Chapter 12: Rough Morning
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cecily POV

An incessant, high-pitched beeping woke me from my slumber. Annoyed at having my beauty sleep interrupted, I blindly reached for the phone on my nightstand and slammed my hand against the screen until it finally stopped.

Groaning, I turned away and snuggled into the blankets. There was something strangely soft and warm tickling my nose. Swatting at whatever was causing the sensation, I came into contact with a fluffy... body?

Opening my eyes, I lurched back as a mass of fur shifted until a pair of clear blue eyes opened groggily to look at me. Unaware that I was on the edge of the bed when I had shied away from the creature, I found myself airborne for half a second before landing in a heap on top of another warm body.

The creature under me let out a low grunt and my brain took a second to process what was happening before I scrambled off.

I took several shallow breaths, my heart going a million miles a minute, as I quickly shifted my gaze from one dog to another. It was then that my brain finally decided to recall yesterday's crazy events and I remembered that I now had two dogs.

Already exhausted after only being awake for about a minute, I groaned and threw myself back on the bed face first.

"You two scared the living crap out of me," I told them, my voice muffled by the blankets. "It's too early for my poor heart."

Art apologized by pouncing on me, my breath leaving me in one fell swoop. Alpha immediately let out a low growl of warning at this and shoved Art off me with his snout.

Groaning for what felt like the millionth time since I woke up, I flipped onto my back and looked at my two dogs.

My dogs.

That was going to take some getting used to.

"I feel like the morning is sending me a message to not get out of bed," I said out loud as I squirmed my body, inching up toward my pillow without getting up.

I probably looked like a caterpillar, but whatever. It's not like the dogs could judge me.

Alpha started making weird hacking sounds as he watched me, Leon making weird yipping sounds that sounded more like a hyena than a dog as it rolled on its back.

I froze mid-squirm and furrowed my brows at them.

My dogs were weird. Not that I had a right to judge while I was squirming around like a caterpillar, but whatever.

I proceeded to lay in bed until the last possible moment, only moving to reach for my phone. I browsed the internet while Art continued rolling around the bed and Alpha lay on the ground, watching the both of us.

Knowing I couldn't delay getting up any longer without being extremely late for class, I got up with a sigh.

"Alright, time to start the day," I grumbled as I got up and opened the door to the bedroom. Gesturing for them to follow me, I walked to the front door and opened it, once again grateful that I lived on the first floor.

"Go do your business," I commanded as I gestured to them and then to the outside, which I could already tell was too hot for my liking. I was guaranteed to sweat walking to campus. Ew.

Pleased when they both walked out, well, more like ran in Art's case, I left them to relieve themselves as I headed to the kitchen. I scrounged up some milk and cereal for breakfast and sat at the table while keeping an eye on the door. A few minutes later, Art came bursting in, followed by Alpha. Looking at him again, I noticed Alpha was huge. He easily reached my waist, and I wasn't completely short at 5'4".

Lost in my thoughts, I jumped slightly when my phone began to beep again. It was my alarm that signaled 'I'm five seconds away from being late If I don't haul my butt out of here'.

"Crap!" I exclaimed as I shoveled the rest of the cereal in my mouth. I almost ran out of the kitchen but caught sight of Art sniffing my empty cereal bowl, both of his paws barely reaching the table.

"Right, you guys need food!" I quickly searched for anything I could give them and settled on my leftover fried rice from a couple of days ago. Quickly sniffing it, I decided it was still good enough to eat and I popped it into the microwave for a few seconds. No creature deserved to eat cold rice.

The microwave beeped and I quickly placed the warm fried rice bowl on the floor. "You two share that!" I called as I ran to the door they had left open, closed it, and locked it. "You're siblings so I'm sure you know how to share" I threw over my shoulder as I hurried to the bathroom.

I took a record-breaking shower, threw on a light blue tank top and jean shorts that had seen better days, and quickly braided my damp hair.

I ran to the living room and fetched my backpack that had been discarded there before grabbing my keys from the kitchen counter. "You guys be good. Don't pee anywhere or break anything," I said to them as I hurried to the door.

I turned to where both Alpha and Art sat by the kitchen table, watching me. Giving them a quick wave, I exited the apartment and locked the door behind me.

It was nice having someone to talk to, even if they didn't fully understand me. Considering my social skills, that was probably for the best.

Glancing down at my phone, I let out a string of curses. I was most definitely late and I was not running again. My legs were definitely sore from yesterday and I was not subjecting myself to that again.

I sped walked to campus, cursing the weather as sweat dripped down my back.

I reached class five minutes late and did the awkward walk of shame to the back of the classroom where I wouldn't be bothered.

After an agonizing hour and a half, the teacher bid us farewell and exited the class. Letting out a sigh as I put my barely touched notebook into my bag, I filed out with the rest of the class. I just had to get through one more class that was in half an hour.

As I was walking to the cafeteria for some much needed coffee, I felt hands clamp onto both of my shoulders.

"Boo!"

I shrieked, turning quickly and swinging out a fist in a lame attempt to defend myself.

0