The Implock – Chapter 95 – “Evolve”
1.1k 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

∼ Evolve

Chapter - 95

[Due to divine intervention, appropriate rewards have been met with the challenge]

[Reward: Second Circle Mark of SinThird Circle Mark of Sin]

[Reward: Vainlord - (Evolution)]

∼Prove yourself worthy∼

[Do you accept the Vain Mother's challenge?]

[Y/N]

It was sufficient to say that Nyx was rather flabbergasted at these most unexpected developments. Yet real they were. Currently glaring with utter contempt down upon him. The Vainlord just stood there atop his pedestal, arms crossed with little to no regard for Nyx's presence other than the disdain seemingly ingrained within the very fabric of its being.

Never in his wildest imaginations had Nyx expected he'd have to defeat his evolution if he wanted it. Aria definitely hadn't mentioned any of the sort even being possible. But here it was, presented in a prompt from the System itself no less. He supposed it had something to do with this so-called "divine intervention" and "the Vain Mother watches". Ominous to be sure.

Nyx knew by now what gods were, however, he supposed that it was something he should look into a bit more once he returned to Boreas. A lot of unanswered questions sure had been building up during this more... scenic route of his through the Spine. But thoughts of returning home could wait. The only pressing question that mattered now, was the one presented by the System.

He looked up, into those lustrous golden eyes that squinted in response to Nyx's gaze. There was an indignant rage in the Vainlord's eyes as if he loathed merely the thought of Nyx ascending to a being like his own. The Vainlord would simply not allow it.

The imp's first reaction as its presence engulfed him was; danger - certain death. His instincts screamed for him to run. That this was not a fight he could win. Yet... he wasn't supposed to win. He needed only to prove himself worthy. And this... thing thought him not worthy.

It dared.

Before Nyx fully understood the ramifications of his choice, the screen disappeared from his mind, and only the echo of the system remained to die out.

∼[Yes]∼

The Vainlord's mouth curled back to sneer at Nyx as he realized the damn imp wasn't backing down, long and sharp canines flashing with deadly malice as the pedestal on which he stood started to descend back into the ground.

Nyx's hands ignited in fire, one of [Demonbolt] and the other of [Impfire]. He did not hesitate to throw it at the Vainlord. Just to test out the waters. With but a snort, the Vainlord almost lazily batted the projectiles away with the back of his hand, the [Demonbolt] pinging off to the side with a crackle and the [Impfire] cascading into a fall of liquidy fire that sprayed out like a cone on the ground. A slight scorch mark and the hiss of demonic mana fizzling out was all it had done to his hand. The Vainlord lifted it up to see, merely to snort at the pitiful result.

Nyx of course hadn't expected much damage from the probe. But this? More than anything, he hadn't anticipated just how effortless it would be for the Vainlord to shrug them both off. Either he needed a better vantage for his fire magic, or he needed to stick to fighting with his fists and claws.

He moved to summon Fisty, however, to his surprise and great frustration, [Summon Familiar] didn't heed his call. He couldn't even infuse his mana into it. Nyx cursed. He reasoned that either the System must've restricted him or maybe it was because he couldn't bring her into this strange space. Either way, he was on his own.

Time was up, as now it was the Vainlord's turn to attack. Even as it still stalked towards Nyx at an unhurried pace, menace pouring off it in droves, mana started roiling within the demon, slowly creating waves of power to oscillate around its form. With how much power within this creature, even from this distance, Nyx could feel it clearly. Yet, it didn't do anything but stalk forward menacingly - no gestures or incantations. Nyx soon came to understand why.

A spark of golden fire in the air behind the demon hailed a ball of flames that sprouted to life as if igniting air itself to take life. Then another. And another. Balls of golden fire continued sparking themselves into existence until they became a ring of floating flaming orbs that rotated behind his head and back. Hoisted up vertically. As if a halo.

Nyx was mesmerized. Not only by the display of magic finesse but the raw power in which it had been conjured. Those balls of golden fire felt eerily similar to his [Impfire], yet much more powerful. However, Nyx suddenly had little to no time to react as one of the balls launched itself straight at him. He threw himself to the side, only narrowly avoiding the speeding projectile as it roared with a crackle through the air.

A small bang shook Nyx and he felt heat billow at his back. Glancing back, Nyx found himself wide-eyed. They were definitely more powerful than his [Impfire]... But as much as he wanted to admire the golden fire that was spread across the ground with liquidy golden flames, another ball was incoming, Nyx scampering out of the line of fire.

Nyx was running around, dancing for purchase and balance as the Vainlord rained a continuous volley of fireballs down upon him. But even with Nyx's considerable dexterity and agile build, he couldn't avoid them all. As he glanced for just a moment back at his assailant, he saw the danger in the form of a bright pin-prick that in the very next moment became a fireball only a few feet from him. Nyx had only time to conjure [Demonic Barrier].

*BOOM*

[You have taken 4 damage!]

Nyx rocketed back as the barrier shattered, the spell at least taking the brunt of the attack. If he had been sound of mind right now, the imp would've been impressed by the sheer force within that attack which the Vainlord could seemingly pepper him down with. But as he came to, having rolled across the ground, he laid on his stomach, propped up in his forearms as he tried to get back up.

But right in front of him, he found two red feet. Nyx, yet again, had not the time to act as he was kicked with such force that it sent him sprawling across the ground a second time.

[You have taken 6 damage!]

Nyx groaned, attempting to get air back into his lungs. Still, he managed to get back to his feet, as shaky as they were. He was disoriented and shocked - but in one piece. Actually winning this fight hadn't even been a stray thought before it had started, but to be utterly trounced as he was? Nyx looked up to see the Vainlord lazily strolling towards him, a slightly amused but ultimately disdaining look on its face. He truly realized now in that moment, that the Vainlord was merely playing with him. It hadn't even exerted itself the slightest bit as it was completely relaxed, observing Nyx as if was searching for something on his expression.

The greater demon seemed like it wanted to teach him a lesson for daring to accept the challenge.

In sheer spite though, Nyx decided not to give it the satisfaction. So he got back into a fighting position. Oh... The Vainlord didn't like that. Oh-no, he didn't... It was clear now that it wanted to see nothing but fear and submission, of which Nyx would give neither. His act of defiance was like spitting it right in its face.

The Vainlord abruptly charged. This time, however, Nyx was more prepared. New balls of fire were forming in the halo even as the Vainlord ran with tremendous speed, firing off nearly the moment they had.

Instead of running away again, Nyx too charged head-on, throwing spells of his own to intercept the Vainlord's magic. Though Nyx's speed of spell construction and mana channeling weren't nearly as fast as the greater demon's, it was more than enough for him to easily slide under the fireballs as their trajectories were more predictable. In his slide, Nyx used [Wither] which seemed to take the Vainlord off guard as it growled with realization the moment its movements became ever so slightly more sluggish. The spell didn't do much with the higher-tiered demon's innate magical resistance, but it was just enough.

Nyx came out of his slide with a leap, arm outstretched, a gibbering cry on his lips, and claws poised to take out an eye.

[You have taken 26 damage!]

As his claws met flesh, hot agony shot through his shoulder and arm nearly a split second after. The pain almost wasn't real for a moment as Nyx crashed to the ground, as he bounced off the Vainlord who had turned and shielded its face. On the ground, Nyx was trying to understand why exactly his brain was screaming that something was wrong.

All he could feel was heat and distant pain. Yet, distant it was for only a few seconds more. As he looked down at his nearly severed left arm, the one had used to strike the Vainlord with, its white ivory bone and pink meat were visible. The cut had been so clean, that blood hadn't even had the time to come out and cover the brutal gore. His shoulder and arm were only hanging on by some skin, muscle fibers, and sinew.

The sudden nauseating reality of the situation had Nyx's mind blank. He could barely think. But as he looked up, he saw what had crippled him. Dancing with deadly intent and allure, the Vainlord's tail silent swiped the air about, the faintest smear of blood on its bladed spike. The Vainlord himself was looking in the palm of his. There was blood on it. His own blood. Trickling down from his temple, across his brow, and down his cheek ran the claw mark's from Nyx's attack.

He had failed in taking out an eye and the cuts were shallow, but the Vainlord was anything but pleased in the face of how close he had come. That fact that a mere imp had dared to take up a challenge against it but also draw its blood. It wanted more than pain and death wrought on Nyx now...

"GY-ARGH!" Nyx exclaimed as the Vainlord's tail suddenly pierced through his wrist, lifting him up on his already nearly severed arm and making pure torment scream through his body with renewed vigor. His tail was all he needed to lift Nyx up as the imp gasped in pain. Yet, the feisty little thing, even in all pain and daze, kept swiping wildly at him with its one remaining good arm, his entire body dangling from a torn piece of meat.

The Vainlord just stood there, however, arms crossed with a look of disgust and hatred as Nyx futilely struggled.

Getting enough of his flailing, he delivered a resounding backhand to the imp's head, sending him swinging - stunned. Nyx could barely form a coherent thought, let alone fight back. Yet, his instincts drove his body now as it feebly reached for the Vainlord that was still out of reach.

The Vainlord stood there, head cocked as its eyes narrowed. There was indignation for Nyx daring to be in his presence let alone think he could fight him. There was disdain as a superior being looking down on the lesser demon before him. And there was the hatred for Nyx having actually wounded him. No - pain or death wouldn't nearly be enough.

It was then that the Vainlord finally spoke its first word.

"-Submit."

Simple, yet it shook Nyx to his core with a strange, almost ethereal influence.

Nyx was stunned on a plane entirely different from the physical. He wasn't sure what was happening but it seemed the Vainlord was impressing its very will itself upon Nyx's mind. It was a dreadful sensation, like links of heavy chains slowly snaking around his wrists whole their lengths forced to be carried on his shoulders. The Vainlord was trying to make him his servant. To subjugate his very being. Nyx felt despair for the first time in a very long time. Something he hadn't felt since he was but a lowly impling. A bottom feeder. Was he still... that?

No...

Nyx recognized being weaker. But admitting to being inferior? This bastard has another thing coming if he thought this imp would ever bow to anyone. To bend a knee. To submit. To surrender. To abandon his ego. Even in the face of otherwise certain death. To Nyx, it was like asking for water to not be wet.

His pride would have none of it. His [Mark of Pride] suddenly flared with indignant hubris, erasing the Vainlord's influence like a wave of fire. The greater demon snarled with contempt at the effort. "Submit." He echoed a second time, his authoritative influence surged to assault Nyx's mind once more.

Yet, another wave of defiant fire met it.

The clashing prides sent Nyx's mind aflame with even more confusion and pain. But the imp did not relent as light slowly returned to his eyes and the fire of his hubris with it. He glared right into the golden gaze of the Vainlord with nothing but indignant defiance.

"SUBMIT!" The Vainlord bellowed, power surging.

As if with its strings cut, the imp went completely limp as his mind and will finally snapped. Panting and slightly panicked, the Vainlord blinked, shocked that this little pathetic lesser demon had lasted that long. He smirked though. Ultimately, it had been just another inferior demon. Only he himself was worthy.

Suddenly, however, the previously limb demon, in a display of shocking determination, ripped himself free from what little flesh clung to the bone popping out of the socket with the sound of tearing muscle and sinew. It was so sudden and startling that the Vainlord had no time to react. He could only watch as the one-armed imp was taken by gravity, claws poised to rob the Vainlord of something most precious to him.

But there was no hesitation as Nyx's eyes screamed pure malice, his claws tearing through the thin fabric of his waist and right through the soft valuables beneath. It was a painful sight as Nyx plumbed to the ground, his prize landing beside him in an unrecognizable heap of blood and cloth. Yet, an impish smile remained on his face. The scream that it elicited from the Vainlord was all worth it. Even as Nyx saw the stomp for his head coming. At least he died knowing that fucker would never be able to forget him. For the rest of its life as it looked down.

Nyx had simply taken a limb for a limb, so to speak. He could only grin maliciously up at the now limb-lesser Vainlord.

That had a nice ring to it, didn't it?

If you wish to support Tales of the Implock and me, along with getting access to 10 chapters ahead of public release and Discord rewards, head on over to my Patreon!clear.png

To join the community, discuss the latest chapters, talk novels with like-minded basement dwellers, and much more - you can join the Discord!clear.png

24