The Implock – Chapter 96 – “Class Specialization”
802 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Apologies for missing last yesterday's chapter. Had just finished the practical test for my driver's license the same day - and I passed! As relieved and happy as I was about that, I pretty much went into a coma the second I came home, exhaustion and nerves getting the better of me. Anyways, I'll be back on track for this week hopefully. So see ya all on the road! And as always, enjoy.

∼ Class Specialization

Chapter - 96

Nyx's eyes opened slowly, something he hadn't expected he'd be able to...

Had he not just... died? The imp pushed himself up on his palms then frowned. Something wasn't quite right. Then he remembered it—his arm was back! In fact, it seemed to have never been lost to him. Completely without wound or scar despite the visceral sensation of ripping it off still being perfectly clear in his head. Nevertheless, he was entirely fine, just as he had been right before the challenge.

Looking around, he found himself in the same gray space - this time with the Vainlord nowhere in sight. Nyx was befuddled. But the prompt that appeared next seemed to explain everything.

[Challenge Success]

You have proven yourself worthy of a Vainlord

∼ The Vain Mother has taken great interest in you ∼

Your Mark of Sin - (Mark of Pride) has reached the 3rd-circle, power unlocked.

Title Changed - Bearer of Pride (Demonism Title) → Herald of Pride (Demonism Title)

Trait Gained - Demon Heraldry (Nobility Trait)

Whether or not he had been in actual mortal danger the entire time, Nyx wasn't sure. But what was for certain was the fact that he had succeeded. He had proved himself worthy in the eyes of the System or whatever divine entity had issued the challenge, though by what means was a memory preferably forgotten...

Nyx collapsed to his butt, just sitting there for a moment. Taking in the fact that he was still alive.

He had been thoroughly trounced by that greater demon. More than he had ever been before. It was humiliating - it was humbling. He had been at death's door, and seeing himself crippled by someone who had merely played with him had shaken Nyx to his core. He rubbed his shoulder absentmindedly, making sure it was really all back to normal. He could still feel the phantom pain.

However, as much as he wanted to just sit there, he knew he had to get on with it. The System was awaiting his attention.

He got up, inspecting himself just to make sure. His initial beliefs that he remained unharmed and unchanged, however, were soon proven to be wrong. It was kind of hard to see, craning his neck as he did. But just in the corner of his eye, he noticed the start of a black streak at the base of his neck. "Huh?" He mused with a confused sound, tracing with a finger. It wasn't a wound or scab. No, it was in his skin. Following the streak, he came to understand. It lined up with his [Mark of Pride]. It was his [Mark of Pride]. Had it changed? He wasn't sure as there weren't exactly any mirrors in here. But since his mark had just reached the third circle, whatever that meant, it must have something to do with it - right?

That was something to explore later.

As if sensing Nyx's wishes to move on, the System responded with a prompt.

[Class Specialization]

∼Choose your path∼

Nyx was surprised. But it would seem the System had just been holding on to his class advancement until he had finished his evolution selection. He just shrugged, excited to get it out of the way. Suddenly appearing as if out of thin air, three roads, each one different, and each one disappearing into the distance came into being surrounding him.

Standing on each road facing Nyx, was a figure. Veiled and mysterious.

Unlike evolutions, whenever an enlightened had to specialize in their class upon reaching the threshold of twenty-five, they always had at most three choices. Often less, but never more. Out of dozens upon dozens of specializations for every single base class that existed, most ever unlocked the possibility of choosing only one. This was because of both ludicrous and strange requirements for specialization, and those few who actually knew what those requirements are, keep it secret so that they can hide that valuable knowledge within heritages that they pass on to only those they seem fit.

That is why, it is often a fool's errand to pick a class they have no hope to further despite it being better than other choices, else it could leave them forever stuck without the knowledge to progress. But Nyx was already kind of in that boat. His circumstances were so out there, that he'd have almost no hope of getting help from an experienced professional or veteran that walked his path. For all Nyx knew, he was most likely the first one to ever walk this path. So he worried not. It was pointless to do so.

He looked around, noting the first figure already being unveiled.

Upon the first road, one of strange vegetation in colors of purple, red, and black stood - to Nyx's great surprise and sudden fright - the Vainlord. However, Nyx soon came to realize it was just another imitation and wasn't actually the same as the one he had fought.

The difference between this Vainlord and the previous, while not obvious to most - other than the self-absorbed Nyx or the perceptive Aria - was that Nyx could actually... recognize himself in it. It was his features, kind of... But aside from that, it was also the fact that it was clothed differently. Or rather, it was just more clothed.

The Vainlord he had fought had donned nothing more than a simple loincloth, of which had admittedly done little to nothing in protecting his valuables. In comparison this one, in the image of Nyx himself, wore a mix of loose-fitting clothes and armor. But one could hardly call it armor. He almost looked like a barbarian of some sort. Besides all that, the only other thing of note was the menacing scowl on his face, as if he was a feral animal.

Nyx was intrigued, but his attention was captured by the next figure whose visage was unveiled by the System almost right after.

Standing upon a trodden muddy road, was another imitation. However, he was not alone. In fact, he was far from alone. To his back, stood a menagerie of demons. Imps, hellhounds, fiends, and more. The Vainlord himself was fitted in dark and concealing robes, a hood hiding his face. But in his hand, was a large staff that hummed with power. "A magical artifact?" Nyx muttered covetously.

Greed slowly overtook Nyx, wanting that staff for himself. But he caught himself before he did anything stupid. It was just a fake. It wasn't actually real. Or at least, it was only real for now - as long as the System wished it to be.

Last up was just as interesting as the previous one. The road was one of fire and brimstone, and upon it stood a third Vainlord, chest bare and a slightly manic expression on his face. He wore a long skirt of shorts of red and black cloths, greasy with sod and burn marks. Other than that, he had only a twin pair of bronze-ish bracers on his forearms and a short scepter in his hand, the weapon burning like a torch. That too was evidently a magical artifact of great fiery power that once more kindled Nyx's avarice. Suffice to say, besides expressions, presences, and general impressions, they all seemed pretty damn powerful.

Nyx then looked over what each offered with great enthusiasm.

∼Demoniac∼ (Specialization - Epic)
[Attribute Gain] [Skills and Traits]
Vitality (+1) Endurance (+1) Intelligence (+2) Unallocated Attributes (+1) Embody - (Specialization Skill)
       
[Prerequisites]
[Skills and Masteries] [General]
Hand-to-Hand Combat - [Superior], Words of Power - [Moderate] Rune of Embodiment, High Demonic-based Accomplishment, Demonic-mana Affinity
           
[Description]
Demoniacs, demon-crazed battlemages. Unreliable, unstable, and often insane, these reckless warlocks have completely surrendered themselves to the demonic, manifesting the very demons they bond. Both body and mind bear the ever-corruption strain in exchange for unbridled power, leaving them vulnerable of mind yet strong of might. Whether to their own swift demise or great potential, it is without question that they wield unmatched power.
∼Demonologist∼ (Specialization - Epic)
[Attribute Gain] [Skills and Traits]
Intelligence (+3) Unallocated Attributes (+2) Demonic Horde - (Specialization Skill)
       
[Prerequisites]
[Skills and Masteries] [General]
Summon Familiar - [Moderate], Demonology - [Superior], Mana Manipulation - [Moderate] High Demonic-based Accomplishment, Demonic-mana Affinity
           
[Description]
Demonologists, puppeteers of great demonic hordes. Walking anchors to the infernal beyond, they command numerous familiars and demonic spawn. Equipped with curses, powerful spells, and supporting auras, they are armies themselves. To fight a Demonologist is often a fruitless endeavor, as none can withstand - the horde.
∼Infernal Caller∼ (Specialization - Epic)
[Attribute Gain] [Skills and Traits]
Intelligence (+4) Unallocated Attributes (+1) Infernus - (Specialization Skill)
       
[Prerequisites]
[Skills and Masteries] [General]
Demonbolt - [Peak], Mana Manipulation - [Superior] Extreme Fire-based Accomplishment, Fire-mana Affinity
           
[Description]
Infernal Callers, conjurers of the very flames of the Netherworld itself. These warlocks are destruction incarnate. Calling upon the pit flames and fires of the infernal abyss, they leave but smoldering ruins and ash in their wake. Specializing in fire magic, Infernal Callers often leave no room for considering safety, betting all on incinerating their foes before they ever come close. A strategy that all living Infernal Callers find utmost effective. Fear the flames of the infernals - for they are inescapable and all-consuming.

If you wish to support Tales of the Implock and me, along with getting access to 10 chapters ahead of public release and Discord rewards, head on over to my Patreon!clear.png

New Patrons Shoutout!: (Richard Vazsonyi)

To join the community, discuss the latest chapters, talk novels with like-minded basement dwellers, and much more - you can join the Discord!clear.png

23