Chapter 15: Forward to the Final Boss
104 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Waking up earlier is easy when you're excited about what's to come; Christmas presents, going to your favorite place for vacation, or meeting people you love after being separated for so long. As soon as I woke up, I jumped out of my hammock and got ready for when my friends arrive. After getting my daily hygiene routine finished, I went to help Crystal and Lanie get packed.

During breakfast, the Cheraneura gathered and gave thanks to me and Lanie by presenting us both with a gift, a necklace made of turquoise and cheranium beads. Waiting until the expedition arrive, we shared some final goodbyes and best wishes. When news from a scout saying the expedition just entered the level, we knew it was time foe us to leave.

"Stay safe, Aiden Ortega." Kawa wished me luck, giving me the tribes version of a salute, basically the devil horns sign.

"May we see each other again." I saluted him back.

Kawa did the same for Lanie, and she returned the gestured.

With our armor and weapons returned, we picked up our gear and got ready to descend the plateau, but then I caught sight that Crystal wasn't following us.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, she not wearing any armor, and I was carrying her equipment.

She looked sad. "I'm not going back with you two."

"Sister, why?" Lanie looked heartbroken.

The older sister looked at me. "Aiden... I don't hate you, but I can't keep your secret for you. Lanie can see past it, but I can't. I don't have anything waiting for me out there. Besides, people die or go missing all the time in dungeons."

"Are you sure you want to stay?" I was actually sad to heat her leave as well.

She smiled at us. "Try not to get my sister killed while I'm gone." She waved goodbye.

We wanted to protest, but Lanie and I understood Crystal enough that she was set on staying behind. Waving goodbye, we left the village, planning to met up with the expedition and convince them to avoid the plateau, keeping to our promise not to expose the secret of the Cheraneura.

Lanie was crying softly as we departed, wanting to comfort her, I grabbed her hand in sympathy, understanding the pain of leaving your family and not knowing if you'd ever see them again. She squeezed my hand tightly, and we pressed forward.


(Rana POV)

Yo have to be here, Aiden. I know you are. Thoughts of my husband has been cemented in my mind for days.

Aiden has always been smart, I'm sure he must have found away to survive the fall down the hole the Croc Guardian created. He must have moved further down to the 15th level where the plateau is, he and the girls must have made a camp, waiting for us to arrive.

The subjugation team has made steady progress down the levels, out party has managed to collect some great materials but to me it was meaningless until I found Aiden. Packing up camp, the expedition is going cross the gate to the 15th level; after this level there is only four more until we reach the "Swamp Boss" on the final floor. Crossing into the next floor, I could already spot the plateau from the floor entrance. After talking with the expedition leaders, my party was given permission to scout out to find my husband and the other lost members.

"Are sure he's here, Rana?" Tuca spoke to me, concerned I would be heartbroken if he wasn't.

"... I believe he is, I know how resourceful he can be." I said, a mix of hope and desperate.

Walking for miles across the wooden roads, fighting off monsters on the way, I spotted something, a familiar armor. "Aiden?" I squinted, seeing my husbands faint profile get clear as he ran towards me. "Aiden!"

Intercepting him in a giant hug, resting my head against his shoulder, I looked up and saw his warm, brown eyes and kind smile. "Rana, I'm so happy to see you." He whispered, tearing up.

"I missed you too." I whispered back.

Soon after, the rest of our party arrived, along with Lanie the gun expert. Lost Fang welcomed Aiden back warmly, Priest Jo-se gave similar welcome for Lanie, and then we asked our re-found friends what happened.

"Where's Crystal? Is she behind you?" Fai asked, noticing they were one person short.

The two looked uncomfortable. Aiden explained that after they landed on the 15th floor, the three of them tried to make it to the plateau but Crystal ate something poisonous and died a few days ago. During the time they were gone, Aiden and Lanie camped at the foot of the plateau and did some training for when we arrived. After finishing their story, Lanie cried for her sister and I comforted her.

"We're thankful that you two survived." I said. "As her friends, we should push on and complete this dungeon in her honor as an adventurer."

"I couldn't agree more." Aiden supported me. "Let's get through this level and head to the Boss."

Rejuvenated to have our friends back, we continued to work with the expedition team to clear the dungeon. Aiden gave the leaders advice of where to attack, and to avoid the plateau because there is nothing of value there; he told our party in secret he got a piece of the ore we were looking for but wanted to leave the rest to increase market value. For the next few days, we cleared four remaining floors at a fast pace thanks to Aiden's improved battler performance; when I asked him how he improved, and where he and Lanie got the beautiful knife and necklaces, they explained they found remains of other adventurers and collected their gear. Tomorrow, we began our launch on the Swamp Boss, so we used this night to rest and prepare ourselves for the battle.

"I'm sorry it took us so long to find you both." I apologized to my husband, we were sharing a bed roll in out tent.

"I'm glad you didn't hurry, I didn't want you to put yourself in any further risk." He comforted me. "Lanie was very helpful staying safe."

"She must be heartbroken." I scooched in closure. "Losing her only sister, she's been very strong these past days."

Aiden looked sadder. "She really is upset. I wish I could have done more for her."

"Don't blame yourself, what could you have done."

He turned around. "I need to sleep, good night Rana." That was the last thing he said to me.

I looked at him for a moment before turning off the lamp, curious why seeing Lanie sad upset him so much.

You've always been a compassionate soul, but this time feels different. I laid down, staring at his back. All that time together alone, of course you would grow to depend on one another... could it be, you've fall in love. I could see from the moment we met Aiden was a very attractive man, but I never saw him show interest in other women. I always knew that you taking another wife would happen, I just wished I could have been there to see your feelings for each other bloom. I moved in closure to hold him from behind. I promise you Aiden, once we finished this dungeon, I will help you and Lanie embrace your feelings for each other... because I love you.

 

 

 

5