful voice. His words cut her heart into pieces and she whimpered in despair. "Don't hurt yourself! Please! I don't want the dagger to take your life!"

No, I want the dagger so you can’t take your life! Please Marcus! Don’t do this to Richard!

Marcus tried to push her away gently, but she continued to pester him, so that he wouldn't attempt suicide. "I don't want to hurt you anymore! Move away!"

His yell was full of emotions but that didn't stop her from continuing to try to save his life. But...Marcus had enough...He pushed her down to the ground. Walking to another room, he closed the door and locked it…

 

Mahnu tried to open the door, crying and shouting, "Please! Please! Marcus don't! Don't kill yourself, please!"

His voice went through the door to her, silencing her for a moment. "Look after His Majesty…And all his children."

Tears continued to blur her vision and her hand touched to door softly, in hope that she could still save him.

“You help me, help me look after them, Marcus! I am still learning, I’m still…Please!”

Then...A noise of someone groaning and knife entering flesh stopped her, she even stopped breathing…

Unknowingly, she slumped to the ground and she started to shake her head in defeat, "No! No! Marcus!"

Mahnu wanted to scream, she wanted her voice to be strong enough so that he would open the door for her. But it was so weak, she was so weak!

…Nothing…

There were no thoughts coming from the next room…None…

“No, Marcus! No!”

Letting out mournful cries, Mahnu put her head against the door, not even knowing how much she was trembling.

It's just, so hard...She thought. So hard!

 

She had traveled far, done many things, yet, still couldn’t save a life!

Was this what it was like to lose someone you trusted? To lose someone close to the one you loved?

Her pain went out to Richard, who she knew, valued Marcuse very highly.

So hard…To live…Is living worth going through all this…Loss and sacrifice?

How…What…

Feeling utterly defeated, she felt like her life had just puffed up in smoke. Her hand fell from the door and limply stayed beside her. Her tears fell to the floor and she could hardly feel her legs. Pain, Sorrow, regret...

Humans were pitiful…They were weak…They were emotional and cowardice…

…And it felt like she was becoming more and more like a human. She felt a terrifyingly deep sadness from what she had just experienced, and she really did wonder how many humans went through something like this!

Is this…What it was like being human!?

That life was valued so highly that you wanted to be angry, you wanted to find a way to bring those close to you back! That…It was painful!

One death could make so many sad…Yet, death was a part of a human’s life!

She had never known…Never known this! With just one death…

Something that was bound to happen, happened…How long would have Marcus lived if he hadn’t killed himself? Would he have a family or not? Would he have grown old and grey by His Majesty’s side? If…If she had not come into the King’s life…Would Marcus have lived a long life?

Mahnu tried to block it all out, she didn't want to feel anything anymore. It was all too much!

Not knowing or caring for how long she had spent in that spot, but she didn't move and found herself falling asleep due to exhaustion…

It had been a long time since she welcomed sleep so openly…

 

***

 

Mahnu faintly felt warmth, unconsciously she leaned towards it, so to have it somehow transfer her coldness. She felt like she had been in the dark, with this one spot of light that was making her want to reach out towards it…

Something very nice went down her throat and she drank it hungrily, and now, feeling more comfortable, she drifted back into a deep sleep.

 

 

“He is clean, Your Majesty. He didn't..."

King Richard close his eyes tightly and interrupted the knight, "I get it!"

"What do you want to do with the Leader's body, Your Majesty?" It was clear that this knight really didn’t wanted to deal with this, as their voice was soft and sad.

The King hugged Mahnu tighter in his arms. He didn't know what he was feeling right now. So many mixed emotions and questions made it hard for him to think of how to answer the question...

"Don't...Don't hurt him...Keep...His body safe." Those words were so hard to say. Upon seeing Mahnu as she was, he knew something had happened!

Rope marks, her clothes…Why?

My dearest friend…Why?

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Jaclyn finally finished examining Mahnu, after she had been placed onto a bed, and gave the King a frown. "I would prefer it if she were to wake up and eat."

Getting the food, that was on the floor, Jaclyn looked at it and tasted it.

To make something specifically would take some time, instead Jaclyn took out the big pieces of food from the bowl. The bowl was more like a soup now, so that it would be easier for Mahnu to eat, and then Jaclyn gave it to the King, with some fresh water. "I will make her something, but this should be okay for now.”

 

After having taken Mahnu’s pulse, Jaclyn was a bit upset to see that Mahnu had vomited out everything and had an empty stomach for a number of hours now. Water needed to be replenished as soon as possible, as it looked like Mahnu hadn’t even had that for hours now.

It wasn’t like this was of most importance, as Mahnu would not die, but Jaclyn wanted to do her job, and this was it…Mahnu had to drink and put something into her stomach…Especially since it looked like Mahnu was also very distressed. Being this emotional while pregnant could be scary in the first trimester and Jaclyn wanted to try her best and keep a miscarriage from happening.

King Richard nodded and worried over what she had just said. Both Mahnu and this child was already extremely precious to him, how could he wait one second later to do as the doctor asks!

It was also a welcomed job for him to help him not think of Marcus and of what had happened here before he had arrived.

Having forcefully opened the door, to find Mahnu as she was outside of another door, had taken him completely by surprise. Then, to find her clothes in complete disarray, he had immediately covered her with his cloak, glaring at anyone who had their eyes on her.

Seeing the red marks and line of blood on her exposed body, panic had driven him, and Jaclyn had snapped him out of it by stating to put her on the bed.

With gratitude, the King complied, unable to think for himself at that moment. Except when…

He had nearly dropped Mahnu from his arms when he saw Marcus kneeling with a sword impaled into his body…

Jaclyn had to once again get the King’s attention because for a long moment, all he had done was stand there and stare at Marcus…

 

 

The King tried talking and moving Mahnu, but she didn't wake. Lightly, he taped her cheeks and she still didn't wake. King Richard started to worry and become impatient. "Mahnu! Wake up!"

He pinched her belly in hope to fully awaken her.

Finally, her eyes flattered opened, but she didn't say anything.

King Richard wasn't going to take no as an answer and already went to give her a spoonful of food.

Now, looking at her face…He stopped what he was doing, feeling his heart break.

Tears were forming at her eyes and then she covered her face with her hands. The King pulled at her hands, but she was stubborn.

As she tried to hide from him, he was trying to find her, and not once did he feel that he had any right to loss patience with her. If anything, he felt like this was all his fault! The reason why Marcus…

And the reason why she was not wanting to look at him…It was all his fault!

What could he do?

I need her, I need her to drink and eat…

She was obviously thinking about something sad and he knew…He just knew that he had to try and stop that…So…How was he going to do it! Especially when he was sad as well!?

Putting down the bowl, the King took her into his arms and wrapped her up tightly in his arms.

Rocking her, the King rubbed her back and kissed her wet cheeks…

My sweet Mahnu, what am I going to do?

3