Chapter 6: Struggle
79 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I sensed one who is uncertain about his future. Come in"

Door opens in front of me and before I could say anything a guy wearing a white mask with golden embroidery at its side suddenly said.

Taken a aback I replied.

"Ah.. hello I came to do a reading"

The guy in the mask answered in a calm voice.

"Sure come on."

I followed in with a weird feeling, as I saw the inside it was a bit dark with red and violet lights by the side. 

I saw the guy with the mask sit at the chair with the desk table and I sit uncomfortably to the small chair at the right.

I don't know how these things work so I feel uncomfortable.

"What can I help you?" 

He asks. I only came to see this place out and feel entertained by whatever this guy can do so I wanted the simple one.

"Can you really read minds?"

I saw him placing his legs on top each other and answered in a gentle voice.

"Depends... Some minds are much more complicated than others while some are very open"

Then he continued saying..

"So you want me read your mind?"

"If you can then yes" I answered so more comfortable than earlier.

I was curious on what's he gonna do.

"If that's what you want then alright, but mind you, you have to pay first"

Hearing this I was befuddled, Is this his way of tricking his customers? I mean there's no way he can really read my mind in the end its all a trick.

Thinking of this I replied

"But.. what if I'm not satisfied or what you read..... Is wrong?"

I hesitated saying the truth outright. 

"Then I can give you back the money. "

He answered simply. Hearing this I was relieved, I took out the money and give it to him.

"Just leave it there by the side" 

I complied. I might get it back anyway. There's now way I Floyd Flannigan believe in that crap anyway.

And so after placing the money I wait for the performance.

He leaned to the side and hum. I didn't see it at first cause it was nearly below the table but on his right arm he was holding what seems like a blackball.

I was curious what's it's for, then I saw a deck of cards on the right of the table, I thought it was tarot cards but as I leaned closer it was just ordinary cards. Is this the thing he's gonna use to read minds? By using cards, I've seen that plenty before.

"Are you expecting for me to use the cards to read you mind?" 

He suddenly said and I was taken back, well I was looking at the cards so he might have seen me and assumed it.

"Hmm.. you can use the cards if you want."

If I want? Then I went and grabbed the set of cards, holding them I took the ace of diamonds and made sure he didn't see it and ask.

"What card I'm I holding?"

"Ace of diamond"

He answered almost instantly while looking at the blackball. As expected there was a trick here and it's the cards that triggers it. Or maybe it's the blackball? It could be both.

Then I thought of thinking of numbers and asking him what it was to see if he can still read my mind but then he suddenly said.

"Your thoughts are laid bare, you're thinking of numbers to make me see If I can really read your mind right?"

I was seen through once again. Am I that easily read? or is this guy the real deal? But that's impossible though.

"Some things are impossible because we believe it to be so."

Again I was taken aback but his next word shocked me to the core 

"Floyd, you should clear you head and just do what you want to do. I know your unsatisfied with your life so do it and take the risk"

How did he know my name? My mind race but I forced it to calm down. I work at the shop only two apartments away so maybe he already had investigated me that's why he knows my name but how did know about me wanting to change jobs? I recall I didn't tell it to anyone yet.

I was gonna ask how did he know but I remembered he was trying to "read" my mind.

"So, are you gonna play with the cards more or am I just gonna guess what your thinking?"

Hearing this I feel into deep thought , I want to test if he was really the real deal, I think of the secret only I know, my foxbook password or something maybe even my nearly empty bank account. Or something what happened in the past, back in Middleton where I secretly told Alfred about something and because of it the incident happened but just as I was thinking I saw him shaking his head and saying.

__________

"Please refrain from thinking of important secrets as I might accidentally hear it" Just as I said that, I saw his shocked face again.

Good. During the whole reading I played it safe. I didn't reveal to much of his thoughts and only said a little of it.

This is how I should do my other readings as well revealing only a small part of their mind, well,  maybe except deep dive.

Back to Floyd, he's thinking of doing the edge reading to see what his future will look. He seems to already believe that I can read his mind.

Well I'm sorry Floyd but I can't actually see the future but only judge it through your past.

Nevertheless I didn't spoke his thoughts and just waited for him.

"Can you see the future?"

He asked while I answered

"I can't see the future Floyd, only glimpses of it and the future is not set and can always be change"

I heard his thoughts, he's contemplating whether he should ask about his future now but it's seems he only brought money just enough for the surface reading.

He decided to try again another day or later as his breaktime is almost over. Hearing this I knew that my first act is over. I sigh in relief in my mind.

"Thank you... Ah.. I never got your name."

I smiled even though he can't see it and said.

"My name's Morpheus. Till next time then Floyd." 

I stood up and slightly bowed to him. I wanted to act like a gentleman by shaking his hand but just went with a small bow. I have to be mysterious so I have to keep my distance.

And so my first endeavor on this path ended.

I exhaled after seeing Floyd out the door.

My first customer was pretty normal, but come to think of it all I have done is just guess his thoughts without doing anything except that card thing. It seems dry so I should come up with something new tonight to keep the customer occupied while I'm reading their mind.

I take off my mask and took the money. 125 zelo its not a lot but it can still buy me a cheap meal or two.

I again waited for new customers. 

But hours past and there weren't any new customer, I was confused, clearly my shop is unique so there are bound to be one or more people that will get curious  and try it even just for entertainment.

But other than the first guy, no one came. I just went and watched movies on my phone. When it was nearly 5:00pm and considered going out to get some snack. I heard a knocking at the front door.

Delighted I activated my powers and tried to read the person's mind and as I read it I came to the conclusion that.. this isn't an ordinary customer. Straightening myself up and putting my mask, I inhaled deeply and opened the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4