Chapter 8: Lack of Cues
168 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day went by with no issue leading up to lunch, much to the pleasure of Amasa, who just wanted some sense of normality ever since Tahiko showed up to wreak it. It was annoying to have to exert her body to give chase or talk to a bunch of people she didn’t care to converse with because of him.

Fortunately, things were calm and quiet so far. Also, he didn’t seem to have much to say to her either in terms of questions or dumb comments. So for the most part, it was been a great day for her.

“Only the second half left to go.” She muttered to herself as their lunch break started. Being someone who’s mother enjoyed making lunches, she normally got way too much for one person. Though now that Tahiko was around to split the difference, it was more manageable. Plus, he ate a ton, likely due to his energy exertion of limited magic and working out to regain peak physical performance.

He didn’t say much to her as they ate next to one another. Though she did notice him doing one weird thing. “Why do you keep staring at the door?” She asked. Given his position as a knight, it was entirely possible in her mind he was keeping an outlook for potential threats. “We’re at a school, so unless it’s Fukuna you’re looking out for, we should be safe.”

“That’s not what I’m looking out for.” He responded. The boy was keeping a sharp eye out for something specific that she couldn’t find by the door. “Ahh, there she is.” Tahiko spoke aloud. From her position, it didn’t seem like anyone was by the door other than random passing students. However, he knew what to look for, and the tiny glimpse of a small hand caught his attention.

“Who is this, she?” Since Fukuna was in their homeroom during lunch, it couldn’t possibly be that girl he was talking about. So what was it that this boy seemed to know about?

“Chisa, I’m right here. Come on in.” He ignored her and yelled out for the girl. “I can see you, so there’s no point in trying to hide.”

“What?” Apparently he ran into another student around and was calling for her attention. When Amasa took a closer look, she could see the scared and partially hidden face of a girl their age.

“You should come in and join us.” Tahiko continued. For context, the pair sat closer towards the window of the classroom. Which put them across the room away from the doorways, so everyone in class could hear him talking to the girl and were swapping their stares from him to the door.

“Can you shut up for one second!” She pinched him on the ear, causing the boy to stop his incessant yelling. “Gosh, just go and get her quietly.” It was clear to her that this girl was a bit shy, and that him doing this was drawing a bunch of unwanted attention that was keeping her from wanting to enter. This boy really did lack the social cues of understanding the feelings of others, didn’t he? “Now go.” She pushed him out of his seat.

“If that’s how things work.” He responded in bewilderment as to why this needed to be so complicated. “Hello, Chi… Oh sorry, I did it again.” Tahiko realized what he assumed was the error for why she wouldn’t come in. “Ida, would you like to enter?”

“Well, now everyone’s looking at us.” She continued to keep most of her body hidden behind the corner. Only her head was barely peeking out as she scanned the room. “And I didn’t realize you were in the same class as Komagata.” Indeed, Fukuna’s reputation preceded it. For some people it wasn’t entirely positive.

“Ah, so you know Fukuna too.” He replied, unaware of the problem. As they talked, the subject of the conversation was peering over them with a bit of a harsh expression to her face. Something about him bringing along another girl to the class and having the gall to be so public about it ticked her off a bit. Sure, she knew he was a bit oblivious to common practice of this world, but he could’ve at least invited her to his table before someone he likely just met.

“You’re friends?” Her jaw dropped from how casually he acted about that girl.

“Recently, yes.” He answered, then reached and took her arm. “Anyway, you should come in.” Tahiko was getting impatient with waiting for her to enter. Lunch break didn’t last forever and he didn’t bring her along just to chat by the door. “I have someone you should meet.”

With that, he basically dragged her across the classroom. She was kind of resisting, but his superior strength made it impossible for her to fight back as people just stared at them walking awkwardly. “Look, I’ve brought along a new friend.” Finally, upon returning to his desk, he introduced the pair.

“I guess it’s nice you’re making friends.” Amasa didn’t care to meet this girl she had only seen in the hallways. “But how come you didn’t just go to her homeroom then?” There was no requirement from her that he stick only to her at school. This boy was mostly free to do whatever he wanted as long as it didn’t cause anyone trouble. And judging from the look of that scared girl, he had done exactly that.

“It was just that I figured it may be best if you were also friends with her.” He admitted his plan.

“What?” That ticked her off. He knew how she felt about matters, but apparently like with many other people in her life, didn’t care about her feelings. “I already told you I don’t care about that.” Amasa returned to her lunch and faced away from the pair. “Whatever, you can hang out here but don’t talk to me.”

“So, I see you brought along another girl.” Unfortunately for Amasa, the hope of not having to hear too much talking was evaporated when Fukuna arrived. “I take it the two of you only just met.”

“That is correct.” He answered, though it seemed there was some kind of dark energy emanating from this girl when she asked her question. “I ran into her this morning when exploring this building.”

“That’s true…” Chisa agreed, though she spoke while looking directly to the ground. She too also sensed a bad energy and knew she had gotten on this girl’s bad side. Of all the people to make enemies with, she certainly didn’t want it to be Fukuna. “And then he invited me to meet…”

“Amasa.” They had yet to exchange names, so she had no choice but to speak up despite the desire to avoid conversation. “I’m his sister, so that’s why we know each other.”

“Ah.” That made no sense to Chisa. Since these two were in the same class, that should mean they were twins, but they didn’t appear related at all, even if they were fraternal. “I’m sorry if I’m causing any trouble.”

“Oh no, no.” Fukuna told her. “You’re not causing any trouble at all. Just would’ve thought he’d invite me to his desk before a girl he just met.” It was clear there was trouble brewing underneath this group though.

“Well, Amasa doesn’t like you.” He answered his thought process. Apparently that was the part he would actually listen to her about.

“You were free to join me and my friends at my table then.” After all, there was an empty desk next to hers still.

“I guess, but I just happened to run into Ch… Ida and figured I’d do this instead. I don’t really plan anything out.”

“That’s obvious.” Amasa quipped. If this boy spent maybe just a second to think, then he wouldn’t have caused any problems. She swore that they were going to have to spend hours getting him to understand social cues and being aware of other people’s feelings. “Now, can you all just leave and let me eat my lunch in peace?” The girl was upset now that her hopes from before were dashed. Tahiko had proved to be a major thorn in her side.

“Well, I usually go to the cafeteria for lunch.” Chisa was without food compare to the others. She didn’t realize that he would already have a bento here in his class or else she would’ve went there first.

“Aw, that’s too bad.” Fukuna put on a disingenuous tone. “We already have our lunches here, so I guess you’ll just have to alone.” From the way this girl seemed to be trying to get rid of Chisa, Tahiko was confused with that behavior. From the way the teachers talked about the latter, he assumed that everyone thought she was a good person. So why would anyone want to be rid of her.

“It’s no problem.” He suggested a solution to that issue. “I have extra food, so I can spare you some.” That seemed to only serve to tick off the popular girl more as he picked up his bento. “And then we can sit with your friends.” He pointed over to the tables with Fukuna’s friends.

“Finally.” Amasa exclaimed, glad to be rid of these annoying people.

“But before I leave.”

“Ugh!”

“I’m just curious, but why did you have all those papers for someone as small as you?”

“Hmm?” She thought about why she was given that task in the first place. “Oh, right since you’re new you don’t know, but our year’s outdoor excursion is coming up.”

“You’ve gotta be kidding me.” Amasa complained out loud once more.

6