Chapter 11: Unfinished Business
270 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What? What’s an Ogre doing all the way out here in this part of Labrisson?” Itzel angled her head to try to get a view outside of the window diner’s window. As she took a step closer to get a better look, she heard a very familiar electric sound erupt from behind. She turned around and saw Enidri holding her sword by two hands with the glowing blade just over her shoulder. She had one foot in front of her as the weapon thrusted forward in an overhead arc. Itzel raised her hands up to protect herself, only to have a thought come to her too late.

That attack breaks guards!

The attack connected. Itzel felt a crushing pain go through her arms. She lowered her guard as she winced from her throbbing limbs. Her eyes opened at just the right moment to see Enidri ready herself for her Signature Technique.  Both hands still held onto the weapon, but now it was lowered at her side.

“Full…” Enidri swung upwards, slashing Itzel’s front. The motion of the sword was like that of a circle, creating an electric ring as her weapon returned to its starting angle.

Moon…” Enidri performed the same attack again. Itzel could feel electricity coursing through her body and keeping her paralyzed in place.

Onslaught!” The final attack of the Technique was another upwards slash, but with one hand. The sound of electricity crackled throughout the restaurant. There was a bright yellow arc that followed the motion of Enidri’s Ion Blade. Itzel was launched high into the air, becoming wedged between a booth and table and she careened towards the ground back first.

“Itzel!” Janus shouted as left his cover to rush to her side. Enidri rubbed her head as brought up her screen.

“Good game, Itzel,” she said with a slight groan. “I appreciate the donation. I’d like to stay but there’s an Ogre outside wreaking havoc and I could use that paycheck.” Realizing that exiting through the front door was no longer an option, Enidri turned to the diner’s side window as an alternative route. “Flying Cutter!” Her sword flew through the window, shattering it to bits. She hopped on the table next to the now-empty sill and jumped out of the diner.

Janus took Itzel’s hand and pulled her upright. “Are you alright?” he asked as she straightened her posture. She kept one hand on her forehead as her other hand formed a fist that slammed into the table.

“Dammit!” she shouted. The cries and screams coming from outside became louder, only to be obscured by the sound of metal twisting and crunching.

“I know you’re upset about that Ranked Challenge, Itzel, but I think we have more pressing matters at hand,” Janus said as he turned his head towards the sound.

“I-I know…” she stammered as she rose to her feet. She wobbled back and forth. Janus caught her before she fell to the ground. “What happened again?”

“Ogre!” Gurk exclaimed, still prying through the metal of the crushed car at the entrance.

“Oh right!” Itzel’s eyes widened. “An Ogre! Do you know how much taking out one of those would net us?”

“What’s an Ogre? Is that a class of Essencima?”

Itzel nodded. “Tier Four. Worth more than a few Tokens.” Itzel clenched her stomach as she limped towards the shattered window. “Come on Gurk! If we’re quick, we can probably take it out before Enidri does.”

“Help!” Gurk stepped to the side, revealing a hapless old man pinned between his seat and a smashed part of his vehicle.

“We’ll have to leave him, Gurk!” Itzel exclaimed. She and Janus looked out the window. Across the street was another flying vehicle on its side that had smashed into one of the light posts. Although the Ogre itself wasn’t visible from their angle, the destruction it had left behind was. “You know how much damage one of those things can do! Just leave him for the Rescue Crew!

Gurk ignored Itzel’s command, still trying to free the unconscious victim from his crushed metal cage.

“Gurk!” Itzel shouted. Still no response. Janus ran to the crocodile’s side and examined the scene. The man was stuck in tight; a piece of sharp metal protruded inwards towards the vehicle, inches away from puncturing his chest.

“Hey Gurk,” Janus said in a low voice. The crocodile stopped trying prying away at parts of the vehicle to look at him. “This is going to require finesse. I know I’m not anywhere near as strong as you, but that’s why you’ll have to go and take on that Ogre. I can’t fight, and if that thing can throw something this size through the door…” Janus let out a long sigh as he looked at the victim. His eyes were closed. His white hair dangled to the side, showing off the cuts and tears on his face. But Janus could tell that he was still breathing by the way his body moved slowly. “Itzel is going to need all of the help she can get to stop it.”

Gurk looked at the victim and then towards Itzel. She waved for him to follow as she started to climb onto the diner’s table. He took one more glance at Janus. Even though his face bore a look of calmness, Gurk could tell that behind his glasses and in his eyes that there was a deep fear within him.

“Sure?” Gurk asked.

Janus nodded. “Yes, I’m sure.”

The crocodile eased off the metal that he had been holding onto, making sure that it didn’t move too much as he stepped away. “Be careful,” he said in his usual low yet loud voice as he made his way to the shattered window.

“You too,” Janus replied. Itzel jumped out of the window with Gurk right behind. Janus returned to the situation before him and began analyzing the wreckage. He could feel sweat forming on his forehead. With one hand he wiped away the perspiration and looked at the pieces of the vehicle and how they were broken.

I wish Gurk didn’t start tearing through this metal. Looks like he made this mess even more complicated.

15