Chapter 12: Climbers
104 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That’s my fill taken care of.” Tahiko stated as he returned to ground level. “Would you like a try?” Since the pair were still roped up, it seemed fair to allow Amasa a chance herself.

“Gonna pass.” She rejected the notion. The only reason she put on the gear in the first place was that needed a spotter and a practical babysitter on this task to not look suspicious. Clearly as shown from his climb, he was likely to go overboard and give himself away.

“Then, would Ida like to try it?” Amasa didn’t realize it, but the quiet girl had been standing besides her silently waiting for a while now. She was all dressed up like she was ready to climb, but had no partner.

“Ahh!” Of course, the sudden realization there was someone standing besides her spooked her. Amasa couldn’t understand how someone could fly under the radar like that to her, and it was worrisome if they ever wanted private conversations. “At least speak up if you’re going to be standing around.”

“Sorry.” Chisa hung her head down in shame from having disappointed someone.

“So do you want a shot at climbing?” Tahiko asked again.

“Well, I don’t know.” She was doubtful of her ability to even be able to make it half way. “It looks hard.”

“Eh, it’s not that hard.” He responded. “Here.” The boy took her and put the girl up against the wall. Then, he attached his safety latch that was connected to the rope sharing Amasa’s to her, but continued to keep himself as a part of the line. “I can even help you if you wish.”

“Help me how?” She was worried as he had now taken a dominate position behind her as she faced the wall. This was stress inducing just wondering what he was going to do to her.

“Yeah really, what are you doing?” Amasa was watching the entire thing in complete bewilderment. Knowing the boy wouldn’t do anything inappropriate, it was strange to see him get so close to someone with little care. Even considering his foolish behavior with lifting her skirt. “And can you stop harassing girls?”

“She worries because of the fear of falling, right?” He answered them explaining his thought process. As long as he kept himself around her as she climbed, then she would be safe even if the girl lost her grip.

“That… Makes sense.” For once, she was impressed he would even consider that. “Then if you’re willing Ida, go on ahead.”

“Okay…” Chisa was still uncertain about this plan. And it wasn’t even the climbing that worried her anymore, but more so about their weird looking position. With him hanging around so close to her, it was like getting as close to someone without touching them.

“Keep steady and take your time.” He encouraged her as the girl took her first steps above the ground. “There’s no rush, we’re all here for fun.” She continued to do as he said, reaching upwards for one of the handles then stopping to take a breather. After some time, she looked back down.

“Whoa!” She felt uneasy seeing they were so far off the ground. It wasn’t high, but at this height a fall would definitely hurt. Chisa began to get dizzy as she tightened her grip onto the handles and pulled as close as she could to the wall.

“Remember, I’m here to keep you from falling.” He comforted her.

“Somehow with that girl he’s not blind to her feelings.” Amasa quipped to herself as she was left with no choice but to watch them. Especially given she had the task of providing a safety net for them. “So weird.”

“Do you want to go back down?” Tahiko asked her as she continued to stay frozen on the spot.

“N-no.” She replied. Even though it was really scary for her to be doing this. The girl felt the strange comfort of support of someone she didn’t want to disappoint. “I can keep going.” And that she did as the girl returned back to her pace of moving slowly up the wall. Chisa’s heart was racing from the excitement of doing something new. Though for someone like Amasa who was stuck watching them move at a snail’s pace. She was struggling to stay awake.

Finally, after a long time had passed, the pair were able to reach the same summit Tahiko did so before. “Wow…” Chisa was in amazement of the view from above. She never would’ve experienced this were it not for him. “It’s beautiful. And I can’t believe it, but I actually did it.”

“That’ great.” He smiled with pride. “You didn’t lose your focus. You didn’t even notice that your pants slipped down.”

“Huh?” As a girl who didn’t want anyone peeking up her skirt. She chose to wear some track pants from home to cover her decency down below. However, they were a bit on the bigger side as her parents had expected her to grow into them by now when they first purchased them. So it had the effect of her having to pull them up from time to time to keep them on right. However, being so worried about climbing the wall made her forget this precious fact.

So as she sat with everyone looking up at her. Her pants had slipped down and left her under parts exposed to the rest of the class. “A-A-Ahh!” She yelped and immediately tried to pull them up so she wouldn’t have to suffer mass embarrassment. Even though from that height no one really could see anything.

However, doing so had the unforununate effect of causing her to lean down and lose balance from where they were seated at the top of the wall. Tahiko, seeing this leaped into action to catch her, but this ended up causing the pair to slip over the edge and begin to come to a free fall.

“Uh oh.” Amasa saw the trouble and quickly get herself ready to try and stop their decent. However, she was only one high school girl and they were two people with weight combined on the pair. The girl’s best attempts couldn’t stop the flow well enough and she even found herself beginning to lift up from the ground. She’d likely be flying to the sky were it not for Fukuna coming to her rescue by grabbing onto the girl’s waist.

“I gotcha.” She said. While it seemed a nice gesture to save someone she didn’t personally like. The only reason why the girl did this was because Tahiko was in trouble, that was her sole motivation for this move.

Finding himself slowing down from the descent, the boy was able to catch onto one of the climbing holds to end their free fall. It was quite easy for someone like him to be able to support both their weight with just the one arm. Everyone watching both had a panic attack just seeing them nearly plunge to their doom, and then were impressed by his display of strength.

“Whew, guess that training has really paid off.” He commented. Not that he needed it in the first place for a situation like this. “Now let us go down safely.”

“Right…” She replied with a blush as he had tightly held her body close to his with his free arm. The two of them got back onto ground level where most of the students mobbed them with lots of chatter and excitement. There were also a couple of teachers who ran up to make sure everyone was still healthy and uninjured from that close shave.

“We should be fine.” He answered nonchalantly. “Accidents happen, so it’s good no one was harmed.”

“That was so cool what you did there.” One of the his female classmates exclaimed. “The way you just dove for her without fear.” It was enough to get some of the girls to call him some kind of knight. Meanwhile, some of the boys were impressed he would risk himself so casually and brush it off like it was an everyday occurrence. Admittedly, back in his days on Enatis risking his life was a daily occurrence. So for him it was an expectation.

“It really wasn’t that impressive.” He downplayed it, assuming that would get them off his trail. Though it seemed the more he acted cool about it, the more impressed they were with him. “Beside, Amasa and Fukuna helped by slowing us down.” He pointed over to the pair, which prompted the crowd to turn their attention to them.

“Oh, it’s really nothing. I would’ve done it for anyone.” Fukuna took it in stride, since she was used to being in the spotlight. “But thanks for understanding our role in this.”

“I didn’t really have a choice.” Amasa was not someone used to being in the spotlight. If anything, she hated being anywhere near it, but yet again that boy brought about unwanted attention her way. “Seriously, get away from me.”

The girl glared over at him as she was surrounded by a bunch of other random students she didn’t care about. This boy really lived to make her suffer, didn’t he?

3