B2 Chapter 17: Night on the Town
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Timeaus had picked a nice cozy section of the city, an area that was closer to the bridge crossing, but remaining on the Orlika Island side. The restaurant he led the group to was a small place, barely enough space to seat five people, with some additional wooden benches outside overlooking the sea. This area lay upon a stretch of land that rested on a naturally elevated section of the island, which provided a great view of the sea while remaining safely within the defensive walls.

However, due to the prime location of this land, many of the original inhabitants had long since been displaced. Now, this stretch of road was known as the Gaiteus’s Rest, Gaiteus was a well-known god quite popular among all spectrum's of people. He was the god of food, spirits, and festivals, often depicted as fat and filled with mirth, caring only for merrymaking, and accepting of all people into his fold.

Like Gaiteus, the shops and businesses centered around inns, and restaurants, encompassing traditional foods from all areas of the known world. Kurtian, Medean, and Etruskan immigrants were only some of the various cultural staples which could be found within this cosmopolitan center of trade.

Yet all was not well, other businesses were aiming at acquiring this prime slice of property, most of which catered specifically to the nobility. Restaurants, brothels, and taverns accessible only to those of the upper strata. Increased taxes on both goods and properties were squeezing the people, with only the nobility and wealthy merchants benefiting from the changes. The effects of which could be seen, many of the smaller traditional food shops were struggling, half of whom had already shuttered their doors. Yet the areas further down the street, where the elevation was highest were thriving, the sounds of laughter and merrymaking loud enough for all to hear.

Even still, there were unassuming places like the Siren’s Embrace. Although the venue was constrained, its view of the sea less spectacular, it had a sense of familiarity, a homey feel. The clients were mainly small-time traders, merchants, and those of middle-class professionals, those with some disposable income looking for a warm meal and a quiet familial atmosphere. All of which the Siren’s Embrace delivered in spades.

From here one could enjoy a warm meal of fish and bread, paired with a hearty mead, all while witnessing the beauty the island had to offer. Starting with the bustling stone paved streets, to the towering temples and mausoleums in the distance. Even the sight of the ships sailing to port, their silhouette illuminated by the backdrop of the sun slowly descending towards the horizon was a sight to behold for any, let alone those who had spent their lives trapped behind stone walls.

“Here we are boy’s and girls, The Siren’s Embrace. Best mead this side of Syroneika, damn good grilled fish too. Perks of living near the ocean I imagine, but I can assure you that saltwater fish have much better flavor than the river fish we’re used to seeing in Temrenos. Make sure to savor it, or else you’ll regret it later.” It was clear from his reactions that Timeaus was really looking forward to the meal, and he was quick to rush towards the counter to place the order.

A few minutes later Timeaus was returning with the two brothers Spurius and Paulus assisting him with the wooden tray piled with wrapped fish and bread. One could smell the spices as the trio approached, Timeaus explained how lucky they were, today’s meal was spiced amberjack with a side of flatbread and almonds. It was stated that the local fishermen had been exceptionally lucky, managing to haul in a monstrous variation of this species. The creature had been fileted, the flesh marinated in salt and spices, followed by a spritz of lemon shavings and juice. With the business owner explaining how they didn’t have much left, before providing the accompanying wooden mugs filled with golden colored mead, the aroma of honey wafting with the breeze.

“Haha, I can see you salivating boy. No need to make a show of it, we’ll get done eating real quick. Besides, you’ll have plenty of this mead once we reach home. This here is Qarnamese honey mead, you yourself sold a few barrels of these earlier today. For now, one cup should do… Let’s sit, I’m hungry and I’m not in the mood for waiting.” Timeaus pushed over the tray, handing out the food to everyone while he was speaking to Niko. It wasn’t long before they realized that there wasn’t going to be enough room at the table, and as the two brothers were already seated with Luecena and her family, it was Niko and Timeaus who decided to sit on one of the benches outside.

The two sat quietly munching on their meal, occasionally they would chat about the things they saw pass by, but it was mainly a quiet time watching the sun slowly set. A time to enjoy the soft touch of the salty breeze, to observe the waves whisk back and forth, a chance to relax after weeks of constant awareness. Only now, when the troubles and dangers of the road seemed so far away that the two men finally had the opportunity to wind down, to relax and let their body hang loose, without fear of an enemy ambush.

“It was not your fault boy. You’re kidding yourself if you think I haven’t noticed that stare of yours.” Timeaus didn’t turn his attention from the sea, but he had noticed Niko’s focus, the casual glances towards his sleeve. It would be wrong to say the man didn’t hold some regrets towards his new status as a cripple, the loss had destroyed his main skill, he was unlikely to ever hold a bow again. Yet even with such a devastating change he still had the ability to laugh about it, “You got something on your mind kid… I can see it, clear as day. Probably something to do with this here stump…”

Timeaus rolled up his sleeve, swinging the meaty stump in the air for all to see, all the while taking a massive chug from his mug of ale. Downing the entire thing in almost a single attempt. “I will not lie to you… the injury does way heavily upon me. You saw me back in the mountain pass, I feel I’ll come to terms with the pain and loss in time. But I wouldn’t have done anything differently, I made the choice to protect you, and I paid this price willingly. You dishonor my actions when you allow this pain to weigh upon you.”

Niko’s fists clenched tight, his shoulders shaking as he contained himself. “Why? Why risk yourself… your future, for me? I’m a slave, a nobody… I am an object that people buy and sell. Why do it?” Timeaus struggled to stare at the boy, unable to form the appropriate words to deliver his answer. It was a stranger, someone who happened to pass by at that exact moment who provided that which Niko sought.

“Oh, three claws, I didn’t you were back in town. I see you brought your son along with you, doesn’t look like he’s aged a day.” The woman had appeared from one of the nearby alleys, she wasn’t particularly beautiful, in fact it could be said she had an air of regality about her. Thick shoulder length curls and a light coffee tone identified her as someone of Medean heritage. Whereas the rough salt-stained texture of her skin, numerous wounds, and toned frame identified her as a woman of the seas. An eye-patch obstructed her right eye, a result of a long-forgotten event, add to that the horrible burn marks running down the length of her left leg and it was easy to see why the two brutish men at her sides appeared meek in comparison.

“Jezebel, it’s good to see you again in excellent health by your standards. However, I would really appreciate it if you didn’t always butt into conversations, whether you meant to or not.” For once Timeaus was speaking in a more somber tone, his usual rambunctious actions subdued by the heavy atmosphere.

“You forgot the a, it’s Jezebela, and that’s Lady Jezebela to you three claws… either way just making the rounds after a hard day of work and thought to get a bite to eat. Even I get nostalgic for home at times, some traditional Medean cuisine is justified at the end of a hard day. Wouldn’t you agree boy?” Niko looked at the woman, gave a slight nod in affirmation, but remained unsure as to why she cared what he thought. In fact, it was strange that the woman was treating him the same way one might treat an acquaintance, not overtly close but better than you would someone you’ve never met.

“By the way three claws, what happened to the arm. Your wife finally decide to leave you?” Each of the muscle-bound tattooed sailors on either side of the woman didn’t let out so much as a chuckle, it was in fact Timeaus who burst out laughing in response. “No, got this on the job. You could say that the opponent disarmed me, but we handily won the battle.” Timeaus’s response left Niko and Jezebela shaking her head in embarrassment. The two bodyguards meanwhile showed no reaction, it was better to just imagine them as lifelike statues.

Before either Timeaus or Jezebela had the chance continue down this road, Niko got between them. “Lady Jezebela, what did you mean when you mentioned me being Timeaus’s son. I have never heard about him being married or having children… so forgive me if I am a bit confused.”

Jezebela turned her attention from Timeaus who had his head down, his focus within the now empty cup of mead; and Niko who was staring directly at her, his desires clear as day. “I could tell you, but that’s not something you should hear from me. If you are that curious, then you should be discussing it with the man next to you. We all have our demon’s kid, reasons why we do what we do, it is up to him to tell you that story… Not me.” Timeaus let out a relieved sigh, his hand still shaking slightly. Niko took one look at the man and understood the underlying trauma, a story that perhaps he would hear one day, but for now he would need to be content with what he knew; that Timeaus didn’t blame him for the injury.

“Well, enjoy the rest of your evening three claws, you as well boy. My men and I are famished, so I think we’ll pick a nice quiet spot in the corner. Personally, I’m looking forward to the spiced fish, it was actually some of our boys who caught it earlier this week. May the Gods watch over you friends.” With a final wave the woman made her way into the cramped shop, it was clear that she was a regular. Before she even got to the counter her food was ready, in addition to a reserved table nestled in an often-overlooked corner of the place.

“Try not to piss off that woman, she runs these streets. The Scylla family is what they call themselves, they’re not bad people. Things are much better with them running things than the other groups, but still don’t go making an enemy out of her. Jezebela is not someone to take lightly, she’s a good businesswoman, and she runs a tight ship. Whenever a rat finds its way in her cabin, she gets rid of it, she only ever considers house cleaning a hard day’s work, now and in the past not much has changed and everything has.” Timeaus stared out towards the sea, the sun turning a dim orange hue as it drifted further towards the horizon. There was a history there, a painful one, yet Niko realized pushing the envelope any further would be counterproductive, pushing Timeaus away, for now he would just have to accept that reality.

“Well, no need to worry. Looks like someone else has volunteered to extend that hard day.” Niko was referring to a group of young men, around ten of them all armed with thick wooden clubs. Every one of them was dressed in matching blue tunics, possessing the light olive complexion and short brown locks of those natives with strong Lyrian blood. The men had surrounded the entrance of the shop, a single man entered under the gaze of all the patrons.

“Old man, time is up. We gave you a week to deliver the money, you haven’t paid for our protection. The Blue Bloods own this street, you and your dirty little hovel are not welcome anymore.” The spokesman for the group turned panned to the left and right, eyeing up the customers in the store. “Leave the trays behind and leave now, the store is now closed… except for the two ladies over there. You two can stay, the rest of you get out of here unless you want trouble.” Of course, the two singled out were Leucena and Mera as could have been expected. Leucena was massaging her temples, signs of irritation building. Mera meanwhile appeared ecstatic, a black egg already within her grasp.

The patrons were quick to respond, leaving their food behind and fleeing from the place. Only Leucena’s table remained, Spurius and Paulus standing up and shielding the two women from view. “The ladies stay with-” Before the Blue Blood leader had a chance to threaten the two brother his head slammed into a nearby table, the wood snapping as the man’s head impacted with it.

Standing above the man was one of Jezebela’s tattooed guards, his left hand grasped firmly around the downed man’s skull. “For once I would like to enjoy my dinner without something going wrong… Instead, I get a bunch of wet behind the ear’s children, looking to edge into my territory! You little shits have no idea of the line you crossed.” Jezebela for the most part maintained her calm tone, but with an underlying chill. It was clear she had no intention of being lenient. Jezebela and her two guards stood on one side, with the nine remaining Blue Bloods on the other, while Timeaus and the rest remained on standby, willing to step in if the situation called for it.

So with this chapter we get another criminal/underworld organization, one that does so out of need rather than want. One that possesses honor, but is willing to carry out the hard acts required to keep their people safe.

They are the foil for the Taureas, with Jezebela having muscled them out of their territory. Personally I love Jezebela's design, where Mera and Leucena are traditional beauties, Cauaria is a fierce fighter but still a beauty. Jezebela is not those, not anymore, the scars and signs of battle indicate a lifetime spent fighting, whatever traditional sense of feminine beauty has been cast away in order to survive. Her demeanor, decisiveness and strength are what is beautiful about her, she knows what she wants and needs and is willing to do whatever it takes to hold on to them, as well as achieve her goals.

This chapter was also enjoyable because I got to do a little bit of world building, the restaurant is fashioned after Roman era fast food joints. If you didn't know I would suggest looking it up, there are images of perfectly preserved sites unearthed in Pompeii, still has the original mosaics and everything, very interesting.

Well, that's about everything. I'm not going to bother you with asking for a review or patreon or anything. Just hope you look forward to the next release, we get another brawl, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Please leave comments, let me know what you think and thanks again for reading, I really appreciate the support as it helps me continue this awesome work.

1