B2 Chapter 46: Beasts of the Balearii
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An ear shattering roar bellowed across the clearing. In the center, surrounded by a light dusting of snow and mountains filled with vast evergreen forests stood a bear, its crimson fur glistening with the morning dew. Perched on its hind legs the massive creature towered over the burly human giant standing before him. The two remained rooted in place eying one another, the bearded giant stood approximately six feet six inches tall, a veritable giant among his people. Even then he was no match for the crimson bear before him which was almost a whole foot taller.

The man took one step back, his eyes never leaving the beast, but that was the moment the creature chose to charge. Landing on its front limbs the bear rushed forward headfirst, all four limbs united in purpose, tongue hanging loosely from pulled back lips. Yet the man never once flinched, in fact a smile lit up across his face as he lowered himself, his right foot digging into the hard packed dirt, then the two collided.

Contrary to what one might think the man did not bowl over, did not collapse in a heap from the impact. In fact, it was not the massive bear that came out ahead in the exchange, instead it had found itself in a vice-like grip. Its neck held tight between two big meaty arms. A titanic struggle ensued with both monsters grappling for supremacy, at times the man was beset by the creature’s bulk and mass. At others the bear would find the red maned man had slipped from its grasp, hanging from its back, arms tightly secured around the creature’s thick neck.

This back and forth between the two continued for some time, both combatants becoming sluggish, their movements less frequent, struggles less vigorous. The burly giant still grasping onto the beast’s back when he was suddenly flung off. The crimson bear fell to the ground exhausted, whimpering and crying, its head nuzzling the thigh of the new arrival.

A young woman stood defiant, glaring at the red bearded giant, as she gave a gentle rub to the whimpering bear. The man slowly rose from the ground, rubbing his face where the kick which flung him from the bear had landed. With a wide toothed grin, the giant stared at the young woman, about to say something when a powerful right hook landed on his chin and sent him back to the ground.

“Why are you bullying Gulgul old man! Can’t you see he doesn’t want to train with you!” The young woman shared some resemblance with the burly man, she was muscular, with rough tanned, and dark reddish-orange hair like an inferno which flowed slightly past her shoulders, and easily matched her fiery personality. Before her father could rise, she rushed over and kicked him onto his back. Placing her rear on his chest and pinning his arms with both legs, before unleashing a barrage of fists towards his face.

“STUPID OLD MAN! I return from another successful raid on those disgusting Aletrian pirates and what do I find upon my return! You are bullying MY Gulgul, instead of finishing your work in the smithy! GET BACK TO WORK!” Releasing a long-held breath the young woman dismounted her victim and stomped over to the crying Gulgul. “It’s okay Gulgul, mommy is here… do you want a treat… Does Gulgul want a big juicy treat?” The woman’s personality had undergone a complete one eighty, as she cooed in a sweet voice.

Upon hearing the magic words, the bear jumped up from his position after receiving the adequate amount of belly rubs, nuzzling his snout against the young woman’s face before granting her an affectionate lick. Laughing at her big baby’s antics she patted its flank before retrieving a bow, quiver, and a pair of swords she had dropped earlier.

“Father, I picked up a young girl during the raid this time. I intend to raise and train her, don’t scare her when you get back to town, she can’t talk… I just wish for once you would stop giving me so many headaches.” The woman let out an exhausted sigh, “I wish you would act your age sometimes, mother’s not here to keep you in line, and I have my own life… I have to go, I’ll see you back in town…” with that last word the pair, woman and pet waltzed off into the woods. Hoping to retrieve something to mend the bear’s wounded heart.

“Young lady Cauaria is shaping up to be a fine warrior and leader, Lord Vexariz… However, you should know how she gets when you bully her pet. Even if you are her father, and chieftain of the Balearii, the girl will not back down.” Standing above the red bearded giant was another man, this one shorter and more wizened, his hair a forest of grey with pockets of brown. However, his body was fit, and he appeared in incredibly good shape for one his age.

“Tritus shut up will you… my head is still ringing. The girl gave me quite the beating, hahaha… that’s my daughter, takes after her late mother. Bless her heart she is a kind one, prone to picking up strays. But that crimson bear is no house pet, it needs to be trained! A ferocious fighter that one could be… but what does my daughter do… gets him fat on treats and sleep! Unacceptable Tritus… It is unacceptable! Aren’t you her tutor, what have you been teaching her?” Vexariz hopped back up, wiping away the streaks of dark crimson blood, the wounds underneath already healed.

“I have taught her everything as you described Chieftain, etiquette, combat, strategy, and beast taming. I should say she is quite exceptional, a bit of a fire starter sure… but have you ever seen any of the other beast warriors’ bond with a crimson bear? To warrant such love and loyalty?” Vexariz had no reply, forced to simply grumble beneath his breath and kick the dirt in frustration.

“Chieftain, attending to the young lady’s needs is not the primary reason why I accompanied her here from Port Ealar.” Tritus rummaged around his cloak for a short while before finding what he had been searching for, a scroll. Upon which lay a wax seal, the seal depicting a crimson flower set upon a silver stem. Vexariz was the Chieftain of the Balearii upon the island of Kyrnos, but all knew who it was that stood above him. The one who gave the bearded giant his marching orders and was responsible for the rapid rise of the clan.

Tritus observed Vexariz with feigned indifference, yet his curiosity was obvious as his eyes were constantly attempting to catch a glimpse of the words upon the paper, to no avail. “There is no need for that Tritus, obviously I will keep you and Cauaria informed of anything important, just give me a second to finish getting through it… academics was never really my strong suit you know.” Tritus did not deem it necessary to respond, the fact was that everyone was aware of that, their chieftain was an excellent fighter, but he did not possess the mind that his daughter did.

As Vexariz continued to read the letter a wide smile crept ever upwards upon his lips. “Tritus, go and find my daughter. It would appear our vacation is cut short. I will be heading back to the forges in Grenne, I must organize some things for our trip.” Vexariz stomped over to a nearby tree, embedded within the trunk was his wicked two-handed axe, its steel blade glinting in the sunlight. The haft was a mixture of wood and bone, enveloping one another and extending the length to that of an average man, the weapon a gift from his teacher.

“Chieftain, that is well and good, but you have yet to inform me what I need to go and find the young lady for…” For his part Vexariz scratched his head in embarrassment, realizing that he had failed to relay the information, once again having gotten lost in his thoughts.

“Apologies Tritus… The scroll was a message from the Great Chief’s agents in Myrmien. The message appears to be dated from two weeks ago, so we may already be late. I presume the pirate activity clogging up the Straits of Merlab and the Adrite Sea are to blame. In either case, we need to get the Sawtooth prepped for departure.

I’m sure my teacher would love to see the first of his new designs in action. As for my daughter, I would like her as my first mate… give her a taste of the new vessels, I’m positive it will be a great experience for her. In either case we need to depart no later than tomorrow morning if we wish to arrive at Shadowmoon cove within the week.” Bowing his head slightly the elderly Tritus headed off into the woods, his eyes focused on the bear tracks left behind by Gulgul.

Vexariz took one last glance at the place where his daughter and her tutor had disappeared before turning toward the nearby mountains. Hefting his axe onto his shoulder, he began his lonely march uphill, smoke rising from the town of Grenne, a sign of numerous forges hard at work.

Hello again everyone,

Just a reminder that the new release schedule will be Thurs-Sun, so you won't get anything on Mon. This week was special and the Mon chapter was for the switchover.

So, I'll just mention that I'm planning a kickstarter in the next week probably, to fund an illustrated primer. Basically a book with images depicting the creatures, weapons, armor, items and flora of this world. It will encompass the 1st 3 books, so even without book 3 out yet, you will be able to get a scale of how large some of the beasts are and what they look like. I am quite excited for this project. We will see how it goes.

Other than that, we finally get introduced to Gulgul, Cauaria's pet, a very lazy bear. Big Papa Vex is not happy with lazy bear, and daughter is not happy with Papa picking on bear. Either way we get to spend a little more time as the main convoy does some boring stuff off screen, maybe they blow up a few more bandits in the name of science! Or magic... Who knows???

Clearly the clan is not that numerous, and they have their own issues, but I'm sure the mention of beast taming has gotten your interest... Well that is information for another time perhaps. Hate me if you must, but why the hell else would I introduce direwolves, big crimson bear, and dare I say big cat?

But seriously, I personally like having these members of the same faction separated, it gives us the ability to switch when needed from one group to another, but both being on the same side. We've gotten a glimpse of their strength and ingenuity from the earlier pirate raids at the beginning of the book, and we'll get to see a little bit more.

So, keep your eyes peeled, there are always things that come into play later down the road. Sometimes you might even forget they happened, and realize it a year from now perhaps. We will see.

Good Luck and Godspeed

As always, just a reminder that Book 1 is now on amazon kindle. You can get both a Electronic version or a Paperback, those are available. Perhaps you would think about leaving a review based on the views you have had of this series, I would really appreciate that as it would help boost the profile.

Thank you very much, here is the link if you do not have it already: Fate's Bough Amazon page US - think about leaving a review

1