The Implock – Chapter 99 – “Waking Anew”
729 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

∼ Waking Anew ∼

Chapter - 99

Waking from a deep slumber anew, a wave of demonic mana was expelled in every direction as if burst from a bubble. The newly inaugurated Vainlord felt himself brimming with power. He had barely moved, yet he knew he fundamentally was different - strange new sensations coursing through body and mind. It all felt... different. Stronger. Prideful.

He raised his hands to see not wiry and clawed fingers, but firm and strong hands. Even in the darkness of the cave, he saw his pristine red skin as clear as day, its glamor greater than ever before. "This is..." He paused, startled. "-new..." No longer raspy and shrill, he was surprised to find his voice light and smooth. Not quite human, but not quite impish anymore either. If he had to pose as a human now instead of a gnome, he'd have to learn how to control his voice lest he be outed for what he truly was.

As the newly-minted greater demon rose to his feet, a dashing smile came to his lips. However, it soon faltered as his eyes narrowed. Thoughts of a previous past - running about in the world as a lesser creature - fraternizing with inferior beings - and carrying himself in a humiliating series of events, ran through his mind. The Vainlord felt... disgusted. This Eric, that Aria, those humans... lesser lifeforms. How could he ever have called himself prideful all that time? Before now, he had allowed such embarrassing behavior. Nevermore. Nevermore. Once he returned to that degenerate human den, Boreas, he'd find those two and everyone who had gone unpunished for sullying his pride. And then he'd... he'd... kill them?

The Vainlord's frown deepened.

Something wasn't quite right... These thoughts. They weren't his... This pride. Was he it? Or it - his? Who... was he?

Turmoiled thoughts wracked the demon's head. Then a memory surfaced. One of a small, musky room, morning sun rays spilling through windows and across old floorboards. A soft but smelly bed. And two figures. A pointed-eared redhead and a punchable curly-haired human.

"So, what about a name? Would make it easier for us." One said. "A name? Hm," The other mused. "I was thinking that anklebiter-" The human so rudely tried. But the elfen girl shook her head, cutting him off. "No. Nyx - we will call him Nyx."

Nyx, ah - that was right. He was Nyx, the magnificent red. These invasive thoughts and the pride that had taken a life of itself. It would seem that the Vainlord evolution Nyx hadn't been quite done with him yet for robbing it of its manhood and dignity.

Too bad for that dickless prick, for this demon wasn't going to let anyone mess with his head! He was not a slave to his pride. He did not bow it - it bowed to him!

Nyx's dashing smile returned, just ever so slightly more impish this time.

Congratulations, you've successfully evolved into Fabled-Rarity Greater Demon - Vainlord!

Gained - Demonic Halo (Racial Skill)

Gained - Arcanic Rake (Racial Trait)

Gained - Monstrous Subjugation (Racial Trait)

Congratulations, you've successfully specialized in Epic-Rarity Adept Rank - Demoniac!

Gained - Embody (Specialization Skill)

Status
Information
Attributes
Name Nyx Health 350/350 STR 36 END 5
Race Vainlord Stamina 72/72 DEX 19 INT 52
Level 25 - (0%) Mana 18/18 (20*) VIT 14 CHR 8
Class
Main-Class Warlock (Demoniac) Rank Adept Grade Epic
Sub-Class None Rank None Grade None
Traits
Arcanic Rake - (Racial), Air of the Herald - (Nobility), Demonhide - (Racial), Fire Resistance - (Racial), Mark of Pride - (Demonism), Monstrous Subjugation - (Racial Trait)
Titles
Herald of Pride - (Nobility), Slayer of Humans (Slayer)
Skills
 Demonbolt - [Peak], Demonic Halo - [Inferior], Drain - [Moderate], Embody - [Inferior], Inspect - [Inferior], Impfire - [Moderate], Summon Familiar - [Moderate], Wither - [Moderate]
Masteries
Proficiencies
Techniques
Demonology - [Superior], Hand-to-Hand Combat - [Peak], Mana Manipulation - [Superior], Riding - [Inferior], Words of Power - [Moderate] None

This was what he had been striving so hard for. True power. While he might've been strong as an imp, he had been nothing but unrealized potential. Now, that day had finally come. Where his attributes were no longer hamstrung by his small size, lacking skill, and the incompatibility with his masteries.

Nyx did not hesitate to pull up his new skills, eagerly perusing their information.

[Demonic Halo]
Category Base Cost Level Grade
Racial Skill - (Utility Spell) 10 - (Mana) Inferior 2nd
Description
Effects
A creature of magic, the Vainlord personifies elegant conjuration. Creating an auxiliary magical construct, the demon can store spells that can be shot at a moment's notice, raining fiery death upon their foes without as much as lifting a hand.

-Store two offensive projectile spells-

-Potency penalty 50%-

-Mana cost reduction 25%-

[Embody]
Category Base Cost Level Rank Advancement
Specialization Skill - (Utility Spell) 15 - (Mana) Inferior Apprentice None
Description
Effects
Embodiment - assuming the form of demons - is the way of the Demoniac. Through the bond of souls, the warlock embodies their familiars, taking on part of their traits, power, and even skills.

-Embody one familiar-

-Minor main attribute acquisition-

-Minor secondary attribute acquisition-

[Arcanic Rake]
Category Rarity
Racial Trait Epic
Effects

-Siphons Remnant Mana-

-Empowers Attacks-

Description
Channeling mana, casting spells, and striking your foes, causes latent mana builds up in the hands of the demon, greatly empowering their attacks done with both fists and claws.
[Monstrous Subjugation]
Category Rarity
Racial Trait Fabled
Effects

-Intrinsic Subduement-

-Unlock Potential-

Description
A lord. A king. The Vainlord is a supreme being. Subjugating the otherwise unsubduable. Monsters. Defeating the creatures of chaos, the Vainlord imposes their will upon their minds, shackling them as loyal subjects so they too may shine in the glory of their lord. For only in the light of their master can their potential be realized.
[Air of the Herald]
Category Rarity
Nobility Trait Fabled
Effects

-Greater Influence-

-Empowered Aura-

Description
Herald, you stand as the fulcrum of the Vain Mother and all her desires. Bring about the vainful exaltation of her light, bring about magnificent splendor of her grandeur - bring about pride.

Nyx was practically frothing at the mouth as he read each new skill and trait, itching to try them out, a bare modicum of restraint stopping him from doing it this very moment. Appraising each one, he made sure to understand what each truly did. While, of course, the descriptions could never truly capture how each skill and trait worked and played out, Nyx had been lucky to see most of them in action already. Though, 'lucky' in this particular case was a little objective. He still shivered at the thought of being so royally demonhandled again...

Anyway… From [Demonic Halo] to [Arcanic Rake], and even [Monstrous Subjugation], he had experienced them all first hand. Initial impressions? Powerful.

Right off the bat, Nyx knew that [Demonic Halo] would be an incredibly useful addition to his repertoire. From how effortlessly it had been for the Vainlord to bog down Nyx, this skill was the evolution worth alone. After all, the greater demon hadn't even been trying. Possessing the actual skill description now though, it managed to shed some light on the specifics. For example, Nyx was surprised to see the trade-off between the stored spells' potency and their cost. It went without saying that this would change as he ranked up the skill, but it was unfortunate that a penalty was put on the power of his conjurations with that skill. Its base cost was a little high too, but that was partly because his mana pool was lower than what should've been for his current level. Something that needed fixing.

Moving on, there was [Arcanic Rake]. Rather simple, straightforward, and undoubtedly powerful. In tandem with [Demonic Halo], he could focus on fighting even while casting magic - though it'd probably take some practice getting right. Regardless, the fact that even casting spells now would empower his attacks was a welcome augmentation to his fighting style. Remembering how the Vainlord's every attack had been infused with mana, making his every attack that much more powerful despite not even putting in his full strength, made Nyx excited for the future. Just how much power could he charge up in his attacks? It was worth finding out, for sure.

[Monstrous Subjugation], an ominous skill. But powerful nonetheless. When Nyx had felt the soul-crushing pressure of the Vainlord's will imposed on his mind near his breaking point, it was the only thing that had truly terrified him about that demon. He knew that if he had succumbed, he'd have become just another subject. A servant.

Whether the System would've actually let that scenario play out or not, Nyx hadn't the faint idea. Where he did have one, though - an idea that is; was that this skill was arguably the core of the Vainlord evolution. It was in the description after all. A king of monsters. That had a nice ring to it, didn't it? Although Nyx had no such plans of creating an empire of both bestial and monstrous creatures just yet, it was an enticing idea. If these humans truly did not want him in their kingdom someday - why not just build his own?

Needless thoughts. Nyx shook them from his head. It was no use thinking about that now.

Bringing about a lot, the Vainlord evolution was something worthy of the Fabled-rarity. Yet, the changes did not stop there. For his class had specialized too, proffering probably the most unique skill out of everything. [Embody]. Straying for the way of the mage, this core skill, around which his class was now supposed to revolve, he'll actually be benefiting from being in the thick of it.

It didn't sound nearly as flashy or powerful as the others, but reading its description sure put any doubts of it not being to rest. The thought of taking on some of Fisty's considerable strength and speed was tantalizing. While fifteen mana as a base cost was a steep price, the benefits remained obvious.

That reminded Nyx of another thing. One thing mentioned by Aria about an integral element of the warlock class. One of the biggest if not the biggest reason why warlocks were so powerful compared to ordinary casters. Regardless of most advancements and specializations, a warlock would always, at each threshold of his class, receive another familiar slot. Meaning; that he could get a second minion!

He held off jumping back into the infernal plane for now though. For he hadn't been the only one who had an evolution lined up.

If you wish to support Tales of the Implock and me, along with getting access to 10 chapters ahead of public release and Discord rewards, head on over to my Patreon!clear.png

New Patrons Shoutout!: (Aveen Arya, That guy)

To join the community, discuss the latest chapters, talk novels with like-minded basement dwellers, and much more - you can join the Discord!clear.png

25