Chapter 17: Standoff
95 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tahiko and Fukuna posted themselves around a corner to check out the surrounding area. There didn’t appear to be anyone at this location. Made sense in regard to the demon wanting to avoid unnecessary attention, but where was said demon?

“Okay, I’m just going to stay here where it’s safe.” Said Fukuna. “Don’t worry, if things get bad I won’t get in your way.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” He walked out into the open without fear. Having to protect innocent lives while fighting a creature intent on ending his life would’ve made things challenging. Though at this point, it wasn’t a guarantee of him having an edge, given their lack of information to Amasa’s whereabouts. “So, coward!?” He yelled out loud into the nothingness that surrounded him. “I came as you asked, now will you face me?”

“You can’t honestly think I’m as stupid as you.” A voice called out. In an instant, Tahiko drew out his blade and faced the source of the sound. There, standing atop the warehouse of which the address was directed at, stood the demon. “Announcing yourself when you don't know where the enemy is has to be one of the dumbest things ever.”

Tahiko’s eyes widened upon seeing the cause of his concern. The demon appeared to some as a slender tall man, nothing about him stood out of place to an average human. However, the boy could sense from him that killing intent that had been plaguing him these past couple of weeks. Never once did he imagine that it was a real demon from Enatis causing his discomfort.

However, what scared him the most from sensing this dark energy was that it was something he knew before. This wasn’t just some substandard demon, he was one of the former generals of the demon army. Soter. The young knight had never met this demon before, but he had heard his name and appearance.

So did his allies find themselves unable to find victory? No, that seemed unlikely given who they were. Was it possible that many of the demon enemies knew about this spell to transport themselves to another world, like the wizard he was tasked with battling. The idea seemed more and more likely as the pair exchanged words.

“You found yourself spreading darkness to another world.” Tahiko called out. “I see that demons only truly know evil.”

“Hmph, unlike an idiot like you. I know better than to lay down my life for a futile cause.” The demon smiled as he held Amasa in his other arm. She was blindfolded and her mouth was taped shut. Though while she was unable to speak words or see her surroundings, it was clear how scared she was to be in this situation.

Things took a turn for the worst as the demon then shoved her off the building. The girl fell into a free fall as Tahiko rushed her way. Given the distance, he knew there was no way he could cover the ground needed to catch her by running. Despite wanting to conserve his energy, the boy was left with no choice but to activate his instant flash, teleportation right to her location.

Holding the girl tightly with one arm, he took his sword with the other and stabbed it into the building to slow their descent. Safely, he was able to bring them to the ground and undo her blindfold and mouth tape.

“Are you all right?” He asked.

“Y-yeah.” Understandably, she was shaken up from her near death experience.

“Run, now!” He pulled her along with him as the demon came crashing down onto their position. The girl was still bound by her hands, but at least her feet could still move. Amasa turned her head back to witness the pair clash between the other. The demon that had kidnapped her used his magic to strike the boy, forcing Tahiko to dodge every attack.

“What’s wrong?” Soter mocked as he sent a flurry of magical bolts around the area. “I would assume the blade of the sea would be stronger than this.” Despite the moves done by the boy to appear quick and precise to an average human, even Tahiko knew he was not keeping up with his usual fighting prowess. Thanks to his physical training, he was able to keep his balance and wits about him as the boy dodged every attack. However, with no path being available with his combat magic, he couldn’t close the gap.

“I also thought a great demon general wouldn’t resort to kidnapping innocent lives.” He retorted as they continued their battle.

“Heheh, always such a foolish knight, aren’t you?” The demon replied. This was going according to plan so far. He had been keeping an eye on the young boy upon realizing he had also somehow made it to the world of Earth. He knew of Tahiko’s limitations from losing his magic here. The same had happened to him as well, which is why neither fought at all close to full strength.

Knowing that, he purposefully did what he did to Amasa, forcing the knight into wasting his energy with the knowledge he’d save the girl’s life. At this point, there was no way for him to worry about the boy pulling out another instant flash. It was a dangerous move, but was not guarantee of success. Tahiko knew this as well. If he failed the attack and passed out, then it would essentially be a death sentence.

“…” There was no way he’d be able to keep this up forever.” He thought. So Tahiko summoned his strength, directing it towards his blade. That title the demon gave him was not unearned. “Please work.” He prayed to bring out one of his special techniques. A glow enveloped his blade as the shimmers of water droplets shined atop his sword. “Well, it’s not as strong as usual.” Of course, it was a mere fraction of his power. However, it still was strong enough in his eyes.

Thanks to Tahiko’s elemental magic, he was able to combine it with his sword to create a stronger weapon.

“Where have I seen this before?” Fukuna, who had been sitting back and biding her time for the right opportunity commented. Something about a person fighting a demon while enhancing his sword with water seemed awfully familiar.

“He really is a shonen protagonist.” Amasa agreed with that assessment. “Well, more like the side character with the same power.”

“I can win this now.” Tahiko announced and rushed straight for the demon. Of course this would bring about the response of the enemy attacking right at him, for it was clear where he’d be heading. However, the knight knew he didn’t need to dodge. Not when his blade could now deflect and cut through every single one of those dark bolts.

“Impossible!” The demon cried out as he closed the gap between them. Tahiko swung and sliced into Soter’s torso. He was barely able to dodge the attack, taking a nasty cut onto his body. “Ahh!” A cry of pain was heard as the boy tried to continue the assault.

“I’ll finish this!”

“Oh no you won’t.” However, there was still another ace up the demon’s sleeve. Quickly, he disappeared into thin air as Tahiko swung his sword once more. Even with his injury, Soter was able to move quickly. He went towards the one spot he knew would give him the advantage, that being right by Amasa’s location.

“What!?” She was shocked to see that her hiding spot was pointless as the demon grabbed her by the neck and used the girl as a shield.

“Let her go!” Tahiko pointed his sword at him, preparing himself to find an opening that did not exist to save the girl once more. “Our fight is only between us.”

“You really are a fool.” That wasn’t enough to convince him of releasing Amasa. “You’re always yammering on about a fair fight, but it’s pointless if you don’t win.” He sharpened his hand into that of a knife and pointed it right for Amasa’s neck. “Looks like you’re in for a lose-lose situation.

“…” Tahiko grit his teeth as he stood still. There didn’t seem anything he could do right now that wouldn’t result in the death of the girl. Right now, it seemed that he had failed to save the day as the pair continued to stand before the other, waiting for a move to be made.

“Hahah, it looks like you’re going to-” Soter mocked his inability to take action, however something interrupted him. A bucket flew out of nowhere as it hit him and covered over his head, blinding him for a moment. It was thanks to Fukuna, who knew she’d have to come in eventually to give the boy the tiny fraction of a second so that he’d have an opening.

Tahiko knew it too the instant he saw the bucket over that demon’s head. Amasa fell over to the ground, as if her body instinctively knew to get out of way for the knight’s final attack. His eyes glowed as he instantly teleported right as Soter ripped the bucket off his head.

“Crashing wave!” Summoning all of his power into his blade, a wave of water engulfed Tahiko’s sword. Charged up, he swung over the top and sliced the demon right in half, ending their battle.

5