B2 Chapter 21: Flesh and Nature
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Run! We can’t win!” Less than fifteen minutes had passed, the original ten or so assassins having been reduced to a paltry four. Seconds later it had been reduced yet again to three, the wooden floors of the brothel was sticky with blood, and strewn with limbs. The creature stepping out of the darkness, four branch like limbs extending from its back, skewered upon it were the other assassins, the bodies slowly turning into mummified husks.

“How delightful, human blood is always so refreshing. I’d prefer children as they are so sweet, but this spiciness isn’t bad sometimes… But I must say, I’m famished from all this exercise. I could go for a leg or two, the meat of the thigh is always so succulent.” The creature always remained masked within the darkness, sometimes its face depicted that of a beautiful woman, other times a handsome man. Yet it’s body language and the way it moved spoke of a feminine origin.

However, at the moments it lunged forward the glamour was dispersed, and the true image of the beast was revealed. Humanoid in form made up of a writhing mass of what resembled tree roots, black and gnarled. Below that was what could only be described as a mass of flesh, strange beating organs encased in wood like overgrowth. Its head appeared like a ball of tangled roots, dozens of slits within housed oblong lidless eyes and mouths filled with razor sharp teeth. The glamour only coming down when it moved to feast, taking big chunks out of any victim unfortunate enough to be caught within its grasp.

The man who turned to escape was the first to be taken down, the creature charging forward and skewering him through the back, tearing him limb from limb. All the while he was screaming, his blood splattering over the walls and floor as his two remaining companions looked on in horror. What was even more terror inducing was the lengths the monster went to in order to keep its victim alive, avoiding the vitals and ravenously consuming chunks of flesh, crimson blood dribbling from a dozen lipless mouths.

The two assassins seeing their opportunity bolted, one down the stairs, the other over the railing into the general area below. Many of the guests and workers had already cleared out, after noticing almost a dozen heavily armed men rushing up the stairs. Those left were either too curious to know what was good for them, or too drunk to recognize what was happening.

Unfortunately for the assassin he came down too hard on one of the tables, snapping it in two and causing him to land at an awkward angle. A muffled yell escaped his lips, his left leg angled incorrectly, either broken or dislocated, neither situation ideal in the current situation. There was no time to contemplate his next course of action as a cackling laugh reverberated above. The monster had finished its meal, its many misshapen limbs hanging over the railing far above, numerous eyes swiveling in every direction burning with an eerie red luster.

“Where do you think you’re going!” The high-pitched shriek left anyone in the area clutching their ears in pain. This momentary stun left the men, as well as any additional individuals unfortunate enough to have remained in the structure immobile.

With one giant leap the monster latched onto the walls, the multiple blood sucking limbs acting like the legs of a spider. Slowly descending upon the injured assassin, as if he were an insect caught in a spider’s web, with death approaching. Having lost his hatchet, the man clung desperately to the dagger in his outstretched hand.

However, in that moment, as one of the monster’s limbs glided over the second floor railing an axe head came whipping out, chopping down on the series of entwined roots. The creature yelled out in pain as the areas around the cut began to wither, regenerating much more slowly than the other wounds. Having rushed to the railing the second assassin and the leader of the group had succeeded where his men had failed. Buoyed by the pained cries he took another massive swipe, this time hacking the limb clean off, sending the monster careening down into the area below.

“Haha, how do you like that you damned monster! Looks like the poison works on you just as well as any man.” In his hand was a clay bottle, the clear liquid had a scent reminiscent of olives, and was well known among oil producers. Amusa was the watery residue left behind after olives had been pressed for their oil, with the residue known for its ability to poison weeds, ant, moles, and other small creatures. Killer’s especially those who were cash strapped found ways to mix this residue with crushed hemlock, the result was a poison that was effective and cheap. Especially in a region like central Syroneika where olive and wine were some of the major exports.

Not wanting to waste this opportunity and understanding that a creature as vindictive and sadistic as what lay there would not allow him to escape, he made his way down the stairs towards it. After what he had done, it would hunt him down, and he was not confident in his capabilities to evade it. There was now an alternative though, the Shrew Leaf poison had showed its effectiveness, and with it an opportunity to kill the beast.

“I spent years putting together these men. Expended my blood, sweat, and treasures to raise them up into capable fighters! And you killed them! I’m going to enjoy hacking you to pieces, you ugly freak!” As he approached the collapsed monster, axe in hand, he made sure to slather the shrew leaf poison over his weapon.

His target was crumpled up into a ball, the thinner limbs protruding from its back had been crushed in the fall. Yet, it was obvious that the body was repairing the frayed section, and realigning limbs. It did not speak even as the assassin leader approached, the anger and hostility in the monster’s many eyes however were clear as day. The playful attitude was gone, the cat and mouse game was over.

“You do not know your place filthy mortal. I will make sure that you live, but you will wish you were dead when I am through with you.” Picking itself off the ground, the monster erupted forward, its many limbs rushing in unison towards the man.

In response the man jumped towards the creature, swinging down with his axe and leaving a large gash in its flank. Pivoting to his left, barely avoiding the spear like limb as it passed. The captain of the assassination squad moved with the finesse not suited to his large size, making full use of the room and its obstacles as platforms and barriers. He was hard pressed due to his opponent’s speed and power, but it was a better position than a constricted hallway. Had the squad been given the opportunity to retreat to the general area, the outcome may have been different.

With a strong downward slash another limb went flying, a dark corrosive liquid leaking from the monster’s wounds. The assassin was nimbler and more calculative, his years of experience and skill depicted in the way he moved and struck at only most opportune times. Which contrasted with his enemy, the monster was not skillful in hand-to-hand combat, it was only its absurdly high physical capabilities and regenerative abilities which were slowly winning it the battle. The monster’s characteristics all pointed towards something designed or adapted for ambushes and infiltration, it was not a front-line combatant. Yet even still, it was a creature that defied human logic, as if it was not for the shrew leaf poison, it would have easily shrugged off every blow.

“Today I may die monster… but I will leave upon you a mark you will not soon forget. Come let us end it with one last strike!” The assassin leader issued his challenge, both combatants looked worse for wear, although the creature was recovering, if slightly.

“Kill…Kill…I WILL KILL YOU!” Unable to hold back the anger and embarrassment the monster charged forward. To have been reduced to such a state by what it considered an inferior being was a stain upon its reputation. That stain couldn’t be removed, only washed away with blood.

Earlier in the fight the captain of the assassination team had suffered a deep gash along his right leg. Knowing that it would be impossible to dodge, he resolved himself to take the blow and deliver one of his own. Either he would die, or they would both die, there was no foreseeable outcome in which he would live, a reality he had accepted. Which is the reason he opted for an overhead stance, exposing his chest and belly, while holding up his axe in a firm two handed grip above his head, waiting for his chance.

The monster’s lunging strike connected, tearing through flesh, impaling the man as its jagged clawed hands tore through both his flanks. Gritting his teeth to muffle the screams, the man swung down his axe, chopping with all his strength, cleaving the creature’s head in two. The smile of triumph appeared on his face for a brief moment, before instantly being wiped away.

“Good try human. I commend you for your bravery, but I would like to see how long that lasts as you are slowly digested alive.” Each of the mouths spoke separately, at different times, and in different orders, creating a dissonance that grated the mind. Then what could only be described as its abdomen opened to reveal a cocoon like flesh organ, it bristled with tiny teeth like thorns. This horrific amalgamation of flesh and nature undulated with delight as it dragged the screaming man into its waiting embrace. Within seconds the roots tightened, recreating the feminine figure, sealing away the visual horror show that lay beneath.

“Well, you all have wasted my time, and assuming my prey is still alive, he will have gotten away. Without treatment he probably won’t live much longer anyway, but then again… neither will any of you.” Having dealt with the only threat, the monster would have its fill. Both to consume the necessary nutrients to repair all the damage, as well as to soothe its bruised ego.

Retia’s Embrace, a staple of the night life within the Capital ended that night. Only those who fled spoke of a fight, possibly an underworld skirmish, a play at acquiring that neutral land. The unusual lack of any corpses alongside the copious amounts of blood spilled, ensured that no matter the truth, none would ever step foot within that structure again.

Well, we're really getting into the horror elements now. Gives you a little idea on the nature themed titles for the novel series. More details on what these things are, how they come to be, and what their purpose is will be explained in time. More variations to come soon, and we're really going to take a turn into the magical and horror elements going forward.

Let me know what you think. I am enjoying these scenes and would love to hear what you all think.

I have commissioned art for this specific creature and will post it for your viewing pleasure once its ready.

If you haven't done so already, please leave a review or rating, it helps.

Other than that think about joining the discord or supporting the series on Patreon.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, hope to see you soon.

1