1 – Start Of A Journey
93 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Jiro Toru POV ]

I finally am going back to the place that I once called home. I haven't been back to Tokyo since the death of my parents so about 5 years or so. Not once have I visited, my lovely grandparents did their very best to help raise me through those hard times. Spending that time in such a small town taught me many things, especially about people and how tight a community could be. Since everyone knew everyone, being popular or being a bully simply wasn't a thing here. We were all treated as equals which were something I enjoyed, but that is going to change.

I look out the window of my grandparents' old van as we drive towards Tokyo. It is about a five-hour drive and it is packed tight with all my personal belongings to get settled in my apartment that my grandparent we able to provide for me. At first, they were worried about me going back especially after all that happened but I am not the same Jiro that I used to be. 

We only have about 30 minutes left on the road trip before we make it to the apartment which is near the famous university known as 'Sakura University'. While the name of the college is tacky, the chance of getting accepted into this school is pretty low so I guess the name doesn't really matter. Ironically enough that is the same university where my parents met. My father was studying architecture and my mother was studying marketing. And here I am doing general courses until I find out what I specifically want to do.

[ TIMESKIP ]

After falling asleep for the rest of the ride my grandparents woke me up when we arrived at the apartment. From the outside it looks like a nice little place, I don't need anything too fancy anyway because I'm not paying for it. 

"Alright, Jiro," Grandpop said handing me the key.

 "You have become you're own man know. You are responsible enough to watch yourself and not do anything stupid," Grandpop told me while helping me unload the van.

"I know grandpop, you guys don't have to worry about me," I said as I grabbed some more stuff from the trunk.

After that, we just spent the next hour or so getting the place all set up. The apartment is a simple one-bedroom flat with basic amenities such as a stove and microwave. The place is a bit on the older side but not a deal-breaker or anything like that. The location of this place is fantastic, it is about a 10-minute walk to the university which is a major win in my books. 

The college ceremony for freshman actually start later tonight at around 5 PM and it is currently 2:30 PM so I still have plenty of time before I have to go to the ceremony. According to the email from the school, they are just gonna give us a brief presentation and put us into groups to bond with some of the other freshmen coming to the school. Overall that is pretty smart on their part, but I guess a lot of colleges do the same thing so people have a higher chance of making friends.

After a bit longer of riding the rest of the place up and my grandma coming back with some groceries to get me started, the whole place was ready.

"Alright dear," Grandma said as she finished organizing the refrigerator.

"Everything is all set," She said with a big puff and a proud look on her face.

"Thank you guys so much! I can never repay you guys for raising me and giving me a good life these past five years," I said bringing both my grandparents in for a hug.

"Of course son," Grandpop said after wiping away a small tear from his eye.

"Aww, gonna miss me old man?" I say with a chuckle.

"Just got dust in my eye that's all," Grandpop said in a joking manner.

We all just laughed. Grandpa always had a good sense of humor that for sure is something I am going to miss. But shortly after that, I made sure they had everything they needed because they have a long drive back home. 

With that, both of them got back into the van and we all waved up until they drove off and were out of sight. And at that moment I was officially a free man on his own. I still have a basic layout of Tokyo even though I was gone for so long, so I am sure that I will get my old urban smarts back soon enough. 

I head back into the apartment and just find things to pass the time until I have to make it over to the welcome ceremony.

[ TIMESKIP ]

Finding ways to kill time worked a lot more efficiently than I thought. I was just watching some TV and the next thing I know I have to head over for the ceremony now. It currently is 4:40 PM so I got about 20 minutes left until it starts. I grab my house keys, wallet, and a water bottle and start walking over to the college. Not expecting too much from this event but anything could happen, hopefully, we get a free shirt or something to make it worthwhile. 

I walk out the door of the apartment and officially start my journey of 10 minutes to the campus grounds. Which to summarize was nothing special at all just a typical walk. 

Finally, with the campus insight, I got a bit nervous due to the sheer amount of people who I guess are freshmen like me, walking onto the campus. I still am not that used to seeing so many people together because my old high school has about 500 kids or so not that much compared to the couple hundred who are here alone. 

Once making to the main gate of the campus there are a bunch of upperclassmen handing out pamphlets, directing us to all go to the main hall where the welcome presentation will take place. Sadly I didn't get my free shirt but one girl did hand me a sticker and a water bottle so I guess that counts for something.

Walking in a herd, like sheep, me and all the other freshman make our way over to the main hall. Taking a brief look at all the people so far, I can already see kids starting to form cliques and it isn't even the first day yet. More power to them I guess but with that, I arrive at the main hall. Time for college life to officially begin and it starts with a presentation from a girl who is considered a beauty and a genius. The college picking their speakers wisely is one hell of a way to ensure an audience. 

Time to get this show on the road.

Little intro for the story hope you guys enjoy it

3