B2 Chapter 5: Through the Looking Glass
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s been a bit busy for the past day, so I didn’t have a chance to speak with you after the… executions. You were the first to step up and put down that pig… But where are my manners, my name is Cauaria. What’s yours?” The fiery haired woman took a seat next to the girl, pressed up against the railing, feet dangling over the open seas.

The child was still worse for the wear, her hair was disheveled, bruises still visible on her skin alongside the wounds the pirate captain had inflicted upon her. As she looked up at the much larger woman only pain and emptiness were reflected within her pair or hollow orbs. Quickly losing interest in the fiery haired woman the girl turned back to the sea, gazing out at the horizon, watching the birds gliding in the wind, snapping up the fish just below the surface.

“Captain, the lookouts have spotted something approaching from the south.” The sailor leaned in, whispering the whatever information they did not wish for the others on deck to hear. Cauaria’s eyes widened in response, grabbing her blades resting next to her and departing without a word. The girl remained in place, her eyes focused on the dark waters below, taking no notice of others in her vicinity.

Cauaria returned to the deck of her flagship the Blazing Fury, in her hand was an elongated copper device retrieved from a locked container within her cabin. Her sister and father had spent many weeks working on the object, getting the measurements just right, finding the right material to produce the glass lenses. Cauaria held the device up, it was a tube on which one side expanded to around the size of an apple, and the other had a hole just large enough for someone to peek through. Within were a series of glass lenses, fitted to allow the users to clarify distant objects.

Peering through the looking glass Cauaria was able to get a clear image of the shapes upon the horizon, a dozen or more vessels, a disorganized fleet filled with a variety of ships. However, what was clear was the symbol of the Emerald Leviathan’s, and yet a line of red paint had been smeared across the neck of the serpent. The image had been modified to appear as if the creature had been decapitated.

“Move the non-combatants over to the merchant vessel, leave a small group of sailors to keep control of the vessel. The rest of the ships will move to intercept the approaching fleet. If this devolves into a battle the non-combatants are to be delivered to Port Ealar, we shall cover their escape. Is that understood?” the looking glass retracted with an audible click, as if that was the signal, Cauaria’s officers immediately departed to carry out her orders.

Luckily there were no mishaps or accidents during the transfer, with most non-combatants already taking refuge on the merchant vessel. Soon enough all three biremes broke away from the larger, slower vessel and turned to impede the approaching fleet. Cauaria and her squadron were clearly outnumbered, to avoid being separated and being crushed individually they slowed their approach and condensed the formation. Ensuring that the crew of either ship would be able to assist the others once combat was underway.

“Captain, the unknown fleet doesn’t appear to be taking any actions at all.” Even as the squadron made their approach and closed in on the larger fleet, those opposite them made no move. They instead maintained their current speed and heading, paying little attention to those nipping at their heels.

It was only when the two forces were within visual distance that the fleet started to slow, maintaining their heading and speed, with only one of the vessels, a slightly damaged trireme breaking away and approaching the group of three smaller ships. It was soon after that a white flag was raised upon the deck of the trireme, their oarsmen slowing and eventually halting forward momentum. Cauaria followed suit, her two escort vessels keeping their distance as the two commanding vessels met in the center.

As the two ships pulled alongside one another the men and women onboard tossed the ropes and lashed the vessels together. Cauaria maintained a stern and threatening glare, her image reflecting that of a dangerous lioness, ready to pounce at a moment’s notice. The tight grip with which she held her weapons spoke of her uneasiness, a mentality honed over years of conflict.

“My dear girl, there is no need for such bloodlust. I though I taught you to keep that under the surface…” A slightly raspy voice called out from the stairwell leading below deck. Cauaria’s guard loosened once she heard the voice, but her eyes lit up when she saw the dark-skinned man walk up onto the deck.

“Admiral Bienra… What are you doing here?” Cauaria could not hold in her excitement and rushed up to the man, lifting him up in her arms. Bienra appeared momentarily surprised but quickly adapted, a smile lit up his face as he patted the back of the red-haired woman.

Soon enough the cloaked warriors of the Balearii clan appeared from below deck, many giving the redhead a soft pat as they moved to relieve the inexperienced soldiers on deck. “Your father and I were dealing with some minor irritants. It was also a good way to test out some of the new weapons that were recently delivered, the Lord was generous with his gifts this time. I’m sure you will find out in time princess.” After Cauaria released her hold Bienra finally had some room to breathe. It was clear the two were happy to see one another, however it was clear from Bienra’s expression that they should continue the reunion at a later time.

“Princess, I would love to chat, but we are busy escorting these captives back to Kyrnos. We rescued more than we anticipated from the pirate stronghold. Your father has probably already reached Port Ealar, so I have been left in command of the fleet. If we are heading in the same direction, I would be happy to escort you and your men to safety, if you would allow me that is.” Bienra once a captive of pirates had risen to become fleet commander of the Balearii clan’s naval forces. With his domain at Port Ealar, he organized all punitive raids against the pirate forces in the surrounding region. His lame right leg a reminder of the damages visited upon those unlucky enough to find themselves at the mercy of many of the existing pirate organizations.

“Admiral, my men and I would be honored to assist in guarding your fleet to Port Ealar.” Cauaria saluted the man and quickly relayed her orders to the rest of the crew. Bienra did the same, having his men disengage both vessels and then leading them to rejoin the rest of the fleet.

Along the way one of Cauaria’s ship caught up with the merchant vessel, informing the crew of the situation and soon enough they had also merged with the main fleet. At that point they could relax, knowing that the size of the fleet would deter any pirate force in the nearby region. Most of whom had suffered under the continuous raids by the Balearii navy. Any groups looking to make port in Aletria, on the northeastern tip of Kyrnos would need to hug the southern Galian coast to avoid interception.

It would be another day or two at the current speed for the fleet to arrive at Port Ealar. In the meantime, there would plenty of opportunities to connect with others and figure out how the rescued individuals would be dispersed.

Please rate or review, reviews are preferred and I appreciate your assistance in improving the story.

As always, think about joining our patreon today! It helps to support future commissions, and allows you access to advance chapters.

Link to the patreon here for your convenience.

Don't forget to join the Discord, it does not cost you anything and I would be happy to chat and discuss questions you might have, discuss characters and scenes. So if you're interested here is the Discord link

Have a Great Day

2