The Implock – Chapter 105 – “The Third Stratum”
2.1k 6 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

∼ The Third Stratum ∼

Chapter - 105

In a situation comically similar to where his real body still remained, Nyx's was now within another dome. The veil between the storm and his projection. He got up and ran his fingers against it, feeling the demonic mana lash at him only to be absorbed. This was no longer an obstacle to him.

Without as much as the slightest resistance, Nyx passed through the first veil. What laid beyond surprised the new Vainlord. No longer an uninterpretable sandstorm of fire and souls, Nyx could see. He could actually see his surroundings, the landscape, the souls, the mana. As a greater demon, such demonic miasma almost felt pleasant. And now, as a superior being to what he once was, he could perceive the soul space. To a degree.

It was still all hazy as if filtered through a grainy and peppery pane. Nevertheless, he could actually navigate the infernal storm now. No longer did he need to merely feel his way through. Glancing at a skittering ball of fire, flickering in the infernal storm as it dove in and out of the cracks littering the hell scorched terrain, Nyx realized it to be a soul. What exactly it was, he hadn't the faintest clue.

But it was weak.

Looking off into the distance, towards where the demonic mana thickened, he could see the second stratum. Where he had once bound Fisty's soul to his. Nyx grinned and began stalking towards it. Scattering at his mere presence the souls of once lower beings, his aura had a tangible effect on this plane. A wolf walking in a pen of sheep. As a greater demon, Nyx was a being that they once feared beyond all else. When they had been alive. But he paid them no mind. For he was only concerned about what was beyond this stratum. Minor demons concerned him not. Nor did lesser demons.

So when Nyx reached the veil of the second stratum, he didn't even slow as he passed through it, the pressure doing little to hamper his trespassing. The change in atmosphere was immediate and Nyx began to have to squint against the roiling mana of the infernal storms. The air felt thick and burned his metaphorical 'lungs'. But Nyx stalked onwards.

Souls of large and small demons alike cowered in his wake, some even came to him in hopes of bonding with his soul. Most all demons sought power, and those intelligent enough to realize just what Nyx was, understood what potential he could unlock within them. Unfortunately, Nyx had no eyes for mere lesser demons.

Looking up at the wall of dark red energy, stretching up and up and up, far out of sight, it loomed over Nyx. The demonic mana just beyond was oppressive. The unholy screams of bestial and monstrous demons were chilling. It called for him.

Pressing one hand against its surface, the resistance was unimaginably stronger than what it had been for the first and second stratum. He had to press both hands against the veil, muscles bulging and hands clenching. With great strain, his clawed-like nails began tearing through. Even this stood no chance to stop his advance in the end.

Entering the third stratum, the world changed. He was barely able to see through the thick miasmic mana and the landscape was incomprehensible. Towering taller than the peaks of Argon's Spine, cliffs and rock face rose high, the ground sundered as if gods had once walked here.

Looking around, a hand shielding his eyes, Nyx finally took it seriously. The souls he saw right at the entrance were still too weak to be considered and they too cowered at his presence. But it wasn't long before he met souls that were sizing him up. His pride as a herald and a Vainlord, however, stopped any opportunistic demon souls from trying anything stupid.

The deeper he went, the thicker the miasma became. Although it was nearly impossible to see far ahead, Nyx could catch glimpses of truly monstrous souls in the distance. Demons that were nearly as tall as buildings. But alas, this was as far as he could go.

He was near the fourth stratum, but even now, he could feel his mana channels slowly fray. Like they had once done during his first soul bonding. If he didn't choose one now, he would be doing serious damage to himself. Permanent even. That was when he finally sensed something that caught his eye.

Deep within a cavern of molten rock and demonic mana, a massive soul lay, surrounded by dozens of smaller but still huge demon souls. Upon his intrusion of their lair, their auras flared, as if hissing and growling at him. He paid them no mind. Releasing his presence to its full might, they all piped down, hesitantly backing up against the wall in fear of his pride.

All but one.

A deep sense of hunger came from the slumbering soul. A major sin. Like him. Reaching out a hand to the soul, Nyx felt it almost meant to be. The demon considered him calmly. Considered what he promised it. And in its gluttony. It accepted.

[Soulbound Contract successfully formed]

[Congrataltions, you've soulbound a LVL: 32 - Greater Demon, Obsidian Rockling (Grand)]

Back in the dome of rock, Nyx cracked his neck, an impish smile on his lips despite his difficulty breathing. Although this might be a tight fit, he believed he had found his solution to getting out of here.

...

"Raven General! The Rune Bearer is detecting activity!"

Across the field of rubble that had once been a grand valley, a dwarf clad from head to toe in a silvery-gray armor plating turned to face the caller. His armor clinked at the movement, the many tonnes of weight seemingly doing nothing to slow the burly dwarf. Through his compact armor, only his gray blind eyes and just as gray beard were visible. Nevertheless, he radiated an aura of command, authority, and absolute power.

Although the ground was ungainly and loose, he appeared to have no trouble walking across it as he approached his lieutenant. "Hm, demonic mana." He mumbled, senses apt despite being no mage nor rune scribe. "The ones who caused the anomaly are still here. Somewhere." His blind eyes narrowed as if in thought. His metal-clad feet felt the ground, twisting into it.

"Yes, below."

The lieutenant that had initially called his superior over did not hesitate as he understood. This blind old dwarf's senses were not to be underestimated, and as accustomed to his general's expression as he was, he knew danger was coming. "Prepare yourselves, dwarví! No aggression till aggression be shown! You hear?!"

"Aye!" The rest of the dwarves chorused. Weapons drawn - rune-forged halberds, warhammers, and axes - all expertly crafted and inscribed tools of murder - the dwarven platoon readied themselves for battle. The earth rumbled, stones rattling and tumbling across the rubble. They were tense but not nervous. Little could make a dwarf fear or worry.

But as the rumbling became more intense, the activity slowly focused on one spot where the dwarves began slowly retreating to surround, the very air itself began to become thick with the smell of sulfur and brimstone. Grips on hilts tightened. But they did not fret. Rather, dwarves such as themselves spent most of their lives within forges. To do them, it was a pleasant smell.

As the spot caved in, falling a few feet and forming a large sinkhole in the rubble, the rumbling stopped. Surrounded by dozens of heavily armored dwarves, a silence as thick as the smell of the underworld filled the air. The atmosphere was tense, popping like a bubble when rubble went suddenly flying as a massive shadow burst out of the sinkhole.

Barely backing up in time, the dwarves were quick to reform their formation, though with some distance to the massive beast looming over them. Or, was it even a beast?

Nearly as tall as two adult humans, the thing sported an even wider frame. It was hunched on two shorter hind legs and two slightly longer front legs. Its build was compact enough to even make dwarves green with envy. Most curious about this monster, however, was its plating of obsidian-like rock armor. 

Layered all on its frame like a fragmented shell, wherever it wasn't shielded by its obsidian carapace, it had streaks of stony flesh that glowed hot with magma. It was as if it was outfitted in armor. With a helmet out which peered two black hungry eyes, gauntleted front and hind legs, a fiery disposition, and a towering figure, the monster was terrifying.

It wasn't quite a golem or an elemental, a fleshy being within. But it wasn't far from one. This was a demon. And it wasn't the only one. Atop it, sat another demon. One far too menacing and regal to be considered anything but a demonic spawn from the underworld.

"Greater demons..." The old raven general grumbled.

If you wish to support Tales of the Implock and me, along with getting access to 10 chapters ahead of public release and Discord rewards, head on over to my Patreon!clear.png

New Patrons Shoutout!: (Alric Good, Mark Villalobos)

To join the community, discuss the latest chapters, talk novels with like-minded basement dwellers, and much more - you can join the Discord!clear.png

26