HTSCF CH 044 Just your everyday beta…
809 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: It’s hard coming up with names y’all, so this arc gets a weather theme… Ah, I've been slacking on editing because I wanted to read a bunch of BL 😂🙈 so had no time to send this arc to any beta readers… But I’ve edited and edited so I hope it’s still ok… Anyway, welcome to the abo/omegaverse arc!

Zergs—in some story settings they were the villains, and in others they were protagonists. As for the world Jun had just entered, it was the former. Here, Zergs were humanity’s main enemy and often took the form of giant black insects. This world’s plot involved politics and warfare and at the center of it was the protagonist, Skye Lennox, Duke Lennox’s precious omega son, who was also one of the candidates for Crown Princess.

As for Jun’s main source of concern, this world existed under the decision of the reader. In application, it was very probable that Skye Lennox was a transmigrator, who might or might not know the plot. Either way, Jun was certain the world would follow the harem route based on his luck. As for his current identity, Rain Linden—he was the illegitimate youngest son of Marshal Linden, a beta born from a mistress omega.

In every route, to gain the approval of the Marshal, he joined the military academy once he turned 18 and was met with his untimely death during a training mission. Rain Linden’s main purpose as a cannon fodder was to bring attention to a new type of Zerg, the Parasite, able to latch onto human hosts and control them while slowly killing them by consuming the body’s internal organs. In came the protagonist with his SSS grade spirituality capable of detecting such Zergs.

At the halfway point of the plot in the harem route, he would have already won over three of the male leads and was starting on the fourth and fifth ones. In this world, if an omega was strong and fertile enough, they were allowed more than one partner. The only downside was no alpha would be able to mark them if they wanted to share, since it would result in the omega rejecting all other alphas except the one who made the mark.

For omegas, whose main role was to breed for alphas, that was the greatest type of freedom, where they could choose their partners and how many without having to be forced into arranged marriages. Then there were those like Rain Linden’s mother, Eva Blanca, who was an omega mistress, just one of many for Marshal Linden, who only wanted as many alphas as possible to continue his great bloodline.

|System, where am I in the plot?|

There was no doubt in Jun’s mind that the mission for this world was Type A: Survive Death pitfalls until age 19.

|Ehehehehe…|

“Cadet Linden, are you listening to what I’m saying?”

Jun lifted his head to face the man in uniform speaking to him. He couldn’t tell his rank so he went for a generic response. “Yes, Sir.”

After a brief but suspicious look, the man walked away and Jun breathed a sigh of relief.

|So where am I in the plot, System?|

|Well, as my dearest Host has already figured out, the mission in this world is Type A. The good news is you only have to beat Death down for 6 months!|

|The bad news?|

|Obviously, you are not under the protection period because your current identity has been 18 for half a year now, thus the reason for the 6 month period.|

|And?|

|… You are currently on your way to meet Death. See, Host is currently onboard the ship that takes you to the location of the training mission that kills you, planet Z379.|

|… Heh.|

|But worry not, dearest Host! The original may have had C grade physique and C grade spirituality, but you are different. After passing through several worlds and undergoing martial arts training, your soul has improved immensely in quality. I estimate that the current body’s physical grade to be B and spiritual grade to be SSS, if not more.|

|Ok.|

|… Ok?|

|Eh.|

System 00 was very worried! Before, his Host always treated Death with 15% wary, 85% indifference, almost like a joke. Now the indifference seemed to have increased to 100%! How did his Host plan to survive this way?

Jun on the other hand was not worried, knowing exactly what awaited him on Planet Z379. What should have been a level E Zerg-infested planet suitable for training missions turned out to be level B. Onboard were only a dozen or so cadets, mostly betas and a few alphas, with the most powerful person being the officer who spoke to him earlier, the alpha captain. It was not enough to deal with a level B planet unless there was an outlier onboard.

With his cheek resting on a palm, Jun sighed. Why couldn’t he enter these worlds at a peaceful starting point? He missed the zombie world a little…

A few hours later, starship Stardust IV landed on planet Z379 and the captain and his cadets disembarked. This planet was half forestry, half desert, two extremes very suitable for Zerg habitats. According to the scouting data provided, there should have only been the basic type Zergs on the planet, the Nightmares, whose only characteristics were that they were large black beetle-like creatures with strong armored bodies and sharp claws.

Compared to other types, these were the easiest to deal with and only needed the use of phaser guns or swords to take down. The only problem was they tended to travel in large packs and were extraordinarily tenacious, but even so, they were still considered the “basic type.” What should have been an easy mission—wipe out the Zerg population within a certain vicinity—became the complete opposite because there was more than just the basic type where they landed.

Unbeknownst to the team, with the exception of Jun, Z379 was the breeding grounds for the new type of Zerg, the Parasites, so there were several advanced types of Zerg in the vicinity guarding the eggs. There was no point in warning them, because “Rain Linden” wasn’t reliable nor trustworthy. The best Jun could do was to help them survive while trying to survive himself. When the mission team came across the Zergs, many of the cadets couldn’t react, but they were in “luck,” since the advanced types had no plans to kill all of them. This was an opportunity to use the just hatched Parasites.

Though most of the cadets would have been “lucky” enough to be hosts for the Parasites, Jun wasn’t because the plot wanted him dead. Sighing, Jun dodged a Nightmare’s claw while maintaining a safe distance from an advanced Zerg, a Venom Spitter. Though he had a gun, he couldn’t use it due to a lack of experience. As for his sword, he couldn’t use it on the Venom Spitter since he had to stay away at a certain distance. This Zerg not only spat venom it exuded noxious gas. Just being near it would cause his skin to fall off.

Maybe he should throw his sword at the Venom Spitter? But then how would he hack at the Nightmares? If only he could have his standard bow and arrow…

In a moment of brilliance, Jun had the idea to form a bow and arrow using his spiritual powers. Whereas most people imbued their weapons with spiritual powers, giving them a boosted attack and defense, someone with his grade of spirituality should be able to form actual weapons, so he decided to wing it, as always. Little did he know he was currently being recorded and that the formation of a weapon using spiritual powers wasn’t something that had been attempted.

Even so, he wouldn’t have cared, because he was no longer playing the hiding or running away game. If he had to stand out then he would. Using his newly formed bow and arrow, which shone a bright white light, Jun shot down the advanced Zerg, disintegrating it. Everyone who was watching the feed—his team, those back in the military bases on Capital Star, and the Star Fleets’ generals—was awed by this unusual stunning display and use of spiritual powers.

The captain, in particular, was speechless. As far as he knew, Cadet Linden had poor skills and qualifications. With his C grade physicals and spirituality, he shouldn’t have even been accepted into the military academy, but because he was a son of Marshal Linden, the higher-ups allowed him admission. However, this was beyond the capabilities of someone with his stats! Even those with SS grade, the highest known grade of spirituality, couldn’t do what he just did.

Did that mean Cadet Linden’s spiritual grade was SS or higher?

That was indeed the case. With Jun’s help, enough advanced and basic type Zergs were annihilated to allow the team to retreat to Stardust IV and escape, but not before several of the cadets were infected with Parasites without their knowing. The only reason Jun knew was because of the plot and being able to see them making their way to the cadets’ brains with his spiritual powers.

‘So this is how the protagonist was able to detect them. Ew.’ Jun cringed at the sight of the Parasites’ speedy multiplication process and appetite… These people wouldn’t survive long, and there was no cure. Turning away from the sight, he debated whether or not to alert the captain. That was the protagonist’s role, not his. In the end, he chose to send out a message to the captain through their terminals.

“I believe there is something wrong with several of the cadets, Captain. Perhaps a full physical check-up on all of us, once we return, might be best?”

There would be a physical checkup on Jun regardless because the higher-ups wanted to recheck his physical and spiritual grades.

Back on Capital Star’s Central Base, all the cadets and the captain were taken to undergo various tests, which was mainly an excuse to reassess Jun’s stats. It turned out that he was actually of A-grade physique and SSS+ grade spirituality. The machine to test spirituality could only test up to SSS and broke as a result. Unable to fully determine his spiritual grade they could only classify it as “SSS+.”

None of the researchers knew what to think. Never had an alpha reached such high spirituality and this person was a beta!

“The Marshal must be so blessed and proud to have such a talented son.” One of the researchers commented.

“Yes, yes, truly remarkable…”

As for the Marshal, rather than proud, he was furious. This illegitimate son that had been a disappointment was so great and had hidden it from him for years? He was making him lose face. Everyone in the Capital knew about how he treated this son and his mother.

The protagonist, Skye Lennox, who had just been promoted to colonel, was also furious. After transmigrating into his favorite set of novels, he was excited to live his best life, filled with handsome men and glory. In his original world, he had been a Lieutenant General during modern times, but it wasn’t easy to be a gay man in such a high position of military power. Here he could make many handsome men submit to him even as an omega but now the plot had changed?

Skye Lennox ground his teeth. Rain Linden, an insignificant cannon fodder who was supposed to die on planet z379 in every route, survived! And what was with his new stats that challenged his own? The only redeeming factor was that this person was a mere beta.

Back in his dorm room, Jun was relaxing and trying to review the plot some more when System 00 interrupted his thoughts with a ding, ding, ding, making it sound like he’d won a prize when in fact, he hadn’t.

|Host, congratulations on unlocking the Hidden Mission so fast!|

|That fast? I haven’t even met the protagonist…?|

|It seems he already knows about you… You should really check your terminal!|

Jun checked his terminal and realized the video of him fighting the advanced Zergs had been leaked to the general public, as well as the finalized assessment of his stats.

|Well, that explains it. What’s the Hidden Mission?|

|It’s easy, Host. Become the strongest omega!|

Half paying attention, Jun smiled.

|That‘s easy. Aren’t I already the strongest beta?|

|No, read the fine print, dearest Host.|

|… Omega? Aren’t I a beta? Never mind “strongest,” how does a beta become an omega? Wait… No, I don’t want to be an omega!|

|...|

|… System?|

|Good luck, dearest Host! This system wholeheartedly believes you can do it! Fighting!|

|Fighting? Fighting, your ass!|

|Did you forget, Host? This system doesn’t have an “ass.”|

|**********|

Jun held his head. Dammit, he should have known there was no way he’d just be a “beta.” There weren’t many stories he’d read where the transmigrator traversed into a beta…

A/N: I already have an idea for my next story, which will be VR/AR/Omegaverse/Rebirth/Gender Bender lol.

19