[Chapter 23] This Arrogant Young Master Will Have to Use Ten Percent of His Power
1.7k 4 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Royal Academy, Room 207 (Kyle POV)


The sunlight shining in from outside warmed me up slightly as I leaned back in my chair, and a faint sigh echoed around the empty classroom while I continued to stare vacantly at the ceiling.

I was early today, much earlier than usual.

Yesterday, after a thousand years, I finally killed another person again. And it was still the same, even after all this time. There was no remorse, no sorrow, all I felt was a cold indifference, and after that, there was nothing more. Instead, I was more worried about the class.

Luckily though, no one was seriously injured. Halbert, Zane, and Regnis managed to get away with just a few scrapes and bruises while Reina was just exhausted from using most of her mana. Sophie only had that cut on her leg, and after performing some simple first aid, I managed to stop the bleeding.

But before we left the clearing, Halbert stopped everyone and asked us to keep what Zeon said to ourselves. Halbert said something along the lines of how he didn’t want to get anyone else involved as he got down on his knees and begged us with a trembling voice, so what could I do but agree?

I don’t know what he wanted to keep us out of, but I’m sure he has his secrets… just like I have mine, so I didn’t ask. After that, we all returned to the city and I carried Sophie to the hospital before reporting to the guild that we were attacked in Silvia Forest by a necromancer. I left out the details of what Zeon said just like Halbert asked, but I did mention that I killed him in self-defense.

Our cover-up story for Mari was that we were in the classroom like normal yesterday, and if she asked, Halbert, Zane, and Regnis were bruised from sparring after class while Sophie accidentally cut her leg at home yesterday.

I’ll say it now, I’m not a very good professor.

I’m always just barely on time for class, I can’t teach very well, I slack off all the time, and… I even put my students in danger. I’m an awful professor, but as awful as I am... I still care about my students.

They’re not meant to be out there fighting for their lives. They should be right here, safe and sound, happily wasting away their youth in this peace, just like everyone else their age...

I raised my right arm up and spread my hand out in front of me as I whispered to myself.

“... They shouldn’t have to go through what I did... no one does…” (Kyle)

My hand slowly closed and I took a deep breath before slumping over on my desk as I stared at my fist on top of the table.


Royal Academy, Room 207 (Sophie POV)


The door opened with a loud click as I entered the classroom before shutting it behind me. I was early to class like usual, but today, instead of an empty room, there was an unexpected figure. Slumped over on his desk with a sad expression on his face was Professor Kyle.

Eh? But wait, class doesn’t start for another hour. Am I’m actually late? No, it can’t be. There isn’t anyone else here either, which means… Professor Kyle was actually early today!

He turned toward me and we made eye contact as I slowly walked over to his side while he sat up in his seat. I stood there for a moment, staring at him with a puzzled look on my face before he asked me what was wrong.

“Umm... what’s wrong, Sophie?” (Kyle)

“Nothing… it’s just... Are you sure the clock in your house is adjusted correctly?” (Sophie)

“Oi. What’s that’s supposed to mean? Is it that strange for me to be early for once!?” (Kyle)

After replying, Professor Kyle slumped over on his desk again with tears flowing out of his eyes, and I couldn’t help but giggle a bit at his comical retort while he mumbled grumpily to himself.

“The moment I decide to actually be a good professor for once, my own student doesn’t even appreciate it! Hmph.” (Kyle)

When I saw Professor Kyle pout cutely and turn to look out the window, I couldn’t hold it in anymore and burst out laughing.

“You know, just being early doesn’t make you a good professor.” (Sophie)

“It’s a start, alright!?” (Kyle)

After my laughter finally died down, silence returned for a moment before Professor Kyle’s voice softened to a gentle tone as he continued to stare outside at the clouds in the sky.

“Anyway... is your leg ok, Sophie?” (Kyle)

I looked down at my left leg wrapped in bandages. It was injured yesterday during the necromancer’s attack, but the cut wasn’t too deep, and after some treatment at the hospital, it was basically healed up already.

“Yeah, it’s fine. When I was at the hospital, the doctor there used some light healing magic and told me my leg should be completely back to normal in a few days.” (Sophie)

“That’s great… I’m glad you’re ok, Sophie...” (Kyle)

He turned back around and I could see the relief in his eyes as he gently smiled at me.

“... I really am…” (Kyle)

I wasn’t sure exactly why. Maybe it was because that lonely, melancholic atmosphere around him had finally disappeared, or maybe it was because I finally saw him smile again after everything that happened yesterday, but as I continued to stare at him, a warm feeling started to bubble up inside of me as my heartbeat gradually sped up. A moment of silence passed by before I quickly twirled around so I wouldn’t have to face him anymore, and after bringing my hand up to touch my face, I realized it was burning up. I covered my mouth as my voice lowered to a whisper with a tender tone.

“... Yeah… Thanks for carrying me back to the hospital, Professor Kyle… “ (Sophie)

“Sure, no problem. It’s the least I could do.” (Kyle)

I held my hand against my chest until my heart calmed down before turning around to face Professor Kyle again. I was about to say something when the door behind me suddenly opened, and I heard Reina call out to us.

“Eh? Professor Kyle, why are you here so early today?” (Reina)

“Why is it that me showing up a bit early is so unexpected? Am I really that lazy in your eyes?” (Kyle)

“N-No, it’s just that… you usually show up right before class starts...” (Reina)

Reina replied with a helpless look on her face as indignant tears began to flow from Professor Kyle’s eyes again, and I turned around to face Reina as I giggled a bit.

“I know right. That’s exactly what I thought too!” (Sophie)


Royal Academy, Room 207 (Kyle POV)


“Ky, I’ve done it. I’ve found my future girlfriend!” (Zane)

I took another bite of my food as I stared at Zane, who had passionate flames burning in his eyes while he pointed to the ceiling in a victory pose.

It was lunchtime now, and although Mari asked earlier about why everyone was bandaged up, it seemed like she believed our cover-up story after hearing it from everyone. I guess the exp from the fight yesterday boosted everyone’s friendship level though because today we all gathered to have lunch together again, Mari included.

“You know, I doubt you actually did, but I guess I’ll bite. Who is it?” (Kyle)

“I don’t know what her name was, but I saw a really cute girl when I was rushing to class this morning, and after I tripped on a rock, she even came over to help me up.” (Zane)

Sophie let out a sigh and Regnis just went on eating like nothing even happened while Halbert and Reina stared at Zane with helpless smiles.

“Here we go again… She was just showing you some basic human kindness. You probably won’t ever even see her again.” (Sophie)

“That’s where you’re wrong, Sophie! She had our school uniform on, so she’s definitely somewhere in the academy! I knew the moment I first laid eyes on her! She’s my soulmate! I’ll find her if it’s the last thing I do!” (Zane)

I took another bite of food before nodding once and turning to Mari, who was sitting to my right.

“Hey, do we have something like a witness protection program here?” (Kyle)

“A witness protection program? No, what’s that?” (Mari)

“Oh, well it’s basically a program that provides protection to people who may be the target of criminal activity. Anyway, it’s fine if we don’t have one. We can probably just ask one of the security guards to make sure Zane doesn’t stalk the girl after we find out who she is.” (Kyle)

“Oi! I’m right here, you know!” (Zane)

Sophie laughed a bit after Zane’s outburst, while Halbert let out a dry chuckle before patting Zane on the shoulder.

“That’s a great idea, Professor Kyle!” (Sophie)

“Hmm, how well do you think it’ll work though? I doubt the security guard could be there all the time.” (Regnis)

“Well, I’m sure that-” (Kyle)

I was about halfway through my sentence when the sound of the door opening interrupted me, and everyone turned to look at the entrance as a man burst into the room.

He had long black hair that went a little past his shoulders along with a pair of sharp, brown eyes while his outfit looked like it came straight of a wuxia drama, consisting of a white swordsman robe with a sash at his waist that had golden dragons embroidered on it, and not the kind of dragon that you would find out in the wild either, it was the serpentine kind of dragon that you would’ve found back in eastern mythology back on Earth.

Everyone watched him as he glanced around the room for a moment before locking eyes with me.

Then I felt a familiar feeling wash over me.

I never thought I’d see someone else besides Halbert at this kind of power level, but I guess this world really is big, huh?

This man is definitely a wuxia protagonist! His main character aura is off the charts!

Can’t a small side character like me catch a break!? Right after adjusting to Halbert’s monstrous main character aura, another one shows up!

Wait, since he’s here... a-am I the next arrogant young master acting as a stepping stone for him!? Come on! If you’re gonna make me an arrogant young master, at least let me enjoy the position for a bit first!

I’ll be here minding my own business, and next thing you know, he’s gonna use his sect’s forbidden technique on me for just standing in his path today!

The man opened his mouth and it looked like he was about to say something when Mari cut him off.

“Uh... Professor Yong, right? Were you looking for me? What’s the problem?” (Mari)

Eh? Professor?

“Oh. I didn’t realize you were here, Headmistress Sylfey. I apologize for my sudden entrance, but actually, I have some business with Professor Kyle.” (Professor Yong)

Professor Yong turned to stare at me again before walking up.

Argh! Why is it always me!? I’ve never even met the guy, and he already has a problem with me!

Please, sir! I’m just a poor little side character! I have nothing to offer you, so go play protagonist with Halbert or something!

My internal screams echoed out into pointlessly as I met Professor Yong’s sharp stare with a nervous smile.

“Umm… Can I help you, sir?” (Kyle)

“You’re Professor Kyle, correct?” (Professor Yong)

“Yeah…” (Kyle)

“I see, so I have come to the right place. My name is Raven Yong of the House of Yong, and I challenge you to a duel, Professor Kyle!” (Raven)

“Wait! We’ve never even met! What the hell did I do to you!?” (Kyle)

“What did you do?” (Raven)

Raven crossed his arms and started to chuckle before pointing at me dramatically.

“I already have confirmation from a reliable source, so there’s no use denying it. You were the one who cut the budget for the weapons department, right?” (Raven)

“Wait! Cut the budget for the weapons department!?” (Mari)

Mari turned to me and grabbed me by the collar with an angry smile as cold sweat ran down my back.

“So, what’s this about cutting budgets, Ky?” (Mari)

I let out a dry laugh before explaining myself.

“Well, remember the hole in the wall from the first day of class? Where do you think I got the money to fix it? I had to cut someone’s budget to get everything sorted out, and obviously, I couldn't cut the alchemy department's budget. I don’t have access to the business department’s budget either since they’re basically self-sufficient, so only the magic and weapons department were left, and the magic department was already running a little dry while the weapons department just got new stuff last year. I just made the logical choice and cut a little of the weapons department budget.” (Kyle)

“A little!? The budget was almost cut in half compared to last year!” (Raven)

Cut in half? I shouldn’t have used that much... Ah. Wait, I remember now. I bought Neo-Excalibur and all that other stuff with their budget too, didn’t I?…

“Ahem. Ok, well, admittedly it may have been more than a little, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s gone. What’s done is done. I’ve already had the room repaired. I can’t do anything at this point.” (Kyle)

“Tsk. Fine, then since you’ve already spent the weapons department budget, we’ll duel for the alchemy department’s budget.” (Raven)

“So you’re telling me that if I lose this duel then I have to transfer some of the alchemy department’s budget to the weapons department?” (Kyle)

“Precisely.” (Raven)

I freed myself from Mari’s grasp before turning to face Raven while crossing my arms.

“Perfect, then I can say with absolute certainty that... I refuse!” (Kyle)

“What? Have you no honor, Professor Kyle?” (Raven)

“Honor? What’s that? Can I buy alchemy materials with honor? Well, let’s say that hypothetically I do accept your duel. Now if I lose, then you’ll get your budget back, but what do I get if I win? Will I take the other half of the weapons department budget too? What will you do then?” (Kyle)

“Kuh. That’s a fair point.” (Raven)

Raven closed his eyes for a few moments as he thought about the terms of the duel before nodding to himself in confirmation.

“Then should you be victorious in our duel, the House of Yong will owe you a favor. However, I doubt it will be a problem because... you won’t win.” (Raven)

“Oh? Really now?” (Kyle)

Oi. I know you’re a protagonist, but at least show some respect for your supporting cast. Even side characters like me have a limit, you know? Fine, if this is how you want to do it, then this arrogant young master will have to play his part and take out the trash. Oh wait, he heard about the budget cut from someone else, didn’t he? So there might be some loose ends to tie up too after this.

“Then I accept your duel.” (Kyle)

I chuckled evilly to myself while cracking my knuckles, but before I could get up, Halbert let out a nervous laugh and held me back in a panic.

“W-Wait, Professor Kyle! I don’t think this is a very good idea. L-Look, if you two want to duel, then instead of a fight, how about you two compete in something more peaceful, like a game?” (Halbert)

“Hmm, a game? Well, considering Professor Kyle is manaless, I don’t think a fight would be very fair either, so a game doesn’t sound like a bad idea. If it’s a game, we can hold our duel indoors too. Headmistress Sylfey, may I ask that you act as the witness to our duel?” (Raven)

Mari let out a sigh before slumping backward into her chair with a tired expression on her face.

“Fine. I guess I’ll be the judge for your dumb game then.” (Mari)

“Great. I’ll even let you choose the game, Professor Kyle.” (Raven)

“You’ll let me choose? Don’t regret it then, Professor Yong.” (Kyle)

Hmm, what game should I pick?... Well, how about chess?’ it’s been awhile since I played, and I’ll have to make the board and pieces, but it shouldn’t take too long.

“Mari, is it ok if take some of the scrap wood from the storage room?” (Kyle)

“Eh? Nobody’s using it, so sure.” (Mari)

“Thanks. Then I’ll be back in a bit.” (Kyle)

Everyone stared at me in confusion as I left the classroom, and after a bit, I returned from the academy storage room with a plank of wood about half the size of my desk.

“Ok, so I’ve decided on what game we’ll play.” (Kyle)

“Oh? What game is it?” (Raven)

“It’s a board game from my hometown called chess, but since I don’t have a playset with me, I’ll need a bit of time to make the board and pieces first.” (Kyle)

I walked over to my desk and rummaged through my bag, pulling out the small carving knife that I usually used for engraving monster cores before sitting down and carving out the pieces as I explained the rules to everyone while they watched me curiously.

A few minutes later, a simple-looking chess set was sitting on the table in front of me. The board was just a square plank of wood with an eight by eight grid drawn on it, while the pieces were small wooden sculptures with half of them colored black using a pen to signify which side it was from, but despite how crude my craftsmanship was, it was still a perfectly functional chess set.

“...and those are the basic rules of chess. Simple enough, right?” (Kyle)

“I see, so chess is a game where we command equal armies while defending our respective lieges. A battle between two generals, how fitting for our duel. Very well, I accept this battle of wits.” (Raven)

Raven nodded his head in acceptance as I put my knife away and placed the board between us before setting up the pieces so that he was the white side.

“Well then. Since I chose the game, you can make the first move.” (Kyle)

“The first strike, huh?” (Raven)

I gestured toward him to start and he held his chin with his hand as he stared at the board, deep in thought. A few moments passed before he slowly reached out and moved one of his pawns forward, but the instant he let go of his pawn, my hand shot out and immediately moved a pawn forward to match his. He let go of his chin and looked up at me in astonishment, but I just gave him a wry smile back before telling him it was his move.

“What’s wrong, Professor Yong? It’s your turn to move, isn’t it?” (Kyle)

“Y-Yes, I suppose it is.” (Raven)

He cleared his throat nervously before taking another few moments to make his next move, but the same thing happened again as I instantaneously made my move before the cycle started to repeat itself.

I told you, didn’t I, Raven? This arrogant young master would put you in your place, so let me show you the true power of a side character! Just try and pull through this with your plot armor, I’ll shatter it myself! I wasn’t the hidden ace of my high school chess club for nothing!

***

About five minutes later, I quickly moved my queen into place as I announced the end of the game with a smile.

“Oh, I do believe that’s checkmate, isn’t it?” (Kyle)

“Y-Yes…” (Raven)

“So what’s the verdict, Mari?” (Kyle)

“You won the duel, Ky.” (Mari)

“Cool. It was a good game, Professor Yong.” (Kyle)

My hand extended out toward a frustrated Raven as he slowly grasped my hand for an awkward handshake.

Well, I guess I can’t blame him for being so shaken though. After all, his strategy was so basic that I read him like a book. It must’ve felt like I was in his head, always one step ahead of his every move. But he started this, so I’m showing no mercy.

A smug smile made its way onto my face as I shrugged nonchalantly after we finished our handshake.

“So now that I’ve won, you owe me a favor, right?” (Kyle)

“... Yes, I do.” (Raven)

“Alright. Then since the duel’s over, you can return to your class now. Just make sure you don’t forget about that favor. After all, you were the one that said that there was no way you would lose.” (Kyle)

I started to clean the chess set up while chuckling mockingly at an angry Raven, but before I could pick up the board, Raven slammed his hand down on it while mumbling to himself.

“... A rematch...” (Raven)

“What?” (Kyle)

“I said I want a rematch, Kyle!” (Raven)

Come on, buddy. I gave you a chance to escape and everything, but since you insist on getting your ass kicked again, let me do my part as a member of the supporting cast and accommodate your wish.

“Sure thing then.” (Kyle)

I set the pieces back up again before spreading my arms out with a sly smile, almost like I was presenting the board to Raven.

“Your move, Raven.” (Kyle)


Royal Academy, Room 207 (Raven POV)


Again. It’s happening again.

The clack of wood echoed around the room as I placed my piece down before Kyle instantly made his move in response. I glanced up at his mocking smile as an indescribable mental pressure washed over me.

This was already our fifth, no, our sixth rematch, and despite so many matches, it was the same story every time.

It was like he could read my mind. Every move I made, every thought I had, he knew it all. I just fell for trap after trap as my army slowly died out. It wasn’t like two generals facing each other, no, it was more like a beast toying with its prey.

I glanced towards the clock before thinking about my next move.

Looking at the time, I’ll have to go back and start class again soon, so this will probably be our last match… Fine. I didn’t want to have to use it, but this is the only way I’ll even have a chance against him.

I covered the right side of my face with my hand before preparing myself to activate my right eye.

You see, despite how normal my eyes looked, they weren’t normal at all. When I was young, my eyes were blessed by the two guardian spirits of the House of Yong, and as a result, my right eye gained the ability to gaze into the future, while my left eye was able to slow down my perception of time.

Using my right eye only shows me a still image, a single second in the future, and it makes me nauseous afterward too, but seeing as Kyle always moves immediately after I do, it won’t be too much of a problem to just activate it once and see his next move.

I picked up my knight and carried it over to where I was originally planning to move, but right before it touched the board, I closed my left eye while channeling mana into my right eye.

My hand hid the silverish glow of my right eye, and my sight was replaced momentarily with a vision of the future. Kyle had made his move immediately afterward just like I suspected, and when I came back to my senses, I held down the urge to puke as my hand stopped in its tracks before swiftly moving my knight to another spot where Kyle’s next move would have resulted in his rook being captured.

I moved my right hand to cover my mouth as I felt my stomach churn a bit while looking up at Kyle again. However, this time he didn’t make his move immediately. Instead, he stared at the board for a moment in thought.

Heh. I’ll admit it, Kyle. You’re the most frightening opponent I’ve ever faced. No more underestimating you. There’s no way I can beat you without my full power, so I’ll give you the respect you deserve and go all out!

A passionate smile made its way onto my face as a long-lost sense of excitement bubbled up inside of me again after so long. Finally, I was on an equal playing field again, facing a worthy opponent.

Now, make your move, Kyle!

I cried out internally as I pumped myself up, but before I could even think about my next move, Kyle’s mocking voice rang out.

“Oho? Not bad, Raven. I guess I’ll have to use ten percent of my power!” (Kyle)

I-Impossible... Ten percent? You mean he wasn’t even trying before!?

My eyes widened in shock as Kyle’s gaze sharpened.

“Wha-” (Raven)

I barely even saw him move.

Before I could even get a single word out, I was interrupted by the clack of wood as Kyle had already finished his move. A small burst of wind made my hair ruffle a bit, and when I finally looked down at the board again, the same pressure as before washed over me, only this time, it was much stronger.

“Check.” (Kyle)

That single word was like a death sentence. His bishop had taken one of my pawns and moved to a spot in between all of my pieces to put my king in check. It wasn’t like before where he was playing defensively, always reacting to my move and slowly closing in on my king. This time, he was on the offensive. It was an insanely aggressive move, a suicidal blitz by his bishop.

D-Do I take it?... Or move my king to safety?... No, I have to take it! I’m already too far behind! Even if he wants a war of attrition, I need every advantage I can get!

I grit my teeth and moved my knight to take his bishop, but the moment I placed my piece down, I saw a blur as Kyle’s arm instantly reached past mine, and once again, the clack of wood rang out along with another small burst of wind.

“Checkmate.” (Kyle)

Ah, I see. So, I wasn’t even an opponent in his eyes this whole time, huh? Even with my right eye, my full power was nothing compared to him.

“Do you want another rematch, Raven?” (Kyle)

“...No, I have to get back to my class now. You may be the victor today, but... I’ll be back tomorrow!” (Raven)

“See you tomorrow then, Raven.” (Kyle)

After making my declaration, I left the room with a determined look on my face while passionate flames burned in my eyes.

Just wait, Kyle! I swear I’ll surpass you!


Royal Academy, Room 207 (Kyle POV)


Ah, that felt refreshing. You know, even if he wasn’t much of an opponent, I’ll admit, it was pretty fun playing chess with Raven. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll even go a little easier on him.

After Raven left the room, Halbert turned to me with a helpless smile on his face as he finished the last bite of his sandwich.

“Professor Kyle, maybe you should’ve eased up on Professor Yong at the end there.” (Halbert)

“He started it, didn’t he? At least it ended more peacefully than a fight.” (Regnis)

“Yeah, but he seemed kind of on edge after losing so much.” (Zane)

“W-Well, he did let Professor Kyle choose the game...” (Reina)

“Yep. What did he expect would happen?” (Sophie)

Sophie shrugged and put away her empty lunch box as I glanced at the clock before turning back to the class with a satisfied smile on my face.

“Eh, I’m sure he’ll be fine. Anyway, it’s about time to start class again.” (Kyle)

Everyone cleaned up before gathering in front of the board again to study the alchemy circle we were going over today as I started to put away the chess set, but as I was gathering up the pieces, I felt something tug at my sleeve.

I turned around to see Mari grabbing my arm. She stared at me for a moment before clearing her throat with a slightly embarrassed look on her face.

“Ahem. Ky, do you have anything to do right now?” (Mari)

“Eh? No, not really. Why?” (Kyle)

“Well, then... if you’re free, w-would you mind playing a game of chess with me?” (Mari)

“Oh? Are you sure you want to play such a dumb game with me?” (Kyle)

I gave Mari a smug smile and she lowered her head to stare at her arm while mumbling quietly to herself.

“What did you say, Mari? Sorry, I couldn’t hear you. I'm a little busy cleaning up the pieces for this dumb game.” (Kyle)

“I said I was wrong, ok!? I-It looked kind of fun. There, I said it! Hmph.” (Mari)

I couldn’t help but let out a light laugh as I sat there watching Mari pout cutely while crossing her arms.

“Sure then. Just give me a second to set up the pieces.” (Kyle)

A few moments later, Mari sat down across from me as we started our match. It was set up the exact same way as before, with Mari being the white side while I was the black side.

Well, this isn’t a duel, so maybe I should go a little easy on her. Of course, I won’t let her win so easily, but I should at least give her a chance, right?

“Alright, you can go first then.” (Kyle)

***

A couple of minutes later, I casually moved my last piece into place as I announced my victory.

“And that’s checkmate.” (Kyle)

“Ah.” (Mari)

Mari stared at the board in surprise for a moment before immediately grabbing my arm again.

“I want a rematch, Ky!” (Mari)

… Just like Raven, huh? Well, I guess it’s fine. It’s nice to just relax every once in a while, and there’s already an alchemy circle on the board for the class to study, so it’s not like I’ve got anything else to do anyway.

“Sure, but could you let go of my arm? I can’t set the board up if you keep holding it like that...” (Kyle)

“Eh? S-Sorry.” (Mari)

Mari released her vice grip on my arm with a slightly embarrassed face before I set up the pieces again for our next match.

“Your move then, Mari.” (Kyle)

30