Chapter 10
247 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mahnu had found that her feelings had been changing by the day. It was starting to become even harder for her to stay out of sight from the King.

Letting herself become seen by him today was something she wasn't able to stop. Fighting her feelings had broken down the wall that she had created and her want to be in front of him had won out in the end.

Is this what it's like to have a weakness? She thought.

Suddenly, it seemed worth saving the humans all that time ago…Even if it was for these last couple of days…Even for this short moment in time…

A leaf fell from the tree and King Richard looked up…And there was the maiden looking down at him.

She looked so extremely beautiful that he swore he could stay here like this all day!

From the guard’s point view, it was a nice view of the King in his own thoughts, as Mahnu was out of sight…But if someone could see both of them, it was quite a precious moment for both the King of Kralaide and the Betrayer of Gods.

One was overwhelmed and finally happy to exist, while the other was glad that someone was within their sight and not running away.

For a moment in time, at this very moment, all these two were doing, was staring at one another in a type of an amazement that seemed to bring out the depths of their hearts and souls…

As for staying like this all day, the King suddenly wanted more! Just staring at her didn’t seem to be enough anymore, he wanted…He wanted to know who she was, to speak with her until dawn, until he was satisfied and knew all about her…He also wanted to have her with him, beside him wherever he goes, instead of her hiding away. He wanted to touch…Touch her everywhere! Claim her past, present and future as his and to never let her go!

Was that hope in her eyes, he wondered…Does she hope for me to continue to follow what I want to do?

Giving her a small smile, King Richard slowly walked to the base of the tree and started to climb it. He wished silently that she stays there...Please! I'm coming for you!

 

She heard his plea and felt the common feeling of wanting to run away but questioned why she wasn't.

This man takes over my senses. Ever since I've met him, they just started to belong to him without my consent. I can see colours now, the world is no longer bleak. I can taste the freshness of food through the air. It had been a long time since I've had the urge to eat just because of the way the air smelled! His touch is mesmerizing enough that I lose focus and I can't think! Mahnu shook her head, silently admitting to also having regular baths just because of him.

How could I run away from this kind of world now? A world that I feel like I am finally living! Her entire existence has changed! It seemed, her entire existence had becoming meaningful…At least for this moment…

A fleeting moment of happiness was something that was rarely felt, and this was exactly the reason why Mahnu couldn’t run away. She wanted to grasp this happiness, she wanted to keep it safe and sound and never forget how she feels at this moment…If only time could stand still or that this man would never perish…

Before, I was walking aimlessly over this land with no sincere ambition or excitement. Now, everything feels more real! This man...She thought...He's become very special to me.

…Mahnu wasn't sure whether to laugh or to cry. Her new-found knowledge to how she feels about this man had made her feel scared…And she couldn’t even remember the last time that she was scared…It was at least…Two hundred…No…Four hundred…

 

King Richard balanced himself better in the tree and held out a hand to her.

She looked at it for some time, knowing all too well that this will hurt her in the future.

He wanted her to know that this wasn't just any hand for a hand shake. He wanted to hold her hand to have her beside him, always. To share each other's thoughts and misery's and that she helps him find peace, away from his duties.

He wanted that bond with her so badly that he was worried he had already asked for too much. It wasn't just sexual attraction that he found between them as to why he wanted to be with her. He could hardly describe much, as they haven't spent much time together. But...What he has seen, has been engraved into his memory, making it harder for him to be aware of anything else.

All her faces so far, running away, showing up in front of him, finally hearing her voice for the first time...

It was not something he believed in...Love at first sight...Could it be possible?

Why is it everything she does, seems to hold my gaze? He wondered.

She slowly put her hand in his and looked up at him. Mahnu, for even just a short duration, wanted to hold this hand. She really…Really wanted to hold this hand!

 

His death one day will be very saddening to me, she thought, as she tried to smile at him. Would it be ok...For just a little while...To stay with him?

Her smile was sad, and he wondered if she regretted it already.

He held her hand tighter. "I really don't want to let go of this hand, you know that?"

She nodded.

I don't either, she thought, but will you keep chasing after me if I let go?

Like magnets, slowly they balanced closer to one another and he put their hands still together between them and lifted the hands to his lips, kissing her fingers. Then he lifted his head to kiss her.

She had given in to the want she had for him and she kissed him back for the first time. After she did that, she noticed that it was a lot different to a one-sided kiss. She hardly knew what she was doing but she felt his warmth and breath becoming a part of her. Mahnu had never really paid much attention to other people when they had kissed but can somewhat understand now that kissing was another kind of communication. She could feel that King Richard longed for her touch and that feeling seemed contagious, as she started to feel the same too.

King Richard could suddenly feel that the maiden had been hiding some feelings and a rush of heat filled him, making him notice that he was uncomfortable now.

He stopped the kiss and tried to breath properly. Excitement had not been something he usually feels but there was so much of it now that he didn't know what to do next!

"What is your name?" He asked.

He wanted to call her name, let her know how special she was.

"Mahnu."

 

King Richard breathed out, smiling, her voice was also beautiful.

Suddenly, she turned her head, "Your guards are looking for you."

The King smiled, still holding her hand. "Mmm?"

He was so happy...In a tree, uncomfortable, about to be discovered. But so damned happy!

She stifled out a laugh and he asked her what was so funny.

"Now, you're as innocent as a child...But you mature when it's business."

He is sure now, she had been watching him closely. She is so cheeky! He thought, smiling.

King Richard leaned his forehead against hers and simply said, "Yeah. Right now, only with you."

"They are nearly here." Mahnu whispered.

He sighed.

She put her other hand around him, put her leg over the branch, telling him to do the same, and jumped down to the ground. Her strength continued to amaze him, as did everything else.

He took her in his arms, then said, "Stay close." Kissing her once again.

The guards ran out towards them at this moment.

"Your...Majesty!"

The King let her go and walked towards the guards and their curious glances. Turning back once, to see that ‘Mahnu’ was still there this time and even looking right back at him, making him smile. His smile grew even wider, knowing that she had been blushing and that it was all his doing!

I am lucky indeed, she had not just talked to me, he thought, but also stayed there this time and not disappeared!

 

King Richard tried to pay attention, but it had come to no use. What had just happened between them was a big step that he had been waiting for. Being accepted by her, finally, made him feel a weight off his shoulders.

She had lit a fire under his feet and he wanted her to put her feet there as well!

There were so many things he didn't know about her, and yet, she was the person he wanted to know the most.

But, he thought suddenly, how did she know about the guards? About the Princess and knowing what she wanted without saying a word?

He wondered if it were possible that she could hear someone, even if they don't speak. And if she did, what have I thought while being with her? Should I be embarrassed?

King Richard remembered her face sometimes and thought that it had to be possible!

Then, again, he remembers her voice.

Mmm, he thought, as he asked for some wine to celebrate his victory.

 

***

 

The Queen waved her hand, turning away, "Very well, you may leave."

"Yes, Your Highness."

The Queen waited, as her loyal maid servant left her alone after telling her of the news that the King had been seen kissing another woman.

It hadn't happened before, so the Queen was unsure on how to act, King Richard had never cared for other women besides her, so why now?

She wonders who would dare try to kiss the King and wants to ask him directly!

Being the Queen and that of the main power of the inner court, she had the power to know of this woman!

Afterall, her position was that of looking after the females in this palace and she knew this very well!

Yet, having all this power, she had not had to use it till this very day, as the King was quite a boring and faithful King, which only made her happy!

If the King was seen kissing someone within the inner palace, the Queen felt like she had every right to find out which maid had the guts to make the King stray towards such a person…Because who else could it be but a maid, as there were no concubines…

Knowing that she had already bore two children to the King, it still wasn’t enough for the Queen’s satisfaction. Perhaps it was habit or her natural instinct…But any women trying to obtain the man that she had married, was someone that she had to erase!

Shaking her head, the Queen sat down in haste, her father had warned her of losing the King's interest.

Everything was going so smoothly, making the Queen sigh, why must there be something to break the peace!

...Trying to formulate a plan, the Queen sighed in frustration.

 

***

 

Mahnu questions why she had finally spoken as she went, secretly, to the King's next chosen destination.

Upon hearing close by thoughts, Mahnu leapt from the roof, to the tree close by, and took someone's hand, jumping to the ground straight after. Another assassin had made it all the way to the tree close by to the bathing chambers!

As quickly as she could, she tied him up and gagged him and took him away. Having had forcefully made him fall from the tree and have him hit the ground hard upon landing had helped a great deal, so tying him up wasn’t hard. It probably didn’t help that this assassin had also seen that he was beaten quite harshly by a woman, as they seemed slightly stunned as well…

Her quickness of step was obtained hundreds of years ago. Her strength though, she knew, was just a part of every God when they are created…

Before Mahnu had lost her speech, she had been quite determined to help those who suffered. In those years, she had told stories about the former Kings and Queens and passed some much-needed knowledge to the less populated towns.

During that time, she had become a student to a monk that had lived in the west, who knew of martial arts. They had met while she was trying to defend some young girls being forcefully taken away by thugs. The monk thought she wouldn't become a ‘warlord’ and wouldn’t use martial arts as a weapon, so he had chosen to teach her openly.

Mahnu remembered how astonished he was on how fast she had picked up his techniques, but it was because she was able to train without any sleep.

She had stayed with him for six months and in that six months she had learnt all but one of his techniques. The last one was for her to call him master and stay by his side to be taught upon other things, like medicine. Mahnu not only knew basic information about medicine but she remembered feeling less and less inclined to stay with him…The monk’s thoughts were of thinking that she was special, perhaps someone that could change the world…And his opinion of her scared Mahnu enough to leave him faster, to continue her travels.

Upon leaving with her thanks, she gifted him an old book that he had wished for many times in his thoughts…

Rarely does she think of this monk now…She is grateful, yes, but she was far from someone who would change the world!

It seems that would be the reason she would prefer to forget this person…

 

***

3